Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Politicalrancor posted:

Not that they were peaches themselves but growing up in southern california I feel downright spoiled by Mark and Brian. Mark could get creepy but he was mostly harmless. Is Morning Zoo style radio really like that?

They vary from lame to hacky to creepy to grotesque. There are some really gross assholes in the morning zoo biz. Mancow has always been a gross oval office, and he's somehow less odious than he was when he pretended to be born again after Howard Stern destroyed him.

The Grease Man was a personal favorite of mine. He suggested that someone should kill 4 more black guys so we could get the entire MLK day week off, and that someone should drag Lauren Hill behind a pickup truck for making "anti-white" comments. This was within days James Bird being dragged to death by a truck in Jasper, Texas. If you can find it, the audio of him apologizing for his comments on Lauren Hill is loving hilarious. It's like the Michael Richards apology on Letterman, except his wife gets in on it and berates him for being stupid in front of a room full of reporters.

There's also that "blow me up Tom" idiot from LA, the one James Adomian does an amazing impression of. I think he's been relegated to pay radio on the internet. His view of women is enough to make your loving skin crawl.

Obviously most morning zoo guys are not as bad as that, but the not lovely ones are pretty few and far between. For some reason, the morning radio audiences tend to have the highest concentration of cross eyed mouth breathers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Lol yeah we had Leykis out here for forever, but for some reason im thinking he was afternoon drive time, though I could just be flat out wrong. He is garbage though.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The morning people in my city are sorta irritating, but it's more "Referring to everything with a modicum of popularity as great and being mindless cheerleaders", which I at least understand, because making radio as non challenging as possible has been around forever, and it's a formula that works. Judging by what Kurt said, I'd be begging for my local morning DJ's after maybe 20 minutes of Mancow.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The morning people in my city are sorta irritating, but it's more "Referring to everything with a modicum of popularity as great and being mindless cheerleaders", which I at least understand, because making radio as non challenging as possible has been around forever, and it's a formula that works. Judging by what Kurt said, I'd be begging for my local morning DJ's after maybe 20 minutes of Mancow.

I have a soft spot in my heart for Mancow. He came to Detroit radio at the exact perfect time for me, where I was turning into a Republican rear end in a top hat myself and I began listening to talk radio for the first time as I entered my 20s.

I loved his show and never missed it, having a warehouse job where I listened to the radio 8 hours a day. As I became a bit more jaded and bit less sheltered, I realized all his bits were staged...I mean, I knew a lot of them were, but it turned out pretty much *ALL* were fake. Then he began to grate on me. Now I can't listen to him, but I can't hate him because he did get me into talk radio.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Politicalrancor posted:

Lol yeah we had Leykis out here for forever, but for some reason im thinking he was afternoon drive time, though I could just be flat out wrong. He is garbage though.

Yeah, Leykis is not a "morning zoo" guy.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

DangerDummy! posted:

There's also that "blow me up Tom" idiot from LA, the one James Adomian does an amazing impression of. I think he's been relegated to pay radio on the internet. His view of women is enough to make your loving skin crawl.

...drat it, I'd convinced myself that was a character. Even knowing he does impressions, not characters, I couldn't believe Leykis was real.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

FitFortDanga posted:

Yeah, Leykis is not a "morning zoo" guy.

Huh. My mistake. He's still human garbage, though.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Medullah posted:

I have a soft spot in my heart for Mancow. He came to Detroit radio at the exact perfect time for me, where I was turning into a Republican rear end in a top hat myself and I began listening to talk radio for the first time as I entered my 20s.

I loved his show and never missed it, having a warehouse job where I listened to the radio 8 hours a day. As I became a bit more jaded and bit less sheltered, I realized all his bits were staged...I mean, I knew a lot of them were, but it turned out pretty much *ALL* were fake. Then he began to grate on me. Now I can't listen to him, but I can't hate him because he did get me into talk radio.

I feel this way about Dennis Miller. So I understand, I think.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Oddball 2014 hasn't been announced yet, but Maron let slip that it will include him, Louis, Aziz, Attell, and Silverman.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Louis CK is the only reason I would go to Oddball again and that's because I've never seen him before. But I'm not too worried about never getting to see him. I mostly went just for Chappelle last year. I was also interested in the rest of the festival, but it was just too big and wild for me.

Sarah Silverman did a surprise set, I got to see John Mulaney for the first time, and all the other people were very funny, but pretty much everything was working against the atmosphere. Thousands of loud drunkards and much farther average distance from the performers even with good seats. The majority of problems stemmed from the former, the constant din seemed to gently caress with the comedians' pacings and no one except Chappelle really seemed comfortable riffing at all for fear that they would lose the crowd. People were constantly milling in and out of the seats, especially before Chappelle's set. Mulaney's conversational style got totally drowned out and there was barely any breathing room for stuff like pauses to the point where I was recognizing that he was saying funny things but not really swept up in the moment with everybody the way you get at a comedy club.

It might have been issues with getting the first year set-up, but one-night-only at a huge stadium is a totally different beast from your usual multi-room or multi-stage festival over a weekend. I don't know, I'll definitely check out the line-up again, but ~$80 and a decent length drive to a venue is a lot of commitment.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Yeah comedy sucks outside in my opinion. I don't see the appeal of sitting in a 15,000 seat amphitheater to watch stand up. Even a 15,000 indoor theater like MSG doesn't sound fun.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

I thought it was already widely known that Mancow is human garbage.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I honestly typically hate anything bigger than a 50 or so person crowd. Obviously if its a big name in a small to medium sized theater its fine. But it just feels weird to me to sit at the back of a huge auditorium watching stand up.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Al! posted:

I thought it was already widely known that Mancow is human garbage.

Never hurts to reinforce that fact, especially of he's continuing to act that way.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
For anyone who enjoyed the documentary "I Am Comic", Jordan Brady has released the sequel about road comics.

I Am Road Comic posted:

Interviews with T.J. Miller, Pete Holmes, Marc Maron, Doug Benson, Jim Norton, Judah Friedlander, Alonzo Bodden, Maria Bamford, Jen Kirkman, Auggie Smith, W. Kamau Bell, Nikki Glaser, Wayne Federman, Seth Milstein, Oni Perez, Alysia Wood, Kris Tinkle, Traci Skene, Brian McKim, Tim O’Rourke, Tom Rhodes, Kyle Kinane and yours truly.

I haven't seen it yet, but the first doc did a good job of explaining a lot of stand-up terms and had great stories. I bet this one will be good too.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I bought and watched that, thought it was pretty good. It's worth $5.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

The Meltdown pilot is online and free.

http://splitsider.com/2014/07/watch-the-pilot-for-the-meltdown-with-jonah-and-kumail-on-amazon-for-free/

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

And requires Microsoft Silverlight to watch. :a2m:

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I've been getting into loads of stand up through podcasts like the nerdist/wtf/joe rogan etc.

Some thing that has really struck is that some stand ups are actually much better at just talking to other people than actual stand up? I'm sure I'm not the first person to mention this (marc maron talks about it some times).

I hadn't heard bill burr before (apart from being interviewed). His stuff just completely flawed me and I immediately looked up all his sets on youtube and will buy his latest album. He is probably the funniest guy I have heard in years.

Then joe rogan who I enjoy being a podcast guy/commentator who can be funny in conversation I didn't really laugh once during the stuff I listened too?

Jippa fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jul 9, 2014

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Jippa posted:

I've been getting into loads of stand up through podcasts like the nerdist/wtf/joe rogan etc.

Some thing that has really struck is that some stand ups are actually much better at just talking to other people than actual stand up? I'm sure I'm not the first person to mention this (marc maron talks about it some times).

I hadn't hear bill burr before (apart from being interviewed). His stuff just completely flawed me and I immediately looked up all his sets on youtube and will buy his latest album. He is probably the funniest guy I have heard in years.

Then joe rogan who I enjoy being a podcast guy/commentator who can be funny in conversation I didn't really laugh once during the stuff I listened too?

Chris Hardwick is a great example of this to me. I don't love his stand up but he's overall a funny guy. My husband feels this way about Ron Funches -- doesn't like his prepared stuff but loves him when he's on things like @Midnight.

Based on last week's Comedy Bang Bang I can't wait for Joe Wengert's special on the 18th.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Jippa posted:

I think a lot of people who are funny or want to be funny do stand up even if it doesn't fit their strengths. So someone whose really funny in an ordinary conversation gets on stage and is Doing Stand Up instead of trying to be funny. The more stand up I watch, the more I feel like its a weird ritual instead of people actually being funny most of the time. Its more about meeting the audiences expectations than what its purported to be, or how its romanticized.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Bundt Cake posted:

I think a lot of people who are funny or want to be funny do stand up even if it doesn't fit their strengths. So someone whose really funny in an ordinary conversation gets on stage and is Doing Stand Up instead of trying to be funny. The more stand up I watch, the more I feel like its a weird ritual instead of people actually being funny most of the time. Its more about meeting the audiences expectations than what its purported to be, or how its romanticized.

Oh god I just realized I forgot the best example of hilarious person whose stand up is honestly not good: Scott Auckerman.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Writing material and performing it are two different things, and there are multiple styles of performance as well

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

detectivemonkey posted:

Oh god I just realized I forgot the best example of hilarious person whose stand up is honestly not good: Scott Auckerman.

Scott's stand up is funny, it's just as actively weird and off the rails as he is.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Politicalrancor posted:

Scott's stand up is funny, it's just as actively weird and off the rails as he is.

Do you have any links to more recent stuff? I'm going by the only set I've really heard (obviously he found his way in other mediums) which is on my favorite album.

E: I tried to find a YouTube (or anything) clip of it but couldn't so now I'm just hoping you magically have that album? If not PM me.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
I liked Scott's set on that album. :colbert:

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

detectivemonkey posted:

Do you have any links to more recent stuff? I'm going by the only set I've really heard (obviously he found his way in other mediums) which is on my favorite album.

E: I tried to find a YouTube (or anything) clip of it but couldn't so now I'm just hoping you magically have that album? If not PM me.

Sorry, its just from seeing him. Granted this is pre-comedy bang bang tours.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

ibntumart posted:

I liked Scott's set on that album. :colbert:

He could be so much better! I re-listened to the album today and man, Bob's Burgers has made listening to Dan Mintz ...interesting.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Oh, I agree. He did a great job on the standup portion of the CBB tour. But I still crack up at the extreme health PSA bit on the CDR album whenever I listen to it.

That reminds me: did Mindy Kaling ever do any other stand-up? Apart from the CDR album, I can only recall one YouTube clip I saw with her calling BJ Novak as part of a presumably longer set.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

ibntumart posted:

Oh, I agree. He did a great job on the standup portion of the CBB tour. But I still crack up at the extreme health PSA bit on the CDR album whenever I listen to it.

That reminds me: did Mindy Kaling ever do any other stand-up? Apart from the CDR album, I can only recall one YouTube clip I saw with her calling BJ Novak as part of a presumably longer set.

I've never heard anything else from her. I did enjoy her book -- it was a quick read (I think I finished it on a 3-hour flight).

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

ibntumart posted:

I don't believe so. She got hired to write on The Office from co-writing/co-starring in a comedic play.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

detectivemonkey posted:

I've never heard anything else from her. I did enjoy her book -- it was a quick read (I think I finished it on a 3-hour flight).

Her book was great. I bought the enhanced Kindle version with the audio and extra little slideshows, but I still got through it pretty quickly like you did.

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

I don't believe so. She got hired to write on The Office from co-writing/co-starring in a comedic play.

I know, which was I thought it was weird that there were any clips of her doing standup at all. I guess it was just that CDR performance and maybe some practice shows beforehand.

radlum
May 13, 2013

I liked it; I really like Kumail, from his podcast, his TV appearances and his special so this show is great for me. Jonah was...OK? I didn't like him interrupting Kumail when he was talking with the 20 year old girl, it wasn't funny. Anyway, looking forward to see more of these, if only for more Kumail and funny stand up in my life.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
With the Edinburgh comedy festival starting up soon, there's plenty of comedians in London trying out their stuff. It's a great time for comedy in London. Anyone know of any sure bets?

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

sharktamer posted:

With the Edinburgh comedy festival starting up soon, there's plenty of comedians in London trying out their stuff. It's a great time for comedy in London. Anyone know of any sure bets?

Is there a line-up posted somewhere? I found a 150 page interactive guide on the website but I gave up 10 minutes in and the only name I recognized was Neil Hamburger.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Anyone going to the Highplains Comedy Festival? I really want to buy a weekend pass, but, since moving to Denver, I'm still searching for a job and can't really justify spending $80. Still, I'll catch a handful of shows.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

There's a lovely thread in GBS about it, but in case you don't go to GBS and don't look at like... any other media, Robin Williams was found dead today of an apparent suicide by asphyxiation. His PR person said he was really struggling with his bipolar disorder as of late so it likely is related to that.

:(

Really sucks.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

The Berzerker posted:

There's a lovely thread in GBS about it, but in case you don't go to GBS and don't look at like... any other media, Robin Williams was found dead today of an apparent suicide by asphyxiation. His PR person said he was really struggling with his bipolar disorder as of late so it likely is related to that.

:(

Really sucks.

Yeah, my mom called to see if I'd heard about this and now I'm reading Twitter and trying not to cry. I don't know why this hit me so hard, but it did.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
Oh christ I just thought about that sketch on Louie. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

I'd recommend checking out World's Greatest Dad, directed by Bobcat Goldwaith, as long as a movie about suicide starring Robin Williams doesn't bum you out too much. A really great, low-energy performance by Robin that hasn't been seen by too many.

Also I mentioned this in the WTF thread, but Marc Maron is reuploading Robin's episode tonight.