Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

m.hache posted:

How did they even get a 2008 R2 license? I'm going to assume either A. It was volume license with downgrade rights or B. They are shady as gently caress.
Voting B, they probably had 2008 servers that they upgraded and figured "hey we can resell the old licenses. :downs:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

bitterandtwisted posted:

gently caress you, I'm a Vostro! :buddy:
Are all Dells this bad? We're starting to look at laptops for our next hardware refresh and the only two laptops on the state contract are a Dell and an HP. HP's looking better now...

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Knormal posted:

Are all Dells this bad? We're starting to look at laptops for our next hardware refresh and the only two laptops on the state contract are a Dell and an HP. HP's looking better now...
Latitudes aren't that bad, no. The 7440s are quite nice and substantially thinner/lighter than the 6420s/6430s.

We still have 6410s in production, and almost all of our 6400s have been replaced :shepicide:

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Knormal posted:

No. All of the Latitudes I've worked on are ridiculously easy to work on. Most also have a manual online that shows you how to tear it apart. They also have a page that offers all of the drivers for some of their models in a convenient cab file, which simplifies importing into MDT for image deployment.

Just stay away from the low end/budget lines like Vostro and you should be good.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

TWBalls posted:

They also have a page that offers all of the drivers for some of their models in a convenient cab file, which simplifies importing into MDT for image deployment.
That page is http://ftp.dell.com/

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Knormal posted:

Vostros all suck. The build quality is terrible on all the models I've worked on and superglue is a required tool for dealing with them.
Latitudes are pretty good. The older D830 and E5500 models are especially easy to work on, and the former just lasts forever (we still have a bunch in use and they're about 8 years old).

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Vostros were marketed as small business laptops. I.E. "too small to have a tech support department." I think they were designed with them being shipped back to Dell's home office every time they needed to be serviced as a preferred end goal.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Well yes, Vostros are pretty much babbys first laptop. They should not be used in any professional environment.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Make sure you bookmark this page too:

http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/enterprise-client/w/wiki/2065.dell-driver-cab-files-for-enterprise-client-os-deployment.aspx

And Latitudes are truly great to work on and with, once you have beaten your Dell rep into submission to get the config you want.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Knormal posted:

The worst I had was some Averatec, I forgot what model though. Same deal, hard drive was mounted underneath the motherboard and I could not for the life of me figure out how to get it out. It seemed to me like it was intentionally difficult and of course there was no online documentation for it.

I don't even remember what happened with that computer, I just remember I wasted about three hours on it and had to take a long break to cool myself down from the frustration.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
My company just bought four hundred Vostro 3460s a year ago before I had any clout here. Only 6 failed this year, but tons of them are already falling apart and generally are starting to look like pieces of poo poo. Dell wants to charge $330 a unit to extend the warranty :rolleyes:

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

nzspambot posted:

RAID 0 on the SBS server? CHECK

Had a client doing the same thing. He had an exchange server, file server, web server, AD server, MSSQL server, MySQL server and much more all running off one SBS server. System took 15 minutes to boot up fully. I like to think when he was setting it up he looked at the server role page and just said to himself, "Better check all these boxes, never know when I will need one of them."

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
A report came in

My manager looked at my solved tickets for today (He's got a new reporting tool) and found that i've only resolved 3. Sure, that looks shady as hell but i've not been doing my tickets, i've been helping the new guys with others, so i've explained that, all is cool.

He then tells me we need to be solving 15 tickets a day. there's 10 of us on first line and we usually get 100 calls or so a day. I should probably make a maths joke somewhere.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I hate that poo poo. Now people will be creating bullshit tickets so they can keep making the metrics.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

"GreenNight's coffee mug is empty." Impact: department, priority: 1, SLA: 15 minutes.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

"Bowel movement, priority 1. 30 minutes"

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

I love you. I had no idea this page existed and it will make my life so much easier.

evobatman posted:

Make sure you bookmark this page too:

http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/enterprise-client/w/wiki/2065.dell-driver-cab-files-for-enterprise-client-os-deployment.aspx

And Latitudes are truly great to work on and with, once you have beaten your Dell rep into submission to get the config you want.

And also you.

Geocities Homepage King fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jun 18, 2014

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
So I just passed my 074-409 exam thanks to Microsofts free exam voucher and was looking for other certs to nab.

Are recommended certs that I should go for? I can't really afford any in class courses (nor do I have the time to attend them) so hopefully something I can research in my own time and write an exam at a monitored testing center.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

There is a certification thread, but what I'd do is go to the MS cert page and login. It will tell you what certifications you are closest to getting with as few tests as possible.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

GreenNight posted:

There is a certification thread, but what I'd do is go to the MS cert page and login. It will tell you what certifications you are closest to getting with as few tests as possible.

Good call. I'm still waiting for my MCP logging information. Says it can take up to 7 business days for it to process.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

GreenNight posted:

I hate that poo poo. Now people will be creating bullshit tickets so they can keep making the metrics.

I literally just made 3 tickets. All of them were for "user called and asked for x, passed the call to x".

Like, there is no reason for me to make a ticket for that. The ticket is made, its in x's name. I'll put in a worklog that says I spent 1 minute (mandatory time requirements) passing the call, but there isn't a need to spam the user with emails, especially as an email gets sent every time a ticket is opened and another email when its resolved.

E: I should probably mention that they recommended that we do that for every call from now on.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jun 18, 2014

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

m.hache posted:

Good call. I'm still waiting for my MCP logging information. Says it can take up to 7 business days for it to process.

Mine hasn't updated in months, even after 2 phone calls. Pretty pissed at this point.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

AlternateAccount posted:

Mine hasn't updated in months, even after 2 phone calls. Pretty pissed at this point.

Well if I don't hear anything in the next week I'll give them a call. I want a print out of my cert.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

A ticket didn't come in:

:j: Where's the computer for our new hire?
:gonk: They never gave me a ticket, I'll get one right now!
:j: oh we don't put in tickets for new hires.
:psyduck: Then how do I know when we need to set one up?
:j: I just told you didn't I?

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Great Beer posted:

A ticket didn't come in:

This is why we require tickets for all new hires. What's that? An new hire came in and you need a laptop NOW? Too bad! You'll get it two days from now.

And we enforce this rule.

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

Great Beer posted:

A ticket didn't come in:

"Oh, well, we're a little swamped with critical issues right now. With a little luck, I might be able to get that to you on the 25th. That doesn't include shipping time, though."

Dell talk - Vostros suck. All of them.

And thank you for those links, everyone. You've made my life way easier.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

RadicalR posted:

This is why we require tickets for all new hires. What's that? An new hire came in and you need a laptop NOW? Too bad! You'll get it two days from now.

And we enforce this rule.

Well we get a separate ticket for each provision item for a new user, which is only slightly better. So a separate ticket for a laptop, docking station, monitor, phone and then for each piece of software etc etc etc

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Apparently I'm being fired today over Monday's DirectTV outage. The VP of HR was apologetic but told me I'd been warned that if any service went down I could be terminated.

What happened is that the DirectTV tuners for the executive TVs all run through a box I didn't know about in an electrical closet I don't have access to. The electrical outlet died and the box shut off so all the tuners lost contact with the satellite. The DirectTV tech arrived around 1pm and got the building management to open the closet where he found the problem. He ran an extension cord to another room to get the box back up.

I wasn't involved in the DirectTV install and up until Monday was not responsible for it. I probably should have known better, but still, this is ridiculous. It's only because the CEO wanted to watch the World Cup. If we'd lost TV on any other day he probably wouldn't have cared.

The VP of HR said she's giving the CEO the day to cool down and maybe be in a better mood. I said "This is a publicly traded company with over $1B in assets. No one's employment should hinge on the CEO's mood." and she just shrugged her shoulders, probably because she's glad she's not the one in the crosshairs.

I don't have any personal property here so I can leave at a moment's notice, but I refuse to resign until I have another job. They can drat well fire me if they want me gone. It's another absurd employment crisis for me, in a long career punctuated by absurd employment crises. It would be a revelation to be judged for once on my goddamn job performance. After over a decade in I.T. management it sickens me a bit to think that people believe I'm bad at my job because the drat TV signal went down.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

That's some bullshit. At will states, yay.

You need to work at a smaller org where you actually loving matter and it's harder to get rid of you at a moments notice.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
gently caress, that sucks. Sorry to hear about that, DT. :(

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Dick Trauma posted:

Apparently I'm being fired today over Monday's DirectTV outage. The VP of HR was apologetic but told me I'd been warned that if any service went down I could be terminated.

What happened is that the DirectTV tuners for the executive TVs all run through a box I didn't know about in an electrical closet I don't have access to. The electrical outlet died and the box shut off so all the tuners lost contact with the satellite. The DirectTV tech arrived around 1pm and got the building management to open the closet where he found the problem. He ran an extension cord to another room to get the box back up.

I wasn't involved in the DirectTV install and up until Monday was not responsible for it. I probably should have known better, but still, this is ridiculous. It's only because the CEO wanted to watch the World Cup. If we'd lost TV on any other day he probably wouldn't have cared.

The VP of HR said she's giving the CEO the day to cool down and maybe be in a better mood. I said "This is a publicly traded company with over $1B in assets. No one's employment should hinge on the CEO's mood." and she just shrugged her shoulders, probably because she's glad she's not the one in the crosshairs.

I don't have any personal property here so I can leave at a moment's notice, but I refuse to resign until I have another job. They can drat well fire me if they want me gone. It's another absurd employment crisis for me, in a long career punctuated by absurd employment crises. It would be a revelation to be judged for once on my goddamn job performance. After over a decade in I.T. management it sickens me a bit to think that people believe I'm bad at my job because the drat TV signal went down.

I am so sorry.

At the same time I can't help but laugh because of the sheer absurdity of it all. Then that just makes feed bad for laughing.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
I know you won't say but man I'd love to know which company this is that is ran by a literal child

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

That's poo poo news Dick Trauma. I know it's said way to often here without consideration to the cost but I would think getting a lawyer could pay for itself and then some.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
That's a shame, Dick. My condolences.

So we went to check some kiosks in the airport and it turns out that not only did a power outage last long enough to drain all the UPSes, it managed to gently caress up the overhead screens, and what's more, all of the kiosks have been blocked by our ISE system despite having submitted all nineteen MAC addresses almost a month ago for the white list.

Our network operations team is a real piece of work. Requests take forever and often just get ignored if managers aren't brought in. If we don't provide undeniable proof that we've done all the client side troubleshooting that we can, getting them to even just check a switch is goddamn impossible.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

BaseballPCHiker posted:

That's poo poo news Dick Trauma. I know it's said way to often here without consideration to the cost but I would think getting a lawyer could pay for itself and then some.

Hard to say, none of that is documented, just words from an HR drone.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

GreenNight posted:

Hard to say, none of that is documented, just words from an HR drone.

True, if it is documented that the DirecTV malfunction is the reason for the firing though he might have a case. Even if it isn't just letting a company know that you've hired a lawyer could be enough to get a settlement. Just really sucks for Dicktrauma though. I was so happy for him when he moved to this job.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

BaseballPCHiker posted:

True, if it is documented that the DirecTV malfunction is the reason for the firing though he might have a case. Even if it isn't just letting a company know that you've hired a lawyer could be enough to get a settlement. Just really sucks for Dicktrauma though. I was so happy for him when he moved to this job.

The root cause of the issue was an electrical outlet that died.

That's still not IT.

Still, at this point he's pretty much done. Even if Mr. CEO comes around and realizes his mistake, it's pretty much proof that he's out to get DT for something anyway, which means time to get the gently caress out anyway.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Dick Trauma posted:

I would make a wrongful termination claim. Its a large company, they will settle.

So you are being warned that you are going to be fired? That is definitely a first for me. I have seen people being warned that they are being laid off before... but fired? Seems like someone prodding you into quitting.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Jesus Christ, Dicks pod went from golden and glittering to shattered in a ceptic tank super quickly :(

Sucks to hear man.

e: I can't help but feel that, now that blackswordca's got a new job, that it's now a vicious cycle leading back to Dick Trauma

Migishu fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jun 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
DT you don't report to the CEO do you? If not, why isn't your boss or your some one in your chain calling bullshit on this manchild?

• Locked thread