Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011
This always bothered me as well, so many hotdogs and coffees wasted. :negative:

What really annoys me are those same cops complaining about their lovely pay. Of course your broke you literally throw money away!

That brings me to another annoyance when some character bemoans that he has a crap 40k a year salary. Where I'm from 40k a year is a shitload. Way more than an average Joe around here is ever going to make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Mister Nobody posted:

This always bothered me as well, so many hotdogs and coffees wasted. :negative:

What really annoys me are those same cops complaining about their lovely pay. Of course your broke you literally throw money away!

That brings me to another annoyance when some character bemoans that he has a crap 40k a year salary. Where I'm from 40k a year is a shitload. Way more than an average Joe around here is ever going to make.

This is a real life irrationally irritating thing though. Both of my girlfriend's parents are retired cops who do nothing but complain about high taxes. You know, those things that paid their salaries and built them an ironclad pension that let them retire in their early 50's.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Mister Nobody posted:

Median household income in the US is about $50K I believe, so that seems like a reasonable complaint, especially if the movie is set in an urban center.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Henchman of Santa posted:

The first season of Hannibal had a casual drive from Baltimore to Minnesota.

When it comes to bad geography, nothing is ever going to top Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves. Kevin Costner and Morgan Freeman land at the White Cliffs of Dover and travel to Nottingham on foot in a day. This would be unbelievable in and of itself, but to make it truly unassailable incompetence they make the trip via Hadrian's Wall.

haakman
May 5, 2011
People lighting cigarettes and then throwing them away immediately. It drives me up the wall when it happens in film.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Jedit posted:

When it comes to bad geography, nothing is ever going to top Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves. Kevin Costner and Morgan Freeman land at the White Cliffs of Dover and travel to Nottingham on foot in a day. This would be unbelievable in and of itself, but to make it truly unassailable incompetence they make the trip via Hadrian's Wall.

Not being familiar with the geography, I looked it up on Google Maps. Going from the White Cliffs of Dover to Nottingham via Hadrian's Wall, they travel 600 miles, and PASS Nottingham to get to the wall. That's really bad planning.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Kruller posted:

Not being familiar with the geography, I looked it up on Google Maps. Going from the White Cliffs of Dover to Nottingham via Hadrian's Wall, they travel 600 miles, and PASS Nottingham to get to the wall. That's really bad planning.

He's the prince of thieves, not the Master of Maps.

Or Count of Cartography.

Or King of Compasses.

Or Archduke of Alliteration.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Treguna Mekoides posted:

My biggest peeve for film would actually be people jumping up in a middle of a meal during a crisis. I dunno about you, but I'd wolf down whatever I could as fast as I could if I knew I might not be coming home. :colbert: Maybe I'm dumb.

Being in the military I've seen this happen. To me it's not all that unbelievable because I've seen people literally throw their whole meal in the air during their mad scramble to make it to a bunker.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Pesticide20 posted:

Being in the military I've seen this happen. To me it's not all that unbelievable because I've seen people literally throw their whole meal in the air during their mad scramble to make it to a bunker.

I'd argue that's different though - in that situation it sounds like a few seconds could make the difference between life and death. In these situations, cop shows in particular, generally the window is much greater. Stuff like

Over radio:"We've got the perp"
Detective: *tosses away hamburger to drive to station*

Like, dog, let the guy steam for a couple minutes.

There's a game that sort of does the same thing called Sleeping Dogs, where no matter what food you eat or drink, you'll take exactly one bite/sip, then toss it away, and despite it being pixels, it irritates me just a bit.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
That's what I liked about the bank robbery in Dirty Harry. The first shot he hears makes him put his hot dog down, but he's still trying to chew his first bite through the whole gun fight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Xjr2hnOHiM

But when he looks down to see where he got grazed by the shotgun, there's only a couple little spots of blood and he isn't even limping. What, were they robbing a bank with birdshot? Scene ruined.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

One thing that realy irritated me watching the 2012 Amazing Spiderman is how much of a loser pussy Peter is. Talking to Gwen is like listening to a stuttering Jeff Goldblum as Peter fumbles and nervously repeats himself and just trails off sentences. Running time could have been cut by 8 minutes if Peter talked more like a normal human being instead of a "nerd" by movie standards.

Also, he needs to get in his locker and people are up against it kissing so he just tries to open it 2 inches from the side and barely grabs the book he needs staying silent the entire time. Jesus Christ say something you spineless bitch.

CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

And I understand if you ask
Was this life,
was this all?
When people leave the water running. Even in animated shows/films. Character splashes their face with water and leaves it running while they stare broodingly into the mirror, and I just want to reach in and turn off the water.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
When characters put their names into normal conversation, when in real life it would be very awkward to do so. This also applies to describing what the character does or is doing. I know it's for the benefit of the viewer, but it irrationally irritates me.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

oldpainless posted:

One thing that realy irritated me watching the 2012 Amazing Spiderman is how much of a loser pussy Peter is. Talking to Gwen is like listening to a stuttering Jeff Goldblum as Peter fumbles and nervously repeats himself and just trails off sentences. Running time could have been cut by 8 minutes if Peter talked more like a normal human being instead of a "nerd" by movie standards.

Also, he needs to get in his locker and people are up against it kissing so he just tries to open it 2 inches from the side and barely grabs the book he needs staying silent the entire time. Jesus Christ say something you spineless bitch.

The point is he is a loser high schooler who gains confidence in his personal life by beating the everloving poo poo out of people. His ability to communicate and assert himself is much better after nearly murdering several people. Just look at the dinner scene with Captain Stacy and how he articulates his argument after spending weeks wrecking people's poo poo based on a vague description.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
I know Jurassic Park III is a silly movie but even when I watched it as a dinosaur obsessed kid, I thought it was stupid as hell that a 12 year old boy could survive for eight weeks on a dinosaur infested island. Especially with nothing but gas grenades.

The Spinosaurus was a pretty kick rear end dinosaur but in that movie, its practically Godzilla. There's no way it could have snapped a T-Rex's neck that easily.

Celery Face has a new favorite as of 19:32 on Jun 18, 2014

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Celery Face posted:

I know Jurassic Park III is a silly movie but even when I watched it as a dinosaur obsessed kid, I thought it was stupid as hell that a 12 year old boy could survive for eight weeks on a dinosaur infested island. Especially with nothing but gas grenades.

The Spinosaurus was a pretty kick rear end dinosaur but in that movie, it's practically Godzilla. There's no way it could have snapped a T-Rex's neck that easily.

Wasn't the consultant for that movie obsessed with the idea of the T-Rex being a carrion dinosaur? So he wanted to show that by having a TRUE predator kill the T-Rex. I remember he kind of said "my bad" later on.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Re: Godzilla, a little thing at the ending.
So Godzilla is victorious but presumably dead. There's some rescue efforts going on around the debris of his "corpse". You got firefighters and rescue workers and civilians digging around, wearing just their uniforms/regular clothes. Except they know Godzilla is a horrible radioactive hellmonster capable of weaponizing radiation into a glowing stream of burning death. You'd think they'd be more careful about approaching what's essentially a biological nuclear reactor unshielded and unprotected.

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Error: file not found.
When I saw Jurassic Park 3 on TV a couple years back, I couldn't believe anything that happened with the satellite phone. Not only does it survive being swallowed by a giant dinosaur and being immersed in stomach acid for hours on end, but it actually manages to receive a call while inside it? And the human characters are able to hear it ringing, from a hundred feet away, through several feet of bone and meat? Then they find the phone after it comes out the other end, and it still works?

Where can I get one of these things, and how much do they cost?

Also, I didn't think of this until the NC video pointed it out, but it really does drastically undermine the whole plot of the movie: why didn't William H. Macy just tell the authorities about what happened so they could send in search and rescue teams? Because that's the usual response to a kid getting lost in the wilderness, and I don't see any reason why this situation would be different.

INH5 has a new favorite as of 19:45 on Jun 18, 2014

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

INH5 posted:

Also, I didn't think of this until the NC video pointed it out, but it really does drastically undermine the whole plot of the movie: why didn't William H. Macy just tell the authorities about what happened so they could send in search and rescue teams? Because that's the usual response to a kid getting lost in the wilderness, and I don't see any reason why this situation would be different.

I think it was because they were scared of repercussions because Isla Nubar (Isla Sorno?) was off limits. But IIRC, they hired a legit "sightseeing" company, who's whole deal was that they kept the boat out of the restricted waters, and just used a para-sail in the hopes you'd see a dinosaur from a couple miles away, or something. So it wasn't actually illegal.

So just your garden variety plot-hole...especially since once Ellie knows she IMMEDIATELY gets the loving Marines to plow in there and rescue everyone, so it's not like the US Government is against rescuing people from the island, even if they ARE they illegally, which Dr.Grant and everyone else (save the kid,) actually are.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
I was watching Back to the Future the other night and it reminded me of one of my peeves: Actors not looking like they are playing an instrument correctly. Fox did OK for the most part, but when he suddenly isn't holding onto the strings, or he's sliding up or down the neck while the pitch is going the opposite way it stands out. And it equally stands out nicely when actors know how to play/fake it enough to look good to the casual observer.

Can be said for almost any gun handling, but that's an old and worn road to go down by now. Two things I like to see is press checks and seeing a gun is cocked and ready to fire, particularly in 1911 style pistols which won't fire if the hammer is down (Single action). To show both examples from the excellent movie Heat:

Hammer is back, and Pacino is pushing the slide back slightly to check for a loaded chamber.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Shawshank Redemption:

How did Andy keep putting the poster back up over the tunnel entrance after he was inside of it?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Shawshank Redemption:

How did Andy keep putting the poster back up over the tunnel entrance after he was inside of it?

You see it at one point during the flashback where he's working on it. Basically he just taped the top of the poster and let the bottom hang loose. That way he could get under it and when he was through it would just hang down like normal.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Xander77 posted:

I can't even come up with a movie that gives a poo poo about the geography of anything ever offhand. Some 70's car chase, maybe? Bullit / French Connection? It's really the last thing anyone will / should care about.

You don't even need to stay true to the area geography in order to stage a coherent chase scene with internal logic rather than a series of cuts, and that's like the one place where it could conceivably be useful.

In Bruges was decently faithful during it's chase scenes.

jasoneatspizza
Jul 6, 2010

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Depends on what you call a "great movie:"

I Know What We Did Last Summer Camp

The Unbearable Lightness of Being in Love With a Kid

Earth Tweens Are Easy

Brokeback Mountain Elementary School

American Beauty

christ there is no way i'm beating "bridge over the river kawaii"

Big Trouble in Little Vagina

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Jedit posted:

"Leap Year" mangles British Isles geography really bad. Aside from not actually depicting some of the real awesome landmarks they are supposed to represent, the route the main character has to travel to get to her final destination (Dublin) is all over the place. Basically she has to get to Dublin to meet her fiance but there's a storm so her flight gets diverted to Cardiff (why?) and she needs to find an alternative route. And i mean really alternative.

While in Cardiff she hires a fishing boat to take her to Cork, but the storm is so strong they end up porting in bleeping Dingle (which means they would pass by Cork, and then some, on the rough atlantic side).
Dublin itself is considerably closer than Dingle and almost as close as Cork. From there she has to find her way to Dublin from Dingle by land. I also remember one of the shots of Dingle clearly being the old iron age fort at Inishmore, which is an island off Galway, and another shot of the Cliffs of Moher, also not in Dingle.

Ooops Irish trains don't run on sundays (they do, actually) so she enlists the help of a local irishman that agrees to drive her to Dublin (for a price). He could have just driven her to nearby Tralee where there are busses and trains to Dublin, but the plot demands a road trip so the odd couple can fall in love.

Anyway they drive for a bit around the Dingle peninsula (which show shots of Connemara), their car is destroyed so they have to walk. Somehow manage to reach Tipperary on foot where they find a small train station. In the film it's a short hike, in reality that walk would take them probably more than a day. And the station is situated right next to a large hill with an CGI castle on top of it. Some plot poo poo and awful Irish stereotypes happens and then they finally get on a bus to Dublin.

Those were the irritating geography bits, it's also ridden with bad Irish stereotypes that would make you think they time travelled to the 1950's, and the standard romcom cliches.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Celery Face posted:

The Spinosaurus was a pretty kick rear end dinosaur but in that movie, its practically Godzilla. There's no way it could have snapped a T-Rex's neck that easily.

A major "error" i see in that fight scene is that the T-Rex early on gets a hold of the Spinos neck. The power of it's teeth, jaws and neck is basically they main strength of a T-rex, and i think in real life the spino would be done for if a T-Rex ever managed to get such a hold on the spino.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

NarkyBark posted:

When characters put their names into normal conversation, when in real life it would be very awkward to do so. This also applies to describing what the character does or is doing. I know it's for the benefit of the viewer, but it irrationally irritates me.

I hate whenever characters refer to somebody by their relationship.

"How's it going, big brother?"
"Oh you know me, sis, can't complain!"

When I talk to my siblings I call them by their name, I don't need to remind them that we're related. It just feels so forced. Do people actually do this in real life?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 39 minutes!
Star Trek first contact- What was the deal with the Borg Queen? Data is asking her all the questions the audience wants to know and she's all :smug: "Lol you dumb robot I am now going to seduce you into having robosex so you will help me take over the Enterprise."

Then later Picard is like how the gently caress are you still alive and she's all :smug: "You humans and your three dimensions"

I liked the movie but the Borg Queen was dumb and boiled down to some control freak woman Picard jilted years ago having revenge sex with Data. Did some Trekkie write this script?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

NarkyBark posted:

No, that's a perfectly normal way to talk, Morty.

http://vimeo.com/92015365

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

oldpainless posted:

To me, that's not bad writing, it's Andrew Garfield. I don't know if it's rational or irrational, but I cannot stand that guy. Half the time he's on screen, if he's not talking, he's wiggling his face around like an idiot. Seeing the first one killed all desire to see the second, just because it'd be more of his dumb face.

Jerusalem posted:

When I talk to my siblings I call them by their name, I don't need to remind them that we're related. It just feels so forced. Do people actually do this in real life?

My sister calls me "little brother" sometimes, but I can't recall ever calling her anything other than her name, or Shitlord.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Jerusalem posted:

I used to do a lot of customer service and it drove me nuts that they wanted us to use the customer's name 3 times per interaction.

The entire premise of "Snow Piercer" bothers me. The end of the world is coming and you've got a magic infinite energy machine, so you cram what's left of humanity into a speeding train?

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Panfilo posted:

Star Trek first contact- What was the deal with the Borg Queen? Data is asking her all the questions the audience wants to know and she's all :smug: "Lol you dumb robot I am now going to seduce you into having robosex so you will help me take over the Enterprise."

Then later Picard is like how the gently caress are you still alive and she's all :smug: "You humans and your three dimensions"

I liked the movie but the Borg Queen was dumb and boiled down to some control freak woman Picard jilted years ago having revenge sex with Data. Did some Trekkie write this script?

Why did the Borg fly to Earth and then launch their time travel ship? All that is going to happen is a bunch of Federation ships are going to either blow you up, blow your time traveling ship up, or detect the time travel pod and try to stop it.

What they should have done is just parked their ship somewhere secluded, then luanched the time ship and just let it cruise to Earth.

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011
The time travel was a last resort, their ideal prize was 24th century Earth with all its infrastructure and what not.

Which makes the scene where they scan alt-Earth and realize its full of borg really stupid considering that prior to that the borg just showed assimilated or killed everyone took their poo poo and hosed off.
They never just hung around planets lounging about.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Jerusalem posted:

Some cultures have honorifics to address family members. It would only really make sense if it was they were talking to someone who's older than them, like a sibling, a parent, or aunt/uncle.

Lemur Crisis
May 6, 2009

What will you do?
Where can you run?
We refer to each other like that a lot in my family, albeit always in an ironic, faux-aristocratic sort of way. '"Father?" "Yes, my son?"', etc.

My favorite thing is people hanging up the phone without saying goodbye first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APUQeQalRsU

Lemur Crisis has a new favorite as of 14:02 on Jun 19, 2014

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Jerusalem posted:

I always called my sister "sis." Unless she'd pissed me off or something; then the real name came out. Like with parents only using your middle name if you done hosed up. It is a thing people do in real life, so it doesn't bother me unless it's unusually exaggerated or awkward: "Bubba" or "Bro" sound easy and common place enough, but going full out with the "big brother" sounds awkward unless the character is using the full term because they want to emphasize the relationship to get something they want.

"Hey, big brother, you know what? I could really use your help; do you think you could give your little sister a hand?" might not sound strange because she's clearly using her familiar relationship to try and get something.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Falukorv posted:

"Leap Year" mangles British Isles geography really bad. Aside from not actually depicting some of the real awesome landmarks they are supposed to represent, the route the main character has to travel to get to her final destination (Dublin) is all over the place. Basically she has to get to Dublin to meet her fiance but there's a storm so her flight gets diverted to Cardiff (why?) and she needs to find an alternative route. And i mean really alternative.

While in Cardiff she hires a fishing boat to take her to Cork, but the storm is so strong they end up porting in bleeping Dingle (which means they would pass by Cork, and then some, on the rough atlantic side).
Dublin itself is considerably closer than Dingle and almost as close as Cork. From there she has to find her way to Dublin from Dingle by land. I also remember one of the shots of Dingle clearly being the old iron age fort at Inishmore, which is an island off Galway, and another shot of the Cliffs of Moher, also not in Dingle.

Ooops Irish trains don't run on sundays (they do, actually) so she enlists the help of a local irishman that agrees to drive her to Dublin (for a price). He could have just driven her to nearby Tralee where there are busses and trains to Dublin, but the plot demands a road trip so the odd couple can fall in love.

Anyway they drive for a bit around the Dingle peninsula (which show shots of Connemara), their car is destroyed so they have to walk. Somehow manage to reach Tipperary on foot where they find a small train station. In the film it's a short hike, in reality that walk would take them probably more than a day. And the station is situated right next to a large hill with an CGI castle on top of it. Some plot poo poo and awful Irish stereotypes happens and then they finally get on a bus to Dublin.

Those were the irritating geography bits, it's also ridden with bad Irish stereotypes that would make you think they time travelled to the 1950's, and the standard romcom cliches.

Out of interest, how do you know all this? I saw the last 5 minutes of it while I was waiting for something else to start on the TV channel, and it was absolutely insufferable and terrible- but then I knew that it must be when I read the blurb for the film. How did you get through the entire film..?

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

In Jurassic Park 2 I cannot stand Jeff Goldblum's girlfriend. She's a seasoned photographer of wild animals so she knows they need the minimum of interaction with the dinosaurs and- oh she's petting one of them. It's fine though.

Also surely using gum that's been rolling around in someone's mouth to treat a leg wound would get it infected and have the t-rex die of infection anyway?

Actually all of Hammonds research team are idiots. Part of the point of the first one was that Ingen were trying to have this big amazing park running on a shoe string budget but their complete lack of knowledge of how to deal with the dinosaurs meant everything fell apart thanks to their incompetency. In the second film the Ingen team are...actually fairly competent. They come well supplied and with a lot of man power, enough to rescue the protagonists after their dumb asses get knocked off a cliff and then they keep them captive after they release the dinosaurs into their camp. If that hadn't happened most of the Ingen team wouldn't have been eaten later into the film.

It tries to mirror the "you can't control nature" part of the first film but they were doing quite well before the protagonists hosed everything up for them.

I'm not even getting into how the T-rex managed to eat everyone on board the ship and in the cabin despite being locked inside. Unless there were some other dinosaurs the film never mentioned.

tldr Jurassic Park 2 is a piece of poo poo even ignoring gymnastics.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

DrSnakeLaser posted:

Part of the point of the first one was that Ingen were trying to have this big amazing park running on a shoe string budget

What are you talking about? They spared no expense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning

Dr_Amazing posted:

I used to do a lot of customer service and it drove me nuts that they wanted us to use the customer's name 3 times per interaction.

The entire premise of "Snow Piercer" bothers me. The end of the world is coming and you've got a magic infinite energy machine, so you cram what's left of humanity into a speeding train?

Don't they briefly explain this by saying it uses the snow it plows as a clean water source as well as a way of cooling said super infinite energy machine?

So it has to skate around the world at high speed to work or some poo poo?