Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Keith Stone posted:

I am updating my resume and I have a question that only someone from outside my head can answer.

I have been working in defense contracting for 22 years, but I have not had a single day of military service. I want to emphasize that I was able to excel without the benefit of military service plus I don't want my future employers to say "This guy is ex-military" and pigeon hole me.

What I was going to say was "No military service - I have excelled in this field without this benefit and learn quickly in new environments".

Am I making a mountain out of a molehill and will making this statement make me look like a douche? Does this have the effect I'm looking for which is that I will adapt quickly and be a benefit in very short order?

I think if you use "civilian contractor" as the title most people will get it, but that sentence is bad and I'm sure Dusting Duvet will come on by and tell you the attention-grabbing way to say it. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...

FrozenVent posted:

Why do you want to emphasis something you don't have? Just don't say you were in the military and people won't think you were in the military.

I guess I am trying to lead the reader around by the nose. It would probably stand out that I didn't include service dates or service experience.

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...
If I am expecting (and desiring) a bit of travel, does stating that I have already done so help or is that a given?

I have the line: Experienced Business Traveler: Asia, Europe, Central America

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Shugojin posted:

Yeah alright. I also caved bought a goon resume thing from DustingDuvet because I'm so tired of getting a 5% at best return rate on submissions so maybe that will change soon :unsmith:

I would recommend DustingDuvet's service if you are naive about how to properly construct a resume, but remember that it is still not guaranteed to get you a job. My original resume was garbage (I have a habit of undermining my own accomplishments and qualifications...) so the Resume to Interviews service was an incredible boon. I'm very satisfied with the service, and you might be too, but don't come from it expecting jobs to fall into your lap.

Despite being told by many potential employers/recruiters and career counselors that my resume is very strong I had still only received four responses out of approximately eighty applications, only two of which led to interviews. I am still unemployed. I hope I'm not bursting your bubble here. I just don't want your sense of self-worth to be crushed like mine was because I had this lofty expectation of RTI's service really wowing people and calling me for interviews nonstop. They can make your application look professional and eye-catching, but (barring the additional interview coaching service) that's about all they can do. The rest is on you!

Anyway, I have some questions of my own: First, can anyone provide an example comparison between a resume and a CV? I would like to construct one, but I'm not sure how comprehensive it should be or how to organize it. An example would be great.

Second, I'm finally getting around to swallowing my pride and applying for retail and food service positions because nobody wants to hire a junior ecologist around here. I'm running into problems providing references. I have worked in that industry before, but my last such job was five years ago and none of the people I worked under are with those stores anymore. All I have left are references from university that can't speak much for anything aside from research and teaching skills. Additionally, I feel incredibly embarrassed using them as references for retail gruntwork after working with them during an M.Sc. in an employable field. :sigh:

Any advice?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Oh yeah I don't think it's magic or anything but I have a tendency to underrepresent myself in writing so having someone else do it will circumvent that :v:

e: Also I'm nearly done learning SAS well enough that I'll be comfortable putting it on my skill list which will greatly help me in my chosen field of data analysis. Doesn't matter that I can do a poo poo ton of things in R, everybody wants SAS. Rassinfrassin industry standards.

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jun 17, 2014

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Mak0rz posted:

Anyway, I have some questions of my own: First, can anyone provide an example comparison between a resume and a CV? I would like to construct one, but I'm not sure how comprehensive it should be or how to organize it. An example would be great.
Generally speaking, a resume will be a one-page summary of your work experience, skills, and education that directly qualify you for the position for which you're applying. If you've been working in the field for a while, usually your 'education' section is limited to whatever degrees you hold, and nothing else. Most people will only need a resume for their applications.

Job applicants in academics, science, and medicine can benefit from having a CV. CVs usually expand on your academic background, especially your research and publications. CVs tend to be longer than one page since there's no way to fit your work experience, skills, education, research, and publications all on one page. I have a very short research/publication history and I still can't get everything on one page, even using a small font.

Since you have an MS and are in ecology, you would benefit from having a CV. But don't submit a CV to a food service job, that will just make them think you'll bolt as soon as you find something better.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Uranium 235 posted:

Generally speaking, a resume will be a one-page summary of your work experience, skills, and education that directly qualify you for the position for which you're applying. If you've been working in the field for a while, usually your 'education' section is limited to whatever degrees you hold, and nothing else. Most people will only need a resume for their applications.

Job applicants in academics, science, and medicine can benefit from having a CV. CVs usually expand on your academic background, especially your research and publications. CVs tend to be longer than one page since there's no way to fit your work experience, skills, education, research, and publications all on one page. I have a very short research/publication history and I still can't get everything on one page, even using a small font.

Yeah, I know all that, I just want too know how to organize it. For example, I have my teaching assistant experience condensed into a single two-year position on my resume. Should this be broken down into the individual courses/semesters I instructed? What about if I have no publications apart from my thesis?

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Mak0rz posted:

Yeah, I know all that, I just want too know how to organize it. For example, I have my teaching assistant experience condensed into a single two-year position on my resume. Should this be broken down into the individual courses/semesters I instructed? What about if I have no publications apart from my thesis?
I would break down your TA positions by course and put it under a header like "Teaching Experience". For each course, say which semesters you taught, and use bullet points to describe what you did.

For your thesis, I would put that with any other research experience you have under a header like "Research Experience" and later have a "Publications" header with just your thesis there, if it was actually peer-reviewed and published.

edit: if you Google "curriculum vitae with teaching experience" you will get a lot of hits with examples

Hand of the King
May 11, 2012
Can someone please give me advice on how to tell a company to hurry up with the hiring process to see where I am (and if they would make me an offer) because another company just offered a job to me?

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Hand of the King posted:

Can someone please give me advice on how to tell a company to hurry up with the hiring process to see where I am (and if they would make me an offer) because another company just offered a job to me?

Call your HR contact and say "I'm really excited about Chocolate Teapots, Inc., and the job sounds interesting and challenging. I'm getting in touch to check up on the status of the process because I've now got another offer outstanding and I need to be able to decide in X time. I'd likely prefer Chocolate Teapots, Inc., but I can't pass up on a sure thing." Companies deal with this all the time, it won't be even a little unusual.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Uranium 235 posted:

I would break down your TA positions by course and put it under a header like "Teaching Experience". For each course, say which semesters you taught, and use bullet points to describe what you did.

For your thesis, I would put that with any other research experience you have under a header like "Research Experience" and later have a "Publications" header with just your thesis there, if it was actually peer-reviewed and published.

edit: if you Google "curriculum vitae with teaching experience" you will get a lot of hits with examples

Excellent, thanks!

Hand of the King
May 11, 2012

Bisty Q. posted:

Call your HR contact and say "I'm really excited about Chocolate Teapots, Inc., and the job sounds interesting and challenging. I'm getting in touch to check up on the status of the process because I've now got another offer outstanding and I need to be able to decide in X time. I'd likely prefer Chocolate Teapots, Inc., but I can't pass up on a sure thing." Companies deal with this all the time, it won't be even a little unusual.

Awesome - thanks! I had already e-mailed the other job's recruiter regarding my status but it was formatted in the same way you posted. I feel much reassured now about the whole situation.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

Keith Stone posted:

If I am expecting (and desiring) a bit of travel, does stating that I have already done so help or is that a given?

Maybe it's better to state something you accomplished in Asia, something you accomplished in Europe, and something you accomplished in Central America?

R2ICustomerSupport
Dec 12, 2004

Keith Stone posted:

Follow the classic show don't tell advice you have heard countless times. Show your travel experience within the context of your experience. That may include simply listing study abroad experience, bullet points involving business travel within your job description (where you traveled and what you did, etc.), foreign languages you speak, volunteer experiences abroad, etc.

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...
Thanks for your help. I think I have the right words for that.

Next question: how do you capitalize on having a security clearance? I would assume an employer would want to know that I was checked out and am not a crook.

Just state it or do I need to explain it?

Richard Cabeza fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jun 18, 2014

R2ICustomerSupport
Dec 12, 2004

Keith Stone posted:

How about :
-Reconciled data from 13 Army warehouses in Korea to national database records.

-Implemented the Army logistics system in Panama and conducted 3 months of training and monitorship

-Developed training programs and conducted training for U.S. Forces in Europe

Kinda wordy but something like this?

That's closer to the idea but the grammar and details are poorly written. A better example would be to say "Developed and conducted five U.S. Army logistics training programs to units with up to 60 local Technicians on-site in two Western European countries." That sentence is still lacking the detail to make it impressive but is closer to what you should aim to write.

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...
Ok I can work on that. Thanks

R2ICustomerSupport
Dec 12, 2004

Keith Stone posted:

Thanks for your help. I think I have the right words for that.

Next question: how do you capitalize on having a security clearance? I would assume an employer would want to know that I was checked out and am not a crook.

Just state it or do I need to explain it?

That's a huge qualifications and belong at the top of your resume in most cases. I typically include that in a "Profile" or "Summary of Qualifications" section at the top of the resume underneath the sentence itself as a bullet point. Something along the lines of "DoD Security Clearance: TS/SCI-cleared."

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.
I'm in the process of trying to get my first grown up job, and I'm not sure how I should put my education on my resume.

I went to a four-year college majoring in physics from 2005-2010. I completed everything but my senior research project, which I had started on way back then but never came close to finishing. Some family stuff came up and instead of sticking around to finish it I went back to my hometown where I worked miscellaneous construction jobs until landing a job at a pizza place and stuck with that for the last two and a half years because it paid the bills and let me pursue my hobbies and live comfortably, etc.

But then enough people told me I'm a dumb idiot and should finish my degree, so I got in touch with some professors and went back and did the research, wrote the report and finally got my degree conferred this month.

The thing is, I was in enrolled in the senior project class back in 2010 and took and incomplete which after enough time became an F. Rather than have me re-enroll in the course to complete my degree, the chair of the physics department just did a grade change. So to any employer who pulls my transcript I think it will look like I finished everything back in 2010.

My question is: what do I put on my resume for the time spent in school? Should I just put 2005-2010 next to my degree information? Should I put June 2014? I feel like both are sort of dishonest. I'm not exactly a recent graduate, but I also didn't graduate back in 2010. I feel like "June 2014" might get me interviews for more entry-level positions than saying I finished in 2010, and if any of them ask why my transcript doesn't reflect that, I could explain it. I suppose there's also the option of something like "2005-2010,2014".

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
I'm sprucing up my resume for a renewed job search. I want to include a bullet point with my most recent job about having been given "kudos" (our recognition program was called "Key Kudos") for identifying a major issue with one of my company's vendors. Does this sound okay:

Recognized for identifying a major compliance issue with a vendor failing to provide completed documentation required by federal regulations, which allowed our vendor to identify and resolve an ongoing issue with their staff and software.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

SLAMMYsosa posted:

I'm in the process of trying to get my first grown up job, and I'm not sure how I should put my education on my resume.

I went to a four-year college majoring in physics from 2005-2010. I completed everything but my senior research project, which I had started on way back then but never came close to finishing. Some family stuff came up and instead of sticking around to finish it I went back to my hometown where I worked miscellaneous construction jobs until landing a job at a pizza place and stuck with that for the last two and a half years because it paid the bills and let me pursue my hobbies and live comfortably, etc.

But then enough people told me I'm a dumb idiot and should finish my degree, so I got in touch with some professors and went back and did the research, wrote the report and finally got my degree conferred this month.

The thing is, I was in enrolled in the senior project class back in 2010 and took and incomplete which after enough time became an F. Rather than have me re-enroll in the course to complete my degree, the chair of the physics department just did a grade change. So to any employer who pulls my transcript I think it will look like I finished everything back in 2010.

My question is: what do I put on my resume for the time spent in school? Should I just put 2005-2010 next to my degree information? Should I put June 2014? I feel like both are sort of dishonest. I'm not exactly a recent graduate, but I also didn't graduate back in 2010. I feel like "June 2014" might get me interviews for more entry-level positions than saying I finished in 2010, and if any of them ask why my transcript doesn't reflect that, I could explain it. I suppose there's also the option of something like "2005-2010,2014".
If it were me, I'd probably just put the month and year that's on the diploma. If any questions are raised, you can explain that you took a break from school for personal reasons and finished your degree later.

radlum
May 13, 2013
When asked how much I'd expect to be paid, should I be too conservative? I just got a call for a job offer I applied to and when asked, I said I was expecting an amount (about a third more than my previous job, since back then I hadn't gotten my law degree yet and now I have passed the bar and all the other stuff required to practice law) but I think the HR person wasn't that happy about the amount and now I'm paranoid about it.

Duxwig
Oct 21, 2005

My resume I used for my current job is horrible. Trash. Blinding. I'm trying to make a new one and looking at some of the example corrections throughout the thread to get an idea of how I wanted to list my job details but I'm not sure.

Duxwig fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jun 28, 2014

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask, but here goes.

In the time period between completing University and actually getting a job, is there anything that I could do that might make me a more attractive prospect for a potential employer?

Andre Le Fuckface
Oct 4, 2008

:pwm:

Pureauthor posted:

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask, but here goes.

In the time period between completing University and actually getting a job, is there anything that I could do that might make me a more attractive prospect for a potential employer?

Volunteer, travel, join a sports team. Literally anything other than doing gently caress all can be spun to look good

SleepDeprived
Jan 1, 2005

So very tired...
So I'm having a bitch of a time trying to transition from academia to entry-level industry (PR, social media, general communication stuff) work. I've been applying to jobs for months and earned exactly one interview, the result of which is pending, earned more or less because I was tipped off by an acquaintance who had a friend at the company and had someone to namedrop.

Besides facing the typical problems everyone has starting their career (so-called entry-level jobs that require years of previous experience, internships that request previous internships, etc.), I worry that as a recent recipient of a master's degree whose only real work experience is serving as a grad assistant, I'm over-educated and over-qualified for the the kind of jobs I need to build my resume--essentially, internships I happen to be competing for against young undergrads--and under-qualified for any positions above an internship.

Is there an eloquent way of articulating that, in spite of my advanced degree, I don't believe I'm "above" a low-paying internship?

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
I'm working on some thank you/follow-up notes from interviews I had earlier this week. Does anyone have a decent method for creating these? I've never made one that didn't make me feel like a huge tool but I also know jobs where it swung the role in my favor when I was deadlocked with another candidate.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

SleepDeprived posted:

So I'm having a bitch of a time trying to transition from academia to entry-level industry (PR, social media, general communication stuff) work. I've been applying to jobs for months and earned exactly one interview, the result of which is pending, earned more or less because I was tipped off by an acquaintance who had a friend at the company and had someone to namedrop.

Besides facing the typical problems everyone has starting their career (so-called entry-level jobs that require years of previous experience, internships that request previous internships, etc.), I worry that as a recent recipient of a master's degree whose only real work experience is serving as a grad assistant, I'm over-educated and over-qualified for the the kind of jobs I need to build my resume--essentially, internships I happen to be competing for against young undergrads--and under-qualified for any positions above an internship.

Is there an eloquent way of articulating that, in spite of my advanced degree, I don't believe I'm "above" a low-paying internship?

I think the short answer is "no, they don't want you." I've heard of people leaving advanced degrees off their resumes but I haven't heard anyone claim it worked for them. I'm in a bit of a similar position. There are lots of open intermediate-level positions that require 2-3 years of entry level experience and would prefer an advanced degree in ____. Then the very entry level positions they want experience in at the same company will say (sometimes in bold) "entry level - no advanced degrees accepted."

From my research and ongoing struggles, I don't think you're going to transition from academia through HR anywhere. You need to network and convince people of your value since the only job you're likely to get (and, to be honest, the one you want) is one created especially for you.

SleepDeprived
Jan 1, 2005

So very tired...
That's what I was afraid of.

I assumed it wasn't a coincidence that a lot of internships I've seen outright require that the applicant be a current student.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
So how strict are companies usually about that 'Minimum 1 year work experience' thing? Can I give those a shot as a fresh graduate or would I be wasting my time?

Edit: And I guess that question can be expanded to 'What if I miss out on 1 or 2 of the stated job requirements?' Can I still go for it?

And if I give tuition independently and want to be a tutor/teacher, can I put that down as 'work experience' that they're asking for>

R2ICustomerSupport
Dec 12, 2004

Pureauthor posted:

So how strict are companies usually about that 'Minimum 1 year work experience' thing? Can I give those a shot as a fresh graduate or would I be wasting my time?

Edit: And I guess that question can be expanded to 'What if I miss out on 1 or 2 of the stated job requirements?' Can I still go for it?

And if I give tuition independently and want to be a tutor/teacher, can I put that down as 'work experience' that they're asking for>

Job listings are often a wish list. Exceptions would be jobs that require professional licenses and that sort like accountants. Otherwise, if all the job requires is that you email them a resume and cover letter this should not take more than two minutes of your time.

I don't understand what you mean when you say you "give tuition". Can you rephrase that.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Can you elaborate on the cover letter thing? You say they're easy, but other advice I've gotten on cover letters says it should be a passionate and engaged illustration of why you want this job, not just any job. I find writing cover letters the most time-consuming part of my job search besides actually going for interviews.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Pureauthor posted:

1 year experience is entry level. If your degree is in a field closely related to whatever the job is, it sorts of count as experience (If a job doesn't require a degree). If you have done internships, they count as experience. Tutoring counts as work experience. Missing out on one or two requirements isn't a huge deal if they aren't huge requirements (E.G. if they're asking for certificates you don't have, things like that.)

Also you will never get a job you don't apply to*, so apply.

*Until you're well-established enough in your field that people randomly offer you poo poo.

radlum
May 13, 2013
I had an interview on friday and the interviewer was the teacher assistant in a class I took in Law School, around 2009. I wasn't sure if I should mention that I was in that class (I could have, since I really liked it and got a good grade in that course), would it have been innappropriate?

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

radlum posted:

I had an interview on friday and the interviewer was the teacher assistant in a class I took in Law School, around 2009. I wasn't sure if I should mention that I was in that class (I could have, since I really liked it and got a good grade in that course), would it have been innappropriate?

No, it would've been appropriate and frankly they probably found it a little weird you didn't mention it (assuming that they remembered you, which is... likely?)

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

From a career fair a guy I spoke to in a rather long line had earlier on spoken to a recruiter he remembered teaching. (More specifically failing for never showing up so it was a bit awkward and soured the guy on that company. :v: )

I'd say if you brought it up at the beginning and said "oh hey, you taught my class in ____ back in ____" otherwise leave it.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

In rereading my cover letter to prepare for my upcoming interview, I realized that I messed up some wording, and have perhaps doomed myself.

I wrote:

quote:

Many of the more interesting requests require the use of software packages such as ILLiad.

When I meant was "like" or "similar to", not "I use this specific software at my current job", which is probably how they read it, as familiarity with it was one of their preferred qualifications. I am familiar with ILLiad through continuing education, web tutorials, reading the manual, etc., could use it without a problem within a day or so of getting familiar with their set up, and am perfectly qualified for all other aspects of the job.

How hosed am I? Is there any way to explain this without looking like a huge liar who exaggerated his qualifications to get an interview?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Spoilers Below posted:

When I meant was "like" or "similar to", not "I use this specific software at my current job", which is probably how they read it, as familiarity with it was one of their preferred qualifications. I am familiar with ILLiad through continuing education, web tutorials, reading the manual, etc., could use it without a problem within a day or so of getting familiar with their set up, and am perfectly qualified for all other aspects of the job.

How hosed am I? Is there any way to explain this without looking like a huge liar who exaggerated his qualifications to get an interview?

You're not at all, especially since you feel confident that you could pick it up pretty quickly. If they mention it, just explain the situation, that you didn't mean to use that wording but that you're familiar with it through a, b, c. Then, if you use software similar to it, explain what software you actually use and how it's similar, etc.

You're absolutely fine. They're not going to make a hiring decision based on that alone.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

So I'm trying to get my resume up in ship shape and I have no clue what the heck to even do. I've mostly been in the retail area with some office work sprinkled in (thanks to temp agencies) but I kinda wanted to make the resume spark up a bit more then how it is.

The first agency I worked at (OfficeTeam) told me my resume was fine, but I have my doubts about it now. Here's the link if anyone wants to check it and give me a pointer or something: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByCCDlZn3hQPM1duSTlxelVKa3c/edit?usp=sharing

In the mean time I'm trying to look online and see what the best practices may be, but it seems as though resume opinions are all over the place :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R2ICustomerSupport
Dec 12, 2004

Skeezy posted:

So I'm trying to get my resume up in ship shape and I have no clue what the heck to even do. I've mostly been in the retail area with some office work sprinkled in (thanks to temp agencies) but I kinda wanted to make the resume spark up a bit more then how it is.

The first agency I worked at (OfficeTeam) told me my resume was fine, but I have my doubts about it now. Here's the link if anyone wants to check it and give me a pointer or something: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByCCDlZn3hQPM1duSTlxelVKa3c/edit?usp=sharing

In the mean time I'm trying to look online and see what the best practices may be, but it seems as though resume opinions are all over the place :smith:

There really is a lot of conflicting advice out there so I can understand how confusing it feels to create a resume. You are at least aware that your resume can be better. I hope this helps.

Goon Approved Resume and CV Writing Service
http://bit.ly/ForumsCritique
My service will get you job interviews!