Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Did dark change meanings to be a synonym for hilarious when I wasn't looking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God

Veyrall posted:

So, a while ago, someone was posting art from cards that they thought was really horrific or disturbing. Well, I just found a new one.

That is Sensation Gorger and I never realized Morningtide had such dark things in it.

He did do that to himself. Dude just wants to get maximum sensation by using all of his senses. Personally I think it's pretty funny. Taste the hell outta that frog.

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?

Veyrall posted:

So, a while ago, someone was posting art from cards that they thought was really horrific or disturbing. Well, I just found a new one.

That is Sensation Gorger and I never realized Morningtide had such dark things in it.

He's doing it to himself on purpose though so it's okay.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Veyrall posted:

I just realized that the black and white thing on his head is a skunk laying directly on his nose. I thought it was just part of the creature design.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Zorak posted:

Illusory Angel in Modern could be a thing with Pod and Vial.

Pod could already be podding into Skaab Ruinator at CMC3. Pod doesn't like undercosted beaters, it likes obnoxious abilities.

Vial would generally rather get Serra Avenger, unless it's somehow not in a white deck.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Chorocojo posted:

He did do that to himself. Dude just wants to get maximum sensation by using all of his senses. Personally I think it's pretty funny. Taste the hell outta that frog.
Man, I love Lorwyn's RB much more than Rakdos RB. These guys just want to experience everything.

Flavor text for Exiled Boggart: Among the boggarts, there is only one real rule: all new treasures and experiences must be shared. Those who hoard their gifts commit the one truly unforgivable sin.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

whydirt posted:

I could definitely see Khans block using war and sieges as the inspiration for bottom-up mechanics with lots of equipment and maybe even fortifications for real. Equipment works really well with tokens, so laying the groundwork in M15 with convoke and supporting cards makes sense.

If true, expect a lot of artifact hate, because Wizards hates land destruction.

Unless they print stuff like "Destroy target fortification and the land it equips".

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Good equipment would break Prophetic Flamespeaker in half. So naturally I'm hoping for it. :getin:

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Considering that the Khans were nomadic, fortifications would make sense for their enemies.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Angry Grimace posted:

Good equipment would break Prophetic Flamespeaker in half. So naturally I'm hoping for it. :getin:

I mean, if that's the kind of deck you wanna build, isn't Godsend good enough?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

qbert posted:

No, because Godsend isn't "good" equipment. I'm talking like Swords quality.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

qbert posted:

If this is actually a thing, I suspect you want an equipped flamespeaker attacking on turn 4 and godsend doesn't let you do that.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
The revenge of the return of Horsemanship. :getin:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

qbert posted:

Godsend would functionally not be much better than a Greatsword with Flamespeaker.

Godsend is not actually very good.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

I think we're all going to be waiting a while for them to pop up.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
They made equipment way too good until Scars block, and they've been nerfing it ever since Innistrad. I suspect Godsend is the closest thing we'll see to equipment being 'pushed' until there's another artifact-themed block.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Angry Grimace posted:

Turns out bolting two spell effects to a p/t boost to protection for 3 mana is way too loving good to get printed regularly :v:

The swords aren't 'good', they're ridiculous.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

The problem with Godsend is that for its cost it should provide some kind of protection.

Spear of Heliod is better in almost every way.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Entropic posted:

They made equipment way too good until Scars block, and they've been nerfing it ever since Innistrad. I suspect Godsend is the closest thing we'll see to equipment being 'pushed' until there's another artifact-themed block.

Sword of FaF and Butterskills were very strong cards that were made stronger by virtue of the absurd cards they shared their initial standard with (FaF continued to be a strong card postban, Batterskull was relegated to the sideboard for most decks). Stoneforge was always the thing that made them a problem.

I would also not qualify any equipment made between Scars and Kamigawa as "way too good", most of it was actually pretty bad, with Basilisk Collar being like, the closest to a standout until Scars.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Angry Grimace posted:

The problem with Godsend is that for its cost it should provide some kind of protection.

Poor flavor. Too soon?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

jscolon2.0 posted:

Poor flavor. Too soon?

I suppose Protection from White and Black would have helped a bit.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Speaking of which, I love that Godsend lets the white weenie deck attack through Blood Baron. People are always surprised that it doesn't actually target. I've eaten a few Hexproof blockers with it too.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

I suppose Protection from White and Black would have helped a bit.

But then Heliod wouldn't have been able to kill Elspeths. Poor flavor again. :v:

I like Godsend, it's a good card that needs specific shells to be especially good. That's fine by me.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Angry Grimace posted:

Aaron Forsythe came out and said the swords were too good for modern day magic and the only reason they kept them was to complete the cycle.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

UberJew posted:

The swords aren't 'good', they're ridiculous.
This is actually where constructed playable equipment usually ends up.

Fair equipment is a pretty narrow margin, though I guess Prophetic would quite fancy a Runechanter's pike.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

TheKingofSprings posted:

I would also not qualify any equipment made between Scars and Kamigawa as "way too good", most of it was actually pretty bad, with Basilisk Collar being like, the closest to a standout until Scars.

Let me tell you about Sword of the Meek. :wiggle:

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Aaron Forsythe came out and said the swords were too good for modern day magic and the only reason they kept them was to complete the cycle.

E: I did 10+ zendikar drafts and never once saw a trusty machete :(

Q != E fuuuuuuuuuu

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Bonesplitter is still top-three equipment ever printed and distorted Mirrodin draft more than any other card.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
So about how long did take from thopter foundry being printed till the combo was found?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Bugsy posted:

So about how long did take from thopter foundry being printed till the combo was found?

I would bet that the first combo people tried with Thopter Foundry was some goofy infinite mana poo poo with KCI that was about a million times worse than the Sword combo.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I finally managed to bestow on my opponent's creature for value. There's that whole uncommon cycle in JOU, but the first I've ever actually used any of them that way was in a draft today where I bestowed the "Must Block If Able" green 4/1 onto my opponent's Brain Maggot and attacked into it with a 1/1 deathtoucher to get my exiled creature back.

I like the design of that cycle, but it feel like it almost never actually makes sense to bestow them on your opponent's creatures.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Entropic posted:

I finally managed to bestow on my opponent's creature for value. There's that whole uncommon cycle in JOU, but the first I've ever actually used any of them that way was in a draft today where I bestowed the "Must Block If Able" green 4/1 onto my opponent's Brain Maggot and attacked into it with a 1/1 deathtoucher to get my exiled creature back.

I like the design of that cycle, but it feel like it almost never actually makes sense to bestow them on your opponent's creatures.

It definitely requires some proper building around and even then, it's iffy. The one I've found most useful is the blue Nautilus in an Izzet deck I put together. Instantly remove some insanely large monstrosity creatures and get a dude out of it.

But yeah, they feel more like good bonuses for your own creatures if you play them smart.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I'd like to believe that there's design space between Godsend and Sword of Fire and Ice.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

I'd like to believe that there's design space between Godsend and Sword of Fire and Ice.

Have you tried vigilance?

Also, since Prophetic Flamespeaker has double strike AND trample, he does eight damage per swing anyway. And then nets you two cards. He might as well be unblockable at that point because no one is blocking that.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Besides the whole protection-from-color thing, a key difference between Godsend and color swords is that the color swords reward you for NOT getting blocked, which is generally what you're striving for in constructed. Making your dude impossible to block profitably requires that your opponent be forced to block, which means they can't remove him or ignore the damage. It's just basically a strategically worse proposition.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

TheKingofSprings posted:

Jitte?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I think his definition of "between" doesn't mean "in"

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Mortimer posted:

I think his definition of "between" doesn't mean "in"

OK yeah, I was wondering what time period we were looking at and Jitte seemed really obvious.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Everblight posted:

Bonesplitter is still top-three equipment ever printed and distorted Mirrodin draft more than any other card.

Bonesplitter is very good and possibly the best common equipment, but no way is it top 3 best equipment ever.

Edit: Hell, after Darksteel, it was already probably number 4.

Elyv fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jun 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Everblight posted:

Dies to Manriki-Gusari.

• Locked thread