Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

You're right, I should have just said "people in this thread."

There are goons that know a lot about that poo poo, but they don't post in this thread. There's one or two that do but they keep their posts super neutral and aren't regular posters in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Did famous doofus :toxx: yet or is he a big smelly baby?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Fame Douglas posted:

Guess goons don't like facing reality, that's why they cling so desperately to their phantasy worlds where Nintendo is still relevant?

Woah dude Phantasy is Sega not Nintendo.

You're crossing the beams.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

You're right, I should have just said "people in this thread."

There are goons that know a lot about that poo poo, but they don't post in this thread. There's one or two that do but they keep their posts super neutral and aren't regular posters in it.

You're totally making a compelling argument, here. All the facts!

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

You have yet to explain these "market realities" that you mentioned previously.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

You have yet to explain these "market realities" that you mentioned previously.

The Wii U isn't selling.

I just did.

Crap
Nov 3, 2012

where the dick pic at fame?

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Fame Douglas posted:

The Wii U isn't selling.

I just did.

"Market realities" implies more factors than "[thing] isn't selling [company] sucks :hurr:".

Please explain the research and analysis that you've done to come to your conclusion that Nintendo's dissolution is imminent.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Heare's a market reality: The Wii U is fun and the best console and GOTY Pushmo World is out in just a few hours. Games to all

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Quest For Glory II posted:

Heare's a market reality: The Wii U is fun and the best console and GOTY Pushmo World is out in just a few hours. Games to all

Do eShop games go up at midnight PDT?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Bigger releases do, but I wouldn't be surprised if this went up closer to noon. I don't think the NES Remix games went up at midnight.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Do eShop games go up at midnight PDT?
Some games do. I actually don't know if Pushmo World will because it's not a retail release.

zen death robot posted:

Here's a market reality: your posting is poo poo and analysts predictions are that it's not gonna get any better in FY2015
I'm gonna check with Michael Pachter about this

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

The Wii U can have a lot of fun games and not actually be successful

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

You know who's successful, Lebron James and the Yankees, but if I was a Yankees or Heat fan I'd kill myself

TheEggsBenedict
Jan 4, 2013

if i go crazy then
will you still
call me superman
Pretty much

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

zen death robot posted:

Unless you're heavily invested in Nintendo stock or work there, then why give a gently caress about it?

Yeah really there's no reason to really care or shame in owning a system that underperformed.

The only thing to care about would be if the system is in jeopardy and there's this big awesome release on the horizon(Xenoblade 2) that could have been canceled.

But since that's not the case that only means it's probably going to get worse before it gets better so you better buy all consoles and have a game PC just to be safe.

I've got a Sega Saturn just to play Sakura Wars and Panzer Dragoon Saga.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I can't have any fun unless more people are having fun with that thing than anything else. I self-identify as a "gamer"

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

zen death robot posted:

Unless you're heavily invested in Nintendo stock or work there, then why give a gently caress about it?

Because I'd prefer to see Nintendo continue to create great, fun games rather than die of bankruptcy. I now own a Wii U and have a lot of fun with it! But it's not going to last forever.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Suspicious Dish posted:

Because I'd prefer to see Nintendo continue to create great, fun games rather than die of bankruptcy. I now own a Wii U and have a lot of fun with it! But it's not going to last forever.

To be entirely honest the Wii-U is probably not going to explode with success unless NOA is given autonomy from NOJ. Every time a system has done well in America it was because the American division was given the OK to do what they want. Nintendo Power would have never been a thing if it was up to NOJ in the early days.

Same thing happened with Sega, the American Division ran poo poo fine up until the end of the Genesis when their Japanese branch took over the reigns from everything past the 32X to the Dreamcast.

Sony's Japanese branch did the launch of the PS3 which was poo poo and ruined the system for the first few years until the American Branch designed the PSN and all the Online things and offers and was given control on game releases. That's why they got things like Tokyo Jungle and Project Diva in America. And they also started the deal with giving free games every month.

Microsoft is still a thing because they're primarily focused on delivering to American consumers ever since the first X-Box.

Although the new Wii-U commercials may have been all done and approved by the NOA by a technicality, since E3 was a big focus compared to other years. So it really does show that even relinquishing the slightest amount of control over NOA has them deliver good things.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jun 19, 2014

Gothmog
Aug 27, 2003

I'm a mental patient. I'm supposed to act out.

The Taint Reaper posted:

Microsoft is still a thing because they're primarily focused on delivering to American consumers ever since the first X-Box subsidized by one of the richest companies in the world.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

The Taint Reaper posted:

To be entirely honest the Wii-U is probably not going to explode with success unless NOA is given autonomy from NOJ. Every time a system has done well in America it was because the American division was given the OK to do what they want. Nintendo Power would have never been a thing if it was up to NOJ in the early days.

Same thing happened with Sega, the American Division ran poo poo fine up until the end of the Genesis when their Japanese branch took over the reigns from everything past the 32X to the Dreamcast.

Sony's Japanese branch did the launch of the PS3 which was poo poo and ruined the system for the first few years until the American Branch designed the PSN and all the Online things and offers and was given control on game releases. That's why they got things like Tokyo Jungle and Project Diva in America. And they also started the deal with giving free games every month.

Microsoft is still a thing because they're primarily focused on delivering to American consumers ever since the first X-Box.

Although the new Wii-U commercials may have been all done and approved by the NOA by a technicality, since E3 was a big focus compared to other years. So it really does show that even relinquishing the slightest amount of control over NOA has them deliver good things.

The other reason I want the Wii U to succeed is it gives me more opportunities to trick you to make garbage posts like this!

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Suspicious Dish posted:

The other reason I want the Wii U to succeed is it gives me more opportunities to trick you to make garbage posts like this!

You fool I am the Wii-U Master, kneel before me and my massive library of 14 games.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The amibo things are going to make Nintendo profitable and people will still say they're at death's door and about to be bought out by sony or whatever.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

i drew that samus alpaca on miiverse today i hope you like it I like miiverse...........

Seriously though I wonder if SGDQ opening with Mario 3D World will pull interest, the thread over in the LP subforum is selling consoles alone, and this should be on a bigger scale right?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I dont think a speedrun marathon would sell more than a couple hundred consoles but then most online entertainment is happy to convert even 1% of their viewers into customers

TheEggsBenedict
Jan 4, 2013

if i go crazy then
will you still
call me superman

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

i drew that samus alpaca on miiverse today i hope you like it I like miiverse...........

Seriously though I wonder if SGDQ opening with Mario 3D World will pull interest, the thread over in the LP subforum is selling consoles alone, and this should be on a bigger scale right?
Yup, this will save the wii u.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I dont think a speedrun marathon would sell more than a couple hundred consoles but then most online entertainment is happy to convert even 1% of their viewers into customers

That's fair, I'm not talking about saving the wii-u really. Just wondering if there's going to be a even slightly noticeable bump from it.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

The amibo things are going to make Nintendo profitable and people will still say they're at death's door and about to be bought out by sony or whatever.

Yeah, trying to compete with Disney has such a great track record for companies, I'm sure this will lead to good things.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
If you are in any toy line you're competing with Disney.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Fulchrum posted:

Yeah, trying to compete with Disney has such a great track record for companies, I'm sure this will lead to good things.
It will because everyone from kids to people with anime figurines on their shelves will buy every single figure

I mean let's face it, amibos will go out of stock almost immediately from creepo collectors swooping in and buying them in bulk

And Nintendo can just keep making more, and they'll keep buying all of them

Think how many Pokemons there will be

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Fame Douglas posted:

So what? You guys seem unable to separate your personal feeling for these children's franchises from the market realities of Nintendo being on its way down the gutter.

I don't care about nintendos business I just like to play mario kart with my friends :shobon:

i like to play as wario

"wario always wins" - wario

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

It will because everyone from kids to people with anime figurines on their shelves will buy every single figure

I mean let's face it, amibos will go out of stock almost immediately from creepo collectors swooping in and buying them in bulk

I'm probably going to buy a lot of them.

I'm part of the problem. :negative:

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

I'm probably going to buy a lot of them.

I'm part of the problem. :negative:

yeah me too i hate myself

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

I wonder how many Amiibo figures the are going to make.

Disney Infinity only put about about 30? But Skylanders is up to the 200 range or surely will be after Trap Team I believe.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Fulchrum posted:

Aren't they going to work with Disney Infinity?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

If it ain't Minecraft, kids are not gonna give a crap. Plus, they already have their Skylanders collection - they're already invested in those, its gonna take something monumental to shift them and make them abandon their existing collection, and Waluigi isn't it. This is something that is likely to sell out to the Nintendo diehards, but WiiU sales prove there aren't many of those left.

boom boom boom posted:

...no? Its completely incompatible. Besides, I have a hard time thinking Disney would want to allow other people to make their own figurines compatible with Disneys game without giving them a piece of the action.

Fulchrum fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jun 19, 2014

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Fulchrum posted:

If it ain't Minecraft, kids are not gonna give a crap.
Pokemon.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

boom boom boom posted:

Nintendo made some sort of announcement to that effect. Giant Bomb talked to John Vignocchi, who's a producer of Infinity, and he said he heard Nintendo announce that too, but that he didn't personally know anything about what Nintendo was talking about.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

...sells to an audience who, on average, can drink legally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

Fulchrum posted:

...sells to an audience who, on average, can drink legally.

I agree with this. Also I could point out you're comparing the peak results of the Dreamcasts established hardware versus the new hardware of the Ps2, but I was talking more in terms of gameplay. The Ps2 was when games made the true transition from an attempted emulation of the console experience to a more fully realised idea of console games as an experience meant not just to amuse, but to really sink ones teeth into. Lets compare the way the two consoles approached puzzle games. The Dreamcast gives us Chu Chu Rocket - colourful, simple, cartoony. Gaming equivalent of candy. The Ps2 gives us Ico. Artistic, hauntingly beautiful, impactful in the way no game before it could have been. Gamings ambrosia.

• Locked thread