Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

NFX posted:

Is that even a thing on a B235E? Do you mean the chain tensioner?

Yeah, it is. I'm assuming you are still a long serp. belt (4899548) and not a short belt (5590344)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

West SAAB Story posted:

You're going to have to take the tank out to do so. If you were closer we could stick my TechII on it and check the sender. :v:

Fun. Looks like I'll be doing this on Sunday.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Fun. Looks like I'll be doing this on Sunday.

..or just start resetting your travel odo when you refill and set your destination at XXX, where that is an estimate of a quarter tank? That way you won't have to trust the DTE.

I would have suggested your SID may be an issue, but since it flatlines in the drat instrument cluster, welp..

West SAAB Story posted:

Yeah, it is. I'm assuming you are still a long serp. belt (4899548) and not a short belt (5590344)?

To expand upon this: You definitely have a tensioner pulley if you are still running the long belt. If you did the short belt mod, you'll delete a roller and it'll be a little twitchy in neutral/parked at lower RPMs. You either go long, or short. There are fans of both. I had a short belt and went long because I didn't like the vibra-sage. YMMV. (your mileage may vibrate)

Viggen fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Apr 22, 2014

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the help. Shows how much I know about engines :downs:. Yeah, there's a belt and it's definitely the long belt using the extra pulley, but from what I can tell (without removing anything) it runs fine. When the car is just standing still and idling, there's nothing that sounds (or looks) off. I'm just gonna throw my car at a mechanic and see if he can figure it out.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

NFX posted:

Thanks for the help. Shows how much I know about engines :downs:. Yeah, there's a belt and it's definitely the long belt using the extra pulley, but from what I can tell (without removing anything) it runs fine. When the car is just standing still and idling, there's nothing that sounds (or looks) off. I'm just gonna throw my car at a mechanic and see if he can figure it out.

If its fine at idle, well, I'm thinking mounts - but I've never heard anything quite like what your audio illustrates that wasn't belt related. A quick test to do is to pop the hood, and start the car, then kick in and out of gear and see if the engine jumps. Before I replaced the mounts on my 2K LPT :dings:, it would lurch around like a convulsing rat terrier. :v:

Then again, I'm just a halfassed shadetree with a need for Swede (brain damage implied). Mario may pop back in and offer a bit more comprehensive suggestion.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

West SAAB Story posted:

..or just start resetting your travel odo when you refill and set your destination at XXX, where that is an estimate of a quarter tank? That way you won't have to trust the DTE.

Try telling my wife that, she's the one that does most of the driving with it. I've got a new level sensor on the way.

Mario
Oct 29, 2006
It's-a-me!

NFX posted:

I don't know anything about that engine specifically, so I can only think of general diagnostic suggestions. Though on my B204L I've run short belt routing for years and haven't had any noise issues.

If it was me, I'd put the front end up on stands and then accelerate in gear to see if the noise is repeatable. If it is, then use a mechanic's stethoscope to listen to various bits to narrow it down. You also could slacken the accessory belt and spin each pulley by hand to see if any feel rough.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Mario posted:

If it was me, I'd put the front end up on stands and then accelerate in gear to see if the noise is repeatable. If it is, then use a mechanic's stethoscope to listen to various bits to narrow it down. You also could slacken the accessory belt and spin each pulley by hand to see if any feel rough.

The last time I did this, I (eventually) discovered that the balance shaft literally wore through and fell in. Why that B204L didn't grenade is still up for grabs. Folks who grabbed her for parts were going to try to rebuild her with parts from their other 9000. Last I knew, they were both sitting in a field. :v:

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Dear Santa/Jesus/Sixten/Satan/Earth Goddess/Obama -

Please?

Thank you,
- viggy

Iskariot
May 25, 2010
The US front looks a hell of a lot better than the original. Very pretty specimen of the "Ur-turbo" that.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Iskariot posted:

The US front looks a hell of a lot better than the original.

Other than that goddamn bumper. I hate those. I really want a '78 99. It's loving beautiful.

:swoon:

So, I was just sent two SIDs in the mail.

I assume they want this one fixed. :zombie:

The other one was one of my refurbs that I guess they didn't pay attention to WHAT YEAR THEIR CAR IS, because the mostly-dead one above is for a '99-'01, and they bought a 2002 specific model. :confused:

Iskariot
May 25, 2010

West SAAB Story posted:

I assume they want this one fixed. :zombie:

The other one was one of my refurbs that I guess they didn't pay attention to WHAT YEAR THEIR CAR IS, because the mostly-dead one above is for a '99-'01, and they bought a 2002 specific model. :confused:

Aren't SID1 and SID2s are interchangeable if you program them using a Tech2? Possibly also changing the connector. I'm thinking of changing my SID2 to the 04 version but that means changing the connector and the remote control in the steering wheel. Right now I've put all those plans on hold while I look for another 9-5 estate.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Iskariot posted:

Aren't SID1 and SID2s are interchangeable if you program them using a Tech2? Possibly also changing the connector. I'm thinking of changing my SID2 to the 04 version but that means changing the connector and the remote control in the steering wheel. Right now I've put all those plans on hold while I look for another 9-5 estate.

For the most part, yes. There are minor little differences, but it's safest to just stick to whatever your car is setup for.

I made an ugly old-to-new adaptor for an '04 that I was going to put in the 2K Aero. Ended up just sticking a 12806125 in its place (newer universal), as it was before I had access to a Tech2 and I got tired of it bitching about the washer fluid in less than a day. :v:

Viggen fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Apr 26, 2014

underlig
Sep 13, 2007
Typical parking lot in :sweden:

The one with the food on the roof is mine, the car to the left was a black 93 wagon when i parked yesterday.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

underlig posted:

Typical parking lot in :sweden:

The one with the food on the roof is mine, the car to the left was a black 93 wagon when i parked yesterday.

My buddy in Sandviken is right - the 9-3 SCs with non-US spec early rear lamps do look awkward.

Here's a picture of them after they arrived, but not yet on the car (can't find them for some reason):

Yep, a Swede paid almost $700 for taillights. Made in Finland, handled by GM Europe (in Germany), shipped through the entire west coast of the US, and back to Scandyland.

I need to find a sponsor-in-crime in Sweden. So many wonderful car parts to pilfer.

Yay. Good used MAF (box removed from picture) and fender liner. If the wind fucks off for a couple minutes, maybe I can clean the car before replacing the latter. :w00t:

9-5 maintenance done in a few minutes with no blood loss. :effort:

Sun Greens' badge cover came off when I sprayed it, yesterday. Thankfully, I still had a couple of the self-applying stickers from that guy in Portugal. So far in my testing, they seem to survive just as long as the native emblems - don't require removal of double-stick tape and application of more plastic. They're also cheaper. A lot cheaper.

No idea what those strange reddish spots are showing in the picture. CCD in pre-smartphone may be on its way out. Looks kind of like wine was spilled on the car. v:v:v The chrome does need to be polished.

I ended up grabbing this kit to test-treat my leather to decide if I liked it, due to advice from none other than meatpimp. I just did the first application on the dark grey seats in the above car that have been ignored and abused for years. The leather is starting to tighten up and the grain is taking on the 'you will condition me, or I'm gonna split' look. Wanted to do it last year, but, well, couldn't. So far it does seem to be blending well with the darker shade and other than looking somewhat like the seats have been armor-all'd at the moment, I think I may just have a new go-to product for my seats. Thanks, mp.

Aeka 2.0 posted:

The "gently caress its" kicked in real hard on Sunday when I realized dropping the tank was going to be a pain in the rear end without a lift, and seeing various people cutting holes into their floor to get to the pump was disheartening. I've decided to make this somebody else's problem when my pockets can take the abuse. On a good note I cleared out room in the garage so a second car can fit in. But on a bad my wife arrived with a ton of poo poo because her friends are moving to China and promptly filled the garage.

Kick their poo poo outside. What do you look like, a storage shed? I made the mistake of storing 'a few things' for a friend of mine who promptly abandoned it for 4 years until I said "It's going to be donated next month, with or without consent." after being promised weekly that they would come get their poo poo. They came, loaded it up, and didn't leave with so much as a thanks (which was all that was expected). Never again.

Viggen fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Apr 29, 2014

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Try telling my wife that, she's the one that does most of the driving with it. I've got a new level sensor on the way.

The "gently caress its" kicked in real hard on Sunday when I realized dropping the tank was going to be a pain in the rear end without a lift, and seeing various people cutting holes into their floor to get to the pump was disheartening. I've decided to make this somebody else's problem when my pockets can take the abuse. On a good note I cleared out room in the garage so a second car can fit in. But on a bad my wife arrived with a ton of poo poo because her friends are moving to China and promptly filled the garage. So for now, the SAAB sits outside while the RX7 sits as ~*Garage Queen*~ status.

Iskariot
May 25, 2010
I had Speedparts cut a hole on my old OG9-3 to gain access to the pump. Saved me quite a few bucks as dropping the tank safely means they had to empty the tank, remove the exhaust (IIRC) and so on. A design faux pas on the OG9-3 (and probably the NG900) that SAAB thankfully fixed on the OG9-5.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
Rattle resolved:

Turns out the heat shield for the catalytic converter was loose. Huh. Glad it was something minor.

Dong Swanson
Jan 25, 2010
I ended up kind of impulse buying this thing off ebay.

1985, 8 months MOT, rust on the arches and "starting on the passenger side base". It came with four spare rust free doors and four spare shocks - seemed like a good deal at £420.

Hopefully I haven't bought a giant pile of crap.

Iskariot
May 25, 2010
420 GBP isn't "real" money. I gave more than that for my turbo. For that amount the car is allowed to have a couple of flaws. Looks decent in the pictures. I get weak in the knees looking at an OG900 a full air flow kit and those can be found once in a while. My dream OG900 will probably be Immola red or Odoardo gray:

Linked from http://www.saabarchive.net/

(For reference:)

As for myself I've just got the car cleared after an after-inspection of a MOT test (EU test or whatever you yanks call it). First go I got an error because the hand brake didn't catch sufficiently and... "suspected increased engine power". Whoops. Fixed that and showed it again today (first a governmental agency then the workshop that did the first test). Thankfully it passed even though one of the brake shoes was unevenly worn.

This is so much of a hassle that I'm thinking of converting the car into a proper Aero. I've already done the brakes so what's missing is a b235r and Aero sway bars. If I change that I can register it as a proper Aero and since it's older than 10 years, it won't cost anything other than the fee for showing it and changing the registration. Thing is, I will certainly be doing this for the one I'm going to buy, so I have to do it twice. :D

Edit:
Oh yeah. Got the "summer shoes" on. New BBS CH replicas with ET 42. Pirelli P Zeros. Awesome wheels.

Iskariot fucked around with this message at 11:45 on May 5, 2014

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

My Saab days have came to a temporary end. Sold my 9-5 wagon to a friend last weekend for $1500 since his car died on him and it's been sitting next to my house for 3 months.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

keykey posted:

My Saab days have came to a temporary end. Sold my 9-5 wagon to a friend last weekend for $1500 since his car died on him and it's been sitting next to my house for 3 months.

Wasn't one car dying bad enough? :v:

Francis Baconator
Jul 11, 2008

Thanks for the avatar man!
Found another lovely SAAB and your input is wanted:

2001 4 cylinder turbo, manual, 113K, cat/alt/front tires have been recently replaced.

They're asking $700. Catch is that the head gasket is bad and it's missing a fog light.How bad is that to deal with?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Am I asking too much for my saab?
http://wenatchee.craigslist.org/cto/4465352862.html

How do I fix the airbag light? I did some research a while ago and none of the solutions seemed easy.

Iskariot
May 25, 2010

Francis Baconator posted:

Found another lovely SAAB and your input is wanted:

2001 4 cylinder turbo, manual, 113K, cat/alt/front tires have been recently replaced.

They're asking $700. Catch is that the head gasket is bad and it's missing a fog light.How bad is that to deal with?
Head gasket can be replaced with the engine in the car but means a few hours of work. Question is: why did it go bad? Fog light is very easy to deal with. This is a 9-3 or 9-5?

n8r posted:

Am I asking too much for my saab?
http://wenatchee.craigslist.org/cto/4465352862.html

How do I fix the airbag light? I did some research a while ago and none of the solutions seemed easy.
No idea what prices are like over there but I'm going to guess that yes, it's too much.

Airbag warnings on the OG9-3 are a PITA to debug. I think most stem from the seats and poor connection to the sensors.

Francis Baconator
Jul 11, 2008

Thanks for the avatar man!

Iskariot posted:

Head gasket can be replaced with the engine in the car but means a few hours of work. Question is: why did it go bad? Fog light is very easy to deal with. This is a 9-3 or 9-5?
Sorry, forgot to mention, it's a 9-3.

ltugo
Aug 10, 2004

If there was a grading scale for torture I would give sleep deprivation and waterboarding a C-.
I have a 2000 9-5 Aero that sometimes flashes the central warning light when I accelerate out of a turn. It ONLY happens when I'm turning, but doesn't ALWAYS happen when I'm turning. Also, it only flashes for a moment and gives me the "bing-bong" noise. I didn't even spot the light coming on until recently when I happened to be looking at the dash. Any idea what could be causing this?

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
Sounds a bit like it's a liquid that's getting low. Oil (although that has a separate lamp) or coolant would be my guess.

ltugo
Aug 10, 2004

If there was a grading scale for torture I would give sleep deprivation and waterboarding a C-.

NFX posted:

Sounds a bit like it's a liquid that's getting low. Oil (although that has a separate lamp) or coolant would be my guess.

It's definitely oil. The oil light flashes on and off very quickly - you really have to stare to catch it. One of the first things I did when I bought this car was drop the oil pan. It had no sludge and no obstructions in the pickup screen, so I know that can't be it. I'm wondering if maybe my oil pump is failing.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Could it be the Oil Pressure Sensor on it's last legs?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Someone should buy my 93. I'm to the point where I'd take 2k. The car is far too nice to take 2k for it :(.

underlig
Sep 13, 2007
I'm the worst mechanic.

That P1110 errorcode i've had on the Aero since i bought it 1½ years ago? I found the hose. It wasn't hidden, i didn't even get oily hands when i attached it again. I can't believe how i've missed a small hose not connected to a bright white T -connector at the back of the engine.
Found it after swapping engine oil and accidently spilling 3L of used oil on the grass, the plug on the oil-collector thing i used wasn't open ..

Car's been running great since i fixed it, now i just have to fix those worn out sway bar links

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 226 days!)

How much does it piddle just standing? My random drips from the timing cover turned into a steady dribble out of nowhere. The gasket to the dipstick tube magically disintegrated within about a weeks' time. :iiam:

You ARE on PCV#6, right? If not, you are a bad, bad parent. If so, and you are sure that you're not coked up, and not leaking like a sieve, I'd still check the pan (a cheap inspection camera can do wonders),and double-check the sump and the strainer.

ltugo
Aug 10, 2004

Viggen posted:

How much does it piddle just standing? You ARE on PCV#6, right?

I do have a tiny leak somewhere up front, but I haven't found it yet. It's not the timing cover - I changed the gasket. I'm pretty sure it's not from the head gasket because I tightened the bolts. And yes, I did update to PCV#6, although the previous owner religiously changed the oil with Mobil 1, (got the documentation), so it was very clean anyway.

I'm taking it in to a local shop today to get the rear control arm bushings changed in order to meet Maryland State Inspection. While I'm there I think I'll ask them to change the oil pressure sensor. Crossing fingers.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

So, did you have any luck with that?

Of course, after getting my copy of TIS registered - the XP machine takes a poo poo. Spent most of yesterday rebuilding a hybrid of SP2/SP3 so I could boot, backup my licenses, and find that although it is the same drat computer, something magically changed and GM doesn't like that license anymore. Queue a whole goddamn evening wasted with my thumb up my rear end.

Just got T2View running (after some joy with GM Europe email getting the licensing taken care of) with the FTDI 2.08.24 WHQL USB->RS232 generic drivers at 115200, the last Java 1.5u45/32bit, doing a strange meld of IE6+IE8 to get everything to work OK with the outdated CGM subsystem (this machine got hosed with the repair install), and its now time for an appointment. Dammit, anyhow.

Should have my 2004 SID2 in place later today NOT bitching about the windshield washer fluid level :v:

West SAAB Story fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jun 12, 2014

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Of course I spoke too soon. Getting an annoying whine at low boost pressure, but no shaft play or oil leaking where it shouldn't be. No cloud when pushed, just a whine at low boost.

Also, the ABS is trying to take a poo poo. Started down the parking lot and lit up like a Christmas tree, no speedo. Wunderbar. :smithicide:

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Just replaced the "Orange" (Beam Check) relay after failing my state inspection for lack of hi-beams. Apparently these relays like to break the solder joints which result in loss of either high beams, low beams, or both.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Got a $20 eBay coupon. Spare/temporary ABS picked up for a song while I fix/destroy the one in the 2000 currently.

JayKay posted:

Just replaced the "Orange" (Beam Check) relay after failing my state inspection for lack of hi-beams. Apparently these relays like to break the solder joints which result in loss of either high beams, low beams, or both.

Yep. Sometimes it only affects one side, too. Fixing them is pretty easy. Use 3 small spudgers, bend under the clips, pop it off. Clean points and apply better solder with a higher melting point.

If you're just gonna toss it, I'll pay you a couple bucks to mail it, or for a couple bucks to cover return shipping, I'll trade you for a refurbished one. I must have at least a dozen just sitting there by now.

ltugo
Aug 10, 2004

Viggen posted:

So, did you have any luck with that?

Just heard back from the shop. Turns out it was just a couple quarts low and I don't know how to read a freakin' dipstick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

underlig
Sep 13, 2007

ltugo posted:

Just heard back from the shop. Turns out it was just a couple quarts low and I don't know how to read a freakin' dipstick.

Do you have the dipstick with the black or the grey measure? I've got the black one on both my Saabs and it's near impossible to tell what the level is.

** edit i just assumed they're the only ones :)

Also, i'm hearing some kind of tick or click from the rear tires when i drive faster than 40km/h, it doesn't sound like it's just once per tire rotation but instead a bit slower. It's almost as if i have a nail in each tire and it clicks when it hits the asphalt, only like i said slower.
Any suggestions?
I think i hear it from both sides of the car. I've only noticed it now since i drive with the windows rolled down (2000 9-5)

underlig fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jun 18, 2014