Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

hooman posted:

"Foreign" "Aid"

e.

CATTASTIC fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jun 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypation
Jul 11, 2013

The White Witch never knew what hit her.

adamantium|wang posted:

Ahahahaha. Looking forward to the election.

The article has it's facts wrong. The correct facts include:

State Exec called for nominations for preselection for the seat of Riverstone.
MP Kevin Conolly nominated as did Jess Diaz.
Jess Diaz later withdrew his nomination.
Kevin Conolly was selected as the liberal candidate unopposed.

Now you get a 17 member branch vote which somehow has been reported to have "disendorsed" the candidate. Well that's all rather ludicrous. Under the Constitution of the Liberal Party of Australia NSW Division, only the State Exec can cancel an endorsement. The only possible actual process to disendorse the guy is for the Conference (not one small branch) to vote to recommend to State Executive that State Executive Consider disendorsing him for [insert good reasons here]. At which point State Exec considers the reasons and considers whether to use its special powers to disendorse the candidate.

So the use of 'special powers' is actually required to disendorse the candidate. The weird thing is that according to the article somehow reopening a preselection is not a use of special powers by State Exec...
To say there is no endorsed candidate is plain wrong.

Edit: To say Diaz and the Riverstone Conference is not a clusterfuck of an organisational stupidity is also wrong. I would not want to be a member of that Conference where your choice is the hard right or Diaz.... I'd be applying for "membership at large" and preferencing ALP most likely.

Hypation fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jun 18, 2014

Hypation
Jul 11, 2013

The White Witch never knew what hit her.

Haters Objector posted:

The Greens have been doing this heaps and it loving pisses me off

We pay our interns.

Its amazing that we get grads interviewing that have work experience at other advisory firms providing financial advice as consultants out of their own contracting companies when they have no financial services license; or when they are not supervised.

We also encourage interns not to work more than 10 hours a day and order them to go home if they work 12 or more and our team members are told not to mail or call them outside work time to do work and not to have them come to the office on weekends to work unless the MD signs off on it as being absolutely necessary - and then they get paid extra for working on the weekend.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFbEALhcYPs

"Puppet Government: Closed for Business".

Members of the Cabinet are literally muppets.

Chrodyn
Apr 10, 2007

Mithranderp posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFbEALhcYPs

"Puppet Government: Closed for Business".

Members of the Cabinet are literally muppets.

This is pretty great. I hope they make more.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug
The changes to foreign aid sound really loving ominous but private companies have had their snouts in the aid trough for a long time. A bunch of construction / engineering companies (offhand including Cardno, Coffey and Sinclair Knight, I'm sure there's others) have had international development arms for ages. They're usually better skilled at providing whatever service is being delivered through a given aid project (i.e. water, sanitation, roads) than local counterparts, less corrupt,more likely to comply with reporting and transparency regimes, and are easier to oversee than foreign companies.

Of course, AusAIDs ability to provide oversight of these contracts is certainly up for question now that they've been merged with DFAT and likely substantially downsized, but that's a different argument.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Melbourne goons help me out -

Trying to organise a bucks night dinner / drinks and it seems everyone won't take bucks because we are generally losers. We aren't looking for anything raunchy, just a good pub meal (or meal at all) with capacity for 15-20 blokes to have the meal and then mingle with hopefully a drink package, but not just like in our own room the entire time. Somewhere inner suburbs but not city. Richmond looks flat out of everything. Hoping to keep it under $90-100 per person for food + at least 3-4 hours of drinks

wtf melbourne.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
Something like a German or Belgian beer hall would definitely take you, we've done something like that in Sydney before. Just set up a tab at the bar. Also whatever you do don't call it a bucks night when you book.

Fruity Gordo fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Jun 18, 2014

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
We found a place crisis over but yeah I think just general Australians have ruined bucks nights forever

gently caress this country

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
When is Hansard released for each day? I was kind of out of it, but I'm pretty sure someone was repeatedly calling someone else a fag in the senate repeatedly. There may have been context, or I may have misheard and want to double check.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

teacup posted:

Trying to organise a bucks night dinner / drinks and it seems everyone won't take bucks because we are generally losers. We aren't looking for anything raunchy, just a good pub meal (or meal at all) with capacity for 15-20 blokes to have the meal and then mingle with hopefully a drink package, but not just like in our own room the entire time. Somewhere inner suburbs but not city. Richmond looks flat out of everything. Hoping to keep it under $90-100 per person for food + at least 3-4 hours of drinks

wtf melbourne.

What fruity said. I tried booking a bucks and they said no. So I called the next day to book a birthday.

Ol Sweepy
Nov 28, 2005

Safety First

teacup posted:

wtf melbourne.

Not a melbournite but paintball is a great bucks party idea. Then go out for drinks after, nurse the bruises.

e;fb

Ol Sweepy fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Jun 18, 2014

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Does auspost ever deliver packages, because all I get is cards instead, and i'm sick of going to the post office.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

In Brisbane they sometimes do, my last few boxes from the States have shown up instead of cards.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

Haters Objector posted:

I'm pretty sure a lot of aid programs already get contracted out to NGO's, so this change in language makes me think that it's going to be megacorporations buying the rights to suck whatever profit they possibly can from the poorest countries in the world

Was at drinks with some friends the other day who more or less all work for a big NGO that's supposed to deal with aid in the middle east. Apparently one of their branches/projects just got 'caught' submitting entirely faked expenses, bills, project results, milestones, etc. Just magicked the whole project out of thin air and kept the money.

But since they're an NGO they're not going to do poo poo but fire them and close the 'project' because it would jeapordise existing and future grants. They've recently expanded massively so it's probably just growing pains associated with that but I can't imagine this "foreign aid through the private sector" shtick is anything but the born-to-rulers not having the patience or the maturity to pay lip service to the status quo. The current LNP remind me of one of those petulant princelings running around getting angry that his lords criticise him for raping scullery maids and riding down peasants. He doesn't understand that he can still do it, just like they all do, but it's important to hide it a bit better. They're just aggressively petulant -- still psychopathic, nothing has changed there, but spoiled rather than suave.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Does auspost ever deliver packages, because all I get is cards instead, and i'm sick of going to the post office.

They should leave the card if no one answers the door, but it's probably a contractor saving time by deciding no one's home and leaving the card.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Some of the drivers are lazy or they're really under pressure. There is one that is writing out the card as he rings the door bell. I've actually caught him doing it a number of times. I dont care though because they're probably getting screwed with delivery time KPIs or something.

Near me they have built parcel lockers at a couple of the petrol stations for people who get frequent deliveries. That way you don't have to gently caress around with cards and having to go to the post office or having your poo poo left out the front of your house. No idea how much they cost though.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
Most contractors decide which packages they're going to deliver before they even start their truck for the day. Apartments etc get pre-filled cards.

I can't remember if the packages for non-attempt deliveries are on board with the driver or not. I think they might get loaded them at the depot and then non delivered items go back to the local post office, but I just really can't remember. I had a conversation with a postal employee like 5-6 years back about it when I was desperately awaiting a parcel and I can't remember what the deal is.

But it's very common not to attempt deliveries and possibly the driver may not even have your package in the truck when he leaves the card (I'm not sure on this last part). If they rang the doorbell and waited 30 seconds for every package they'd never finish their daily run.

e: Maybe it depends on the contractor but even when I've been at home waiting all day, they haven't even rung the doorbell when I was living in apartments. They just leave the card and go. I think once I even left a sign up on my letterbox saying "Hi I'm home please deliver the package, I promise if you ring the doorbell I'll be here" and it didn't matter so that's where I'm getting the "may not even have the package with them" thing, but my memory is kind of hazy on that point.

Sulla Faex fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Jun 18, 2014

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
I don't mind them leaving cards because walking to the post office gives me something to do with my worthless life

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Get to know your local contractor and he will deliver the same Time every day.

Mine delivers just before I go to work. I get a lot of poo poo delivered and he knows me well enough.

Couriers are poo poo. Stayed home all day waiting for the door bell to ring, car in the driveway, flyscreen shut and front door open. Fucker slipped the card into the flyscreen and vanished, no doorbell, no knock.

Called and complained and they said "they can't deliver EVERYONES package on time." Well maybe they could if they actually delivered them.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Ler posted:

Those crazy fuckin' women!

http://blogs.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/timblair/index.php/dailytelegraph/comments/crown_our_crazy_queen/#pd_a_8127762

Clemantine Ford has been telling everyone to get on there and vote for her. She *really* wants that title lol.

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...
Not that many of us would care about what happens to someone that is likely to be guilty of sexual assault and/or rape but something is happening with Assange:

WikiLeaks @wikileaks · 18m
There has been a significant new development in the #Assange case. Mr. Assange's lawyers are expected to make a statement shortly.

e: unrelated but here's a nice read of Murdochs ties to the tobacco industry
http://rabble.ca/blogs/bloggers/donald-gutstein/2011/07/murdoch%E2%80%99s-ties-big-tobacco

Ler fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Jun 18, 2014

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Must be time to repost this:

http://vee.net/stuff/liberalpartyasshat/

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
^ rookie mistake by Tim Blair he should have posted pictures of the candidates so that voters can judge entirely based on physical appearance

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Bifauxnen posted:

In Brisbane they sometimes do, my last few boxes from the States have shown up instead of cards.

I got an ASOS order delivered today while I was out. The delivery person actually made the effort to open my screen door and place the package between the front door and the screen door so it wouldn't be in open view. I was quite impressed by that. In other suburbs I've lived in, however, the contractors aren't nearly as good.

e:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-06-18/fair-work-ombudsman-investigate-fruit-picking-exploitation/5533864

quote:

The Fair Work Ombudsman is preparing to launch an investigation into claims backpackers employed as fruit pickers in one of the country's biggest food producing regions are being underpaid by labour hire contractors and forced to live in illegal budget accommodation.

It's okay; soon they'll be able to exploit desperate young people on Newstart rather than those whiny backpackers.

The Before Times fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jun 18, 2014

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Well overdue if i may say so

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Oh good, neighborhood fireworks because some dudes did more sportsball things than the other dudes.

sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Laserface posted:

Oh good, neighborhood fireworks because some dudes did more sportsball things than the other dudes.

sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

Oh, Queensland lost; no wonder it's so quiet. I live within spitting distance of two major student pubs and it's so silent for an Origin night.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Laserface posted:

sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

Do you hate fun.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Do you hate fun.

No but I hate my dog sleeping on my head which will happen if fireworks continue.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
Sportsball is fuckin' grouse you nerds.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
Like any proud auspol poster, my favourite part was all the ball touching. That part was just aces. Best touching that I'd seen since, oh, the great touch of last year. But that wasn't anything compared to this year's effort.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Haters Objector posted:

Just the right one.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Haters Objector posted:

Just not rugby.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

I wasn't aware of this so thought I'd share it because some of you might not be aware of it either.

quote:

Adam Bandt on the Government's BSWAT scandal

The reason that we are debating the Business Services Wage Assessment Tool Payment Scheme Bill 2014 and related bill in this parliament is because of two men, two Australians: Mr Nojin and Mr Prior.

Mr Nojin is a worker who has cerebral palsy and epilepsy.

He worked in an 'Australian disability enterprise'—the term of art used in the sector.

He worked for a place called Challenge. One of the services that were offered by Challenge in which Mr Nojin was employed was secure document destruction. It is not the kind of business that is limited to disability enterprises but a business of the kind that you see generally in the office world. There were some other services that the enterprise offered but they were often on a fairly small scale.

Mr Nojin was asked to do a number of tests and tasks when he arrived there that corresponded with some of the work that he did. He was asked to collate pamphlets, which involved inserting fliers into
pamphlets; pen assembly, which involved fitting a ballpoint ink insert into a wooden pen casing; and feeding one crate of pre-sorted documents through a mechanical shredder. The court ultimately said — and I will come to the court case in a moment — that these tasks were simple and repetitive and involved no element of decision making.

There was no need to apply abstract concepts to the work that was being done and, in each case, the work involved simple physical manipulation of limited items. Mr Prior, the other worker who is the reason that we have this bill, is someone who is classified as legally blind, although he did have some vision. He was also classified as having a mild to moderate intellectual disability.

He worked for a different enterprise and, at the time of his first assessment under the test— the assessment tool that is the subject of this bill and the subject of the court cases—his time was split evenly between mowing lawns and some other general gardening tasks. At the time of his second assessment, 90 per cent of his time was actually spent mowing lawns. He was a blind worker, with a mild intellectual disability, who was mowing lawns.

The other 10 per cent of his time was spent raking and disposing of leaves, and he worked under direct supervision. When he went to work, they timed him and assessed how good he was at doing this work. It was found that he took 14 minutes to mow a five by 10 metre area of lawn and his supervisor took nine minutes to mow a similar area—so he took longer but it was not even twice as long as his supervisor. Again, you can look at the tasks that he was performing and, like Mr Nojin in the document centre, you can see that they were relatively simple and straightforward tasks that they were required to perform.

Then came the question of how much to pay these two workers, one of whom was mowing lawns and the other of whom was working collating documents and shredding documents and the like. This is when the enterprises applied what is called the BSWAT, Business Services Wage Assessment Tool, which is the subject of this legislation. When the enterprises put them through that assessment and applied that tool, they asked them questions that bore no relevance to the work that Mr Nojin and Mr Prior were doing, but it had a huge impact on them. When they were asked some of the questions—and I will give examples of some of them in a minute—these two intellectually disabled workers scored low; in fact, for some of the tests they scored zero.

As a result, their pay was substantially cut. Mr Nojin, for example, was assessed as competent for everything, except when they asked him questions like 'What workplace meetings do you attend, and what are these meetings for?' I think this is something that everyone who works in an office anywhere in Australia probably asks themselves a lot of the time, but they asked him and he could not give an acceptable answer and so he scored zero on the test for that part.

They asked him questions like, 'What are some other jobs that people do here?' Again, it was not very evident that it related in any way to the work that he was doing. He could not answer it, so he scored zero. Mr Prior was also asked questions which he found difficult to answer because of his intellectual disability
and which were not related to the mowing of lawns that he was doing.

For example, they asked him, 'How can you help others at work?' He replied that he would try not to get involved—and apparently that was not a good answer and so he was marked down. As a result of going through these tests and scoring zero for a number of things that were not related to the work that he was doing, Mr Nojin ended up being paid $1.85 an hour for doing work for an enterprise that he, by all accounts, including the account of his supervisor, was doing very, very well. It was just that when this tool was applied to him and he scored zero on a number of things, he lost money. It was the same with the other worker. As a result, they very, very bravely took the matter to court.

They took the matter to court believing that they were productive workers who were being massively underpaid, courtesy of a tool that the government had in fact approved. They argued that it was unfair and discriminatory, because someone who had an intellectual disability was never going to do well on that test and was always going to lose money, even though they could do the job very, very well.

In fact, Mr Prior, the lawn mower, at the time of the case going to trial had left that job and was working at Stawell Drycleaners, earning five times the wage that he had previously been earning. The Full Court of the Federal Court said to these two workers, 'You are right. This tool discriminates against you and this system that we have in place does not allow for you as workers with a disability to be paid properly in accordance with your productivity. In fact, by definition, especially if you are a worker with an intellectual disability, you will end up being worse off.' So they won. They were two courageous employees with a disability who took on the system and won. The Full Court of the Federal Court said, 'Yes, you're right. You deserve to be paid more.'

It takes a lot of guts to stand up and be the first ones to go through a legal challenge, but they did it. They did it not just for themselves but also for all those other tens of thousands of workers with a disability who also feel that they are being underpaid at the moment. Those workers have begun a class action to say, 'Just as Mr Nojin and Mr Prior got their just entitlements by going through the courts, so too are we entitled to do that.' This class action, for up to 10,000 workers, is underway.

It is because of that class action that we are seeing this bill. It is because the government now realises that, if Mr Nojin and Mr Prior were successful and were entitled to the basic principle of being paid in accordance with how good your work is, perhaps all of these other workers are as well. So, in what is nothing more than an attempt to derail this class action and disadvantage up to 10,000 workers with a disability in this country who are hoping for justice, the government has brought in this bill. The solicitor representing these employees with a disability calls this an abuse of power —and she is right.

She says that it will mean that those up to 10,000 workers who have a disability are likely, if they are successful in their claim, to have their compensation and their payments, the wages for their productive work, cut by about half. In other words, this bill is being brought in to head off a class action being brought by up to 10,000 workers with a disability.

In that respect, I am not surprised to see the government take action to ensure that the most vulnerable of workers do not get what they are legally entitled to, like Mr Nojin and Mr Prior did, but I must say I am surprised that Labor is supporting them. I am surprised that Labor is supporting the derailing of a class action being brought on behalf of up to 10,000 employees with a disability. I hear some hope in the comments from the Labor speakers that this matter will go to a Senate inquiry and they will look at it.

If, when this goes to the Senate, given that Labor and Liberal are going to vote it through here, the Senate inquiry does not change their minds, at a minimum Labor should look at how to protect those 10,000 workers who currently have a class action on foot. Otherwise, Labor will be responsible for saying to those 10,000 workers, 'You are not entitled to the same justice and victory that Mr Nojin and Mr Prior got.' Labor will be saying to them, 'While those two got through the gate early and, my goodness, a court said they were being underpaid and as workers with a disability they should be entitled to payment in accordance with how they contribute to the workplace, no, we agree with the government that you don't have the right to your day in court and that you should be forced into a humiliating settlement of about half of what you otherwise might have been entitled to.'

It appears to be the case that, unfortunately, this bill will get through this House, but I am not without hope that the process of the Senate inquiry, and perhaps a moment's reflection, will lead the opposition to understand that this is an unnecessary kick in the guts for up to 10,000 workers with a disability, at a minimum, let alone what it is going to mean for all of those who come afterwards.

Everyone in this chamber and in the other place would agree, without a shadow of a doubt, that we need a system at work that encourages employees with a disability to get into work and stay in work. I think that would be universally shared amongst everyone.

The question is: in this instance, with this bill, how much do you pay them? Do you pay them in accordance with their productive capacity and what they can contribute to a workplace? Do you say, 'How do you stack up compared with a worker who does not have a disability? Or do you say, 'We'll apply a test that allows you to be paid much, much less if you have an intellectual disability'?

That is what this bill is trying to get around. It is trying to erase the significance of Mr Nojin and Mr Prior, who took courageous action to hold a government to account. They deserve to be applauded and supported by this parliament; so does everyone involved in the class action who is following in their footsteps on the basis of their significant decision.

I conclude by repeating: it comes as no surprise that the coalition wants to take away the rights of low-paid workers, but I urge the opposition to have a rethink before this bill passes the Senate and to choose to stand up for those workers who are currently seeking justice through the courts and seeking the same right that every one of us would ask for, which is, 'Pay me according to the worth of the work that I do, not who you think I am.'

http://adam-bandt.greensmps.org.au/content/speeches-parliament/adam-governments-bswat-scandal

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Hold me, BCR. First Tone, now the blues.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
Holy poo poo beet. Guess I have some phone calls to make and letters to write tomorrow. :psyduck:

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Thanks Beet, I hadn't heard of that either. Sharing it around.

deathofmusic
Jan 3, 2001

IronicBeetCriminal posted:

Near me they have built parcel lockers at a couple of the petrol stations for people who get frequent deliveries. That way you don't have to gently caress around with cards and having to go to the post office or having your poo poo left out the front of your house. No idea how much they cost though.

Although convenient, these things are part of Auspost's master plan of charging us more for less.

http://auspost.com.au/parcels-mail/parcel-lockers.html

It's currently free to woo people into using them, whilst they're also looking to deliver mail less frequently.

As soon as there's enough people using these lockers and less mail being delivered to your door, they'll start charging for the lockers.

From the terms and conditions:

quote:

While there are currently no fees and charges for use of the Parcel Lockers service, in the future this position may be revisited. However you will be given adequate notice if Australia Post decides to introduce any fees or charges for this service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

deathofmusic posted:

Although convenient, these things are part of Auspost's master plan of charging us more for less.

http://auspost.com.au/parcels-mail/parcel-lockers.html

It's currently free to woo people into using them, whilst they're also looking to deliver mail less frequently.

As soon as there's enough people using these lockers and less mail being delivered to your door, they'll start charging for the lockers.

From the terms and conditions:

I don't think it's really a case of more for less as they aren't forcing anyone to use them nor are they reducing services elsewhere. Mail will still be delivered as per normal. This is about cost efficiencies in parcel deliveries, well missed deliveries really.

The fact they are currently free surprises (but not from a business model point of view) me as it would actually be more convenient for me to pickup my parcels from there than be confined to pick up from a post office during business hours and I'd be happy to pay for that convenience. Definitely gonna go get one now.

• Locked thread