Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Buttcoins are the gift that keeps on giving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I want to believe this is real and that the sperglord mafia exists.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
Yeah most of those issues can be solved by presenting the letter. In fact they've probably been given an out to get any bad review deleted on that basis.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

I'm confused, are you saying you don't think buttcoiners would try something like this? Because buttcoiners would totally try something like this (and have).

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Nibbles141 posted:

Yeah most of those issues can be solved by presenting the letter. In fact they've probably been given an out to get any bad review deleted on that basis.

Presenting it to the police would result in even more fun. (Not for the attempted extortionist so much.)

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Yeahhhh all of those threats seem really stupid to put down into a printed out flyer, even for an "anonymous" group.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

quote:

Doesn’t Take It Lite-ly
Party | PA, USA | Food & Drink, Gatherings, Strangers

(I am at my best friend’s engagement party. I bring a case of Smithwick’s along since I know he and his fiancé usually stock mostly lite beer which I abhor with a somewhat irrational level of hatred. I make it known the beer is fair game and socialize a bit, end up chatting among a girl and a guy.)

Me: *noticing the girl has no drink* “Did you want a beer? I brought along a case of Smid’ick’s”

Girl: “No, thanks. I don’t like beer.”

Me: “You don’t like beer!? What kind of beer have you been drinking that you say you don’t like beer?”

Guy: “Dude, she doesn’t have to have a beer if she doesn’t want to.”

Me: “I’m aware of that, and some people just don’t like beer. But usually when someone says that I find they’ve only ever drank piss-water in the past, so now I’m curious. What kind of beer are you thinking of when you say you ‘don’t like beer’?”

Girl: “I’ve only really drank beer in college, and then it was usually normal stuff like [lite brands], stuff like that.”

Me: “Well see, there’s your problem. Lite beer is not beer. It’s just bad tasting water. You’ve never had a beer before. Why don’t you try a sip of this and see if you like it.”

Guy: “Man, chill out. She says she doesn’t like beer. She doesn’t have to have beer!”

Me: “You chill out. She’s only had lite beer in the past.”

Guy: “Lite beer is still beer.”

Me: “No. No, it’s not. You’re just spewing gibberish right now. [Girl], this is a fairly good basic lager. It’s not too strong. Would you like to try a sip to see if you like it better than the s*** you had in the past?”

Guy: “She doesn’t have to like beer!”

Me: “I’m not forcing her. I’m asking her. I think beer is a good thing, and if I can spread some joy to someone who doesn’t know it can be good, I’ve done my duty. [Girl], would you like to try?”

Girl: *shrugs* “Eh, why not.”

(She tries a sip while the guy basically scoffs at me.)

Girl: “Hmm, it’s not that bad.”

Me: “There, see? Real beer is pretty good.”

(About a minute passes. Conversation continues normally.)

Girl: “Actually, [My Name], could I get one of your beers?”

Me: *giving [Guy] a smug look* “Absolutely you can!”

This sounds like someone transcribed a commercial.

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

Tunicate posted:

That's the guy at every party who brings a sixer of a non-super cheap beer and proceeds to talk to everyone about how he's super into beer while he nurses a single beer over the course of the entire party.

Also I like how he had to spell out Smithwick's in a way so everyone knew he was pronouncing it the correct way.

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009

Biff Rockgroin posted:

That's the guy at every party who brings a sixer of a non-super cheap beer and proceeds to talk to everyone about how he's super into beer while he nurses a single beer over the course of the entire party.

Also I like how he had to spell out Smithwick's in a way so everyone knew he was pronouncing it the correct way.

This is my dad. :( I've had to sip all kinds of nasty "good" :smug: beer since he started getting into it like five years ago. Now my mom's getting that way about whiskey.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

Biff Rockgroin posted:

That was hands-down the best part. Well, that and imagining the poor woman getting ham-handedly pestered by some fedora about her booze choices. This one sounds like it happened, it just didn't happen the way the writer thinks it did.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
To be fair I've had that situation happen except I was both the girl and the random guy who speaks for her in that story (which is to say I spoke for myself instead of having some dude fight for me randomly), and also I still didn't like beer in the end. This reads like the guy pestered someone into drinking something they didn't like and they confirmed to him they didn't like it, so he went home and wrote this post about what SHOULD have happened.

Rat Patrol has a new favorite as of 21:56 on Jun 17, 2014

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

quote:

Doesn’t Take It Lite-ly
Party | PA, USA | Food & Drink, Gatherings, Strangers

(I am at my best friend’s engagement party. I bring a case of Smithwick’s along since I know he and his fiancé usually stock mostly lite green eggs and ham which I abhor with a somewhat irrational level of hatred. I make it known the green eggs and ham is fair game and socialize a bit, end up chatting among a girl and a guy.)

Me: *noticing the girl has no drink* “Did you want a green eggs and ham? I brought along a case of Smid’ick’s”

Girl: “No, thanks. I don’t like green eggs and ham.”

Me: “You don’t like green eggs and ham!? What kind of green eggs and ham have you been drinking that you say you don’t like green eggs and ham?”

Guy: “Dude, she doesn’t have to have a green eggs and ham if she doesn’t want to.”

Me: “I’m aware of that, and some people just don’t like green eggs and ham. But usually when someone says that I find they’ve only ever drank piss-water in the past, so now I’m curious. What kind of green eggs and ham are you thinking of when you say you ‘don’t like green eggs and ham’?”

Girl: “I’ve only really drank green eggs and ham in college, and then it was usually normal stuff like [lite brands], stuff like that.”

Me: “Well see, there’s your problem. Lite green eggs and ham is not green eggs and ham. It’s just bad tasting water. You’ve never had a green eggs and ham before. Why don’t you try a sip of this and see if you like it.”

Guy: “Man, chill out. She says she doesn’t like green eggs and ham. She doesn’t have to have green eggs and ham!”

Me: “You chill out. She’s only had lite green eggs and ham in the past.”

Guy: “Lite green eggs and ham is still green eggs and ham.”

Me: “No. No, it’s not. You’re just spewing gibberish right now. [Girl], this is a fairly good basic green eggs and ham. It’s not too strong. Would you like to try a sip to see if you like it better than the s*** you had in the past?”

Guy: “She doesn’t have to like green eggs and ham!”

Me: “I’m not forcing her. I’m asking her. I think green eggs and ham is a good thing, and if I can spread some joy to someone who doesn’t know it can be good, I’ve done my duty. [Girl], would you like to try?”

Girl: *shrugs* “Eh, why not.”

(She tries a sip while the guy basically scoffs at me.)

Girl: “Hmm, it’s not that bad.”

Me: “There, see? Real green eggs and ham is pretty good.”

(About a minute passes. Conversation continues normally.)

Girl: “Actually, Sam-I-Am, could I get one of your green eggs and hams?”

Me: *giving [Guy] a smug look* “Absolutely you can!”

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

poo poo that did happen: people can't read.

EDIT: yeah, but was that not edited in? ah well, that's what I get for reading on my phone.

hallo spacedog has a new favorite as of 01:55 on Jun 18, 2014

A Classy Ghost
Jul 21, 2003

this wine has a fantastic booquet

hallo spacedog posted:

poo poo that did happen: people can't read.

If you're talking about what canyoneer posted maybe you should actually read it!

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

Grape Juice Vampire posted:

This is my dad. :( I've had to sip all kinds of nasty "good" :smug: beer since he started getting into it like five years ago. Now my mom's getting that way about whiskey.

It's very hard for some people to accept that I don't like beer and I prefer wine or hard liquor. Do people get this obsessive and pushy about other drinks? Like are there people passing out Mexican Cokes at parties insisting that non-soda drinkers just "haven't had the right soda yet"?

Megera
Sep 9, 2008

PUGGERNAUT posted:

It's very hard for some people to accept that I don't like beer and I prefer wine or hard liquor. Do people get this obsessive and pushy about other drinks? Like are there people passing out Mexican Cokes at parties insisting that non-soda drinkers just "haven't had the right soda yet"?

I was like this until my friend had me try a sweet Belgian ale called Tripel Karmeliet and another that I don't remember the name of. v:shobon:v Granted, they're two beers in a million, but if someone wants to me to try something at no cost on my part, I won't say no.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Megera posted:

I was like this until my friend had me try a sweet Belgian ale called Tripel Karmeliet and another that I don't remember the name of. v:shobon:v Granted, they're two beers in a million, but if someone wants to me to try something at no cost on my part, I won't say no.

Really I think for most people that like beer, and drink more than one kind of beer, the "first beer I had" and "first beer I liked" stories are very different ones. This is STDH not because it's an unusual sort of event, but because it's so stilted and unnatural. Like a commercial, yeah.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

:golfclap: Nicely done.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
A friend of mine microbrews. He's one of the best chefs I've ever met and the only thing he takes more pride in than his cooking is his brewing. He's skilled enough that he's opened his own, successful brewery.
I have tried the beer of this man, and beer sucks. Bring it, you pushy rear end in a top hat. :colbert:

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Tunicate posted:

["lite beer isn't real beer" argument]

This exact argument has happened in Goons with Spoons, along with:
"Do you put beans in chili?"
"Is a hamburger a sandwich?"
"What is the correct hot dog condiment?"

But even more aggressive and heated. It's entirely possible that it happened IRL too. A lot of people who have super-strong DEBATE ME opinions on certain foodstuffs are perfectly normal otherwise. It's strange how common that is.

edit: yeah the ending didn't happen, but the awkward argument at a relaxed party totally did happen.

WITCHCRAFT has a new favorite as of 08:01 on Jun 18, 2014

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
The Great Kazoo!

quote:

Demanding And Stupid In The Same Breath
BOOKSTORE | MA, USA | AT THE CHECKOUT, CRAZY REQUESTS, MUSICAL MAYHEM
(We’re a bookstore, but we also sell some smaller toys from a popular company known for their hand-crafted products. I’m covering the register on a slow night. A customer I rang out a few minutes earlier who bought a $3 wooden kazoo comes storming back into the store. Another customer reaches the register at about the same time, but holds back when she sees how angry the other woman is.)

Customer #1: “Why’d you tell my son he couldn’t return this kazoo? It’s defective!”

Me: “Oh, I’m sorry. He just asked if he could get his money back, and I told him we couldn’t take it because it was opened already. It’s defective?”

(I pick up the wooden kazoo that she’s slammed on the counter hold it near my mouth, and hum. It makes a kazoo noise.)

Me: “Oh, maybe your son doesn’t know how it works. You have to hum into it, not blow like a whistle. Seems fine.”

Customer #1: “What? I didn’t hear anything! It’s defective! I want my money back!”

(I hold the kazoo near my lips again and hum louder. It makes a louder kazoo noise.)

Me: “See? That’s what it’s supposed to do. You hum, and it makes that noise.”

(I set it down in front of her, thinking the problem is solved.)

Customer #1: “No way! I’m not taking that out of the store now! You’ve contaminated it with your breath! It has all your germs in it. Give me my money back!”

Me: “Really?”

(The woman tries to stare me down.)

Me: “Ma’am, as I explained, you don’t blow into a kazoo. You hum. You can’t hum with your mouth open. None of my breath went into the kazoo.”

(I demonstrate a humming noise without the kazoo, showing her my lips are firmly pressed closed.)

Customer #1: “This is ridiculous! I’ve bought hundreds of things from here that were all defective, and I’ve never bothered to return them before. I just threw them away. Now, you won’t even take back this broken kazoo?”

Me: “But, it’s not broken, remember? And I didn’t breathe in it, either. I’m not sure exactly what your complaint is at this point.”

Customer #1: “That’s it! I want to talk to your store manager.”

Me: “That would be me.”

Customer #1: “Fine! Then I want to talk to a district manager! Is he here?”

Me: “Yes. And he’s also me.”

Customer #2: “This isn’t over. Not by a long shot! You haven’t heard the last of me!”

(The woman snatches up her kazoo from the counter and runs out of the store. I turn to the other woman who’s been waiting patiently.)

Me: “I’m sorry you had to be here for that uncomfortable situation.”

Customer #2: “Oh, I don’t mind. That was pretty entertaining. I think you may have created a super-villain.”

(Ten minutes later, one of my managers from another store location calls me, laughing.)

Coworker: “Um, apparently, I’m supposed to fire you. Some crazy lady just called to tell me that you threw a kazoo at her?”

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

What a dum dum

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Some people have this weird belief that being super smug about seemingly unimportant preferences in their food and/or daily activities. Like whether their toilet paper goes under/over, or what kind of beans they put on their burrito at chipolte or whether they put ketchup on their burger (which is wrong, ketchup is an awful condiment reserved at best for french fries. They think expressing their opinions on minor unimportances as if it were abject fact and not a minor opinion is somehow endearing.

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013
Actually they're right about the toilet paper thing,

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

SpookyLizard posted:

ketchup is an awful condiment reserved at best for french fries.

I don't care what point you're trying to make; you're obviously some kind of idiot.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

poo poo that didn't happen.txt: This isn’t over. Not by a long shot!

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

p-hop posted:

This exact argument has happened in Goons with Spoons, along with:
"Do you put beans in chili?"
"Is a hamburger a sandwich?"
"What is the correct hot dog condiment?"

1. Yes
2. Maybe
3. Beans and a hamburger

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

bringmyfishback posted:

1. Yes
2. Maybe
3. Beans and a hamburger

Despite all other things, hand writing is too neat.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

How do you confuse clear liquor with water? If s/he drank enough to get drunk, she should have recognized the smell, if not the taste, of alchohol.

Drowning In Terror
Dec 10, 2008
Thanks for the explanation, I was wondering why that one was supposed to be STDH.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Pththya-lyi posted:

How do you confuse clear liquor with water? If s/he drank enough to get drunk, she should have recognized the smell, if not the taste, of alchohol.

Few years back, I had to deal with a guy at work who filled a water bottle with bleach, forgot about it, then chugged it at 2 AM.

People are really loving stupid about what they put in their mouth.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Even as a little kid when one my dad's jerk friends thought it would be funny to switch my water glass with vodka, I knew that wasn't water as soon as it passed my lips.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

FrozenVent posted:

Few years back, I had to deal with a guy at work who filled a water bottle with bleach, forgot about it, then chugged it at 2 AM.

Submitting this to the thread. Got a mouthful of bleach/swallowed some? Sure, I can buy that. Chugged a bottle of bleach? No loving way.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Didn't say he swallowed the whole thing, but he got some down his esophagus. "Took a big swig" might have been a better phrase.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Tunicate posted:

quote:

(I am at my best friend’s engagement party. I bring a case of Smithwick’s along since I know he and his fiancé usually stock mostly lite beer which I abhor with a somewhat irrational level of hatred. I make it known the beer is fair game and socialize a bit, end up chatting among a girl and a guy.)

Me: “No. No, it’s not. You’re just spewing gibberish right now. [Girl], this is a fairly good basic lager. It’s not too strong. Would you like to try a sip to see if you like it better than the s*** you had in the past?”

A beer nerd this deep into the rabbit hole should know: Smithwick's is an ale, not a lager.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Huntersoninski posted:

This reads like the guy pestered someone into drinking something they didn't like and they confirmed to him they didn't like it, so he went home and wrote this post about what SHOULD have happened.
On the other hand: a guy pushes his beer on you like that and you try and don't like it, is that what you tell him?

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

A beer nerd this deep into the rabbit hole should know: Smithwick's is an ale, not a lager.
[/quote]

Wouldn't even have to be a beer nerd as long as they could read. It says "Irish Ale" on the loving bottle.

And I've never met a beer nerd who'd describe a beer as "fairly basic" unless it was boring poo poo.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Nth Doctor posted:

In this case he does have a bit of a legitimate argument. He could have said "Maybe you don't like the style, try this different style of beer." drat nerds!

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

My Lovely Horse posted:

On the other hand: a guy pushes his beer on you like that and you try and don't like it, is that what you tell him?

Yeah, hopefully it'd irritate him so bad he'd leave you alone after that. Wishful thinking maybe, but if I take a beer to placate him it's going down the sink the second he looks away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Here [girl] , see if you can taste the ruffies. You can't in a light beer.

• Locked thread