Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Are they sure the Lamborghini and Ferrari was arson?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Slavvy posted:

I've fitted my share of absolutely lethal chinese tyres to lovely econoboxes and I can categorically say that I'd rather have the 'good' tyres on the front. Maybe american roads are of a different surface but sticking supercats, ling-longs or blacklions on an otherwise competent FWD car makes you instantly sledge at the slightest hint of rain. I'm not meaning 'some understeer' that you can control by buttoning off, I'm meaning you enter a roundabout and the car just continues to travel at a tangent regardless of your inputs. You have to manually straighten the wheel into the slide, apply the brakes, then resume turning.

This is just wrong and you are probably responsible for a small handful of accidents already. Fresh tires go on the back, understeer is much safer than oversteer, especially for low-skill drivers.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you ever need an illustration why you want better tires in the rear, load up Forza and adjust the brake bias to 60% rear or higher.

Good luck not spinning out!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

88h88 posted:

I guess someone doesn't have insurance... That's a terrible car stuff.

Probably does but it's still a huge loss out of pocket.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Insurance companies will always get their money back.. they'll just squeeze it out of you over the years with increased rates.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Would the insurance company pay up before the culprits were caught?
They might argue the owners were attempting to commit fraud

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

freelop posted:

It wouldn't be a particularly useful service if you had to catch the responsible parties before paying out. Most of the time the criminals aren't caught, or if they are, they don't have enough money to make the claimant whole, which is exactly why we have insurance.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

smax posted:

I'm pretty sure that (1) you should put the tires with the most traction in the rear, regardless of FWD or RWD, (2) that tire showing its steel belts is a VERY bad idea to run on, and (3) that car will most likely commit a murder-suicide sometime in the near future.

I'll give him more poo poo about at least getting a used tire put on ASAP. And we'll switch the good tires to the back.

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

It's kinda nice to be able to call at least one of these people a moron somewhat directly, even if they're not the only one driving cars that will put a family of 4 in the wrong section of the newspaper.

I told him he's retarded for not taking better care of his car in general, but that the tire was seriously hosed up. The clear coat is all peeling away and there's messed up tinting on the windows that he can't see through so he drives with the windows down. He just doesn't care about the car, as long as it gets him to work and around town.

Larrymer posted:

I think you guys are overdoing it. This is probably the average used car owner that's too poor to just buy a new one every few years. :v:

At least he bought new brake pads :shobon:

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011
So what are you supposed to do when you rotate the tires? The higher traction tires are going to go to the front eventually...

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

The arson is bad, the guy was kinda douchey, but completely undeserving of arson.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Neptr posted:

So what are you supposed to do when you rotate the tires? The higher traction tires are going to go to the front eventually...

Rotate them often enough that wear is relatively even.

I think the "put the new tires on the rear wheels" advice meant is for when you're combining a worn pair of tires with a completely new pair. If you rotate your tires regularly, it won't ever be an issue.

I rotate mine front to back when I switch between my summer wheels and winter wheels, and I've only ever seen less than 1mm wear difference between front and rear.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Wasabi the J posted:

The arson is bad, the guy was kinda douchey, but completely undeserving of arson.

Yeah gently caress, the guy's a douche, but burning some property doesn't suddenly make everything okay.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

freelop posted:

Fire claims usually require a pretty in depth investigation for that reason.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

KozmoNaut posted:

Rotate them often enough that wear is relatively even.

I think the "put the new tires on the rear wheels" advice meant is for when you're combining a worn pair of tires with a completely new pair. If you rotate your tires regularly, it won't ever be an issue.

I rotate mine front to back when I switch between my summer wheels and winter wheels, and I've only ever seen less than 1mm wear difference between front and rear.

I have almost 3mm more wear on my fronts right now because the assholes put the ones that were already worn the most BACK on the front of the car after removing my snows. Gonna have to get out and rotate them again this weekend I think to get them back to being close.

Can't wait until I no longer own a fwd car. I miss drifting my bug on wet roads :)

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

Beach Bum posted:

"Hey Clark, come over here and tell me what's wrong with this picture." #240drivers

Them see through pads yo! Very hot with the kids in Japan right now.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Wasabi the J posted:

If the thread on pistonheads is to be believed, the guy's dad (who actually owns the cars) is some kind of big druglord who also at some point probably murdered a 16 year old hooker. Counterpoint: the source for that information sounds suspiciously like stormfront.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Preoptopus posted:

Them see through pads yo! Very hot with the kids in Japan right now.

My buddy was hella ahead of the curve then, I took that picture nearly two years ago :v:

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
"I hit a big pothole and now my car pulls and I think I smell gas leaking."

:cripes: :suicide:

Billy Zane
Jun 24, 2003

Listen to your friend Billy Zane. He's a cool dude.
Saw this on my way home from work today.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

freelop posted:

"Suddenly my whole fleet is being targeted by arsonists, send checks plz" sets off some obvious insurance fraud bells.

Unless that's fairly normal for West Midlands, if it was a French suburb I'd just assume it was within the car-burning baseline

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Billy Zane posted:

How. Just...how? How did they decide to do this in the presence of other people and noone had them committed?

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

smax posted:

Because your car is much more likely to spin uncontrollably if you have no traction in the back. It's a bit more complex than that, but I'm phoneposting.

E: aaand beaten.

New tires on front = Porsche simulator, got it. Reminds me of the time one of the Motor Trend youtube shows (I think) put two donut spares on the back of a reasonably powerful RWD and simulated the tail-happiness of the much more powerful version. (edit: I was wrong, the post below has it.)

Why do they say 2/32" in that video? Most rulers are marked in 16ths, of which 2/32 makes one, a fact a lot of people running two poo poo tires might not realize. Because engineers writing it, I guess.

Of course, I always used the penny gauge (if the tread doesn't cover the space between the top edge and Abe's hair, you probably won't pass inspection.) On that note, are there a lot of cars in Arizona running on completely bald tires? Very little rain, no safety inspection ...

Safety Dance posted:

So the way I see it, new tires on the front makes it easier to drift your Mercury Cougar.

Seriously though, I remember watching some WRC commentary once that went counter to this advice. I guess the difference there is race car driver vs regular driver.
If I've learned anything from watching all the Audi S1 videos on youtube, it's that WRC drivers like to drift. I think it might be that kicking out the back end to make a tight switchback rather than slowing down to take the corner properly keeps the turbo spooled up.

Fun story: the one time I accidentally skidded accidentally (somebody changed lanes into me, I swerved and braked without thinking, wonky front brakes flung me into the median), I instinctively slammed it into a bootleg turn. My reasoning was that I was going into oncoming traffic either way, and I'd rather take the hit from the back -- it was a '71 Nova with rudimentary seatbelts (didn't even retract, there were clips above the doors to hold the shoulder belts when not in use, but it had decent headrests).

I ended up parked neatly on the inside shoulder with the engine off (apparently the 307 couldn't handle the Powerglide trying to turn it backwards when the rear tires hooked up), as if I'd pulled over from the direction I was now facing. I restarted the engine, drove a quarter-mile to the turnaround spot, and went on my way.

Billy Zane posted:

It wouldn't be so bad if the molding wasn't so thick and square (edit: and if the fake wood continued onto the fenders). Not good, but at least a decent ill-conceived homage to the fake woodies of yore ('90s Buick wagon, Jeep Wagoneer, etc.). If done better, it would only look as bad as a PT Cruiser with fake wood, y'know? I'm imagining this person's house as having 2x4s for baseboards and crown molding, and no doorframes, the wallpaper just going right up to the doorways.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jun 20, 2014

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Delivery McGee posted:

New tires on front = Porsche simulator, got it. Reminds me of the time one of the Motor Trend youtube shows (I think) put two donut spares on the back of a reasonably powerful RWD and simulated the tail-happiness of the much more powerful version.

I don't know if this was the video you were thinking of, but it's hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPh90yNX-mY

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
That's the one. Must've been in the "related" for a MT video.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Astonishing Wang, tell your broke rear end buddy that he should hit up an enthusiast forum for whatever make/model he has and see if he can buy some crummy old stock wheels with serviceable tires on them for peanuts. I can get stock size XJ tires on wheels for like 40-100 bucks a full set on NAXJA from guys doing offroad builds, and have done so. If 4 is too pricey, he can probably pick up a good used tire or two for 20-40 each at the local you-pull.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
This E36 wagon (not sure whether it's 325td or tds, but it's a manual) is currently on sale and can be bought for €3950. I am not really tempted though.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Tonton Macoute posted:

This E36 wagon (not sure whether it's 325td or tds, but it's a manual) is currently on sale and can be bought for €3950. I am not really tempted though.

I know. With offroader-gap like that, what's the point?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I wonder if the thought process was something like "hmm, you know what this poo poo brown car needs? pearlescent blue highlights, it'll be perfect!" Time and money later, "oh god what have I done, sell it quick!"

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
The blue is kinda weird but goddamn that brown looks good.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Tonton Macoute posted:

Swap the wheels/tires to something not stretched and blue, dip the blue lip with matte black, krylon the rack black and I'd rock the poo poo out of it.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
I like the AC Schnitzer wheels (right?) but not in that metallic blue and not with the stupid stretched tires and stanced look. Yeesh.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

kastein posted:

Astonishing Wang, tell your broke rear end buddy that he should hit up an enthusiast forum for whatever make/model he has and see if he can buy some crummy old stock wheels with serviceable tires on them for peanuts. I can get stock size XJ tires on wheels for like 40-100 bucks a full set on NAXJA from guys doing offroad builds, and have done so. If 4 is too pricey, he can probably pick up a good used tire or two for 20-40 each at the local you-pull.

I'll do that - thanks

Anghammarad
Jan 3, 2010

Ruining your domestic car industry since 1968

Slavvy posted:

How. Just...how? How did they decide to do this in the presence of other people and noone had them committed?

You're not seeing the plate then? plywoody? i'd hope they're taking the mick

SanitysEdge
Jul 28, 2005

KozmoNaut posted:

I don't know if this was the video you were thinking of, but it's hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPh90yNX-mY

Ive got an automotive axiom about handling: For a constant suspension setup having less grip makes a car handle better.

Consider that with less grip you get less weight transfer effects, less body roll, less brake dive, ect.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I love that wagon. I'd drive that every single day.

Also that woody Prius is really terrible but I dig the whitewalls.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

SanitysEdge posted:

Ive got an automotive axiom about handling: For a constant suspension setup having less grip makes a car handle better.

Consider that with less grip you get less weight transfer effects, less body roll, less brake dive, ect.

The BRZ/FRS seems to confirm this.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Tonton Macoute posted:

If that splitter was black and it was lower this would loving rule

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Tonton Macoute posted:

I love that brown, but not with those blue highlights. Arctic white with the same blue though? I'd rock that in a loving heartbeat.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Funnily enough, this wonderfully sanctimonious "safety" advert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MD8BkIgp9Fo

Now has both ratings and comments disabled. It was linked on Jalopnik, meaning an awful lot of people that actually know something about cars/driving found it, with predictable results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

InitialDave posted:

Funnily enough, this wonderfully sanctimonious "safety" advert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MD8BkIgp9Fo

Now has both ratings and comments disabled. It was linked on Jalopnik, meaning an awful lot of people that actually know something about cars/driving found it, with predictable results.

That is a really awful advertisement.

Apparently, children dying in car accidents equal man running off road and rolling over a group of school kids.