Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Weissritter posted:

I feel like the dragoon in Hatali HM final boss encounter is a play on that.

Even the dragoon in this neat thing sucks if you watch him. I guess Dragoons are the butt of jokes even for the Japanese players?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDg44MVJLrw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Even the dragoon in this neat thing sucks if you watch him. I guess Dragoons are the butt of jokes even for the Japanese players?

This is glorious :allears:

dangersandwich
May 18, 2014
Dragoons and monks in this game are the rogues of WoW. A lot of people play either or both, but the vast majority of them have no loving clue how to play either properly. Which is sad because dragoon is second only to black mage for highest burst damage ability, and monk has the absolute highest damage potential for any extended fight that doesn't have constant phase transitions.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

I did a thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivJNY57AFY0

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

You did a lot of things, for a very long time.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
But Dude, don't you know? Accuracy is useless on a healer.

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!

Pomp posted:

You did a lot of things, for a very long time.

I hope I am doing the right thing on my Novus by upping Determination and Piety as a WHM :ohdear:

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)

Belzac posted:

But Dude, don't you know? Accuracy is useless on a healer.

I actually am genuinely curious about this. I haven't stepped foot in second coil (and I believe my FC may be attempting T5 tonight) tonight, so I'm entirely unsure how important accuracy is for a healer, particularly scholar. I guess the big thing is that I'm uncertain how much I'll actually get to DPS later on.

I'm also only starting my second animus book, so I have plenty of time for that, too.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Alakaiser posted:

I actually am genuinely curious about this. I haven't stepped foot in second coil (and I believe my FC may be attempting T5 tonight) tonight, so I'm entirely unsure how important accuracy is for a healer, particularly scholar. I guess the big thing is that I'm uncertain how much I'll actually get to DPS later on.

I'm also only starting my second animus book, so I have plenty of time for that, too.

Virus can miss.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

Alakaiser posted:

I did it because I spend a significant amount of my time in all the second coil encounters DPSing. Whether you can get away with this all depends on your group and how skilled your other healer is however, it all varies per fight. But for most of the fights I spend at least half and possibly as much as three quarters of the fight adding DPS, with my contributions usually being in the 100-150 DPS range, which is quite significant. Again though, this all depends on your group, and it also requires a certain amount of familiarity with the fights since you have to know when the damage spikes happen, even more so than you normally want to know just to optimize your Adloquium usage.

E: Also Virus can't miss, or has a much lower miss rate than usual. This is actually true in general for abilities that don't do damage up front, which funnily enough includes Bio and Bio II. Both spells just apply a debuff without dealing direct damage, even though their only purpose is dealing damage, and because of that they don't miss. That's also something you might want to keep in mind on weighing if you want accuracy on your Novus or not, since it'll only really affect Miasma, Aero, Ruin and Energy Drain damage.

Smart Car fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jun 18, 2014

Hardbody Jones
Dec 14, 2002

Endgame Scholars are a hybrid damage class rather than a pure healer, to the chagrin of many. Some go all in and have crafted i90 gear slotted with accuracy, but the Novus makes getting to accuracy cap a lot easier.

Kuai
May 25, 2004
Is it just me or do the Novus glows kinda suck? Look like they just slapped a masterwork glow and zenith glow together and said "yea that looks fine".

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Smart Car posted:

I did it because I spend a significant amount of my time in all the second coil encounters DPSing. Whether you can get away with this all depends on your group and how skilled your other healer is however, it all varies per fight. But for most of the fights I spend at least half and possibly as much as three quarters of the fight adding DPS, with my contributions usually being in the 100-150 DPS range, which is quite significant. Again though, this all depends on your group, and it also requires a certain amount of familiarity with the fights since you have to know when the damage spikes happen, even more so than you normally want to know just to optimize your Adloquium usage.

E: Also Virus can't miss, or has a much lower miss rate than usual. This is actually true in general for abilities that don't do damage up front, which funnily enough includes Bio and Bio II. Both spells just apply a debuff without dealing direct damage, even though their only purpose is dealing damage, and because of that they don't miss. That's also something you might want to keep in mind on weighing if you want accuracy on your Novus or not, since it'll only really affect Miasma, Aero, Ruin and Energy Drain damage.

I swear I've seen a virus miss before. Maybe I'm just crazy.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I had bio miss on a levequest just now. I'm level 39 and he was level 44, so it isn't uncommon for something to miss, but bio certainly did.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Kuai posted:

Is it just me or do the Novus glows kinda suck? Look like they just slapped a masterwork glow and zenith glow together and said "yea that looks fine".

They've promised the next step gets an all new re-skin, so they're probably spending their time on that and did something akin to this for Novus weapons.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

This video was one of the reasons I went with monk over dragoon.

Mr. Nice! posted:

I had bio miss on a levequest just now. I'm level 39 and he was level 44, so it isn't uncommon for something to miss, but bio certainly did.

Isn't that just your standard "level differences cause a miss rate of X% per level difference" found in MMOs? In Lotro a mob 5 levels above you avoids probably 50% of your attacks.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I can't say why, for sure. It missed is all I know.

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

Doublestep posted:

Virus can miss.

I think it displays as a miss if the enemy has Anti-body

Stufoo
May 9, 2010

Everybody Loves Me
and that's just about as funky as I can be

Evil Fluffy posted:

Isn't that just your standard "level differences cause a miss rate of X% per level difference" found in MMOs?

Coil bosses aren't level 50, and that is why we miss them too. You wear accuracy only to counter-act the miss rate because they are so high level.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
I wish they showed the level on the boss. I think I was in an Odin fate and saw the Gungnirs were level 60.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Are monks dps only? Can they tank 4 man content at all?

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

There are no hybrids in the game currently, unless you count bored healers throwing out dps in a dungeon as a hybrid anyway.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

You will see exactly how tanky you are once you're regularly running Low-Level Roulette.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Belzac posted:

I wish they showed the level on the boss. I think I was in an Odin fate and saw the Gungnirs were level 60.

Odin does show, iirc, because of the nature of Odin. He gains a level every time he's defeated and drops a certain number when he wipes everyone.

Failboattootoot posted:

There are no hybrids in the game currently, unless you count bored healers throwing out dps in a dungeon as a hybrid anyway.

I'm not quite level 50 yet, but SCH/SMN are the closest to hybrid jobs out there right now. Doing every dungeon/trial up to level 34 (haven't ran cutter's yet) with my SCH results in incredibly fast runs because we effectively have 3 dps. Hell, I was in normal copperbell earlier today and never once had to use physick. I just sat around throwing three dots on every enemy. I don't know how it is at endgame, but prior to that they are ridiculously overpowered.

Likewise I've done a couple of dungeons pre-30 and used my topaz carbuncle to basically tank everything.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Low level dungeons - sure. I've ended up three-manning it when tanks would drop and a cool PUG or MNK would step up to keep trash and mobs off of us. PUGs have it easier though, since they can slot in flash, and actually hold hate.

(Short answer: Yes, long answer: Yes but it's not really intended, and my WHM can probably do it about as well.)

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

SCH does get more involved healing-wise the further you go but most low-level dungeons you an clear by /follow:ing someone and going to make a sandwich.

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
They were all out of Marquess.
Quick question about the mobile authenicator:

Do you have to have an active sub to FFXI/FFXIV in order to attach/detach one?

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Al Baron posted:

Quick question about the mobile authenicator:

Do you have to have an active sub to FFXI/FFXIV in order to attach/detach one?

Don't think so; it's managed from the SE account system, which you can access whether you have a sub or not.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
WAR has way too many good actions that I want to the left hand side of my hotbars. I've only just hit 38 on it and this is becoming a real problem for me.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

ActionZero posted:

WAR has way too many good actions that I want to the left hand side of my hotbars. I've only just hit 38 on it and this is becoming a real problem for me.

If you're playing on a keyboard, make sure that you're using your ` key, as well as alt, shift and (optionally) ctrl modifiers. Even if you have small hands, you should be able to hit ` through 4, which is 15 keys with alt+shift.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
I also recommend binding strafe to A and D and using Q/E/alt+Q/alt+E for common actions. I have Heavy Thrust and Phlebotomize on Q/E for DRG, for instance.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

Obviously it would dependent on many things, but for the purposes of maximizing healer DPS in the second coil, would a acc melded Novus actually be better than a HA weapon? I don't really know how acc works, so I dunno how much 31 acc increases your hit rate, versus the higher MDMG/Stats on the HA book.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

I literally can't play without one anymore.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Doc Quinn how much gil did that take you, by the end?

VVV edit: All the lalafells run together to me I'm sorry man :shobon:

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jun 18, 2014

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Nice. How's that make you feel Dudude?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Are you guys saying you don't use the same name in game as here on the board?!

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

Volt Catfish posted:

Doc Quinn how much gil did that take you, by the end?

VVV edit: All the lalafells run together to me I'm sorry man :shobon:
I spent about 4 million gil on materia, but I only used up half the materia I bought so I could've spent far less. I also made over a million gil just from the gil dropped by killing enemies in Brayflox. If I'd bothered spiritbonding doing the myth farming I would probably have ended up at a net positive.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Behold, the most terrifying thing in all Eorzea:

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Behold, the most terrifying thing in all Eorzea:

Holy poo poo, that trade request.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prince Reggie K
Feb 12, 2007

I've been denied all the best Ultra-Sex.
So I got the game last night. I'm level 3 and havent even run out of fetch quests in the starter town. Is this normal? Also, if I want to change class do I just buy and equip the appropriate weapon or is there more to it?

• Locked thread