Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
So are we getting NMH 3 for WiiU or not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Is it possible to transfer system info from a Wii Mini to a Wii U?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

boom boom boom posted:

Is it possible to transfer system info from a Wii Mini to a Wii U?

Nope. You need an SD card to do it and the Wii Mini doesn't have an SD card slot.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Austrian mook posted:

So are we getting NMH 3 for WiiU or not

Suda hasn't said anything about it and no-one seems to be asking about it, either.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Suda hasn't said anything about it and no-one seems to be asking about it, either.

I would be perfectly fine if we never got NMH3, 2 finished on a good note and the way Suda's been going about his recent titles, chances are 3 is just going to be mediocre and become the kind of game NMH1 was making fun of in the first place.

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~

MinibarMatchman posted:

The only way I'd say it was "too short" is if you're an unemployed shut-in who played the game for a week straight.

Maybe the unemployed should spend less time saying that Super Mario 3D World is too short, and more time saying that Super Mario 3D World is the correct amount of gametime.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

matrix ripoff posted:

Maybe the unemployed should spend less time saying that Super Mario 3D World is too short, and more time saying that Super Mario 3D World is the correct amount of gametime.

Exactly, games are way to loving long nowadays. Super Mario 3D World spends it's development time refining poo poo, instead of making extra crap

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

I gave that pitch vibrato. Pitches love vibrato.

jivjov posted:

There is indeed! I don't know the name and code off the top of my head, but watch this space, I'll edit it in when I get home tonight.

Awesome! Thanks! I'm quoting your post for ease of finding after you edit in the code :D

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

SeANMcBAY posted:

Is Ninja Gaiden 3 worth it for $10? I loved the one on Xbox but didn't play much of 2.

I had a pretty good time with it as a fairly casual character action game fan. It's not brilliant but unless you're like a connoisseur of the genre you'll probably get some fun from it for :10bux:

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

ChaosArgate posted:

Nope. You need an SD card to do it and the Wii Mini doesn't have an SD card slot.

What a terrible redesign.

manpurse
Mar 19, 2007

Pegnose Pete posted:

Man you lucky SOB. Haha.
Do you mind me asking where you live? The managers in Burlington, ON really kept going on about how these sales were only up north. I probably could have convinced them to give me a pro controller for the sale price but there was no way they were letting the console go that cheap.

Edit:

So in preparation for my Wii U, I've been beefing up my Wii library.
I had a Wii in the past and sold it but kept some of my games.

My new additions are:
Galaxy 2
No More Heroes 2
Twilight Princess
Metroid Prime Trilogy (ebay and paid through the nose but gently caress it)

and I previously had:
Galaxy 1
Xenoblade
The Last Story
Skyward Sword

I am gushing Nintendo love at the moment. Can't wait till I finish my Masters and can focus on what REALLY matters.

Alberta.

Only the dumbest of dumb fucks around here work at Walmart.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

manpurse posted:

Alberta.

Only the dumbest of dumb fucks around here work at Walmart.

suddenly everything comes together

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

boom boom boom posted:

What a terrible redesign.

Cutting costs or no, I still don't get how a redesign that came out 6 years after the original is so much worse in every way. For a "mini" version it's not even that much smaller!

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

SeANMcBAY posted:

It's great and yes.

Is Ninja Gaiden 3 worth it for $10? I loved the one on Xbox but didn't play much of 2.

Yo I just started playing this recently so I will give my thoughts as well.

Negatives:
Way less enemy variety and level variety than previous NG games
Some really bad slowdown in spots

Positives:
Combat is still basically the same as NG2
The new scoring multiplier stuff with obliterate techs and steel on bone is cool

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Supercar Gautier posted:

Cutting costs or no, I still don't get how a redesign that came out 6 years after the original is so much worse in every way. For a "mini" version it's not even that much smaller!

They completely gutted the wifi from the thing too, so you'd have no way at all to download the transfer tool. Why does that thing exist? Seriously?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It's for low income people, emerging markets, and people who want a system for their kids that can not connect to the internet

manpurse
Mar 19, 2007

Austrian mook posted:

suddenly everything comes together

There is 3 wind waker and 2 Mario Bros Wii U deluxe consoles here. I could probably grab them all for half price.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

ChaosArgate posted:

They completely gutted the wifi from the thing too, so you'd have no way at all to download the transfer tool. Why does that thing exist? Seriously?

I'd understand if it was like, 60 or 70 bucks, but it is significantly more expensive than a used normal Wii.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

The mini was supposed to be the cheapest way to play wii games, but Nintendo didn't make very many so they kinda became a rare oddity, meanwhile used Wii consoles are for sale everywhere

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

.TakaM posted:

The mini was supposed to be the cheapest way to play wii games, but Nintendo didn't make very many so they kinda became a rare oddity, meanwhile used Wii consoles are for sale everywhere

I think my Walmart has the entire stock. There are solid 10 there at all times.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Niemat posted:

Awesome! Thanks! I'm quoting your post for ease of finding after you edit in the code :D

LowTaxLowEffort 1786-3632-8641 Come join us in getting fit!

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

.TakaM posted:

They are at every target

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
They were $50 during Black Friday (or Boxing Day?) in Canada at Costco.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

ChaosArgate posted:

To be the only source of Red Wii Remotes and Nunchuks apparently. :(

The Walmart in my city never seems to sell them though, they just sit on the shelf in the case.

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole
I just bought the Mario Kart 8 bundle and I got a free game to choose from and I don't know what to choose. I have never played Wind Waker or any of the Pikmin series and I never really completed Super Mario Bros Wii. I'll probably be playing alone so I don't really know which one to choose. Can you goons help me out?

Nilryna
Jan 2, 2004

=^o^=

i like tacos posted:

I just bought the Mario Kart 8 bundle and I got a free game to choose from and I don't know what to choose. I have never played Wind Waker or any of the Pikmin series and I never really completed Super Mario Bros Wii. I'll probably be playing alone so I don't really know which one to choose. Can you goons help me out?

If you've never played Wind Waker, definitely go for that. I bought the system just for the Zelda bundle and played through it again and loved it just as much as I did on the Gamecube a bajillion years ago. You can't go wrong with Wind Waker, or Pikmin, really. But if you'd be doing yourself a disservice to pass on the best Zelda game ever.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Hi guys. I just picked up a Wii U and I'm pretty happy with my purchase so far. However, I'm running into a shortcoming with audio output that I'd like to remedy.

I connect the Wii U to my monitor through HDMI. My monitor does not output sound. The gamepad outputs sound for some games but not all (and sometimes only when you move the game to the gamepad, e.g. Wind Waker HD).

I would like to output the sound from the Wii U to my headphones. I intend to do this by purchasing this A/V cable and this adapter http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009JFF7A/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2TI3F8VWE6SJ5. In the Wii U settings, I intend to set the TV audio to "non-HDMI."

Will this output sound that should be coming out of my monitor into my headphones? I believe it will but I'd like to be certain. Thank you!

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

I am kinda staring down the 200 dollar refurb Wii U's, but is there really no ethernet port on the Wii U? I don't like wireless for anything if I can help it.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Evil Canadian posted:

I am kinda staring down the 200 dollar refurb Wii U's, but is there really no ethernet port on the Wii U? I don't like wireless for anything if I can help it.

No but you can get an adaptor for 10 bucks on Amazon.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

thegloaming posted:

I would like to output the sound from the Wii U to my headphones. I intend to do this by purchasing this A/V cable and this adapter http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009JFF7A/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2TI3F8VWE6SJ5. In the Wii U settings, I intend to set the TV audio to "non-HDMI."

Will this output sound that should be coming out of my monitor into my headphones? I believe it will but I'd like to be certain. Thank you!

Yes this will work.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

i like tacos posted:

They're pretty much all good games, you can't go wrong. Pikmin is kind of like an action-strategy hybrid kinda thing if you like RTSes, Wind Waker is one of the best Zeldas, and by New Super Mario standards NSMBU is amazing. Just get whatever appeals to you or flip a coin or something. You'll probably end up buying the other two anyway.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

noirstronaut posted:

I think my Walmart has the entire stock. There are solid 10 there at all times.

boom boom boom posted:

They are at every target
ok sure, but outside of america they're pretty hard to find. The only people that should buy a wii mini are collectors and people who would never make use of the features it lacks

.TakaM fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jun 19, 2014

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

i like tacos posted:

Wind Waker is the best single player game of the lot. SMBU and Pikmin 3 aren't bad either, and I'd put them in that remaining order. I think you've got to have a knack for RTS games to really enjoy Pikmin. Against my better judgment (I generally dislike strategy games) I picked it up, and had a hard time getting into it.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

I also picked it up and while I actually enjoyed it, there is little reason to come back to it if you don't like mission mode.

Azmodaii
Aug 16, 2008
I randomly came across a video of the new super mario bros game and it reminded me how awesome super mario world was on the snes and how much I loved that game. From what I can gather, the new SMB game also has a lot of secrets and alternative endings to levels etc that the SMW had and this is reason enough for me to go out and buy it, I haven't played any of the mario games since M64 so I wanted to ask which of the mario games are worth playing from the wii and wii u era.

I don't like zelda games, I never really got into them or played them back in the SNES, NES days, but is this new zelda game you are all raving on about really appealing to a non zelda fan?

and finally, I live in Saudi Arabia so some games may not be available to buy, or be more expensive than retail, so are all the games available from the wii shop from the start, can I just buy them from there and does the console have enough memory to download several of these games? Or am I just better off buying the discs for them?

oh and as a final question, any other games apart from pimkin that you guys really recommend?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Super Mario Galaxy 1&2 on the Wii (playable on the WiiU with a Wii remote+nunchuk) are awesome. Super Mario 3D World on the WiiU is awesome. I haven't played New Super Mario Bros U yet but consensus in the thread is that it is good.

I'm not sure which Zelda you're talking about, but Wind Waker is a really great game and is I guess what people recommend here. If you're not a fan of the series, though, I doubt it would really change your mind. What don't you like about the series, though?

All new games are available to buy on the eShop, but you might find that the shop prices for the digital versions may be higher than what you might find in a shop or on an online retailer or whatever. The Premium console would have enough space for a couple of games, but you can easily extend your storage space with an external hard disk, if you want to go fully digital.

Other recommended games would be Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart 8, Wonderful 101.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Azmodaii posted:

I randomly came across a video of the new super mario bros game

snip

The Mario Galaxay games are consistently rated among the best Mario games ever, so you definitely owe it to yourself to pick them up. Super Mario 3D World is the best Mario game in ages. You will not be disappointed in it. NSMBU is also solid, but it's more fun if you have someone to play with.

In addition to what irlZaphod suggested, I also recommend Rayman Legends and Lego City Undercover. The former is a 2-D platformer and will definitely appealed to you if you liked the old Mario games. Or the old Sonic games, for that matter. Lego City is a free roaming adventure game sort of in the vein of Grand Theft Auto, but it also has a lot of platforming and a lot of exploration. Seriously, there's tons of poo poo to find.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Can I just say how BS it is that I can't use a single partition for Wii U stuff and another for non Wii U stuff. On top of that, I can't use one for vWii-related things without being nagged everytime I start up my Wii U. I wish it would just remember that I've said no at least 16 times now or never ask again ever.

noirstronaut fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jun 19, 2014

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I never likes the new Rayman games. I just couldn't get into them. I felt like every character in the game was poochy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I know people have good-sayings about the refurb Wii U, but what about the refurb Wiimotes? I'm close to buying one if only to get a black one to match everything else black that I own, but I don't want one with someone's sweat stains and general funk.

• Locked thread