Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
Motherfucker killed off David Warner. He ain't gettin' no sympathy from me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Yeah that's pretty hard to forgive.

bryn987
May 31, 2014
Caliban looks like the singer Meatloaf

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
RIP, Van Helsing, you were too good for this world. :qq:

But really, I still do feel for Caliban. He's a monster not because of the way he was made, but because of the way he was treated by the person who made him. Caliban's clearly intelligent and incredibly capable (stagehand work is no joke), not some shambling, stiff zombie. If Frankenstein had just stuck the gently caress around he would have realized that he just revolutionized humanity.

Honorific!
Jul 5, 2007

Well played, Goonsire!
I don't like Caliban, but I do appreciate the fact that they managed to turn Frankenstein's monster into a goony Phantom of the Opera. It's all I can think of when he shows up and it keeps making me giggle.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

bryn987 posted:

I'm never going to unsee this now.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

bryn987 posted:

He'd do anything for love.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Honorific! posted:

I don't like Caliban, but I do appreciate the fact that they managed to turn Frankenstein's monster into a goony Phantom of the Opera. It's all I can think of when he shows up and it keeps making me giggle.

The phantom of the opera aspect is another quality I love. It fits so well and is a nice interpretation/execution of the role.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Clearly plenty of people enjoy this show but feel the need to trash it because they feel guilty about enjoying its middlebrown pulpiness. That's dumb.

But God, what a lousy episode. Ethan and Brona have a "I'm sorry about last night" reconciliation like she pitched a fit because he forgot to take out the garbage. Dracula's brides are introduced and used as disposable enemies like a RPG encounter. David Warner leaves the cast as soon as he joined it thanks to Frankenstein, who it turns out is Elliot Rodger. In wrestling, they call this "hotshot booking."

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Halloween Jack posted:

Clearly plenty of people enjoy this show but feel the need to trash it because they feel guilty about enjoying its middlebrown pulpiness. That's dumb.
If you think this is why I think this show is awful, you have missed the mark.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

It's entirely OK if you think the show is awful, I'm sure there's a lot of people who feel the same :shrug:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Hollismason posted:

The vampire attack with them shooting etc... was pretty silly. Apparently the only attack vampires know with their superhuman strength is to jump on someones back.

Also pretty sure I saw Sembene take a bite on the back of the neck.

And that sex scene with Dorian makes me really look forward to Ava Lord vs. Dwight this August. :stare:

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Also pretty sure I saw Sembene take a bite on the back of the neck.

And that sex scene with Dorian makes me really look forward to Ava Lord vs. Dwight this August. :stare:
I hope he's okay, Sembene is a great secondary character.

nutranurse posted:

Eva Green was made for a role like this.

All the scenes with Green and Dalton are fantastic.
I dl podcasts onto my phone so I can listen while doing other stuff, but this Victorian-era 'link' device might work for you

http://podbay.fm/show/877458907

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

If you think this is why I think this show is awful, you have missed the mark.
I'm not counting people who don't like the show at all. Are you a critic, or is your wife watching or something?

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?

Binary Logic posted:

I dl podcasts onto my phone so I can listen while doing other stuff, but this Victorian-era 'link' device might work for you

http://podbay.fm/show/877458907

Cool, thanks. I'm pretty new to podcasts so I guess I should have asked the name instead. I actually ended up searching for PD podcasts and have been listening to this one already. It's interesting but good god do they have some really stupid ideas about what's happening sometimes.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Just got caught up with this show and it's pretty amazing (I'm a sucker for pulpy horror/gore fests).

While I understand the Caliban hate I can't help but adore the little over-melodramtic rascal, you can snap my neck out of the blue anytime dude :allears:
(It helps that his dramatic persona goes perfectly with Frankensteins :aaa: puppy-eyed look of horror in every scene)

Hollismason posted:

The vampire attack with them shooting etc... was pretty silly. Apparently the only attack vampires know with their superhuman strength is to jump on someones back.

Honestly are we sure these guys are vampires and not just your average goth World of Darkness larper squad? :v:

Evidence:
1) Heavy goth make-up and hair dying
2) Bad breath
3) Below average human strength
4) Dies when slashed, stabbed or shot in the head

Alternative reading of the show: Everyone has had quite too much Absinthe and is either tripping balls or going along with anything Ms Ives says regardless.
->A lot of shot up homeless shelters in London while they try to find anyone remotely similar to Mina, while she is actually still at home, perfectly fine. Sir Malcom simply never went back to check personally :ms:

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010
Yeah, pretty sure that that super fast albino giants are the vampires, the brides are just what happens when a blood drinking monster uses you as foodstuffs.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.
I have a hard time taking Caliban seriously because I last saw Rory Kinnear playing the straight man in the Count Arthur Strong TV show. I like Count Arthur on the radio but the TV show was patchy and it's difficult to think of two shows more different in tone.

Apart from that, loving the the overall feel of the show, and the writing at the conversational level is excellent, even if it doesn't hold together as well at the story level.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Boy, this show can spin its wheels. I hate Dorian Gray the most for this. Every time he shows up, everything gets put on hold for 20 minutes while he tries to gently caress whoever is in his field of vision.

Eva Green plays crazy really, really well. She also gives a really rousing performance in the "300" sequel, playing a real psychopathic turncoat Greek.

Edit: Oh yeah, that vampire fight was loving laughable. The 3 of them must have killed, what, 15 or so?

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jun 22, 2014

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

Boy, this show can spin its wheels. I hate Dorian Gray the most for this. Every time he shows up, everything gets put on hold for 20 minutes while he tries to gently caress whoever is in his field of vision.

Eva Green plays crazy really, really well. She also gives a really rousing performance in the "300" sequel, playing a real psychopathic turncoat Greek.

Edit: Oh yeah, that vampire fight was loving laughable. The 3 of them must have killed, what, 15 or so?

One thing I'd like to point out as a counterpoint to the 'how did so many vampires get slaughtered so easily' argument is that we really don't know what powers and abilities they have, if any. Sure the lead one has super strength, but we don't know what his underlings could do. Van Helsing advocated putting a stake through the heart and beheading, but seemingly bullets work just as well or glass shards into the skull.

We simply can't assume that all the folklore around vampires or any other monsters are true in the Penny Dreadful world. Just pretend everything you know comes from the penny dreadful Van Helsing gave to Frankenstein, theres a seed of truth and then a lot of made up sensationalism.

If you can't do that, then I'd think you'd still have a bigger issue with why Frankenstein's monster isn't a lumbering flat-top-skull bolts in the neck wearing a bad suit monster with no intelligence.

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jun 22, 2014

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Blackchamber posted:

One thing I'd like to point out as a counterpoint to the 'how did so many vampires get slaughtered so easily' argument is that we really don't know what powers and abilities they have, if any. Sure the lead one has super strength, but we don't know what his underlings could do. Van Helsing advocated putting a stake through the heart and beheading, but seemingly bullets work just as well or glass shards into the skull.

We simply can't assume that all the folklore around vampires or any other monsters are true in the Penny Dreadful world. Just pretend everything you know comes from the penny dreadful Van Helsing gave to Frankenstein, theres a seed of truth and then a lot of made up sensationalism.

If you can't do that, then I'd think you'd still have a bigger issue with why Frankenstein's monster isn't a lumbering flat-top-skull bolts in the neck wearing a bad suit monster with no intelligence.

I'm not complaining that it's unfaithful to folklore. The vampires getting their asses kicked by the dozen just means there's no drama to those fight scenes.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

PostNouveau posted:

I'm not complaining that it's unfaithful to folklore. The vampires getting their asses kicked by the dozen just means there's no drama to those fight scenes.

They're thralls, not vampires, like not!Renfield was. They eat flesh and can be killed by head wounds.

I see your point, but they're a different class of supernatural.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Goodness, I didn't expect that to be so controversial.

It doesn't matter what kind of supernatural entity they are, watching the main characters mow down cannon fodder makes for a laughably awful fight scene. I think they filmed Malcolm shooting one of them in the head once and just used three angles of the shot at separate times in the scene.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Ethan: "What's wrong with her?"

Sir Malcolm: "She is possessed by the devil."

Ethan: "gently caress me!"

Seriously if you watched this last episode and all you got is "didn't like the shooting lots of vampires scene" maybe this show is just not for you.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Doctor Frankenstein shooting up :suspense:

Sir Malcolm shooting up with Doctor Frankenstein :suspense:

DecentHairJelly
Jul 24, 2007

I don't want Fop goddamnit
^^^^^
Exactly. This show hooked me on episode two and it has been getting better each week. Its really a shame that we only have one more episode left. Most of the credit goes to Eva Green. The things she does with her eyes during her possession scenes I didn't think were possible. She's the primary force pulling me back each week. Also I hated Dorian Gray at first but he has gradually become one of the most interesting characters for me.

Also, that look on Sembene's face when he knocked out Vanessa after she trashed Malcom's study was great. He's like "All you had to do was smack her in the head. Now I gotta clean up this mess."

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

They're running a second season, at the very least, and it's going to be longer (discussed earlier in thread), I think 12 episodes.

e:

DecentHairJelly posted:

Most of the credit goes to Eva Green.
For this episode at least, Josh Hartnett kept up with her just fine, mainly because he had a lot to work with this time.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jun 23, 2014

DecentHairJelly
Jul 24, 2007

I don't want Fop goddamnit
Yeah, he hasn't done a whole lot over the course of the season, but his final scene tonight was great. Also his devil scene, and his buddy buddy firearms training scene with Victor.

DecentHairJelly fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jun 23, 2014

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.
I'm officially obsessed with this show. I love Eva Green so much.

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

The thing that made me laugh the most this episode was Hartnett character was all mad he thought that sir malcolm was manipulating eva greens character then he loving solves it in 2 mins with that pendant haha, i mean what the gently caress, I was hoping frankensteins monster was going to break into that house and poo poo up the episode like he does every time hes on screen.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

True enough, but it was something pretty clearly he was enormously reluctant to do - when he took the medal in the first place he obviously didn't want to do it, and through this episode he'd almost rather shoot her to death rather than do the exorcism thing. I expect that will be justified more in future episodes.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
I feel like this show is generally carried by the actors pulling a lot from the scripts. The main plot is somewhat tiresome, especially since we have been burning through backstory almost every other episode. Eva Green and Timothy Dalton are excellent; I especially love how much of almost totally unrepentant bastard Dalton's explorer is, and Green really masters crazy. The rest of the cast is solid too. I hope this gets renewed, because with a little more focus on the next season this show would really be excellent. Right now I feel that the setting and cast is perfect, it just needs that focus to reach the next level. Kind of like how Justified shift into arcs really bolstered it from a decent to superb show.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Flesh Forge posted:

True enough, but it was something pretty clearly he was enormously reluctant to do - when he took the medal in the first place he obviously didn't want to do it, and through this episode he'd almost rather shoot her to death rather than do the exorcism thing. I expect that will be justified more in future episodes.

He turns into a priest with the full moon.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
I must have missed the significance of the pendant thing?

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

DecentHairJelly posted:

^^^^^
Exactly. This show hooked me on episode two and it has been getting better each week. Its really a shame that we only have one more episode left. Most of the credit goes to Eva Green. The things she does with her eyes during her possession scenes I didn't think were possible. She's the primary force pulling me back each week. Also I hated Dorian Gray at first but he has gradually become one of the most interesting characters for me.

Also, that look on Sembene's face when he knocked out Vanessa after she trashed Malcom's study was great. He's like "All you had to do was smack her in the head. Now I gotta clean up this mess."

Sembene's role as the one who doesn't say much but has the correct answers is a great addition to the show. "Call a priest" he says, which is ignored for about a week. Also when confronted about why he's staying with Sir Malcolm because Malcolm saved his life and he retorts, "Maybe I saved his life and am now responsible for him" was well done.

That 2nd-last episode was amazing, really raised the stakes in the Amun-Ra and Amunet-Ra storyline.

It also showed off some of the depth of the male characters because there is an adventurer, a sharp-shooter and a doctor who says he's trying to bridge the gap between life and death - yet they all have their 'demons' or baggage, and they were all shown as hypocrites and cowards in some ways.

Also interesting was that last week we had a look at Victorian-era psychotherapy and surgery, and this week had a little glimpse into that epoch's attitude towards drug use.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jun 26, 2014

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

unlawfulsoup posted:

I feel like this show is generally carried by the actors pulling a lot from the scripts. The main plot is somewhat tiresome, especially since we have been burning through backstory almost every other episode. Eva Green and Timothy Dalton are excellent; I especially love how much of almost totally unrepentant bastard Dalton's explorer is, and Green really masters crazy. The rest of the cast is solid too. I hope this gets renewed, because with a little more focus on the next season this show would really be excellent. Right now I feel that the setting and cast is perfect, it just needs that focus to reach the next level. Kind of like how Justified shift into arcs really bolstered it from a decent to superb show.

I guess I like the writing a lot more than you but agree that the actors are elevating the show above the script. Also there's something unsettling about the cinematography and maybe the foley track sometimes but I don't know exactly what they're doing. Some of the fight scenes, and Vanessa scratching her arms are not shot the same as other scenes.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I feel like this show is going to have a hell of a time wrapping things up for a satisfying season finale in just an hour. There are a ton of threads that are just introduced and basically forgotten. Chandler is ostensibly doing all this for Bronna, but he basically runs off, fucks Dorian, and then she's just off somewhere dying I guess? Dorian's entire character so far seems pointless except as a convenient way to link everyone together by having sex with them all.

I'm also a touch confused on Chandler's devil scene. It was just the devil using Chandler's appearance as a disguise, correct? Chandler had the weird scene with the wolves at the zoo, the refusal of the blood transfusion, and at the scene of the "ripper" murders (another plotline that hasn't gone anywhere), which made me think he was for sure going to be a werewolf. (An American Werewolf in London :haw:)

Eva Green has been very impressive though. Frankenstein's actor is great too, hopefully this lands him more work.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I haven't seen the last two episodes, but I imagine Dorian's portrait will contain some kind of reveal, like he's the head vamp or something.

Kazanir
Apr 28, 2010

WastedJoker posted:

I must have missed the significance of the pendant thing?

It was a pendant of St. Jude, patron saint of the hopeless and of lost causes. His Latin incantation basically amounts to saying, "Saint Jude, blessed apostle, servant of Jesus, ________" (I can't make out the last few words well enough to translate.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I'm also a touch confused on Chandler's devil scene. It was just the devil using Chandler's appearance as a disguise, correct?

Yeah, it was the Devil loving with her. Taking the form of someone she very much trusted. What better way to break her further. As that scene closes and she's laying her head on his chest, the camera goes outside the door where we see Sembene guarding the door, and downstairs where we see the real Ethan and Sir Malcolm in a room together.

Something that occurred to me about the Ethan/werewolf thing: we've got the wolves at the zoo incident, the flashbacks to the "Ripper" killings incident, the refusal to do a transfusion incident, the getting visibly upset over hearing about the "Ripper" killings incident, and now, maybe something else. When Ethan threatens Sir Malcolm, he says "I'll rip your throat out." That's a very werewolf thing to say. Given who he is and his occupation, it seems more realistic that he'd say "I'll put a bullet in your head." or something similar. There's also a werewolf in the opening credits, so there's that.

I really love this show. I haven't enjoyed a show like this this much in a long time. If Eva Green doesn't win an Emmy for her performances, something's fuckin wrong.

• Locked thread