Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Belldandy posted:

HAHAAHHAAHHAHAAH no. LGA is probably the worst Airport in the US.

Nope, that spot is reserved for EWR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

MickeyFinn posted:

I totally forgot about those. I think the last time I encountered one of those was on LAX to SAN and that was purely for the novelty.

Last time I took SAN to LAX I missed the connection in LAX because Obama flew over the goddamn airport. Thanks Obama.

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

Thoguh posted:

Only the 700s and 900s. Almost all the flights out of my home airport are in CRJ100/200 aircraft and I hate those sardine cans.

Ugh, yes. With DAY as my home airport, I've flown on more CRJ200s than 737s. At least I get the ERJs even more often, or I can get the 70+ seat RJs if I fly out of CMH.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Uncle Jam posted:

Last time I took SAN to LAX I missed the connection in LAX because Obama flew over the goddamn airport. Thanks Obama.

Whenever Obama visits LA, I miss out on lunch because his motorcade goes between my work and the local restaurants. He also some times gets between me and the gym.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Do not try to boost in peace, because that is impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth, there is no boost.

DJCobol posted:

Nope, that spot is reserved for EWR.

At least EWR is "somewhat modern." LGA is just comically lovely inside.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
First complimentary upgrade to business on an international flight :woop:

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Belldandy posted:

I flew into LGA for the first time last Friday and wondered if we should've taken a left at Albuquerque because we were clearly in some shithole Central American country and not New York. It was appalling.

Makes me ever more thankful that my home airport (AUS) is badass.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

canoshiz posted:

First complimentary upgrade to business on an international flight :woop:

The illusive OpUp. Color me jealous.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Belldandy posted:

The first time I flew out of LGA, my suitcase weighed in at 54-ish pounds, so they made me take a few things out to get it down to 50 pounds. The ticketing agent then tagged my now-conforming suitcase and told me to take it around the corner to the security agent who would actually get it where it needs to go. Well, going around the corner turned out to be out of sight for both the ticketing agent and the security agent, so I just stuffed the poo poo I took out of my suitcase right back in and went on my way. Dummies. And then I got to the terminal to wait for my flight. Old, musty and cramped would all be pretty good descriptors.

However, EWR sucks more. EWR is the only airport where I got poo poo on by a pigeon while indoors. EWR is the only airport where I was physically pushed out of the way by what appeared to be an oompa-loompa (but was probably a reject from the cast of the Jersey Shore) while boarding a SW flight. I was A1 bitch, you aren't getting on the plane before me unless you are handi-capable. EWR is the airport where I got yelled at by some rent-a-cop for having my headphones around my neck while waiting for my bag at international arrivals. Fucker wouldn't leave me alone until I took them off and put them in my bag. EWR has loving retarded terminal switching rules that made me go out of a secured area, and then back through security with only 20 minutes between arriving, and trying to make my connection for an international flight. Later I found out that there are busses that can take you between terminals, but for whatever reason I didn't qualify for those. EWR has the WORST traffic if you have the unfortunate luck of having to drive in and out of the area.

EWR only has 2 things going for it: its an international hub, so you can see some cooler, bigger planes which is nice when all you are used to seeing is SW 737s and CRJ/ERJs. And if you need to get into NYC via rail, thats pretty easy.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Can we include "I was A1 bitch" in the thread title somewhere?

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Belldandy posted:

HAHAAHHAAHHAHAAH no. LGA is probably the worst Airport in the US, but I like it because I can get to the airport in like 15 minutes. I actually like JFK, but AA has a pretty good terminal (8) there. It just sucks getting there.

I book all my business travel through our internal website (backend is sabre or something). Invariably after making my selections it makes some suggestions to save the company money. "Please consider this LGA -> MCO flight instead to save $100." Uh, no. I live in Jersey, it is a $50 car service ride to EWR, but it is like $150 for the car ride to LGA or JFK. That's not saving any money. Besides its my department's travel budget and I'll spend it however I want. And I want to not spend it on a death ride through the city trying to make it to one of those other airports.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

Mackieman posted:

Yup, lucked out on an overbooked Singapore Air flight (SFO-ICN) :v: Hopefully I get it on the return trip as well...

canoshiz fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jun 17, 2014

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Friend of mine was travelling with a friend who'd won two Montreal - Hong Kong round trip tickets. On the way back, the flight was full so they got bumped to first from Hong Kong to Frankfurt because... Promo tickets I guess?

So anyway they get to Frankfurt, go to the business class or whatever lounge, walk up to the counter and go "So we got bumped to first on the other leg, we were wondering if you could... *bat eyelashes*"

And that loving worked. Hong Kong - Montreal, first class. I hate her.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

FrozenVent posted:

Friend of mine was travelling with a friend who'd won two Montreal - Hong Kong round trip tickets. On the way back, the flight was full so they got bumped to first from Hong Kong to Frankfurt because... Promo tickets I guess?

So anyway they get to Frankfurt, go to the business class or whatever lounge, walk up to the counter and go "So we got bumped to first on the other leg, we were wondering if you could... *bat eyelashes*"

And that loving worked. Hong Kong - Montreal, first class. I hate her.

Were they white?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Are you a troll?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Bet both legs were upgraded and they just didn't print em the second boarding passes

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

sellouts posted:

Bet both legs were upgraded and they just didn't print em the second boarding passes

Yeah that's possible; the way she tells the story they just asked nicely and got it. Maybe I should start doing that.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Mackieman posted:

Got an up-op both ways (to/from US) on JAL once. Not sure why, but wasn't going to complain!

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

tomapot posted:

I book all my business travel through our internal website (backend is sabre or something). Invariably after making my selections it makes some suggestions to save the company money. "Please consider this LGA -> MCO flight instead to save $100." Uh, no. I live in Jersey, it is a $50 car service ride to EWR, but it is like $150 for the car ride to LGA or JFK. That's not saving any money. Besides its my department's travel budget and I'll spend it however I want. And I want to not spend it on a death ride through the city trying to make it to one of those other airports.

Our travel agency keeps suggesting I pay $50 less for frontier fares vs Southwest and I keep having to write the reason I didn't take "the lowest logical fare."

Frontier waited until they got their hooks into corporate travel search engines before going full Spirit. Not taking a loving Frontier flight ever again. I have some dignity

kansas
Dec 3, 2012
My only ever opup in 500+ flights has been the coveted STL-ORD route. It was caused because of irrops and there was an equipment swap of a 777 for several 737s (I forget exactly why, but I believe the 2 class DFW-ORD flight was diverted due to storms). I flew on the intl F hard product for a full 35 minutes. All it did was confirm my suspicions that I was way wiser to book my real intl F on JL or CX instead of AA.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

kansas posted:

My only ever opup in 500+ flights has been the coveted STL-ORD route. It was caused because of irrops and there was an equipment swap of a 777 for several 737s (I forget exactly why, but I believe the 2 class DFW-ORD flight was diverted due to storms). I flew on the intl F hard product for a full 35 minutes. All it did was confirm my suspicions that I was way wiser to book my real intl F on JL or CX instead of AA.

Living in St Louis, I'm sad that the only reason why we ever see any kind of reason for a widebody aircraft here anymore is disrupted operations like this. I miss TWA.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Do not try to boost in peace, because that is impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth, there is no boost.

tomapot posted:

Yeah I would not use LGA if I lived in Jersey, but if you live in NYC it's super.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

DJCobol posted:

EWR only has 2 things going for it: its an international hub, so you can see some cooler, bigger planes which is nice when all you are used to seeing is SW 737s and CRJ/ERJs. And if you need to get into NYC via rail, thats pretty easy.

EWR is also home to the best thing to do in New Jersey (leave New Jersey).

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

EWR is also home to the best thing to do in New Jersey (leave New Jersey).

:cmon:

I spent most of my life in NJ and used to travel through EWR every Monday and Thursday. It isn't that bad...

LGA is worse. It's the only airport I've been to in the US that looks like it would allow indoor smoking.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Pissingintowind posted:

:cmon:

I spent most of my life in NJ and used to travel through EWR every Monday and Thursday. It isn't that bad...

LGA is worse. It's the only airport I've been to in the US that looks like it would allow indoor smoking.

Look at this god drat Yankee. 80% of airports in the Former CSA have indoor smoking areas.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
For those of you so afflicted as to be loyal to United, I wrote a userscript for united.com to calculate 2015 RDM earnings under the new program rules. It adds a display to view earnings to all fare search pages, displays earnings on the Review Trip Itinerary page, and displays earnings on the View Current Reservation page.

PLEASE NOTE: The fares displayed on the search pages include all taxes and fees, so the mileage earnings displayed will be higher than what you will actually earn in reality. The fare basis and taxes are not broken down on search pages so there is no way to show the real value here. When you arrive at the Review Trip Itinerary page, the base fare and taxes/fees are broken out so the calculation can be made correctly. The same is true on the View Current Reservation page: the values are accurate.

Download The Script:

For Firefox users with Greasemonkey, download via direct link: Click Here
Current Version: 0.1.24

For Chrome users, download via the Chrome Web Store: Click Here
Current Version: 0.0.13

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
How's everybody doing on status halfway through the year? Looking here like I'll (barely) hit Platinum on Delta, Diamond with Hilton, Silver with Marriott, and Executive (possibly executive elite) with National.

Delta: 34 segment, 42k MQM
Hilton: 30 nights / 7 stays
Marriott: 7 nights / 2 stays
National: 32 rental days / 6 rentals

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jul 3, 2014

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

I might hit Altitude 25 on Air Canada. :smith:

Basically my job went from almost 25% travel to 5% if that. The good part of the management changes didn't come through, either.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.
Marriott: 56 nights
United: 41K PQM

Probably will end up with Platinum on both if I'm lucky.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
45 nights in Hilton
28 flights on Southwest (6 flights on United but don't give a gently caress about that)
Executive Elite status already reached on National.

Should hit platinum on Hilton, will likely hit A-list preferred on SW (which will be badass with 100% bonus on points next year instead of 25%)

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.
74991 Delta MQMs, 9 Segments. Hooray AMEX Platinum bonus tiers. Boo being 9 miles away from Platinum reward with no travel till August.
4 hotels.com rewards nights earned @ $400, $350, $250 and $125
No cars because driving in foreign countries is scary OoOoOoOoo

I might hit Diamond if ATL-CDG-KUL-CDG-ATL gets planned on a week that I can get Premium Economy for cheap. That would be 32658 MQMs from 4 segments. The new Global Upgrade Certs are a real tempting bonus...

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
69 nights w/ Marriott
30 flights w/ Southwest

Thankfully my travel has slowed down this year, although I probably will end up losing the SW companion pass for next year unless I can earn it on points. Of course, it hasn't been used much in the past couple of years since I've been too busy with work and the last thing I want to do during a vacation is get back on a plane.

More sadly, car rental rates have been freaking out of control this summer in my usual destinations, even with using the client's Enterprise code (which I am not supposed to do as a consultant, but my company has terrible rental reimbursement policies and most times I can't get fully reimbursed). Anyone know of any valid corporate codes and want to hook a fellow traveler up?

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
I'm stuck in a sorta backwater town and I think I'm getting the flu for the first time in my life. Oh, and the company rented a house and won't let me fly back on the weekends because it is cheaper to keep me here, so no airline miles, no hotel points and a lot of vomit (so I'm told).

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
1st leg - Ford Galaxy

Malpensa --> Marco Polo airport --> Bologne --> Modena --> Pisa --- > Florence --> Bologne ---> Milan ---> Como ---> Stabio (Swizterland) ---> Padova ---> Malpensa. We got boned because the client green lighted a meeting on a public holiday and did last minute changes, hence the little loop and forced holiday.

2nd leg - Mercedes Vino

Stuttgart ---> Nuremberg (double meeting same day) ---> Dresden ---> Berlin

Yeah I drove quite a bit on a van. It's easier to stash all our bags and go to smaller towns instead of changing trains and taxi's all the time. But man, driving in Italian highways was rough. It's like the tour de France, everyone is just tail gaiting and drafting you regardless of speed and trucks have the balls to drive at 120 km/h. It's hair raising, but in some ways more orderly than AutoBahn Germany because drivers in Italy actually yield ASAP and never ever hog the fast lane.

But man those TomTom Sat navs really really suck. I was better off with getting a sim card and using google maps. Or renting another 3g pocket wifi device.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

MickeyFinn posted:

I'm stuck in a sorta backwater town and I think I'm getting the flu for the first time in my life. Oh, and the company rented a house and won't let me fly back on the weekends because it is cheaper to keep me here, so no airline miles, no hotel points and a lot of vomit (so I'm told).

That's kinda hosed up. I mean I assume you knew the deal going in and don't have a SO or family. but I would be pretty mutinous if I wasn't allowed to go home weekends.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

caberham posted:

I was better off with getting a sim card and using google maps. Or renting another 3g pocket wifi device.

Only gonna be a little smug right now given how much the collective wisdom of the thread said that a cell phone with google maps wasn't the way to go.

Sounds like a hell of a story though to have driven around southern Europe in a rental van. Glad you made it back unscathed. I've never driven in Italy but I loved driving in Germany. The traffic laws were more strict but they stuck to them much better than they do in the states. I'm surprised that Italy was better, my totally uniformed American assumption is that they are all lawless vagabonds.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jul 4, 2014

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib

caberham posted:

Florence --> Bologne

This happens to be one of the best stretches of road to drive in Europe (and most dangerous in the past), you got lucky!

caberham posted:

It's hair raising, but in some ways more orderly than AutoBahn Germany because drivers in Italy actually yield ASAP and never ever hog the fast lane.

I find that in Germany people adhere to speed limits quite strictly because of the points system, ie lose your license if you get too many serious tickets. They won't yield from the fast lane if they're going at the limit. Where there's no limit they're expert yielders to avoid the low flying rockets. The best experience is being overtaken while you have cruise control set to 220kmh.

Also I felt lazy and didn't come to the goonmeet in Leiden, sorry to have missed that.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Thoguh posted:

Only gonna be a little smug right now given how much the collective wisdom of the thread said that a cell phone with google maps wasn't the way to go.

Only a scratch. But yeah, don't be Penny wise, pound foolish. Besides, you guys are all pro flyers :wink:

quote:

Sounds like a hell of a story though to have driven around southern Europe in a rental van. Glad you made it back unscathed. I've never driven in Italy but I loved driving in Germany. The traffic laws were more strict but they stuck to them much better than they do in the states. I'm surprised that Italy was better, my totally uniformed American assumption is that they are all lawless vagabonds.

Parallel parking in Italy means bumping your car :downsrim:

Oh and from now on I will stick with Hertz. I booked Avis for a rental van 3 months ago and 1 week before the trip they cancelled on me. Hertz on the other hand had guaranteed bookings. Nowadays, lots of frequent flier programs or credit cards will also have Hertz Gold association like priority pass I think.

Pvt Dancer posted:

This happens to be one of the best stretches of road to drive in Europe (and most dangerous in the past), you got lucky!

Yeah it was really fun but also really scary.

quote:

Also I felt lazy and didn't come to the goonmeet in Leiden, sorry to have missed that.

Oh that's too bad. But really, it's understandable not wanting to take 1.5 hour inter city train ride. That's why Dutch goons are awesome though! Netherlands is my favourite European country, I will probably swing by next year.

caberham fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Jul 4, 2014

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Thoguh posted:

That's because gently caress TomTom, they are poo poo. Garmin is the way to go.

Having a dedicated GPS is just worth it because it boots and continues your route automatically if you stop somewhere instead of resetting your phone up every time. Honestly I haven't used a dedicated for GPS for about 4 years before now and they have gotten a lot loving better (except for TomToms).

The second best part of them is how they show illustrations of the intersections for really complex interchanges. This has saved my rear end a lot.

I have more driven miles than flier miles this year hahaha... ehhh

Two more things I like over the phone way, speed limit display in whatever you want for kmh/mph confused cars, and lane displays in Japan which help me not go the wrong way down the road even if I'm driving LHD or RHD.

Uncle Jam fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jul 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Xguard86 posted:

That's kinda hosed up. I mean I assume you knew the deal going in and don't have a SO or family. but I would be pretty mutinous if I wasn't allowed to go home weekends.

Yeah, it is only a one time thing, so it isn't going to be recurring. The whole sickness is probably the worst part, there is all kinds of outdoorsy stuff to do here and I don't have any energy for it. Also, because I've gone over roaming data for the month I don't have cell data access when I'm not at work or the house because my provider doesn't have a tower in the town.