Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

TheRamblingSoul posted:

Are you serious? My God, and we all are supposed to learn extraterritoriality ended with British rule in China in the 1800s in school. :psyduck:

As far as I know, there are SOFA agreements with at least most foreign nations they have bases on, ranging from soldiers being booted at the home countries request to a charge being brought before being surrendered to the home countries custody (Japan).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

SquadronROE posted:

I love how stories like that come out, and a common response is "Well yeah, that's what happens when you put GOVERNMENT in charge!". The oversimplification makes my head hurt.

It's starve the beast mentality at it's best. The clusterfuck that is government IT (or government anything, really), goes right back to Reagan's "shrinking" of the government by contracting everything possible to the private sector. You get bidding wars, shortcuts with almost no accountablity, and mass loss of institutional knowledge when the contract changes hands. If you're lucky, you stay on with the new contractor (my boss has been here almost 20 years through multiple contracts, I don't know how she's still sane), but if not, then it's like starting over from scratch. On top of that you have multiple contracts working on different layers of the system that need to work together, and that's a whole other layer of loving up.

This place would drive me to drink if they weren't paying me a ridiculous amount of money.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

SubponticatePoster posted:

I work for state, not federal government but the IT here is also a bit of a mess. We recently did a migration to new servers, finally getting off XP. Every person has their own folder on the server for stored data. Before the migration our poor IT guy had to tell everyone to remove their personal files from the H: drive because they would not be migrated. People were storing loving cat pictures, youtube videos and music on their government-owned personal folder.

Also we paid 2m for a custom VOIP system so we could stop paying for landlines for 1500 people at our agency. It was only compatible with IE6. Which was already 3 years out of date by the time they started making the software. Now it's patched together with loving bubblegum and pubic hair and crashes constantly. Which means our entire agency's phones don't work except for the few landlines that managers have.

Government IT is a clusterfuck of epic proportions because nobody wants to pay for anything in the first place, compounded with the fact that technology moves so fast things get outdated quickly. In addition your average government worker at Agency X is a loving moron who doesn't know anything about computers so they're constantly breaking things, loving up data, etc. I'm no IT expert, I understand the basic workings of OS's, hardware, etc and yet I spend a fair amount of time helping people get their poo poo running. I don't get IT pay. But if they put in a call to the helpdesk they'll be waiting for 45 minutes because of all the other morons who've hosed something up and need it fixed. I'm not surprised the IRS doesn't have any backups from that time period.

To be fair your average any person anywhere is a loving moron with technology.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
For those who want to discuss the Washington football team thing there's a thread in TFF:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3644171

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Fried Chicken posted:

Well the team can keep using the name and logo, they just can't stop anyone else from using it now. So you could start selling redskins gear now and they can't sue you. It will probably cost them some money with licensing companies, but I'd expect the contract had a clause to cover it already
There aren't a lot of problems in the world that goons are perfect for, but this is one of them.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I find it hard to believe that anyone who says government is the sole entity responsible for misuse of material or incompetence has actually worked in the private sector.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

haveblue posted:

It can be appealed, but this is an enormous PR loss that will probably have immediate ramifications regardless of the legal status of the trademark.

Didn't hurt them too bad the last time it happened a few years back.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Fried Chicken posted:

A Bureau of Land Management ranger and California Highway Patrol officer have been shot in rural Nevada by a sovereign citizen.

No direct link to the Bundy ranch at this time, but his social media postings make it clear his sympathies like along those lines

Charles Pierce has a rundown
http://esqm.ag/6019c2dt

Neither injury is life threatening but still

Quoting myself because it got buried at the bottom of the last page

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jun 18, 2014

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Fried Chicken posted:

Quoting myself because it got buried at the bottom of the last page

Have been what in Nevada by a sovereign citizen?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

axeil posted:

gently caress me. I don't know if it's phone posting or just my brain going faster than my thumbs but Jesus I dropped the ball there.

They were shot.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

axeil posted:

Shot. A couple of guys got shot.

I am not up on this, but one thing a lot of urban folks don't know is that people working for BLM and various Fish and Wildlife departments get loving capped with some regularity, especially in places like Wyoming, Utah, Idaho, etc. Rural folks don't like you wandering onto their land and in really remote rural places people are often there because they're up to something.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Fried Chicken posted:

Well the team can keep using the name and logo, they just can't stop anyone else from using it now. So you could start selling redskins gear now and they can't sue you. It will probably cost them some money with licensing companies, but I'd expect the contract had a clause to cover it already

Not going to lie, wanting to make gear trolling Washington fans the second the trademark is permanently revoked is the only appropriate thing to do-- double points for nutshotting Dan Snyder in the process. That fanbase deserves 110% of the hate they get.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Oh and here's a solid link on the role of finance in the budget problems states and municipalities are having

http://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2014...campaign=buffer

More relevant because of the stuff announced this morning with Nee Jersey's bond restructuring

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

rkajdi posted:

Not going to lie, wanting to make gear trolling Washington fans the second the trademark is permanently revoked is the only appropriate thing to do-- double points for nutshotting Dan Snyder in the process. That fanbase deserves 110% of the hate they get.

You're fine if you act until the appeal is made and a stay granted IIRC, so gogogo

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

I say we rename them the Washington Congressmen, because they never manage to pass anything either

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The Washington Semantics.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

TheRamblingSoul posted:

Are you serious? My God, and we all are supposed to learn extraterritoriality ended with British rule in China in the 1800s in school. :psyduck:

Hah look at this naive guy. I was never taught that and thus never assumed stuff like that ever stopped.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Call them the Washington Democrats because they get their fans' hopes up at the beginning of the season with big talk but end up letting them down by the end of the year. Also they haven't really accomplished anything since the 70s for the most part except for when a black man led them to the promised land

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

api call girl posted:

To be fair your average any person anywhere is a loving moron with technology.
Yeah. "Average worker" is pretty much "average joe." When you go get a job with the government, it's not like they give you a 4 year degree in CS so you can use your workstation without blowing something up. It's just funny (sad) that people squawk about this, but go talk to any Republican congressman about computer poo poo and he'll probably say "oh I don't know, I have an unpaid intern that does that stuff."

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

So according to the reports after meeting with congressional leaders, Obama has completely ruled out sending combat troops to Iraq to fight ISIS and at this time we won't be doing air strikes because there aren't any solid targets for them. That may change as the situation does, but for now no targets mean no missiles or drones. Boehner is against coordinating with Iran because of the message it would send to our allies in the region (read as: Israel) but that he is coming out against that means that is at least being talked about by someone as our response - intelligence sharing with Iran

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/cia-facing-gaps-iraq-it-hunts-militants

I'm pretty ok with that for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that historically intelligence agencies talking has been a good deterrent to countries going to war, plus a good intelligence network watching ISIS is a good idea. Bastards willing to butcher 1700 people and brag about it are the kind who you will need to eventually deal with, though invasion airstrikes and war isn't a good way

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jun 18, 2014

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Fried Chicken posted:

I say we rename them the Washington Congressmen, because they never manage to pass anything either

:iceburn:

TheRamblingSoul posted:

I envy you the coma you've clearly been in since 2003, though it must be startling to awaken and find an America much different from the one you remember.

That Irish Gal
Jul 8, 2012

Your existence amounts to nothing more than a goldfish swimming upriver.

PS: We are all actually cats

TheRamblingSoul posted:

Heh. Heh eh heh. Pfffthahahaha. HAHAHAHAHAHA

:smith:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

TheRamblingSoul posted:

This is still a thing in Korea & Japan.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Thank the gods. Obama's allergy to foreign misadventures is probably his most admirable accomplishment.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Shageletic posted:

Thank the gods. Obama's allergy to foreign misadventures is probably his most admirable accomplishment.

I dunno he really wanted to bomb the poo poo out of Syria for awhile there.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

But didn't at the end, did he? AKA a George Bush?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
He said "it's Congress' job" :smugdog: because the only thing he's good at is domestic politics.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
I have a feeling someone investigating Lois Lerner will say something about how we need to back up all emails all the time in the government and then when they hear how much that would actually cost will very quickly shut the gently caress up about it. It's not unreasonable for a years worth of emails to be in excess of a GB, and if everyone is constantly CC'ing and Reply Alling with images or attachments things get out of hand very fast.

I do IT for a municipality and trying to keep everything up to date and running is loving awful. The lion's share of the budget ends up going to things that have direct impact on citizens because the budget has to be approved by elected officials.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Shageletic posted:

But didn't at the end, did he? AKA a George Bush?

Only because Congress wouldn't approve it. Also the Russians went behind his back to tell Assad to hand over the chemical weapons. Obama was going as hawk as he could, the only thing that kept him from taking a page out of the neo-con playbook was his promise not to send troops in, of course that wouldn't stop him from sending JSOC in, who have been omnipresent in the region since 2001 and have conducted operations in Syria in the past and probably are currently without the knowledge of the public.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

silvergoose posted:

I would imagine they can just change the name and then have to completely rebrand everything. Or move the team and do the same thing.

Crazy, though.

The thing is that Snyder didn't change the name pretty much entirely because he was told he should change the name. He's that kind of rear end in a top hat and this is going to twist him in knots.

Or as a random reddit poster put it: "Snyder now has to pick between the name and the money."

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Fried Chicken posted:

A Bureau of Land Management ranger and California Highway Patrol officer have been in rural Nevada by a sovereign citizen.

No direct link to the Bundy ranch at this time, but his social media postings make it clear his sympathies like along those lines

Charles Pierce has a rundown
http://esqm.ag/6019c2dt

Neither injury is life threatening but still

Does this mean that we can finally start arresting these fuckers now?

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

It doesn't change the number of them you can arrest (a significant minority).

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Only because Congress wouldn't approve it. Also the Russians went behind his back to tell Assad to hand over the chemical weapons. Obama was going as hawk as he could, the only thing that kept him from taking a page out of the neo-con playbook was his promise not to send troops in, of course that wouldn't stop him from sending JSOC in, who have been omnipresent in the region since 2001 and have conducted operations in Syria in the past and probably are currently without the knowledge of the public.

What color is the sky in your reality?

He fought against getting involved for 2 years. His "red line" comment and refusal to bomb after it was a Romney attack line against him. The eventual deal wasn't "Russia going behind his back", it was initially proposed by Kerry in 2011 when Obama briefed congressional leaders on the situation. The administration pursued it then and it was rejected, Kerry went back to his own idea for an off the cuff remark. It was then negotiated in public where our concession was not including improvised chlorine bombs in the definition. You are claiming he sent JDOC in, and then following it up by saying they have been in the region since 2001, so nice history there.

Seriously where the hell are you pulling this narrative from, Fox News? It doesn't reflect what happened at all.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

SedanChair posted:

He said "it's Congress' job" :smugdog: because the only thing he's good at is domestic politics.

Whatever the reason, Congress is supposed to determine whether we go to war.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Nativity In Black posted:

I have a feeling someone investigating Lois Lerner will say something about how we need to back up all emails all the time in the government and then when they hear how much that would actually cost will very quickly shut the gently caress up about it. It's not unreasonable for a years worth of emails to be in excess of a GB, and if everyone is constantly CC'ing and Reply Alling with images or attachments things get out of hand very fast.

I do IT for a municipality and trying to keep everything up to date and running is loving awful. The lion's share of the budget ends up going to things that have direct impact on citizens because the budget has to be approved by elected officials.

I was going to say hopefully this will mean more money for IT, but probably just end up as an unfunded mandate for double or triple redundancy for all the IRS's cat photos and after work bar meetup arrangements.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The narrative is that Obama is a child when it comes to foreign policy looking for "the right porridge". It's been internalized because The Media wants to sound objective.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

ReindeerF posted:

I am not an IT people, but the thing that hit me about the story was when her computer crashed in a way that made data stored on it irrecoverable. I mean how often does that happen? you'd have to have the battery catch fire or Walter White going after the evidence room with his giant magnet, wouldn't you?

Depends. Certain types of mechanical failures, particularly, do essentially total the drive. You could theoretically get the data back in some cases if you took extreme measures (disassembling and remounting the platters in another drive in a cleanroom, scanning the platters millimeter by millimeter with an electron microscope, etc), but in practical terms those do kill the drive. Particularly laptops are susceptible to those kinds of failures due to the physical movement they undergo, but they can happen to any spinning disk. SSDs can also fail, the memory cells have a lifetime measured in write-cycles, but this likely wasn't an SSD.

Certain things you do on the PC can also make data extremely difficult to recover. Files are stored in a structure, then chunks of the file are scattered all across the disk, if you lose either the file structure or the block structure recovering the disk is painful at best and totally impossible at worst. To quote the guy earlier, it's like trying to reassemble a picture from chunks of the individual pixels, a puzzle where all of the pieces are square and you don't even know where the pieces begin and end on the disk or how big they are.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jun 18, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Nonsense posted:

The narrative is that Obama is a child when it comes to foreign policy looking for "the right porridge". It's been internalized because The Media wants to sound objective.

I have literally never heard that before.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Nonsense posted:

I'm not sure what the alternative is to the "right porridge".... The "wrong porridge"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

mcmagic posted:

I'm not sure what the alternative is to the "right porridge".... The "wrong porridge"?

Porridge is gross.

• Locked thread