Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

SubG posted:

For mirin you might try sweetened rice vinegar, assuming rice vinegar is halal. As I understand it deliberately producing vinegar from wine is haram, but vinegar in general is okay. So an upscale rice vinegar, which is almost certainly going to be produced by a saké brewer, is probably suspect. But a grocery story brand, which is going to be vat fermented directly (and will go through the same processes but will never be an intoxicant) is presumably okay. But I'm no...whatever the halal equivalent of a mashgiach is.

And all that being said sweetened rice vinegar isn't going to really taste like mirin, but I don't know what really would. And a little extra vinegar is something that's unlikely to hurt.

Vinegar is halal. What cannot intoxicate in a great amount cannot intoxicate in a small amount, thus is not considered khamr (an intoxicant). I should add I do have rice vinegar in my cupboard.

Helith posted:

I think there are non alcoholic brands of mirin available. You might be able to track one down.
For the cooking sake you could use white grape juice and add a dash of rice vinegar maybe?

Though just buying nonalcoholic mirin might work, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010
A lot of marinades have oil in them. I feel guilty enough using marinades because so much liquid is wasted afterward.

Can anyone weigh in on whether or not the oil is important and why? Google seems full of mixed opinions.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

FaradayCage posted:

A lot of marinades have oil in them. I feel guilty enough using marinades because so much liquid is wasted afterward.

Can anyone weigh in on whether or not the oil is important and why? Google seems full of mixed opinions.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but my best guess would be that certain flavor components in herbs and spices et al are oil soluble, meaning that they impart their flavors into the oil.

However, this doesn't make a lot of sense to me in a marinade because typically one marinates meat, which is not to my knowledge something that absorbs oil under normal circumstances.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
http://www.seriouseats.com/2011/05/how-to-marinate-and-grill-flank-steaks.html

quote:

Contrary to what you may think, marinade actually does not penetrate particularly far into meat—even over the course of a few days, the bulk of the aromatic compounds in a marinade will travel mere millimeters into the meat (the exception being salt, small sugar molecules, and some acids). In reality, a marinade is mostly a surface treatment, and not much benefit lies in marinating for more than half a day or so. If you'd like the flavor of the marinade to completely coat your meat, your best bet is to reserve some marinade and simply toss your meat with it after it has been cooked and sliced.

Here are a few ingredients you should consider when constructing a marinade:

Salt is absolutely essential. It is one of the few ingredients that penetrates and seasons meat deeper than the outer surface. I like to add my salt in the form of soy sauce or fish sauce, which are also very high in glutamates, adding extra savoriness to my meat.
Sugar when used in moderation will help the meat brown better on the grill, creating strong smoky, charred flavors. A touch of sugar also balances salt nicely.
Aromatics are mainly a surface treatment, but they can still be quite powerful. Garlic, shallots, dried spices, herbs, or chilis are all good things to experiment with.
Oil is often a primary ingredient in marinades. Many aromatic compounds, such as those found in garlic, are soluble in oil but not in water. The oil will help spread these flavors evenly across the surface of the meat, as well as lubricating and protecting the meat when it first hits the grill.
Acid can balance flavors, but should be used sparingly. It can denature proteins in the meat, causing it to turn mushy over time. With very acidic marinades, it's particularly important to not overmarinade—certainly no more than half a day.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

ibntumart posted:

Sake or mirin, though, I have no idea.

For mirin, I use rice vinegar, honey and a little bit of orange juice. I've never had to sub anything for sake but I'd probably go with rice vinegar and sugar, maybe a little white grape juice if I have it.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
I've got ground beef, chicken breasts, "beef rounds," and no rice or pasta. What are some possible full meal options?

At worst I have a few bags of saffron rice.

e: I have tomatoes, zucchini, a ton of spices, some other odds and ends

e2: No beans

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jun 19, 2014

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Preface: I am not a very experienced cook and I only have a few bucks if I have to run out and get some ingredients.

I have been tasked with preparing pork chops while my girlfriend is at work. She wants me to make them in the crock pot and after they are cooked, to drain the liquid out and add this bottle of Lawry's Hawaiian marinade. This wouldn't usually be a big deal but every search I do on crock pot pork chops says to use chicken broth/stock, which I do not have on hand and would rather not dump out and waste before adding the marinade.

Will cooking the pork chops in just a little oil with water and herbs make the pork bland? I don't want straight water rinsing all the flavor out of the pork or some other poo poo I can't predict. Looking at other recipes and ignoring the requirement for chicken stock, I am planning the following:

1. Mix 1 cup water, 1/4 cup olive oil, salt, pepper, onion salt, minced garlic. (I also have thyme and parsley but I don;t know if I should use them.)

2. Trim fat/make little slices in the chops? (I saw making slits in the chops on a few of the recipes, this is another step I am not sure that I should follow.)

3. Throw that poo poo in the crock pot until right before she gets off work; 4-5 hours at least.

4. Drain water, reduce heat, add marinade.

Is this a plan for disaster or will it be edible? Hoping someone can set me straight! Thanks!

I am going to be making baked potatoes and some mixed vegetables with the chops. At least those I can handle!

Gooch181 fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jun 19, 2014

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I'm not sure how well slow cooking pork chops would work. Probably not well because they are pretty lean except for that little ring of fat on the outside. Some recipes have you slit that fat so the pork chop doesn't 'curl up' when it cooks. Slow cooking is more for a pork shoulder or butt.

I'd just toss them in a pan and give a crust on them for a few minutes per side and then throw them in the oven for 8-10 minutes, you could sauce them when you put them in the oven.

edit: are they 1" thick or thinner chops? They are very, very easy to overcook so be careful. A gray pork chop is not a happy pork chop.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch

Bob Morales posted:

I'm not sure how well slow cooking pork chops would work. Probably not well because they are pretty lean except for that little ring of fat on the outside. Some recipes have you slit that fat so the pork chop doesn't 'curl up' when it cooks. Slow cooking is more for a pork shoulder or butt.

I'd just toss them in a pan and give a crust on them for a few minutes per side and then throw them in the oven for 8-10 minutes, you could sauce them when you put them in the oven.

edit: are they 1" thick or thinner chops? They are very, very easy to overcook so be careful. A gray pork chop is not a happy pork chop.

Yes, these are pretty thin kroger-chops and I think the reason I was instructed to use the slow cooker was that my girlfriend assumes I will ruin them if I pan sear them. I can pan sear a mean steak, but I have very little experience cooking pork aside from doing pork shoulder a few times. Also, I don't have a meat thermometer so I would be eyeballing that poo poo.

What do you mean when you say that slow cooking the chops may not work out well? Will it ruin the flavor or the texture? I'm not second-guessing you, I am just curious.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Gooch181 posted:

Yes, these are pretty thin kroger-chops and I think the reason I was instructed to use the slow cooker was that my girlfriend assumes I will ruin them if I pan sear them. I can pan sear a mean steak, but I have very little experience cooking pork aside from doing pork shoulder a few times. Also, I don't have a meat thermometer so I would be eyeballing that poo poo.

What do you mean when you say that slow cooking the chops may not work out well? Will it ruin the flavor or the texture? I'm not second-guessing you, I am just curious.

Well slow cooking is just that, slow cooking. Pork chops are mostly lean so if you let it go too long in the slow cooker, you've just spent five hours overcooking a pork chop than the 15 minutes it'd take to cook it in a pan/oven.

Moral of the story is, get a meat thermometer. The thinner the chop, the easier it will be to overcook so it's a crap shoot either way. In your situation, the gamble I'd take would be with the pan, not the slow cooker. If they're that thin, you won't even need to throw them in the oven to finish them.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

CzarChasm posted:

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but my best guess would be that certain flavor components in herbs and spices et al are oil soluble, meaning that they impart their flavors into the oil.

Yep. Flavors basically are soluble in three things: water, fat, or alcohol. That's why you'll find all three in such a wide variety of sauces and whatnot.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

Gooch181 posted:

Midniter is right. Pork chops are not meant to be slow cooked and they will come out dry and mealy if you slow-cook them.

If you know how to sear a steak, you can probably do okay with these pork chops. Just salt them, throw them in a screaming smoking-hot cast iron pan, flip continuously until you develop a nice crust (probably something like 3 or 4 minutes if they're that thin) and then remove to a plate to finish carryover cooking. Let rest, sauce on top if you must, dig in.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
Anyone have a link to the old oatmeal thread? There's a little recipe for oven oatmeal I wanted to check before trying to go off memory.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006
Sake has a specific purpose in those recipes unrelated to flavour. I would suggest strained amazake (non-fermented sake) for flavour or sake 'style' cooking seasoning which is designed to be non-intoxicating (like the alcohol free mirin) for removing gameyness and helping it stay together. If you're using them both together you'll want to omit any extra sugar the recipe suggests because non-alcohol mirin/sake is basically sugar syrup.

Are fermented things (like kimchi) OK? If so you could try using a shio koji marinade, cooking it, then using a sauce without the sake, should have a similar flavour but might be more crumbly.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I'm probably gonna go against the Goon Cooking Bible, but my grampa always made us pork chops braised in onions and sauerkraut, and goddamn if that isn't delicious. I've made it myself with pork shoulder/butt, but I find it's almost too fatty to braise like that, and not just be eating an oil slick.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Casu Marzu posted:

I'm probably gonna go against the Goon Cooking Bible, but my grampa always made us pork chops braised in onions and sauerkraut, and goddamn if that isn't delicious. I've made it myself with pork shoulder/butt, but I find it's almost too fatty to braise like that, and not just be eating an oil slick.

We do pork steaks like that with onions and peppers to make fajitas...

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Casu Marzu posted:

Right, but pork chops are dry as hell, if you are going to braise them you need a ton of liquid, ie onions and kraut. I've done kraut and chops in the slow cooker before, it's a pretty effortless meal.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Vegetables question. I have noticed that I buy veggies at costco and often (recently the broccoli I got in the large bag of pre-cut broccoli) the stuff is off when I open the bag. The bag I got last time had a big brown rotted but in it, and when I bought it I made sure it had the furthest-away date, and I only opened it 3 days after I got it.

On the whole I do keep veggies a bit longer than I should but I feel with my current fridge everything just goes off way too fast. The fridge is cold enough but I must be doing something wrong. Has anyone got 'how to preserve vegetables properly' tips for me?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Have you checked the temperature of your fridge with a thermometer?

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib
I had the same problem with some of my vegetables. I started storing my broccoli and a few other vegetables directly in the fridge with no plastic bag, usually in the bottom drawer. I haven't had a problem since.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think keeping in the plastic bag may be keeping them too moist. Your crisper drawer should have the right humidity such that you do't need to keep them in the bag.

Appl
Feb 4, 2002

where da white womens at?
Pork chops are not dry as hell if you don't overcook them..

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Plus not all chops are created equal, some have more fat than others depending on the exact cut.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
When can I expect to start seeing local sweet corn in farmer's markets? I can buy some sad stuff in local stores, that I think they probably ship in from the South/Mexico, but I'd prefer better quality stuff.

I know it's a little early yet, but I have such a hankerin.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
I have two quick questions:

1. Is there a thread somewhere where I could ask for tips about cooking easy meals for the whole week that you can take to work and either eat cold or heat in a microwave? I'm about to be working full time and in grad school.

2. Is there any way to preserve California rolls (made with fake crab) so that I could eat them over the next few days, or is this something that has to be made fresh?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Poor people thread will help out there.

Don't try to preserve sushi. It doesn't end well.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
Even vegetarian sushi simply doesn't keep well--the rice dries out and becomes stiff and unpleasant to eat.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Doghouse posted:

I have two quick questions:

1. Is there a thread somewhere where I could ask for tips about cooking easy meals for the whole week that you can take to work and either eat cold or heat in a microwave? I'm about to be working full time and in grad school.

2. Is there any way to preserve California rolls (made with fake crab) so that I could eat them over the next few days, or is this something that has to be made fresh?

Poor people thread owns for this.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3442278

Recent hit from the thread that matches what you're looking for:
http://www.budgetbytes.com/2012/01/burritos-blanco/

The rest of that website is good too for that sort of thing.

Barfolemew
Dec 5, 2011

Non Serviam
Hi,

Went to Bangkok a couple months back and brought with me atleast 2-3 kilos worh of different grounded chilli powders. They have been sitting in my cupboard and are wrapped in plastic but i don't think they are airtight.

How do i keep them good? It will take me a long time to use it all.

And any ideas what to do with them. Was thinking about mixing them with oil or sea salt.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Maybe you could use it to make nam prik pao, sweet-hot Thai chili jam? Note: not the starch-thickened sauce you get with spring rolls.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Barfolemew posted:

Went to Bangkok a couple months back and brought with me atleast 2-3 kilos worh of different grounded chilli powders. They have been sitting in my cupboard and are wrapped in plastic but i don't think they are airtight.

How do i keep them good? It will take me a long time to use it all.
Delitainers. If you've got more than'll fit in a delitainer, use two delitainers. If you've got more than'll fit in two delitainers, use a Cambro.

I guess you could bag all that poo poo up in ziplocks like you're one loco loving drug mule or something, but that seems like it might be asking for a sitcom-like accident in the pantry.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I was going to make some beans soon, and I was thinking of putting some anchovies in since they're supposed to add a savory taste to foods. I've never used them before, how fishy are they? Would adding in a few fillets give a detectable fishiness? I'm going to pressure cook the beans, so I was just going to add in the fillets when I add the water and cook the whole thing. I usually add in a piece of kombu as well, so I'll probably do both.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Anchovies would give you more of an umami/rich/salty dimension; it's not OMG FISH PONG.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010
I'm going to try making Chiles en Nogada in a few days with some of my friends. Primarily because I have NO idea how it's going to taste so it will be an adventure.

Does the dish usually hold up by itself for a dinner? Is there an appropriate side dish or other course to complement it?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Eeyo posted:

I was going to make some beans soon, and I was thinking of putting some anchovies in since they're supposed to add a savory taste to foods. I've never used them before, how fishy are they? Would adding in a few fillets give a detectable fishiness? I'm going to pressure cook the beans, so I was just going to add in the fillets when I add the water and cook the whole thing. I usually add in a piece of kombu as well, so I'll probably do both.

If you're shooting for savory > umami, fish sauce might be a better addition and you can toss in a bit as you go and after to see how it goes.

If you've never used anchovies before they are awesome, but definitely a potent taste that some dislike. Maybe take a cup of cooked beans and mash some anchovy up and stir in to try it 1st?

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
I took a completely frozen lamb roast out yesterday afternoon and promptly forgot about it. Its been out for about 24 hours and my apartment has maybe gotten to 62* at any given point. Should I bother cooking it or chuck it? It doesnt smell like anything at all and I never cook lamb :ohdear:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

ladyweapon posted:

I took a completely frozen lamb roast out yesterday afternoon and promptly forgot about it. Its been out for about 24 hours and my apartment has maybe gotten to 62* at any given point. Should I bother cooking it or chuck it? It doesnt smell like anything at all and I never cook lamb :ohdear:

Safety says throw it away, but gently caress it, I'd still eat it.

Just eat it. Eat it. I'm still alive and I've done worse on a weekly basis.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Hey - general question that I hope hasn't been addressed earlier -

We got a sausage maker attachment for the KitchenAid this winter, and have made 3 or 4 batches of sausage so far - it's pretty tasty, and I really like the whole 'knowing wtf is in there' aspect. I've not branched out into any of the cured or dried or smoked ones, just raw, for freezing or immediate use types. (I do plan to, though!)

Frustrated with the grinder attachment though with this thing, however - on one hand, if it struggles, the Internet tells me the meat might not be cold enough, the meat might have too much connective tissue, or I might have too big of chunks. However, I really have to wonder if it's just this thing being anemic, because it's being made to do something maybe it wasn't supposed to do... I'm trying hard to control those factors, and it still struggles.

Has anyone used this? Am I being stupid and it's a perfectly good grinder, or is it anemic? I've been thinking about getting either a hand grinder (because I like the idea of nearly nothing that can break, burn out, and it's not tied to where in the kitchen has a handy outlet) - or a stand alone sausage grinder. There are a ton of brands though, and I don't know any of them for what might be a good fit for a 'make sausage maybe once a month, not professional butcher' level person. Any recommendations?

(Manual one I was looking at: http://www.webstaurantstore.com/weston-36-1001-w-10-deluxe-heavy-duty-manual-meat-grinder/943361001W.html

Sort of connected - there is weird black/grey grease that mixes with the meat initially. THE INTERNET tells me this may be metal shavings. Other people say it's some sort of bearing grease. In either case, any meat I see with that, I pitch. The random rear end forums that came up with Google had some very self righteous bad posters, so I'm not really sure what to believe.

Arkhamina fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jun 23, 2014

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Does anyone have a go to Jayook Bokum recipe? There's a Korean deli near the office and I want to be able to recreate their pork on demand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
I'm soaking some dry beans for the first time ever but I guess I never thought about how you know when they're ready? My beans are kind of squishy now, will the soften fully when cooked? Or do I have to wait longer? I know some beans never soften up because they're just too old, but is it possible for beans to soak too long? I just...never learned about beans somehow. Help.