Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Beef Waifu posted:

Then the way he gets killed is amazing and hilariously fitting for him.
loving with Lucy Steel is dangerous, man. I wasn't expecting Erina's counterpart to explode the final boss's head.

Edit: come to think of it, that was the second time in a row the final villain of a part was dispatched by someone other than the protagonist.

Supersonic Shine fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jun 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
So how come whenever Giorno learns a new ability of Gold Experience, he forgets all the other powers it has other than the generic "Nonliving to Living"?
Why doesn't Giorno turn the clothing of enemies into Australian wildlife?

amuayse fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jun 18, 2014

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Yeah, Gold Experience never used that life punch thing that it did on Bucciarati ever again.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Wait, so in the People Of Morioh-Cho chapter of Part 4, what was that Shigechi-looking turtle thing following Okuyasu? Was that just Shigechi's spirit chillin' or something?

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

The guy right behind him in this picture? That's Okuyasu's dad.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Oh poo poo, right. They just told everyone to meet up.

Butt Ghost fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jun 18, 2014

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Yeah, Gold Experience never used that life punch thing that it did on Bucciarati ever again.

His animals never redirected damage again either. Gold Experience was a really weird stand.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Gold Experience was really more the "Heal everyone after a fight" Stand more than anything, like Crazy Diamond and to an extent Stone Free. It's kinda weird that the protagonists of three parts in a row acted as the medics.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I don't think Stone Free ever did the healing, other than that time Jolyne sewed her own fingers after they'd been turned inside out. Foo Fighters and Diver Down were the medics of part 6.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Ah, right. I think I confused Stone Free with the thread from SBR.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
Gold Experience is hit by the "I used this cool application of my power to get out of this situation, now to never use it again" problem that almost every single jojo good guy runs into

Giorno just gets more focus, because araki actually makes a point of exploring how open ended his power is.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Gold Experience has a secret cost; Giorno can never use it the same way twice in a row.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Araki just likes to have protagonists with swiss army knife powers. Jotaro is probably the most straight-forward one. Jo2uke has the potential for the most BS, IMO, soft&wet power limitations are really undefined.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms

BlitzBlast posted:

Gold Experience has a secret cost; Giorno can never use it the same way twice in a row.

I'm vaguely reminded of The Quiz from Grant Morrison's Doom Patrol run, who has 'every power you've never thought of.'

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Agent Interrobang posted:

I'm vaguely reminded of The Quiz from Grant Morrison's Doom Patrol run, who has 'every power you've never thought of.'

Reminds me of Nico from Runaways.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Waffleman_ posted:

Gold Experience was really more the "Heal everyone after a fight" Stand more than anything, like Crazy Diamond and to an extent Stone Free. It's kinda weird that the protagonists of three parts in a row acted as the medics.
Though, GE's healing was a lot more hosed up than Crazy Diamond's magical healing. Like, hey, I lost this chunk of my face, including my eye. I'll just make a new one out of this bug and slide it right in, back where it should be!

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
After Giorno put them in he fixed the nerve connections too, so it worked out. It was just really painful.

The real question is how the hell Foo Fighters was suppose to heal things.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

BlitzBlast posted:

The real question is how the hell Foo Fighters was suppose to heal things.

Her plankton voodoo magic. Don't worry about it.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!
To be honest, I think part of the reason why Araki started doing stands instead of the ripple was that the ripple was incredibly ill-defined. At least with stands, you can sort of confine things to "the stand has this kind of power".

Throughout Battle Tendency, Joseph Joestar alone:

Knocks out a dude in a plane
Makes a cola bottle shoot the cap so hard it breaks a dude's finger
Catches space ripper stingy eyes in a shot glass and returns it
Blocks machinegun fire with Nazi hair
Hardens spaghetti.
Stuffs ripple pigeon in a girl's mouth.
However the gently caress he made the Clacker thing come back and hit Wham in the face.
Cuts off a dude's arm with sharp rippled oiled wire.
Ripples through wool from his hat.

Counting stuff Caesar does with it as well:

Catch spaghetti with pasta and return it
Mind control a girl with a ripple kiss.
Shoot ripple-laden soap bubbles
Shoot spinning cutting soap bubbles.
Control the bubbles after launch to create a lens.

Like, literally "whatever the plot desires" was the power of the Ripple. At least stands are well-defined enough that the weird things people do with them is generally confined to stuff that makes sense in the context of the power. Soft&wet, for example, seems to be able to take away things as long as you can define them. This is also why Star Finger from Star Platinum feels like a copout, because super strength and speed doesn't contextualise "stretch fingers" reasonably, whereas "turn things into living things" can reasonably (for some values of reasonable) lead to Giorno's healing power.

Broniki
Sep 2, 2009

Feminist Frequency is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign. Donate today!

I found Killer Queen's extra abilities pretty contrived. So it can charge things to explode, that is cool and has a lot of potential uses. But then it also has an autonomous heat-seeking bomb tank, which has infinite range and is invincible because ???. And then it can open its stomach and carry another stand inside itself. And it can also cause a time-loop with reality-warping and precognitive powers?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

darealkooky posted:

Gold Experience is hit by the "I used this cool application of my power to get out of this situation, now to never use it again" problem that almost every single jojo good guy runs into

Giorno just gets more focus, because araki actually makes a point of exploring how open ended his power is.

Star Platinum never used the Star Finger attack after the fight against Forever.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Broniki posted:

I found Killer Queen's extra abilities pretty contrived. So it can charge things to explode, that is cool and has a lot of potential uses. But then it also has an autonomous heat-seeking bomb tank, which has infinite range and is invincible because ???. And then it can open its stomach and carry another stand inside itself. And it can also cause a time-loop with reality-warping and precognitive powers?

The last one was at least because the stand was super-charged while Kira was busy being super loving desperate.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

http://jojosbizarrevoices.tumblr.com/post/89078651655/propane-nightmare

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Broniki posted:

The way I interpret, Killer Queen's ability isn't strictly "make things explode", it's "protect Kira's identity at all costs so he can live a quiet and peaceful life". Bomb No.1 does this by allowing Kira to destroy any evidence of his crimes without a trace, and Sheer Heart Attack does this by allowing Kira to take out threats to his safety remotely and without revealing his identity. These are the initial manifestation of his stand ability, while Bites the Dust takes it to its logical conclusion and gives Kira an almost ironclad way to safeguard his identity.

Being able to put Stray Cat in its stomach is an rear end pull though.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
It's not Kira's fault that nobody else opened up their soul man and put somebody else's soulman in before him.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
How is it any different than Stray Cat resting on his shoulder or something?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Didn't he just put it in the hole where Sheer Heart Attack hangs out when it's not killing dudes?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Sheer Heart Attack is in Killer Queen's hand.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

How is it any different than Stray Cat resting on his shoulder or something?

'Cause he had to keep it in the dark so when he opened up it would wake up and attack.

Also catplant.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Stray Cat's not a stand, it's a stand user, right? The plant is real. But Killer Queen is just a stand. Normal people can't see Stands, but normal people can see plants.

If a normal person saw Kira and Killer Queen, would they see a sleeping cat-plant floating next to a businessman? Or does being inside a stand shield him somehow?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Stray Cat is a stand, the cat's actual name is Gatta. I don't think there are details on what Gatta is supposed to be exactly after it possesses the plant. Part 4 is weird about this stuff what with the spirits of the dead lying in an alleyway and the alien that just shows up. It could be anything and with Araki it most definitely is.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Stray Cat's not a stand, it's a stand user, right? The plant is real. But Killer Queen is just a stand. Normal people can't see Stands, but normal people can see plants.

If a normal person saw Kira and Killer Queen, would they see a sleeping cat-plant floating next to a businessman? Or does being inside a stand shield him somehow?

There was a non-stand-user watching the fight, Hayato is there for the whole thing and he can see Stray Cat but not Killer Queen or Crazy Diamond. I guess we'll never know if he just saw a cat plant floating in the air.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
It's weird because Hayato quite clearly can see Stray Cat but his mom must be loving blind as poo poo because Stray Cat kept hating at her and she's just like "what is this why did my toenail go flying off what is going on here" rather than the more appropriate question of "why is there a plant with eyes growling at me"

I'd argue the weird bender flap on Killer Queen is something along the lines of stuff like Polnareff being able to shrink his stand down and poo poo. Just suddenly deciding "I think it'd be cool if my stand also had a loving storage space in it" just because he can. I'm sure if he wanted to he could make Killer Queen sprout a fro as well and put on some sunglasses.

I think Stray Cat being inside Killer Queen meant it was sorta just disappearing from sight, though, since Hayato had no clue where the hell it went after it disappeared from his backpack and he didn't seem to be able to see it when Killer Queen had it.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Exercu posted:

Soft&wet, for example, seems to be able to take away things as long as you can define them.
Why can't Soft & Wet steal the "living" or "able to win a fight" or "is an evil dude" aspect from Gappy's opponents? What are the limits? It's one of the most confusing stands in the whole series.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

As far as I've observed, it's only able to steal things that 1) are physical properties or characteristics, and 2) do not DIRECTLY cause mortal harm to anyone. So he can't steal, for example, 'all of your blood,' but he can steal 'all of your sweat.'

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Steal all of the taste of a liar

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

trucutru posted:

Steal all of the taste of a liar

He can't. Giorno is made of the taste of a liar on an atomic level, and stealing it all would cause him to lose molecular cohesion.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Agent Interrobang posted:

As far as I've observed, it's only able to steal things that 1) are physical properties or characteristics, and 2) do not DIRECTLY cause mortal harm to anyone. So he can't steal, for example, 'all of your blood,' but he can steal 'all of your sweat.'

I dunno about that, he did steal the rock dude's oxygen last chapter. Not all of it, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

Begemot posted:

I dunno about that, he did steal the rock dude's oxygen last chapter. Not all of it, but still.

Oxygen isn't an intrinsic quality of his body, though. Oxygen's just air, it's exactly the same whether it's inside of a body or not. He didn't swipe the oxygen from the dude's bloodstream, just the stuff that was in his lungs. I grant you this is STRETCHING my possible definition, but it's the only thing that really fits observable evidence.

• Locked thread