Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
MUMMYMTN
May 22, 2003
How do cross-platform games (Watch Dogs, Assassins Creed 4, etc) on the Wii U tend to compare to their ps3/x360 counterparts? I've already made up my mind to get a Wii U, but it would be a nice bonus if it could replace my ps3 for cross-platform poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Random Stranger posted:

The greatest crime Sega ever committed was convincing everyone that Nintendo was for kiddies. No matter what Nintendo publishes, they can't slip that reputation.

My point being, it's been more than twenty years. I think we passed "a while" about a decade ago.

I'm pretty sure the greatest crime Sega ever committed was Sonic 06'. But that's probably a close second.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

MUMMYMTN posted:

How do cross-platform games (Watch Dogs, Assassins Creed 4, etc) on the Wii U tend to compare to their ps3/x360 counterparts? I've already made up my mind to get a Wii U, but it would be a nice bonus if it could replace my ps3 for cross-platform poo poo.

They're about the same. I got Batman Arkham Origins on Wii U and it runs and looks like total rear end though (comparing it to the PC version, I haven't played it on any other console), so don't expect anything too great from a third-party publisher.

e: that might just be WB Montreal or whoever developed it being idiot retards though (the PC version was buggy as poo poo too), so I could be wrong. That's the only third-party game I have.

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jun 18, 2014

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I'm pretty sure the only Wii U games to require the MotionPlus are Wii Fit, Wii Sports, Wii Party, and maybe Just Dance.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

DarkHamsterlord posted:

I've been playing Muramasa on the Vita lately, which I'm pretty sure is just a port of the Wii version with jump mapped to a button. I haven't finished it so my advice may be completely stupid, but I feel like it's been a good idea to forge lots and lots of swords. The way the chart is laid out actually requires you forge every blade in order to get the best sword, since all the branches of the chart combine at the bottom into one, but forging swords as I level up to keep my attack power as high as possible at all times has served me well regardless.

I recommend eating lots of food whenever you pass a tea house, even if your HP is full. I ignored them for awhile because they're almost always right next to a save point, but their real use is to fill up your spirit, so the only thing restricting your ability to forge new swords is your souls.

It's also good to use cooking to refill your health instead of normal consumables. Cooking gives you various bonuses too-- more money, more damage, more health, for a while at least.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

MUMMYMTN posted:

It varies from game to game. Sonic All Stars Racing and Rayman Legends are better ports than what other systems got. Tekken Tag 2 was a good port and had extra Nintendo costumes. No one knows on Watch_Dogs until it has been released.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Does anyone here have a spare Y USB cable I could buy or borrow forever? Really not into waiting a month to get a cheapish one just to add more space to my Wii U/vWii.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

MUMMYMTN posted:

Watch_Dogs U isn't out yet so nobody knows, but generally Wii U ports have had comparable image quality, slightly higher resolution output (ie 720p compared to 600p on 360) and have V-sync but also lower frame-rates and issues streaming textures.

Need for Speed is one notable exception that looks markedly better on Wii U than last gen consoles.

Elliotw2 posted:

I'm pretty sure the only Wii U games to require the MotionPlus are Wii Fit, Wii Sports, Wii Party, and maybe Just Dance.
Nintendo Land also.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

MUMMYMTN posted:

It depends on the game, there's some good ports (I hear NFSU, Deus Ex and the Lego games are supposedly pretty good, also Rayman Legends), some decent ones (Assassin's Creed IV) and some bad ones (I don't know; maybe, like, Mass Effect 3?), but I wouldn't count on being able to rely on the Wii U for 3rd party support. For one, unless it makes ONE HELL of a comeback, not many 3rd party games are going to get ported to the Wii U at all any more. For Assassin's Creed IV, it looks slightly nicer onm the Wii U than the Xbox360 and PS3 versions in exchange for having a slightly lower framerate; for Watch_Dogs, we don't know yet as the Wii U port hasn't come out yet, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

MUMMYMTN posted:

Depends if they put effort into the port or not. There was a picture of Assassins Creed 4 running around that showed the various versions with the WiiU having slightly better textures than the 360 version but not as good as the PS4 version. Otherwise it's a mixed bag. Injustice was the best running console version on WiiU (plus the Dpad is the best) but you didn't the last two DLC characters. Arkham Origins ran fine from what I heard but no multiplayer or DLC on that either. While on the other hand things like Need for Speed: Most Wanted U looks like the PC version with better textures and poo poo and a bunch of extra features that were pretty neat.

All in all if you're expecting a lot of 3rd party games or at least quality ports from this point onward, you probably shouldn't. Where it sits in between gens and due to it's archetecture being different than the PS4/Xbones and not having the time to get used to like the 360/PS3s the effort to port something over isn't usually seen as something that's worth it unfortunately.

thehacker0
Mar 19, 2014

Are there any games that you can play directly on the tablet controller? I seem to remember a friend showing me super mario brothers U played on the controller while watching cable on the TV.

I am planning to pick up a wii, just wondering about this since it would be awesome to be able to play mario bros or other games directly on the gamepad while sitting at my computer desk during PC game/mmo downtime.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

thehacker0 posted:

Are there any games that you can play directly on the tablet controller? I seem to remember a friend showing me super mario brothers U played on the controller while watching cable on the TV.

I am planning to pick up a wii, just wondering about this since it would be awesome to be able to play mario bros or other games directly on the gamepad while sitting at my computer desk during PC game/mmo downtime.

Pretty sure the answer is all of them.

thehacker0
Mar 19, 2014

noirstronaut posted:

Pretty sure the answer is all of them.

Really? Not sure if I was clear enough, I meant in terms of displaying the game on the gamepad instead of on the TV

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

thehacker0 posted:

Pretty much any Wii U game can be played on the tablet without a TV. You won't be able to run Wii Mode though.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

thehacker0 posted:

Most games have off TV play except Nintendoland, Zombi U, Wii Party U, Game & Wario.

ChaosArgate posted:

Pretty much any Wii U game can be played on the tablet without a TV. You won't be able to run Wii Mode though.
That isn't accurate at all. Hold down b on the gamepad when the system is booting up and you never need to turn on your TV to use Wii mode, there is a sensor bar built in to the gamepad but you still need to use a wiimote to control things.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

thehacker0 posted:

Really? Not sure if I was clear enough, I meant in terms of displaying the game on the gamepad instead of on the TV
It's not literally "all of them" in that there are some exceptions, like Nintendoland and Zombi U, but the vast majority of Wii U games do support off-TV play, i.e., playing on the gamepad alone without using the TV at all.
EDIT: For example, here's a list of some of the best games on the Wii U that also happen to support off-TV play: Super Mario 3D World, Mario Kart 8, Wind Waker HD, New Super Mario Bros U and New Super Luigi U, Rayman Legends. You can add many more to this list, as games that don't support it are the exception rather than the rule.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

thehacker0 posted:

It is a basic feature of the console.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

deafmute posted:

That isn't accurate at all. Hold down b on the gamepad when the system is booting up and you never need to turn on your TV to use Wii mode, there is a sensor bar built in to the gamepad but you still need to use a wiimote to control things.

What. :psyduck:

My point still stands because you can't use Wii mode with only the gamepad though.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

ChaosArgate posted:

Sure, you can, though it's not easy. When it prompts for the offscreen play when you switch to Wii mode you gesture vaguely into the air above where you put the bar and keep hitting A until it goes through. :v:

thehacker0
Mar 19, 2014

PrBacterio posted:

It's not literally "all of them" in that there are some exceptions, like Nintendoland and Zombi U, but the vast majority of Wii U games do support off-TV play, i.e., playing on the gamepad alone without using the TV at all.
EDIT: For example, here's a list of some of the best games on the Wii U that also happen to support off-TV play: Super Mario 3D World, Mario Kart 8, Wind Waker HD, New Super Mario Bros U and New Super Luigi U, Rayman Legends. You can add many more to this list, as games that don't support it are the exception rather than the rule.

Thanks. My bad, I thought it was much more limited than that. I was kinda on the edge about picking one up but this makes it an easy choice. I typically end up not playing consoles much because I can't be at/near my PC, but the ability to play mario/zelda or whatever at my desk sounds incredible

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The range on the gamepad is kind of short though, so depending on how far away your PC is from the Wii U and how many walls are between them it might not work/be a little sketchy.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Isn't the range like 30 feet or something? I can't go very far from my room with the gamepad before the signal cuts out.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Yeah the range is pretty short. I can play perfectly lying in bed in the same room as the wii but if I go into the next room ever I get some input lag and frame drops. Still, I love the offscreen play. I probably play Mario Kart on the tablet by itself then I do on my tv.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

ChaosArgate posted:

What. :psyduck:

My point still stands because you can't use Wii mode with only the gamepad though.

You can, and it's easy; it actually prompts you to select if you want to or not. You can't use the Gamepad as a controller, though.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Beeftweeter posted:

You can, and it's easy; it actually prompts you to select if you want to or not. You can't use the Gamepad as a controller, though.

What I'm saying is you cannot do anything in Wii mode if all you have is a gamepad. You can look at the Health and Warnings screen and the menu, but unless you have a Wiimote, you can't do anything.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Beeftweeter posted:

So, you can't actually use it with only the gamepad because using a second controller (and a stand for that matter) means you're not only using the gamepad

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

ChaosArgate posted:

Isn't the range like 30 feet or something? I can't go very far from my room with the gamepad before the signal cuts out.
Yeah and any kind of obstruction cuts it way down. The head of my bed is like 15 feet away through one and a half walls and its playable but kind of choppy. It doesn't work at all at the foot of my bed.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I like how we spent multiple posts saying how we can't use only the Gamepad in the vWii.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

ChaosArgate posted:

What I'm saying is you cannot do anything in Wii mode if all you have is a gamepad. You can look at the Health and Warnings screen and the menu, but unless you have a Wiimote, you can't do anything.

Oh, I get what you're saying now. Yeah, that's true and it's kinda lovely considering all of the devices are Bluetooth anyway. I don't see why Nintendo couldn't have patched in support for the Wii U controllers on a technical level, but hey, it's Nintendo.

how is great

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Beeftweeter posted:

Oh, I get what you're saying now. Yeah, that's true and it's kinda lovely considering all of the devices are Bluetooth anyway. I don't see why Nintendo couldn't have patched in support for the Wii U controllers on a technical level, but hey, it's Nintendo.

The gamepad is actually different because it's using a wi-fi signal to connect instead of bluetooth, I believe.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
There's a concrete ceiling between my room and the Wii U, so usually I have to lay face down on the edge of the bed, the controller pointing at the floor/ceiling to work properly. It's actually comfy, but just a tiny bit more range would let me simply play while laying on my bed.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

ChaosArgate posted:

The gamepad is actually different because it's using a wi-fi signal to connect instead of bluetooth, I believe.

No, it only uses a (modified) Wi-Fi signal for the Gamepad's video. It still pairs and communicates input over Bluetooth.

e:

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

There's a concrete ceiling between my room and the Wii U, so usually I have to lay face down on the edge of the bed, the controller pointing at the floor/ceiling to work properly. It's actually comfy, but just a tiny bit more range would let me simply play while laying on my bed.

What's really weird is that it theoretically wouldn't be hard for Nintendo or some other third party to make a repeater for the Gamepad signal. You might introduce some latency that way (and maybe Nintendo tried it and deemed it unacceptable), but it's still definitely possible since the signal is essentially just 5 GHz 802.11n.

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jun 18, 2014

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The gamepad cuts off based on latency. If its too high it stops, so a repeater would not work.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

greatn posted:

The gamepad cuts off based on latency. If its too high it stops, so a repeater would not work.

Yeah, I think Nintendo said this a while back too. Basically as soon as there's any noticeable lag between the pad and the TV it shuts down.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

thehacker0 posted:

Thanks. My bad, I thought it was much more limited than that. I was kinda on the edge about picking one up but this makes it an easy choice. I typically end up not playing consoles much because I can't be at/near my PC, but the ability to play mario/zelda or whatever at my desk sounds incredible

Here's a complete list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Off-TV_Play

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So right now i'm running a wireless connection to my Wii U and it's kind of annoying, what exactly is it asking me to connect to use a wired connection? The little thing you had to use for the Wii's online?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So right now i'm running a wireless connection to my Wii U and it's kind of annoying, what exactly is it asking me to connect to use a wired connection? The little thing you had to use for the Wii's online?

Yeah, a usb ethernet dongle. They are like $10 on Amazon or Newegg.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

greatn posted:

Unless it's a really tiny window, it possibly could. I actually have a 5 GHz 802.11 repeater set up here and the latency is pretty low:

$ ping 10.0.1.1
PING 10.0.1.1 (10.0.1.1): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: seq=0 ttl=64 time=1.942 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: seq=1 ttl=64 time=1.976 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: seq=2 ttl=64 time=2.454 ms
64 bytes from 10.0.1.1: seq=3 ttl=64 time=1.893 ms

--- 10.0.1.1 ping statistics ---
4 packets transmitted, 4 packets received, 0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max = 1.893/2.066/2.454 ms

e: That's with it halving it's bandwidth too, since it also serves as a router. I guess if it's fully saturated with video (possible, but unlikely since it's compressed and the Gamepad's resolution is pretty low) it might be quite a bit higher though.

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jun 18, 2014

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

GreenNight posted:

Yeah, a usb ethernet dongle. They are like $10 on Amazon or Newegg.

Make sure you get one that actually works with the Wii U. Check the reviews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
So an update from Canada. I live in Burlington, ON in the GTA and tried to get Target to give me the 150$ deal. Spoke with the store manager and the best he would do for me was 75$ off. Went to Walmart and as soon as they heard the words Wii U and Target they were like "yeah we aren't getting scammed again. Not happening." So you basically need to find a store manager who really doesn't care or who is generously ignorant of what's going on.

• Locked thread