Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Oops, they all died from a magic fuel fight accident

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Phobophilia posted:

Oops, they all died from a magic fuel fight accident
Next episode focuses on acquiring magic fuel... :tinfoil:

(But don't they already have that in the form of her father's remains?)

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
In the final episode, they find out that they can get really goddamn high by smoking a dead magic emperor.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Serious Frolicking posted:

In the final episode, they find out that they can get really goddamn high by smoking a dead magic emperor.

And thus concludes the first Burning (Dad).

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie

Blhue posted:

Well now I want a Black Company anime that will never happen. Thanks.

You just made me a sad man because now I'm thinking how more black company anything would be good. Hell I even tried running the d20 game of it on here once and only got like 2 players. :smith:

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Kid Toru and Akari are adorable :3: ...:smith:

Also, Akari was always like that, apparently:v:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Because those are the first fortune cookie fortunes in the history of ever that aren't improved by adding "in bed" to the end of them.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

a kitten posted:

Because those are the first fortune cookie fortunes in the history of ever that aren't improved by adding "in bed" to the end of them.

No, I think they still work, or at least Gillette's does. Vivi's might work if you get metaphorical.

YOTC posted:

You just made me a sad man because now I'm thinking how more black company anything would be good. Hell I even tried running the d20 game of it on here once and only got like 2 players. :smith:

Well it hasn't quite been ten years since we learned A Pitiless Rain was coming. Just gotta keep hoping. :sigh:

poo poo it has been almost ten years, now I'm sad too.

Desuwa fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Jun 5, 2014

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I chuckle every time a car name sneaks into the story. The author is pretty persistent with them :v:

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I chuckle every time a car name sneaks into the story. The author is pretty persistent with them :v:

It's nowhere near as bad as all the firearm puns in Scrapped Princess. I mean, Winnia Chester, really? :rolleyes:

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
Man, they really made Toru's thing with the merchant way more TV friendly. Made it a lot shorter as well. Kind of disappointed by that. :(

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Overlord K posted:

Man, they really made Toru's thing with the merchant way more TV friendly.

How so?

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

They toned it down since it was more brutal and she had her newborn child with her at the time of the attack, which didn't exactly survive either. So it felt rather watered down to me, but it makes sense. Just wish they had dedicated more of the episode to it, in the manga in particular it really set the tone for me.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Random Shopkeeper: "Oh by the way here's the next place you need to go on your quest, just throwing it out there"

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Jackard posted:

Random Shopkeeper: "Oh by the way here's the next place you need to go on your quest, just throwing it out there"

Well the GM has to keep them on track somehow.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Jackard posted:

This made me laugh so incredibly hard, no lead up to or anything just "You're next quest should be here and you'll be able to obtain this item!"

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i have a HUGE VEINY DONG

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Avshalom posted:

i have a HUGE VEINY DONG

Fruity Gordo go back to Auspol.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Well that plan sure turned into a huge clusterfuck in a hurry.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

I don't feel good about the chances of all those abducted women :gonk:

Hopefully most of them are just being used as puppet soldiers but considering the Duke's "hobbies"...

edit: and considering the preview we may have found where our Chaikas have been coming from

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
My thinking is that the whole shenanigan is a deniable op. Layla's a stealthier Chaika sister, and it's her mind control gun. She brainwashed Duke McStabs, and Vizier McMindControl, and then set them up to take the fall if anything goes wrong.

Alternately... if the captured women are being converted into Chaikas, then...

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Oh dang, that escalated quickly.
Temporarily RIP Frederica. The real Chaika starts here :darksouls:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

:ohdear::the episode.

That is one hell of a climax this is building towards.

About the only thing that's left that in their favor is the fact that there's obviously no way Frederica is dead. She's probably going to be rather pissed off when she reappears too.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
Not really a fan of Mind Control! or Creepy Psycho Child Villains! particularly, since both are overused to the point of being annoying rather than interesting. But I'm totally down for two giant air fortresses squaring off against each other. Hopefully we get a few good scenes of that before the end of this arc, and presumably season 1.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Squidster posted:

My thinking is that the whole shenanigan is a deniable op. Layla's a stealthier Chaika sister, and it's her mind control gun. She brainwashed Duke McStabs, and Vizier McMindControl, and then set them up to take the fall if anything goes wrong.

Alternately... if the captured women are being converted into Chaikas, then...

Oh wow, you may just be onto something here. Unlimited Chaika Works

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

HiveCommander posted:

Oh wow, you may just be onto something here. Unlimited Chaika Works

This would be just fine, I only hope Toru wasn't lying about throwing every fight with Akari. This is very stressful.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Liver Disaster posted:

This would be just fine, I only hope Toru wasn't lying about throwing every fight with Akari. This is very stressful.

Even if he was, there's still a very alive and by now very angry dragon loose on the ship. FREDERICA SMASH!

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Autonomous Monster posted:

Even if he was, there's still a very alive and by now very angry dragon loose on the ship. FREDERICA SMASH!

About that...

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

This is getting a second cour right? I mean this is obviously cour 1 finale type stuff but this won't be The End will it?

Frederica noooooooo :smith:

And the THING gets even more horrifying in its second appearance! Underbelly is a gigantic mouth euuuughhh

The fighting in this show is really top notch. I just kinda wish we got more than a couple of minutes of fighting an episode. Perhaps a budget thing?

How well is this doing in Japan anyway

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
They announced a second season a while ago. Seems like it's going to reach an actual ending, instead of the standard light novel non-ending.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Oh jesus all those girls in the walls :cry:

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

ninjewtsu posted:

Frederica noooooooo :smith:

And the THING gets even more horrifying in its second appearance! Underbelly is a gigantic mouth euuuughhh

It's Muv Luv Alternative all over again...that thing even looked like a Beta

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

madmac posted:

About that...

That's got to be the most :geno: death of a main character I've seen in a long time.

It's so :geno: there's no way she's really dead. Please? :smith:

(That man spider was really well animated though. This whole episode was pretty great, actually)

How many episodes do we have left this cour, anyway? One or two?

Snow Halation
Dec 29, 2008

Just one.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

That's got to be the most :geno: death of a main character I've seen in a long time.

It's so :geno: there's no way she's really dead. Please? :smith:

(That man spider was really well animated though. This whole episode was pretty great, actually)

We see her bloody body lying on the floor in the preview, my guess is she's crippled but not dead quite yet. The question is if Akari is walking in to help her or finish her off :ohdear:

Man this show got really dark really fast.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Welp, Guy is unquestionably Gaz's ghost or servant or something, Freddie is toast as is the fate of NPC party members, and we'd better hope Vivi and Zita can hold out against Akari and Gillette against an entire army. If there's only one episode left I fear we're going to get a cliffhanger ending in preparation for the second season :ohdear:. And drat, the corpse walls. Even though I kinda figured that would be the result, it's still unpleasant.

Somehow I've gotten more invested in this drat show than any other this season. It's a hell of a dnd campaign.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Wow that got dark fast. I was expecting them to be stealing the women's memories for magic power since it was foreshadowed at the start of the arc, but not with gratuitous torture thrown in. That seems completely unnecessary and really off-tone from the rest of the show.

madmac posted:

About that...
I'm sure she's just...resting. :ohdear: Maybe she keeps her brain in her knee in human form!

Sindai fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jun 19, 2014

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Sindai posted:

Wow that got dark fast. I was expecting them to be stealing the women's memories for magic power since it was foreshadowed at the start of the arc, but not with gratuitous torture thrown in. That seems completely unnecessary and really off-tone from the rest of the show.

I hate to say it but the torture makes sense in a horrific way. If magic power is derived from memories then I would expect clearer and more vivid memories to yield more energy. What could be more vivid and deeply etched than memories of torture? Not to mention that such memories can be easily and reliably created. Ugh. :smith:

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Sindai posted:

I'm sure she's just...resting. :ohdear: Maybe she keeps her brain in her knee in human form!

The way I see it, the one slim chance Freddy has at this point is that she's been bullshitting everyone the whole season with all the "Just aim for my brain! It's so easy!" encouragement. She's enough of a troll to do it, but still...

Oh, and I recognize the new Chaika from some LN art that Crunchyroll posted early on. I'm guessing Layla is going to be the main antagonist from here on out, but probably not the final boss.

Things got really dark all of a sudden, for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The basic premise of the show is a jolly hunt for a dismembered corpse. Those undertones were always present.

• Locked thread