Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Zephyrine posted:

Anyway I have no idea what I'm doing most of the time.

That's really apparent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!
You'll figure it out in the end anyhow. v:shobon:v

Just do whatever for now. It doesn't really matter just yet.

But when it does matter, expect goons to tell you, and loudly at that.

Double Monocle
Sep 4, 2008

Smug as fuck.

Kaldaris posted:

He's level 15. There's no rotation you can do without Quick Draw and/or Runic Healing that doesn't have downtime.

ahahahahahahahahahahaha

content- got some mount flair out of my boom box, and they are literal boom boxes. Well played carbine.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Double Monocle posted:

ahahahahahahahahahahaha

content- got some mount flair out of my boom box, and they are literal boom boxes. Well played carbine.

Got a disco ball on the front of my hoverbike, poo poo owns.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

Double Monocle posted:

I have gotten actually, nothing good out of my boom boxes after opening twelve so far. :(

Lionguild
Sep 5, 2013
Wish I had boom boxes.

zenthursdays
Oct 20, 2009

:feelsgood:
Yeah, that would own.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

Doublestep posted:

That's really apparent

Hey! You're just scraping the bottle of the barrel now. Aurin down. Disperse people. Nothing to see here. Let nature claim me already.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

Zephyrine posted:

Hey! You're just scraping the bottle of the barrel now. Aurin down. Disperse people. Nothing to see here. Let nature claim me already.

I honestly don't know if it's different in Wildstar, but my experience in Tera, WoW, EQ2, etc, have all told me that lack of consistent DPS and large downtimes are the death of your overall DPS. You want something you can do while on the move and with little/no delay.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Kaldaris posted:

I honestly don't know if it's different in Wildstar, but my experience in Tera, WoW, EQ2, etc, have all told me that lack of consistent DPS and large downtimes are the death of your overall DPS. You want something you can do while on the move and with little/no delay.

I didn't play too long into Tera but in wildstar you either DPS on the move or you die and do no DPS.

Judging by the health on bosses in the dungeons I've been in so far. I get the impression that you're not meant to burn them down quickly but rather learn the moves and then choreograph the fight accordingly.

Take the Forgemaster for example. If you can't dodge the rain of burning "sawblades" then you can't win the fight regardless of how much damage you deal. Sometimes you get to DPS him down tp 50% before the fight even starts but that's no easier than when the fight starts right away because you still have to do the sawblade sequence at least once.

In fact I believe that the best strategy in Wildstar is to first focus on movement. Then to help the healer by using your own heals on yourself when you can and then to DPS. To win a battle of attrition rather than a DPS race.

DPS should try to manage their own healing in combination with staying out of telegraphs and then let the healer focus on the tank.

Maybe I'm wrong but I always found that the most efficient boss fights are the ones who took a bit longer with people spending more effort on avoiding taking damage. Rather than those DPS races where the boss dies with one player left alive on the field.

The shadow figures for this game are the wipes where the tank died because the healer had to waste too much energy on healing DPS who can't manage movement. As a DPS you help keep the tank alive by moving and giving the Healer less targets to focus on.

Zephyrine fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Jun 18, 2014

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Zephyrine posted:

I didn't play too long into Tera but in wildstar you either DPS on the move or you die and do no DPS.

Judging by the health on bosses in the dungeons I've been in so far. I get the impression that you're not meant to burn them down quickly but rather learn the moves and then choreograph the fight accordingly.

Take the Forgemaster for example. If you can't dodge the rain of burning "sawblades" then you can't win the fight regardless of how much damage you deal. Sometimes you get to DPS him down tp 50% before the fight even starts but that's no easier than when the fight starts right away because you still have to do the sawblade sequence at least once.

In fact I believe that the best strategy in Wildstar is to first focus on movement. Then to help the healer by using your own heals on yourself when you can and then to DPS. To win a battle of attrition rather than a DPS race.

DPS should try to manage their own healing in combination with staying out of telegraphs and then let the healer focus on the tank.

Maybe I'm wrong but I always found that the most efficient boss fights are the ones who took a bit longer with people spending more effort on avoiding taking damage. Rather than those DPS races where the boss dies with one player left alive on the field.

The shadow figures for this game are the wipes where the tank died because the healer had to waste too much energy on healing DPS who can't manage movement. As a DPS you help keep the tank alive by moving and giving the Healer less targets to focus on.
Right but what do you when your skills are all on cooldown? That's what people mean when they say downtime and why they're trying to call attention to the fact that you have no 'basic' attack to use when everything else isn't available.

CLAMBO!
May 6, 2007
So what's everyone using for Engineer PvE dps now that bolt caster got nerfed, and is there a Elitist Jerks equivilent for wildstar yet?

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Mercurius posted:

Right but what do you when your skills are all on cooldown? That's what people mean when they say downtime and why they're trying to call attention to the fact that you have no 'basic' attack to use when everything else isn't available.

With the rotation I use this is my downtime

Charged Shot
Rapid Fire
Wild Barrage
Assassinate
Assassinate
Charged Shot
Rapid Fire
Assassinate
(2 seconds downtime)
Wild Barrage
Charged Shot
Rapid Fire

That is a 24 second rotation before the 2 seconds of downtime. Assuming that it's a completely stationary target and that I do nothing but stand there and shot.

If I have to get out of a single telegraph or turn then there's no downtime at all.

The average boss doesn't give you 24 seconds of standing around. I doubt you even get 7 seconds on most bosses.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Goddamn I think I have to apologize to everyone for thinking the raid attunement was no big deal and doable in a good afternoon once rep/elder gems are taken care of. Silver dungeons are kicking my rear end. Spent 3.5 hours in STL the other night (1 run to learn the fights with a really low dps that we replaced, 4 actual attempts). The best run ended up being less than 35 seconds over silver time, and only because one of our dps disconnected on the second boss. I'll likely have the whole thing done by next week, but goddamn.

CLAMBO! posted:

So what's everyone using for Engineer PvE dps now that bolt caster got nerfed, and is there a Elitist Jerks equivilent for wildstar yet?

Bolt caster spec is still best single target, alternatively Electrocute/Bioshell/Cooldowns is great for AoE (and simple as poo poo to play).

Deki fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Jun 18, 2014

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.

Zephyrine posted:

As a DPS you help keep the tank alive by moving and giving the Healer less targets to focus on.

Movement is pretty much exactly what Quick Draw is for, though. Get it to tier 4 when you can (level 25):

quote:

Tier 4 Major Upgrade: Each hit grants a Swiftness for 1.0s.

Swiftness: Increases Movement Speed by 20%.

Aim vaguely at the boss, and you can do DPS and get to where you need to be.

And, by the way, ability points can be rearranged at will at no cost, unlike AMPs. And it doesn't cost an ability point to put a skill on your bar at base anyway; put an interrupt (probably Gate) in your other open slot. If you absolutely have to have all DPS abilities (you don't), Flame Burst would let you keep doing that... thing without significant alteration, as it doesn't take a GCD to cast.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
T8 Quick Draw gives you a 10% assault power bonus after using it.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Max Peck posted:

Movement is pretty much exactly what Quick Draw is for, though. Get it to tier 4 when you can (level 25):

Looks promising.

Currently I have Gate and Astral Infusion in my spare slots for interrupt and passive healing.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!
Moving and Not attacking is also downtime, just FYI.

Cool Blue Reason
Jan 7, 2010

by Lowtax

Meowbot posted:

I am currently playing the trial and having a good time so I look up to see if anyone is selling WildStar account they don't want for cheap on CraigsList (maybe they got bored of it after a few weeks). I type in Wildstar and a few local craigslist ads pop up. I see one wehre a guy is offering his account key he won during a twitch stream for a dominos Pizza $25 egift card. I decide hey wow that is a really good deal. I don't want to spend $60 right now but can afford $25! I hit him up and we go back and forth and he tells me buy the gift card and once I Get it I'll send you a key.

I'm like well poo poo he is a gamer so should be legit. I send him a $25 dominos egift card and then wait a few minutes. I message him back "I sent it" and then 2 hours later "you going to send the key or what?". I log into dominos and it doesn't even show he has looked at the e-mail. I gave him all day and just came home from work and fucker used the money while I was at work. Welp that is my story how I already spent $25.00 on getting scammed buying wildstar and will now have to buy it at full price costing me about 85 bucks instead of cheaper like I had wanted.

Anyways, I've been messing around with soldier and am only level 10 but reading a lot of guides online it seems all you do is spam rampage as your finisher. Does this ever change? Are warriors really good DPS at higher levels because at low levels I could be playing a stalker and killing 4x as quick it seems. That tutorial area is really not making me want to start any other classes.

lmfao

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Meanwhile the Dominion settlers Cap is hideous

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

Zephyrine posted:

Meanwhile the Dominion settlers Cap is hideous

You are absolutely and completely wrong.

It's the only cap I can use to complete my soon to exist Luigi Cosplay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03eNODCDdqY

:EDIT:

Also the solid colour makes it easier to fit in with a lot of outfits compared to the Exile Settler's cap which is a loving trucker's cap.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

But it owns...?

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Kaldaris posted:

You are absolutely and completely wrong.

It's the only cap I can use to complete my soon to exist Luigi Cosplay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03eNODCDdqY

:EDIT:

Also the solid colour makes it easier to fit in with a lot of outfits compared to the Exile Settler's cap which is a loving trucker's cap.

Your opinion is demonstrably and empirically wrong as the cap is horrendous.

I expected it to look like the exile cap. Now I have to find a different alternative or go with no cap at all.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!
Wildstar: Arguing about Barbies in Space

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

CLAMBO! posted:

Bolt Caster. Even after the nerf it's still the best volatility burning skill.

My levelling set has been TA, Bio shell, bolt caster, quick burst and feedback for damage, along with bruiser bot and zap.

Also the settler baker boy is the best hat in the game and I regret not going Settler on my Engineer.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Jun 18, 2014

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Are bots not particularly useful for engineers endgame? Seems like most builds suggest ignoring them (the arty bot, at least).

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Until Carbine unretards the bot AI, no.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Collateral Damage posted:

Until Carbine unretards the bot AI, no.

They sure love picking up snipers at the Hycrest insurrection adventure.

Then it's up to the spellslinger to cap the engineer in the knee so he only kills himself after his train of mobs catches up to him.

Survival of the fittest and all that.

Zephyrine fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jun 18, 2014

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Zephyrine posted:

Your opinion is demonstrably and empirically wrong as the cap is horrendous.

I expected it to look like the exile cap. Now I have to find a different alternative or go with no cap at all.

The only thing more wrong than the way you play a Spellslinger is your fashion sense.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!
I still maintain this is probably the best I've looked at low levels. :colbert:

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Yeah, engineers can go gently caress themselves.

Tried to do Riot with one and he kept pulling those rear end in a top hat max sec inmates and their loving barrel bombs.

Admittedly, we were trying to do it with only 3 people but after waiting 8hrs on group finder, I was desperate.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut
So have any other goons tried to quest with a friend in this game? We just entered Hycrest and the utter shitload of quests you are bombarded with there coupled with a bare minimum of support from the default UI has resulted in an unpleasant experience to say the least. Shared quests completions seem entirely arbitrary--either you're competing with each other for quest or challenge objectives or you aren't, there is no consistency. Most quests are unsharable and you can't see what ones your groupmates are currently on let alone the progress they've made with any. Are there any addons that make this less of a chore?

folgore fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Jun 18, 2014

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Bauxite posted:

Wow, dude, calm down. I made an admittedly lovely joke about it, you don't need to take it personally. The wildstar thread really does make people super sensitive, jesus. I guess I'm not allowed to quote people anymore.

I still have no clue what you're talking about!

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
All this settler cap exchange shows is that some people literally can't tab out and punch 'dominion $path$ costume' into google during character creation.

So you know, hard to feel sympathy if you decide having expectations about a costume is better than doing 10 seconds of research :shrug:

Also Dominion settler hat is great for pretending you're Tiny Tim from the Christmas Carol. Especially on a Chua. Put hat on, /cry. I love it.

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Jun 18, 2014

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Get on my level scrubs

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Fat Aggression posted:

This is from a few pages back but be sure to try and do the scavenger hunt digs NOT on your mount. Sometimes (not always from what I can tell) the bar will not fill unless you are on foot. Explorer quests will often only point you at an area and not directly to the objective. If the scavenger clue hints that it drops from a mob you need to run around in the area it says (or slightly outside as sometimes the map is just plain wrong) until the meter starts to fill then usually just kill the closest mob and you'll get it.

For the transmitters have you explored the whole cave? Is there just nothing to click on in the whole area?

I don't have a mount.

And yes - the transmitters are actually in the area beyond it, but when you go into the cave it reveals that area, unlocking the quest. They're above you but the arrows just point ahead. I guess it's a symptom of the arrows being buggy in caves.

I've just had another exceptionally irritating scavenger quest though. It was to slay Honeyhive harvesters until I found the one who had run off with a special jar. I was doing it for half an hour, walking around and around the same area denoted, none of them were the one. It's just loving frustrating when the end result isn't even any sort of reward.

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

Psykmoe posted:

All this settler cap exchange shows is that some people literally can't tab out and punch 'dominion $path$ costume' into google during character creation.

So you know, hard to feel sympathy if you decide having expectations about a costume is better than doing 10 seconds of research :shrug:

Also Dominion settler hat is great for pretending you're Tiny Tim from the Christmas Carol. Especially on a Chua. Put hat on, /cry. I love it.
I don't really think this is a fair point: Nowhere is there suggestion in the game itself that the rewards are different between factions, what reason would the average user of the game have for having doubts and then going to google to double check this? To put it another way, there is no evidence within the game to suggest there are differences in classes between faction, but by this logic everyone should double check using an external program, just to make sure their exile stalker doesn't have a different set of skills. I realize this is an unfair comparison but it highlights the issue with that line of thought.

If for example a friend of mine came over to my house and saw me playing Wildstar and expressed interest in the game, and we struck up a discussion about the costume system - maybe something fairly harmless like "It looks like you are wearing heavy armor, so why are you wearing a chimneysweep hat?", and I answered that it wasn't actually my equipment, just that it was my overlaid costume and came from my chosen path of 'Settler'. Maybe a couple weeks down the line he decides to buy the game, rolls a character on the opposite faction and chooses the same path. Then the feelbads happen when he discovers the hat is of differing design on his character. That's not to say I think they should display every single reward on character creation to avoid this situation, just that it's a little unfair to blame the player in that instance for making a fairly safe assumption.

Anyway, sorry for singling you out - I just wish modern games in this genre would stop placing responsibility for the players to use external sources to understand their systems, and instead just design their game better, I've had numerous friends or work colleagues drop games like this because of frustrations with various in game systems, or been shunned by the game's community for not doing their 'research'.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Zephyrine posted:

Then it's up to the spellslinger to cap the engineer in the knee so he only kills himself after his train of mobs catches up to him.

Survival of the fittest and all that.

Note: you can't actually do this, Zephyrine is insane.

Kresher
Sep 11, 2001
Permanent Patient

Got my attunement at 3/13

Time to farm veteran adventures. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

What should I be spending my Elder Gems on after buying the attunement key?

• Locked thread