Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nog
May 15, 2006

Slate Action posted:

Wish granted

well, they haven't lost ALL their games yet, they still have to go up against last-ranked australia

based on their performance so far, i'm sure it will be a hard fought loss

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014
lol

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
This has been coming for two years, their friendly performances were almost uniformly awful

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Fag Boy Jim posted:

re: doping, all the Spanish tennis players are doing it too, right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Wimbledon_Championships_%E2%80%93_Men%27s_Singles#Seeds

9 Spanish seeds, Lol.

The Spanish Tennis rebirth is the biggest loving joke in the world. Nadal especially because there's no loving way that dude is even actually competing without HGH, he blew out his knee before and regularly plays in a way that damages his body more than any other.

The rest of them, and anyone over 30, are also definitely doping. It started at least 3-4 years ago, but you started to hear about "well 30 used to be retirement age, but now you're seeing a lot of players experiencing a rebirth at that age". Which is a codeword for doping.

Also lol Djokovic's gluten free + diet change like the year before he won 3 titles in a year. Dude's full of poo poo too.

Postorder Trollet89
Jan 12, 2008
Sweden doesn't do religion. But if they did, it would probably be the best religion in the world.
They're just to freaking old now.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Yeah, not to continue tennis chat in the football forum, but I think the average age of ATP tournament winners has been climbing and climbing- and this is with slower courts that you'd think would suit more athletic, young players with more stamina than the older (non-doped) ones. It's weird to think that the French Open was once a showcase for youth.

I love tennis, but watching it now is just an exercise in laughing at the anonymous Spainards who get eliminated, and getting really depressed when Kei Nishikori gets injured.

edit: RIP

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jun 18, 2014

antpocas
Jun 30, 2004

IF THIS POST ISN'T ABOUT GLORIOUS SALAZAR YOU MUST BE READING IT WRONG

Lladre posted:

Real Madrid has dragged both Iberian teams down.

Spain, however, will move on from the group stage unlike England or Portugal.

Machinegunboyo
Apr 26, 2010

life is good

Lladre posted:

Just to add to this - Spain fielded more Barca players in both games, whoopsy daisies :xd: :xd:

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

beer_war posted:

Spain are going to win the 2014 FIFA World Cup and this forum will explode in impotent rage.

It's gonna be glorious.

hm

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Anime Lover David Beckham

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Yeah, not to continue tennis chat in the football forum, but I think the average age of ATP tournament winners has been climbing and climbing- and this is with slower courts that you'd think would suit more athletic, young players with more stamina than the older (non-doped) ones. It's weird to think that the French Open was once a showcase for youth.

I love tennis, but watching it now is just an exercise in laughing at the anonymous Spainards who get eliminated, and getting really depressed when Kei Nishikori gets injured.

edit: RIP

exactly this, agreed

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

Lladre posted:

lmao

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Jose posted:

So Del Bosque surely has to be sacked now

Quoting this one because nothing would me happier and therefore won't happen.Del Bosque for all his faults is a genuinely good person and the spanish press LOVES him,he grants all kinds of access and is always ready to answer to the big journos.Same performance under Clemente or Luis Aragonés will probably result in a massive amount of abuse , questioning and general classless behaviour similar to the displayed between 2006-2008.Besides the backing of the press he has the support of the sports director of the federation who is an old buddy you may remember: Fernando Hierro.He is bulletproof.

This catastrophe has been two years in the making.Friendlies and qualifying matches were horrible showing an slow and old team filled with old sacred cows.The retirement party for these players should had been the past eurocup,instead they decided to waste two years of development and all the goodwill for this poo poo show.

Now this is not new for me since I have spent the past 20 years watching this team embarrass itself in spectacular fashion.Chipre,Northern Island,France 98 or Germany 2006 come to mind.

hump day bitches! fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jun 19, 2014

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
Thanks for the condolences guys.

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL

Lladre posted:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahah

Your posts in this forum more than any other make this lose glorious.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

8raz
Jun 22, 2007

He's Scouse, He's Sound.
i had literally no idea spain were out until i got in

lol

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Lladre posted:

No one is sorry for Spain and their 3 recent international trophies.

manchego
Feb 16, 2007

MEANWHILE,

Lamadrid posted:

Now this is not new for me since I have spent the past 20 years watching this team embarrass itself in spectacular fashion.Chipre,Northern Island,France 98 or Germany 2006 come to mind.

This is what most people will fail to realize. It's been milk and honey for 6 years, but i would imagine only the very, very young in Spain will be inconsolable.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

manchego posted:

This is what most people will fail to realize. It's been milk and honey for 6 years, but i would imagine only the very, very young in Spain will be inconsolable.

You forgot the plastic bandwagoners like Lladre and El Hefe

Fluo
May 25, 2007

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

The worst is the press.Those fuckers engaged in a Gebbelians effort to spin , change , protect and everything in between the coach and players.They are rude,massively racist and stupidly arrogant.They will whine and bitch when they don't get access and influence.I still remember the 2004 eurocup and the weeks preceding to it when the press started to demand certain players to be put in the starting eleven and the sacking of a coach they had spent two years protecting.

Or Raúl Selección and the hunt of Sergio Aragonés.

manchego posted:

Well they better acquaintance with this feeling because sadly they will be a major mainstay in their lives and not just in relation to football.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Lamadrid posted:

The worst is the press.Those fuckers engaged in a Gebbelians effort to spin , change , protect and everything in between the coach and players.They are rude,massively racist and stupidly arrogant.They will whine and bitch when they don't get access and influence.I still remember the 2004 eurocup and the weeks preceding to it when the press started to demand certain players to be put in the starting eleven and the sacking of a coach they had spent two years protecting.

Welcome to England, enjoy your stay.

e: going to look up Gebbelians , but I'll assume herculean for the moment

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم
I think he meant Goebbels

manchego
Feb 16, 2007

MEANWHILE,

url posted:

Welcome to England, enjoy your stay.

I can't think of a country that Spain is closest to in character. All that was needed was the single star above the crest.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

The Finn posted:

I think he meant Goebbels

I am way too tired to write properly.I'll leave it there to further complement this shameful day.

manchego posted:

I can't think of a country that Spain is closest to in character. All that was needed was the single star above the crest.

:smith:

hump day bitches! fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jun 19, 2014

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Jose posted:

So Del Bosque surely has to be sacked now

I thought I read somewhere that Del Bosque said he was going to retire after the WC

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

DOOP posted:

I thought I read somewhere that Del Bosque said he was going to retire after the WC

In April said he wanted to retire but a month ago a press report came out saying he wanted more time to think about the retirement.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Close thread.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
I remember reading somewhere that Aragones still believed Torres was the best option to lead the line for Spain.

And well, it's quite interesting how Spain's fortunes have declined in line with his. Spain lost the opening game of the 2012 World Cup - when Torres did not start, and Villa led the line as the only real striker. Thereafter, Torres played, Spain won. The more direct nature of his game, coupled with his lightning pace caused defences to have to adapt to him, giving the midfield more space and a ready-made "out" that kept Spain piling forward. Costa doesn't have the same pace Torres used to, and despite being a direct player, he doesn't have the same sort of movement Torres used to either.

Both Chile and the Netherlands were more than happy to crowd the Spanish attacking players, and either sit deep on the defence, or push up depending on the situation; swarming the wide players to nullify attacks, content that nothing was going to come straight up the middle of the field, and that Costa could be nullified if he gained possession.

Now, Costa still fluffed his lines on some chances that may have changed both games, and he's likely still injured/recovering. But, neither side would have been so dismissive of the old Torres - who would have either dropped deeper to run at defenders with pace (or pull them miles out of position), or moved onto the shoulder of the defenders, offering an easy ball over the top. His movement would also have given the midfielders more room to operate. Xabi Alonso has had a pretty terrible tournament so far, and while fatigue may be part of that, more of it is simply down to him not getting the time and, more importantly, space on the ball he is used to.

Carrier
May 12, 2009

ZeeBoi posted:

Close thread.

lol

Carrier
May 12, 2009

also in general: lol

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I can be framed easier than Whistler's Mother

ZeeBoi posted:

Close thread.

oh my

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
I kind of feel bad for Casillas. Then I remember he's got millions of reasons for me not to.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
Iniesta was the only player who looked like he deserved to be there, he's an amazing player, shame he had to play for Barca all his career and thus be just one more cog in the Pep tiki-taka machine instead of the standout he should have been.

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

The Clit Avoider posted:

I remember reading somewhere that Aragones still believed Torres was the best option to lead the line for Spain.

And well, it's quite interesting how Spain's fortunes have declined in line with his. Spain lost the opening game of the 2012 World Cup - when Torres did not start, and Villa led the line as the only real striker. Thereafter, Torres played, Spain won. The more direct nature of his game, coupled with his lightning pace caused defences to have to adapt to him, giving the midfield more space and a ready-made "out" that kept Spain piling forward. Costa doesn't have the same pace Torres used to, and despite being a direct player, he doesn't have the same sort of movement Torres used to either.

Both Chile and the Netherlands were more than happy to crowd the Spanish attacking players, and either sit deep on the defence, or push up depending on the situation; swarming the wide players to nullify attacks, content that nothing was going to come straight up the middle of the field, and that Costa could be nullified if he gained possession.

Now, Costa still fluffed his lines on some chances that may have changed both games, and he's likely still injured/recovering. But, neither side would have been so dismissive of the old Torres - who would have either dropped deeper to run at defenders with pace (or pull them miles out of position), or moved onto the shoulder of the defenders, offering an easy ball over the top. His movement would also have given the midfielders more room to operate. Xabi Alonso has had a pretty terrible tournament so far, and while fatigue may be part of that, more of it is simply down to him not getting the time and, more importantly, space on the ball he is used to.

lol where did you find this gem?

Spain's problem was the failure of tiki-taka and then the subsequent failure to fix that by playing even more tiki-taka. Diego Costa is a 6'2 target forward going against a bunch of 5'5 and 5'7 guys and it never once occurred to Spain to maybe play a ball in the air. Nope, gotta make nine negative passes with all these old, slow midfielders we have derp derp

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW
After watching Mandzukic smash in some sick head kicks I bet Peppers will look to deploy that tactic during Bayern's 2014/2015 Bundyleague campaign.

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW
And it warms my cold dark Herefordian heart that the Diego Costa saga has resulted in Spain going out and Brazil going out soon because they have no real forward.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
End of an era lads. All good things etc. But no one will ever forget the time when Spain elevated the beautiful game to an art, dominated the world and hell, thrilled us with some of the best football we'll ever see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

manchego posted:

This. They had an amazing run, but this is merely a return to form. 2014 isn't the first World Cup Spain embarrassed themselves at, and it won't be the last.

• Locked thread