Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Image is dark but I can still make out the ST badge.
Good job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

blk posted:

I'm confused by this. Does a rear door really provide more rigidity and side impact protection than a doorless rear quarter? I would think that side impact protection would also be the same between 3 and 5 door as the location of the B pillar doesn't seem to move that much - the driver and passenger doors on most 3 door compacts aren't dramtically larger. Why fewer rattles?

They are though, and that is what causes all the other stuff

Jefinabox
Jun 26, 2007

Pulling Teeth posted:

Are there any other French hot hatch enthusiasts here?

Hello! I have a 172 cup and my girlfriend drives a full fat 182. There's something about Renaultsport cars that's just so much fun. Terrible build quality but cheap enough to justify it.

We might be swapping the 182 for a megane sometime, how do you like yours?

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Pulling Teeth posted:

Are there any other French hot hatch enthusiasts here? That is, people who like to go fast around corners on the way to their mechanic? This one is mine:

Renaultsport Megane 225 Cup

I've got a Peugeot 205 GTI. I've owned it since 2004 and have swapped the engine for a 160hp 16V from a Citroen BX, plus a nice leather interior from a limited edition 309.

It's off the road at the moment. I tried to tidy up the engine wiring (it was a real mess after the engine swap), but 25 year old French wiring that's been roasting away in the engine bay is rather brittle, so I ended up having to make a complete new engine loom from scratch.

Pulling Teeth
Jan 13, 2008
My Cadillac got that bass

Jefinabox posted:

Hello! I have a 172 cup and my girlfriend drives a full fat 182. There's something about Renaultsport cars that's just so much fun. Terrible build quality but cheap enough to justify it.

We might be swapping the 182 for a megane sometime, how do you like yours?

I love mine - I like the strange styling and the F4RT engine is fantastic. If you're going for a Megane II (like mine), try to get either a Phase II or a Phase I Cup - the Phase I non-Cup models came out with average suspension set ups that really hamper the car. The Cup models have MUCH stiffer suspension especially in the rear, which of course reduces ride quality but massively increases everything the car is supposed to do. Before I bought mine I drove a Phase I non-Cup and although it was nice enough, it felt like driving an overpowered Mazda 3 or something. The Cup is completely different.

Sweevo posted:

I've got a Peugeot 205 GTI. I've owned it since 2004 and have swapped the engine for a 160hp 16V from a Citroen BX, plus a nice leather interior from a limited edition 309.

It's off the road at the moment. I tried to tidy up the engine wiring (it was a real mess after the engine swap), but 25 year old French wiring that's been roasting away in the engine bay is rather brittle, so I ended up having to make a complete new engine loom from scratch.

Love to see pics of this. I've never driven a Pug GTI but always wanted to.

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006

Pulling Teeth posted:

Are there any other French hot hatch enthusiasts here? That is, people who like to go fast around corners on the way to their mechanic? This one is mine:

Renaultsport Megane 225 Cup

I read somewhere that Renault doesn't sell in the US, is that the case?

I had a 205 GTI 1.9 before my Fiesta ST, it was a great drive but a total basket case unfortunately

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Pulling Teeth posted:

I love mine - I like the strange styling and the F4RT engine is fantastic. If you're going for a Megane II (like mine), try to get either a Phase II or a Phase I Cup - the Phase I non-Cup models came out with average suspension set ups that really hamper the car. The Cup models have MUCH stiffer suspension especially in the rear, which of course reduces ride quality but massively increases everything the car is supposed to do. Before I bought mine I drove a Phase I non-Cup and although it was nice enough, it felt like driving an overpowered Mazda 3 or something. The Cup is completely different.

Love to see pics of this. I've never driven a Pug GTI but always wanted to.

Is this a real thing? Did you make that up?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

veedubfreak posted:

Is this a real thing? Did you make that up?

No, it's the actual designation for Renault's 2.0L turbo 4-cylinder.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renault_F-Type_engine#F4x

:mmmhmm:

Mistayke
May 7, 2003

Pulling Teeth posted:

I read somewhere that Renault doesn't sell in the US, is that the case?

Renault WAS sold in the U.S. for a time way back in the 70's I believe. The "Le Car". It was a total piece of poo poo. The Yugo would have been an upgrade to it.

I guess lack of sales made them pull out of North America and they never came back.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Just saw my first commercial for the MK7 GTI when I was at lunch. Woooooooo, gimme my R already!

Normal Person
Oct 14, 2011

veedubfreak posted:

Just saw my first commercial for the MK7 GTI when I was at lunch. Woooooooo, gimme my R already!

True story: before I bought my ST, I was quoted a $6000 premium on an Mk7 GTI Autobahn. With options, this puts the car around $37k. For a GTI. I couldn't walk out of the dealership fast enough.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Normal Person posted:

True story: before I bought my ST, I was quoted a $6000 premium on an Mk7 GTI Autobahn. With options, this puts the car around $37k. For a GTI. I couldn't walk out of the dealership fast enough.

This is what I'm worrying about. Too much buzz about this car. They are going to be selling it at or above MSRP. I want no part of a GTI that's north of $30k. The options I want put a GTI at about $31.

I'll be holding on to my 04' SI for at least one more year it looks like.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

Mistayke posted:

I guess lack of sales made them pull out of North America and they never came back.

Wrong.

Renault is still sold in Mexico to this day.

I helped my uncle rebuild a Renault station wagon about 10 years ago. It only had 3 lug nuts per wheel, factory.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

I just want to say I love my Veloster Turbo, its astounding how much power you can get out of such a small engine these days. 201hp on a 1.6litre engine seems insane to me.

I think its a blast to drive, but I'd like to stiffen the suspension a little bit on it.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

tijag posted:

This is what I'm worrying about. Too much buzz about this car. They are going to be selling it at or above MSRP. I want no part of a GTI that's north of $30k. The options I want put a GTI at about $31.

I'll be holding on to my 04' SI for at least one more year it looks like.

Thats usually the case for the first 6 months or so, then it'll drop. Unless it was something very low production like a Boss 302 Laguna Seca, the price will go down.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer
I'm generally not a VW fan, but being in Hong Kong the past couple days and seeing the new Scirocco in the flesh, I have no idea why they aren't bringing it to the US. It gorgeous, intimidating, sleek, and I want one. That thing would sell like hotcakes.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

BoostCreep posted:

I'm generally not a VW fan, but being in Hong Kong the past couple days and seeing the new Scirocco in the flesh, I have no idea why they aren't bringing it to the US. It gorgeous, intimidating, sleek, and I want one. That thing would sell like hotcakes.

Cannibalize GTI sales.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Gunktacular posted:

I just want to say I love my Veloster Turbo, its astounding how much power you can get out of such a small engine these days. 201hp on a 1.6litre engine seems insane to me.

I think its a blast to drive, but I'd like to stiffen the suspension a little bit on it.

I hear the euro one gets a firmer suspension, but for a daily the softer suspension isn't bad, especially on pot hole riddled roads.

My other gripe with it are the terrible oem kumho solus tires. I thought I could withstand keeping them on until they wear out but nope, already have a new set of sticky summer's on order.

Oh, and post pictures!

Here's mine in all it's unreliable glory

Bajaha fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jun 19, 2014

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

BoostCreep posted:

Federalization and the fact that it would be quite expensive are the rationales I have heard.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Because americans are fat lazy fucksticks that only buy giant suvs. VW can barely sell enough Golf/GTI hatchbacks to make it worth their time. Why do you think most of their ads are pushing the bigger cars.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

The profit margins on larger vehicles are also much higher. Ford can make 8 to 10 thousand when they sell a truck or Expedition. A new Focus or Fiesta probably makes them around 1000. It makes sense to push the higher margin vehicles when advertising.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

skipdogg posted:

The profit margins on larger vehicles are also much higher. Ford can make 8 to 10 thousand when they sell a truck or Expedition. A new Focus or Fiesta probably makes them around 1000. It makes sense to push the higher margin vehicles when advertising.

Small cars exist in the US solely to push up fuel mileage numbers so that CARB can furiously masturbate that they are saving the world.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

veedubfreak posted:

Small cars exist in the US solely to push up fuel mileage numbers so that CARB can furiously masturbate that they are saving the world.

Then thank goodness for CARB, yet another regulatory system that only has to exist because Americans are idiot children.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

veedubfreak posted:

Except CAFE was an Act of Congress in 1975, and CARB is a California state regulatory and standards policy agency that has been adopted by other states for various reasons.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Mistayke posted:

Renault WAS sold in the U.S. for a time way back in the 70's I believe. The "Le Car". It was a total piece of poo poo. The Yugo would have been an upgrade to it.

The US got the Renault 9 and 11 too.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renault_Alliance

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Also some people want small cars and buy them in quantities sufficient to justify their production (unlike, say, the diesel wagon fans.) And did so before CAFE, for that matter.

CAFE did more to eliminate classes (mainstream wagons, small pickups) than create new or stimulate existing ones, with the glaring exception of the CUV.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Bajaha posted:

I hear the euro one gets a firmer suspension, but for a daily the softer suspension isn't bad, especially on pot hole riddled roads.

My other gripe with it are the terrible oem kumho solus tires. I thought I could withstand keeping them on until they wear out but nope, already have a new set of sticky summer's on order.

Oh, and post pictures!

Here's mine in all it's unreliable glory

Looks good in blue! I've got the red one.

Have you tried disconnecting your upper clutch lever sensor? It really improves shift feel if you're not terrible at driving stick, and it gets rid of that super annoying indicator on the HUD that tells you to upshift.

Pictured: My 2013 Turbo Veloster

Serjeant Buzfuz fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jun 19, 2014

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I've tried it, I haven't noticed a huge difference in shifts other than it being more burbly on the way down (sounds so nice) and jerky if you just want to let off throttle to coast in gear, no rev hang when throwing it in neutral is nice too. No cruise makes it a no go for me though, and I don't mind the shift indicator too much, never really bugged me. A lot of the other benefits seem to be more placebo, but the chatty exhaust makes it worth it.

Was planning on wiring in a cut off switch and labeling it "sport" for fun but I haven't gotten around to that yet. (Main project demands the time and this one is supposed to be the no-touching-this daily driver anyway) Want to keep as close to stock or easily reversible so I want to make a little extension for the clutch switch and have my cut off wired into that extension so that no oem wiring gets touched.

Red is pretty good colour for them too, honestly I loved the vitamin c one when I saw pictures online and the brochure, but seeing it in person... well, it really photographs a lot better than it looks.

One more for the road:

Weirdly enough for past month, every single day a drat bird has poo poo on the car. Every. Single. Day. Small birds to big geese, I think they hate the colour, or the car in general, happens all over town. It's supposed to mean good luck, but god drat, it's annoying coming out every day with a microfiber to clean the bird crap off.

Bajaha fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jun 19, 2014

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Fix that hood gap!

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Bajaha posted:

I've tried it, I haven't noticed a huge difference in shifts other than it being more burbly on the way down (sounds so nice) and jerky if you just want to let off throttle to coast in gear, no rev hang when throwing it in neutral is nice too. No cruise makes it a no go for me though, and I don't mind the shift indicator too much, never really bugged me. A lot of the other benefits seem to be more placebo, but the chatty exhaust makes it worth it.

Was planning on wiring in a cut off switch and labeling it "sport" for fun but I haven't gotten around to that yet. (Main project demands the time and this one is supposed to be the no-touching-this daily driver anyway) Want to keep as close to stock or easily reversible so I want to make a little extension for the clutch switch and have my cut off wired into that extension so that no oem wiring gets touched.

Red is pretty good colour for them too, honestly I loved the vitamin c one when I saw pictures online and the brochure, but seeing it in person... well, it really photographs a lot better than it looks.

One more for the road:

Weirdly enough for past month, every single day a drat bird has poo poo on the car. Every. Single. Day. Small birds to big geese, I think they hate the colour, or the car in general, happens all over town. It's supposed to mean good luck, but god drat, it's annoying coming out every day with a microfiber to clean the bird crap off.

How do you keep your wheels so clean? I think I need to find a better method.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Once you get them really clean, and I mean sparkling, give them a good coat of wax. I've been using nanoskin hydrophobic wax as a cheaper wheel wax or for when I feel lazy and just do the whole car with it. Helps a lot next time you clean them.

Are you having brake dust issues or just general dust and dirt?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

veedubfreak posted:

Because americans are fat lazy fucksticks that only buy giant suvs. VW can barely sell enough Golf/GTI hatchbacks to make it worth their time. Why do you think most of their ads are pushing the bigger cars.

It's true.

My rental is a Dodge Charger or something, it feels like driving around a godamn 737.

Mind you it's actually not half bad on gas.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

veedubfreak posted:

Supposedly in Australia 1 out of 4 Golfs sold are GTIs. Australians love their hot hatches and sporty family cars (1 in 3 Commodores sold are V8 models)

Normal Person
Oct 14, 2011

MetaJew posted:

Fix that hood gap!

No thanks, that's the way it's supposed to be!

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Anyone have tips for cleaning Fiesta ST rados? At least twice, with two different very soft clothes, I have gotten a bit of dust trapped and scratched the clear coat of the rim.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Wheeee posted:

Then thank goodness for CARB, yet another regulatory system that only has to exist because Americans are idiot children.

Yeah, it's really terrible just how staggering emissions have been reduced in the past 40 years due to CARB and the EPA. :rolleyes:

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

Dr.Caligari posted:

Anyone have tips for cleaning Fiesta ST rados? At least twice, with two different very soft clothes, I have gotten a bit of dust trapped and scratched the clear coat of the rim.

No advice, but my FOSTs wheels look dirty if I dint hands detail them weekly. In 200 miles they look like they've never been cleaned.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Gunktacular posted:

Have you tried disconnecting your upper clutch lever sensor?

Actually, this reminds me, have done the BPV to BOV mod? It feels so wrong coming from MAF based cars with the Subaru, but since the Veloster is MAP based, this kind of intake crap is a-ok.

It sounds pretty nice if you like the little choo-choo turbo noises, and it's not obnoxious on the outside or crazy loud, just a little extra noise to enjoy. Dead simple and cheap too, even more-so in the states. Just grab a rubber cap of appropriate size from Oriely's or wherever for ~$5 to block off the inlet on the intake and zip tie the BPV hose right beside it so it doesn't flop around the engine bay.

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

howling_mad posted:

No advice, but my FOSTs wheels look dirty if I dint hands detail them weekly. In 200 miles they look like they've never been cleaned.

Yea, I got tired of that within a month and plasti dipped em black.
Haven't found anything that really keeps the screen clean, fingerprint magnet no matter what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Bajaha posted:

Actually, this reminds me, have done the BPV to BOV mod? It feels so wrong coming from MAF based cars with the Subaru, but since the Veloster is MAP based, this kind of intake crap is a-ok.

It sounds pretty nice if you like the little choo-choo turbo noises, and it's not obnoxious on the outside or crazy loud, just a little extra noise to enjoy. Dead simple and cheap too, even more-so in the states. Just grab a rubber cap of appropriate size from Oriely's or wherever for ~$5 to block off the inlet on the intake and zip tie the BPV hose right beside it so it doesn't flop around the engine bay.

I have done it and I love the sound, its not over the top loud in my opinion.