Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
So, I think at some point I want to either roll up a character named Sir Stock the Soup Knight or rename my current character. Dilemma is that I don't know what to use outside of duel wielding ladles, one hand dark pyromancy flame and the other normal flame. What outfit would be good for a soup dispenser of justice?

Also, costume ideas for wielding two work hooks under the guise of 'Double Handputee'?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burntpork
Jan 25, 2010
Heavenly Thunder + Emit Force is nasty. People either get too close and get hit (or are in melee range) or they back off enough so Emit Force hits at its optimal range. It's very good for controlling spacing.

Just beware anyone with a high casting speed..

burntpork fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jun 18, 2014

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I really don't get why emit force is considered a good PvP spell. People say its hard to avoid but assuming there aren't latency issues I never have trouble avoiding it. Its not terrible but I've heard people say the lightning spear spells are awful and then say emit force is good, which makes no sense to me. Both seem trivial to avoid when you're prepared for them.

VVV :rolleyes:

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jun 18, 2014

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Internet Kraken posted:

I really don't get why emit force is considered a good PvP spell. People say its hard to avoid but assuming there aren't latency issues I never have trouble avoiding it. Its not terrible but I've heard people say the lightning spear spells are awful and then say emit force is good, which makes no sense to me. Both seem trivial to avoid when you're prepared for them.

Not everyone is the same as you, hth

burntpork
Jan 25, 2010
It's good because it's more reliable than GLS as a faith caster. To be honest, everything can be avoided with the right timing.

burntpork fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jun 18, 2014

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug
So I'm in the Iron Keep, is there a trick to traversing the hot rocks? Stacking fire resist doesn't seem to do anything to mitigate.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

I haven't played in a couple weeks, has there been any patches since then I should know about?

Linux Nazi posted:

So I'm in the Iron Keep, is there a trick to traversing the hot rocks? Stacking fire resist doesn't seem to do anything to mitigate.

there's water vases you can roll into that help stack fire resist but really you're not going to make it without the Pyromancy Flash Sweat, which is sold by Rosabeth. most of the loot is pretty bad though.

burntpork
Jan 25, 2010

Linux Nazi posted:

Full smelters (or other high fire resist armor), Orange burr, flash sweat pyromancy, and some lifegems/mushroom. If you're near a bull-shaped vase you can coat yourself with water by rolling through them.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.
Pharos Lockstone that makes the pool of water just before smelter fight also counts the same so you don't have to smash the jars in the entry hiding place then leg it, just roll about in the water.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Is there anything particularly good on the fire rocks?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Elysiume posted:

Is there anything particularly good on the fire rocks?

Chaos Storm and Phoenix Parma (not a terribly good shield but it's unique).

Internet Kraken posted:

VVV :rolleyes:

For some reason a decent amount of people have trouble dodging it. I'm not sure why either, since it has the exact same dodge timing as most of the projectile spells.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Chaos Firestorm is in the chest where the lever that drop the turtles in the lava is.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

burntpork posted:

It's good because it's more reliable than GLS as a faith caster.
You can also deliberately aim at the wall/floor/geometry to hit someone instead of locking onto them and watching them roll through it.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Genocyber posted:

For some reason a decent amount of people have trouble dodging it. I'm not sure why either, since it has the exact same dodge timing as most of the projectile spells.

I agree that it isn't personally particularly hard to dodge but I could see how the animation/effect is a little less clear to some people

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I think it has a wider horizontal hitbox too, but that's not a problem if you roll forward to dodge it. Magic in general is about catching the other guy in a bad position for pvp though. If you ever get hit by a great resonant soul or lightning spear it's because you hosed up (or you're lagging, but that goes without saying). In general though if it's a projectile roll forward, an aoe roll backward, and anything else roll diagonally forward.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Man, Lost Bastille is really, really fun. I've been having a blast with every area so far, actually.

I've been upgrading and using the Heide Straight Sword so far... is that a newbie trap?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

sector_corrector posted:

Man, Lost Bastille is really, really fun. I've been having a blast with every area so far, actually.

I've been upgrading and using the Heide Straight Sword so far... is that a newbie trap?

It's not a newbie trap like the drake sword from DS1 is. If you like it, continue using it as long as you are upgrading it. There's not much in the game that's resistant to lightning.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

sector_corrector posted:

My first play through I used that until I got the sword after pursuer, which I've never found a replacement for. The move set is just so good.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It falls off pretty hard by Drangleic and I would not recommend keeping it. Especially if you aren't increasing faith at all.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

sector_corrector posted:

It's amazing how much stuff there is there even though the level doesn't feel that massive.

quote:

Linux Nazi posted:

My first play through I used that until I got the sword after pursuer, which I've never found a replacement for. The move set is just so good.

I used either the Heide Knight or Drangleic Sword until I had the Claymore leveled up to +5 or so, because it was only at that point that it outdamaged the Drangleic. I continued to use the Heide at +10 for the rest of the game, although I switched pretty much solely to the Barbed Greatsword and Claymore by the end.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

sector_corrector posted:

Are you upgrading your Faith? If yes, then nope. That's perfectly legit. I recommend making it a Lightning Heide Sword when this is available to you.
If no, then it's serviceable but I recommend finding other weapons.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'll probably try to find something else relatively soon then.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
If you're going to do the Iron Keep fire runs, put the Hexer set on. Flash sweat + red quartz ring + hexer set = no damage until flash sweat wears off. And you have low encumbrance.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Beat my offline first playthrough of DSII: it was pretty good, but I feel mostly confused from the lore. Doesn't really feel tight like the first game. I don't even really understand the final boss. I guess that queen I saw in Drangleic Castle was Nashandra the whole time and she was just waiting for...something so something? I don't know, don't really care. I found a Greatsword in No Man's Wharf and from that point on it was just like no other weapon could come close. Got that bitch to +10 and called it a day, went 40/40 str/dex and thwacked dudes.

Also I've now gone through Earthen Peak -twice- without knowing about the windmill poison thing. Definitely not something the game tries to obviously show you. If you sit down and -think- about it, maybe, you might be able to come up with 'windmill pumps poison up to the antechamber' but for the life of me I didn't see it death after death. Eventually I think I did it by just getting a pretty good chunk of poison resist items so I could go longer before having poison applied and reapplied to me, and then I just crushed Radiant Lifegems like a motherfucker so I could get sustained healing that counteracted the poison.

Shoutouts to the Drangleic 'kill enemies within proximity of these things to have the statues/doors open by sucking in souls' mechanic. Felt like I was loving playing Megaman X watching a mechanic unfold organically through playing.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

NTT posted:

Beat my offline first playthrough of DSII: it was pretty good, but I feel mostly confused from the lore. Doesn't really feel tight like the first game. I don't even really understand the final boss. I guess that queen I saw in Drangleic Castle was Nashandra the whole time and she was just waiting for...something so something? I don't know, don't really care. I found a Greatsword in No Man's Wharf and from that point on it was just like no other weapon could come close. Got that bitch to +10 and called it a day, went 40/40 str/dex and thwacked dudes.

Here comes a huge :spergin: lore explanation about DS2's plot (thus far): Nashandra was waiting for the next monarch to ascend and take the throne because she isn't capable of doing it herself. At some point, Vendrick finally realized that the peace Nashandra brought to Drangleic wasn't idyllic but was instead the Dark itself, which is where the Undead Curse stems from. Vendrick and Lord Aldia did horrible things to find out the very essence of what the souls are and even created the Emerald Herald as a stopgap and but it ultimately failed. Aldia was sequestered away in his keep and the Shrine where it's presumed that he experimented with the Giants to become a false deity (the Ancient Dragon).

He wanted to supersede the innate desire of humanity, which is desire and want. Vendrick, however, felt like this was inevitable and took measures to keep Nashandra away from the Throne of Want. These measures are the Milfanito, which pacify those who are touched by the Dark, Agdayne and the Grave Wardens who watch over the Crypt, his loyal knight Velstadt and ultimately the Throne Watcher and Throne Defender who are the final defensive measures against those who wish to sit the throne. All of these measures were set in place by Vendrick so that Nashandra couldn't take the throne and bring about an Age of Dark. The Chosen Undead removed all of these barriers for her and made it possible for her to finally attempt what she's truly desired for all of these years. She is literally driven by the same primitive desire that drives all children of the Dark (humanity) and Dark Souls 2 is about how that cycle is unbreakable in the end.

ninjaiguana
Aug 1, 2009

Holy shit! I have a tail?!
Finally completed the game! Just got to go kill Vendrick, and then it's all about waiting for the DLC.

Fashion Sooooouls

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
Beat the game with punchman, it was fun. I found overall that the lack of range was often to my detriment, despite the advantages of being able to flail fists with no care for stamina.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
What SM are people in NG on the later areas? It's like all summon signs vanish after sentinels/iron keep. I'm at 1.1 SM at drangleic castle approach and I don't see any signs nor am I getting summoned. Am I too high? Too low? I haven't the faintest.

I figured getting co-op should be easy for any area in NG.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I finished the game around 2.8m because I did a lot of coop and PvP, as well as a lot of wandering around. End result was getting summons/being summoned became a huge pain towards the end.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Coolwhoami posted:

Beat the game with punchman, it was fun. I found overall that the lack of range was often to my detriment, despite the advantages of being able to flail fists with no care for stamina.

Did you have issues with Nashandra on your punchmans like I did? Because I breezed through most of the game but for some reason Nashandra killed me several times before I was able to put her down.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Holy poo poo, I just got invaded in Lost Bastille at like 100k SM. Not only that, a blue cop came to my aid (and then fell off a cliff or something). Killed the invader myself, but I gotta say it took me completely by surprise.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

Vanderdeath posted:

Here comes a huge :spergin: lore explanation about DS2's plot (thus far): Nashandra was waiting for the next monarch to ascend and take the throne because she isn't capable of doing it herself. At some point, Vendrick finally realized that the peace Nashandra brought to Drangleic wasn't idyllic but was instead the Dark itself, which is where the Undead Curse stems from. Vendrick and Lord Aldia did horrible things to find out the very essence of what the souls are and even created the Emerald Herald as a stopgap and but it ultimately failed. Aldia was sequestered away in his keep and the Shrine where it's presumed that he experimented with the Giants to become a false deity (the Ancient Dragon).

He wanted to supersede the innate desire of humanity, which is desire and want. Vendrick, however, felt like this was inevitable and took measures to keep Nashandra away from the Throne of Want. These measures are the Milfanito, which pacify those who are touched by the Dark, Agdayne and the Grave Wardens who watch over the Crypt, his loyal knight Velstadt and ultimately the Throne Watcher and Throne Defender who are the final defensive measures against those who wish to sit the throne. All of these measures were set in place by Vendrick so that Nashandra couldn't take the throne and bring about an Age of Dark. The Chosen Undead removed all of these barriers for her and made it possible for her to finally attempt what she's truly desired for all of these years. She is literally driven by the same primitive desire that drives all children of the Dark (humanity) and Dark Souls 2 is about how that cycle is unbreakable in the end.

Still lookin for someone who has some idea what her plan was after becoming the final boss. Kill the bearer of the curse? Doesn't work that way, lady

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

burntpork posted:

Full smelters (or other high fire resist armor), Orange burr, flash sweat pyromancy, and some lifegems/mushroom. If you're near a bull-shaped vase you can coat yourself with water by rolling through them.
As a cautionary note, don't use orange burr because it will either overwrite flash sweat or be overwritten, and it's not as strong*. There's also a Fire Seed in the third lava-floor room, on the same pathway as Chaos Storm.

* Does anyone actually use burrs or troches ever?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
The special attack on the Bow of Want does less damage than a normal attack with a magic arrow. Is it scaling off of something weird?

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Space Hamlet posted:

Still lookin for someone who has some idea what her plan was after becoming the final boss. Kill the bearer of the curse? Doesn't work that way, lady

She desired the strength of the Great Souls. The description for her souls reads:

Soul of Nashandra posted:

Soul of Nashandra, Queen of Drangleic.
Nashandra was born of the Dark with an insatiable lust for strength.

If she had the strength of Vendrick and the Bearer, it's unlikely that anyone else could stop her from ushering in an Age of Dark. Bringing about the Dark and the Abyss is exactly what happened to Oolacile in Dark Souls 1, so it's definitely A Bad Thing.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

Vanderdeath posted:

She desired the strength of the Great Souls. The description for her souls reads:

If she had the strength of Vendrick and the Bearer, it's unlikely that anyone else could stop her from ushering in an Age of Dark. Bringing about the Dark and the Abyss is exactly what happened to Oolacile in Dark Souls 1, so it's definitely A Bad Thing.

Since when can anyone get that by killing the player character? That's good news for the skeleton dog in the tomb of the giants

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Space Hamlet posted:

Since when can anyone get that by killing the player character? That's good news for the skeleton dog in the tomb of the giants

That's game mechanics versus plot mechanics. That's sorta like asking why didn't Cloud use a Phoenix Down to save Aerith in FF7. Besides, there's very few people in Drangleic that aren't fully Hollow yet. A skeleton or Royal Swordsman couldn't do crap with those souls because they're just mindless shells. It's funny to think that there could be some super skeleton that gets the Quickening after murdering you though.

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe

Space Hamlet posted:

You're her final boss.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Mehrunes posted:

You're her final boss.

She needs to "git gud" then because i beat the poo poo out of her both times through the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

Vanderdeath posted:

That's game mechanics versus plot mechanics. That's sorta like asking why didn't Cloud use a Phoenix Down to save Aerith in FF7. Besides, there's very few people in Drangleic that aren't fully Hollow yet. A skeleton or Royal Swordsman couldn't do crap with those souls because they're just mindless shells. It's funny to think that there could be some super skeleton that gets the Quickening after murdering you though.

If that's the case, that's a drat shame. I mean it would be one thing if the game weren't explicit about your permanent undeath being a thing in the plot, and not just the game - that is the entire premise of the plot, so staking its main antagonist's motivations on conveniently ignoring that little thing seems pretty dumb.