Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Washington Chiefs2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
Washington Engines, with a locomotive logo

Wanvig
Sep 8, 2003

Washington Redskins, only the logo is a potato wearing a little helmet

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

bewbies posted:

Legal goons, what do you think the basis for the appeal will be?

15 U.S.C. 1071. Statutory right to appeal decisions of the TTAB to the federal courts.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

The merits of the appeal, however, is gonna be kinda rough. Just because they can appeal doesn't mean they'll win. The TTAB put forth a convincing argument that the trademark is not only disparaging now, but was disparaging when granted. The first case was only bounced on grounds of laches (not dissimilar with statute of limitations) as the plaintiffs were deemed to have waited too long to pursue the disparagement claim. The upshot of this, however, is that there's a perpetually churning population which has new members reaching the age of majority every day-- and thus, able to bring suit. The time limit applies to individual plaintiffs seeking to get rid of the trademark, not to challenging the trademark itself.

Long story short, Snyder might be kinda hosed, as there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of defense here.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Well, the first case was initially bounced both on laches and on lack of evidence. It was appealed, court of appeals rules on laches and omitted the substantive issue since laches decided it, remanded, district decided purely on laches. So it's not quite as bleak as all that.

Then again, DDC is not the friendliest place for causes like this one.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Washington Partisans.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Kalman posted:

Well, the first case was initially bounced both on laches and on lack of evidence. It was appealed, court of appeals rules on laches and omitted the substantive issue since laches decided it, remanded, district decided purely on laches. So it's not quite as bleak as all that.

Then again, DDC is not the friendliest place for causes like this one.

Considering other trademark attempts featuring the word "redskins" have been rejected, including "Washington Redskins Cheerleaders," I have a feeling that the team will also lose the appeal: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/local/wp/2014/01/28/from-pork-rinds-to-cheerleaders-the-trademark-office-rejects-the-word-redskins/

Washington Redtails would actually be a way for them to honor Native Americans WRONG INFO, plus have cool historical connection and keep the color scheme.

Hot Diggity! fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jun 19, 2014

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Breaky posted:

Washington Partisans.

Washington Partizans, so they can keep the spear logo

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Alouicious posted:

Washington Partizans, so they can keep the spear logo

Washington Parisians. Replace the headdress with a beret.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Ok I wasn't planning to post at all this week but I'm going to make an exception and phone post from Hawaii just to say lol Redskins

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

TubeStank posted:

Washington Redtails would actually be a way for them to honor Native Americans, plus have cool historical connection and keep the color scheme.
My understanding was that Redtails was a reference to African American airmen in WWII, not Native Americans? Either way I think people's attempts to make the new name "honor" Native Americans are really misguided and the best strategy would be to abandon any reference to it. If the team aims to do something good to honor Native Americans, they can do it by following through with the charity they set up, not making them a mascot.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

het posted:

My understanding was that Redtails was a reference to African American airmen in WWII, not Native Americans? Either way I think people's attempts to make the new name "honor" Native Americans are really misguided and the best strategy would be to abandon any reference to it. If the team aims to do something good to honor Native Americans, they can do it by following through with the charity they set up, not making them a mascot.

Whoops, yeah, you're right. I had seen a couple of mockups that had alluded to that, so they were wrong with that aspect.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

het posted:

The only real way to do it would be what FSU did with the Seminoles, where they license the name (which is a specific tribe and not a slur or a general term like Indians) and also do a lot for awareness and philanthropy. FSU tries (and fails) to crack down on the stereotypical stuff like the tomahawk chop. Washington could do that if they really want to keep the theme, they just need to find a willing tribe.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

TubeStank posted:

Considering other trademark attempts featuring the word "redskins" have been rejected, including "Washington Redskins Cheerleaders," I have a feeling that the team will also lose the appeal: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/local/wp/2014/01/28/from-pork-rinds-to-cheerleaders-the-trademark-office-rejects-the-word-redskins/

Different decision maker and different standards of decision, though. I don't think any of those new attempts have made it to court yet, they're just examiner rejections (and possibly a TTAB decision or two.)

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

swickles posted:

The only real way to do it would be what FSU did with the Seminoles, where they license the name (which is a specific tribe and not a slur or a general term like Indians) and also do a lot for awareness and philanthropy. FSU tries (and fails) to crack down on the stereotypical stuff like the tomahawk chop. Washington could do that if they really want to keep the theme, they just need to find a willing tribe.

Even that's...less than ideal, though: http://www.thenation.com/blog/177800/florida-state-seminoles-champions-racist-mascots

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Would this be the first time the US givernment has decided to take something away from the redskins? Someone with a good knowledg of sports history would know.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Wanvig posted:

Washington Redskins, only the logo is a potato wearing a little helmet

PETA beat you to that joke.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Teddybear posted:

The merits of the appeal, however, is gonna be kinda rough. Just because they can appeal doesn't mean they'll win. The TTAB put forth a convincing argument that the trademark is not only disparaging now, but was disparaging when granted. The first case was only bounced on grounds of laches (not dissimilar with statute of limitations) as the plaintiffs were deemed to have waited too long to pursue the disparagement claim. The upshot of this, however, is that there's a perpetually churning population which has new members reaching the age of majority every day-- and thus, able to bring suit. The time limit applies to individual plaintiffs seeking to get rid of the trademark, not to challenging the trademark itself.

Long story short, Snyder might be kinda hosed, as there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of defense here.

While I do think they might actually uphold today's ruling, the question is how long will the appeal last anyway? It took so long to get this far, how long do we have to wait for true victory? If it happens?

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Febreeze posted:

While I do think they might actually uphold today's ruling, the question is how long will the appeal last anyway? It took so long to get this far, how long do we have to wait for true victory? If it happens?

Unless they found a way to get this case to the front of the line it'll be a couple of years.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

TMMadman posted:

I've got it: The Washington Carvers.

I like this one.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Party Plane Jones posted:

I like this one.

I'd be cool with a resurrection of the Clone High anthropomorphic peanut.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
The Washington Redbox Instant by Verizon

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Febreeze posted:

Court docket times are significantly faster than TTAB appeals, but it's still going to be 2-3 years most likely.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Vladimir Putin posted:

Would this be the first time the US givernment has decided to take something away from the redskins?

Andrew Jackson tried his damndest.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

het posted:

Also kinda dumb because they have zero to do with Washington. Now, if Montgomery Alabama got a team...that'd be a good one.

Just be the Washington Potomacs, change the colors to white and red, and put the Washington coat of arms on the helmet.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I remember when St. John's (Chris Mullin, Metta World Peace, Mark Jackson) changed their name from 'redmen' to 'redstorm'. That was like 10 years ago. So yeah Washington is a little behind the times.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

rjmccall posted:

Washington Hogs would be a legitimately good name.

Washington Warthogs just sounds better.

A hog name lets them keep the cross-dressing pig people too :colbert:

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton

Bellmaker posted:

Washington Warthogs just sounds better.

A hog name lets them keep the cross-dressing pig people too :colbert:

Those dudes retired. Some other bros were dressed up and called themselves Art Monks. It sucked.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

swickles posted:

Washington Warthogs is alliterative. And the best idea so far.

I think it is cool but I doubt Snyder will find it kosher.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Chichevache posted:

I think it is cool but I doubt Snyder will find it kosher.

All the better (not to piss off Jews, just Snyder in particular).

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The NFL should nationalize the Redskins and rename them the Kikes.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
The Washington Oilers

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Sash! posted:

Also kinda dumb because they have zero to do with Washington. Now, if Montgomery Alabama got a team...that'd be a good one.
Well I mean it's supposed to tie into black culture/Chocolate City, etc. and that doesn't really seem that discordant to me. If it weren't for Cleveland I'd advocate for the Washington (Chuck) Browns

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Volkerball posted:

Yea, but when I think of a proud and noble people...

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Volkerball posted:

That idea has already been put forth.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/redskins-kike-owner-refuses-to-change-teams-offens,34292/

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
The Washington Swamp That Traded Malaria For Politics

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
It's been 8 pages and 20+ years of scrutiny on the name I think we've breached the law of diminishing returns y'all.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Washington Redtails with stylized ww2 fighters on the helmet would own

Darth could probably whip up a credible uniform based around that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
It should be the Washington Weenies with the new logo being a tiny penis.

• Locked thread