Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

univbee posted:

does not mean that we know how to unfuck some sort of weird formatting issues they're having with their document (and also that it's not our job to teach them how to use the program they need to use for their job).

Yeah, but all too often I have ended up needing to do things that would qualify as "doing someone else's job".

Because hey, they just can't be bothered to learn how to do their job properly.

See: millions of Excel spreadsheets and Word documents that should have been databases of some description.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

GreenNight posted:

That's basically my girlfriend. She is an excellent programmer but knows absolutely nothing about anything else concerning computers or IT.

It's really hard to be an excellent developer if you can't do basic socket programming because you don't understand network concepts.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
My support of programs ends when the program starts successfully. Don't know how to make formulas in Excel? Welp, guess you shouldn't have listed 'Excel proficiency' on your resume!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

go3 posted:

My support of programs ends when the program starts successfully. Don't know how to make formulas in Excel? Welp, guess you shouldn't have listed 'Excel proficiency' on your resume!

This is exactly how I feel. I spent a summer while working for my father making increasingly complex Excel formulas that saved me less time than they took to make just so I could learn it, but there is no way I'm going to build you an accounting spreadsheet if your job title is accountant.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

go3 posted:

Yup, this is our policy as well (although obviously if there's a demonstrable technical problem within the program we'll fix it), and as annoying as things can sometimes get, my boss is awesome and not afraid to be blunt with customers should the need arise. One customer was hoping to save a few bucks by buying a $200 Windows 8 upgrade (plus our labor costs for installation) for his 2005 shitbox. My boss showed him another of his exact PC model on eBay with a BIN of $35 and asked if that really seemed wiser than just getting a new PC outright and that shut him up.

New-ShitPost
Jul 25, 2011

Looks like they're not alone

quote:

Today on 2014-06-19 at 12:24:54 UTC, within a two-minute span, all of our AWS instances for Websolr and Bonsai were terminated. We're considering our AWS account as compromised and responding accordingly. Service recovery efforts are also underway, updates and more precise ETAs to follow.

Karanth
Dec 25, 2003
I need to finish Xenogears sometime, damn it.

evol262 posted:

It's really hard to be an excellent developer if you can't do basic socket programming because you don't understand network concepts.

Yes. You may not need to do basic socket programming in your day to day but at some point your software runs on an operating system running on hardware. You have to be extremely siloed into a role for this not to bite you/limit your career prospects eventually, or be a scientist/analyst who also writes code in the course of your work rather than a software engineer.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

It's really weird when someone calls and wants instructions on installing drivers.
Well, that's not so weird, what's weird is when some it-professional is panicking that they can't get the computer ready for their customer because they don't know how to install drivers.

It's easy, go to the homepage, click on the support thingy, click on the drivers download page, write your model or serial number and download the fucker and then install. How the gently caress are you responsible for preparing computers for customers if you can't even loving install some drivers?

Another weird thins is when customers call me asking about PXE or SCCM.
Like I know poo poo about those. Yeah, I know everything about these things that's why I'm a goddamn first line phone monkey. Then they get mad when I say it's out of my area of expertise but I can elevate.

I should try to get some helpdesk job or something, I'm only starting to become on expert on what parts to replace on what model when some weird issue appears.
Your usb 3 port isn't working on your laptop? Yeah, lemme send a tech with a new rubber foot, the one you have is defective and presses too hard on the screw hole.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

:suspense:

Multiple people being dumb with their aws credentials / spear phishing or flaw in the aws console ?

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

organburner posted:

Another weird thins is when customers call me asking about PXE or SCCM.
Like I know poo poo about those. Yeah, I know everything about these things that's why I'm a goddamn first line phone monkey. Then they get mad when I say it's out of my area of expertise but I can elevate.

The nutty thing is that I LOVE when people elevate my calls quickly if it is outside of their expertise. I hate wasting time while someone umms and ahhs for 10 minutes then escalates. People are weird.

iamnotcreative
Jul 28, 2002
What, you expected something creative here?

ConfusedUs posted:

I have to say, Crypto[whatever] has done more to promote the need for good backups than any number of legitimate efforts.

Back your poo poo up son. We ain't seen nothing yet.

Oh we do; it's 2.4 TB of data we've got on tape so restoring is kind of a bitch.

For bonus comedy the ransom is to be paid in Bitcoins so it was amusing to watch my boss and the head of IT infrastructure scramble to find a way to buy them when we were thinking of paying up.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

iamnotcreative posted:

Oh we do; it's 2.4 TB of data we've got on tape so restoring is kind of a bitch.

For bonus comedy the ransom is to be paid in Bitcoins so it was amusing to watch my boss and the head of IT infrastructure scramble to find a way to buy them when we were thinking of paying up.

They'd actually rather pay than restore from backup?

That's crazy talk to me. These people are criminals; there's no guarantee that any particular variant will /actually/ decrypt your stuff. The original did--which was pure genius on the author's part--but if you have some variant, who knows?

I'm of the opinion that a backup doesn't exist unless it's restorable in timely manner. If doing a restore is so unwieldy and time-consuming that paying criminals is the better solution, it might be a good idea to reconfigure your backups or find some new software.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
If you pay them, you'll just get these in the mail next:

You just know it's some dork who did this since it's a formal NOTICE OF EXTORTION and just nerd poo poo.

"If you don't give us bitcoins, we're gonna...write bad reviews about you and call the feds about random stuff!"

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Stanos posted:

If you pay them, you'll just get these in the mail next:

You just know it's some dork who did this since it's a formal NOTICE OF EXTORTION and just nerd poo poo.

"If you don't give us bitcoins, we're gonna...write bad reviews about you and call the feds about random stuff!"

hahahah If you don't comply with our blackmail we'll commit traceable federal crimes that will inconvenience you and send us to jail for decades!

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

evol262 posted:

It's been a long time since I did non-academic programming*, but isn't this the sort of thing that should be provided by standard libraries? If you're re-implementing stuff at that low a level, something is very wrong.

(*: I'm in sysadmin/IT project management now and I find it hard to think of bash scripting as programming.)

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Javid posted:

If I could convince her to trust any third party service whatsoever I wouldn't be posting here about how dumb she is.

Right now I'm using a portable app to back up her /Mom folder to a flash drive, and I'm gonna run an incremental every time I come over here. And maybe she'll copy something over to her flash drive someday if she gets brave enough.

Why not just slap an external drive on it and then set up a schedule for Windows backup? Her stuff gets backed up to a disk, she doesn't have to do anything since it's scheduled to run automatically and it's not "The Cloud".

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Emushka posted:

found a dev guy that doesn't know poo poo about "IT" and I mean nothing. domain login, basic tcp/ip stuff, firewalls etc. nada.

I've heard rumours about them, but always thought they were a fictional species kinda like dragons and witches or dwarfs. I was wrong. they are out there. they make more money than you.

horror!

It's not that hard to not know about things you don't ever have to deal with.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

<innocent whistling while wandering over to our Admin/C-Level offices>

:black101: "By the way, QI, you should take a look at some of the items in the Templates shared folder. There's things like that pre-draft rolled-back form, and your FY 2013-14 Roadmap and such."

:aaa: (People really can turn pale like the writers say; this was just a little - I've seen "nearly fainting" albedo changes before.)

:black101: "Yup, thought y'all might be interested there. Uhm, I would ask that you present this as "something you found while looking for some other document in that share", if you don't mind. I think :byodame:, :downs: and :chiefsay: are already annoyed enough by me on this matter."

:aaa: <vaguely nods while opening documents, looking more and more dismayed>

:black101: <exit whistling, :smug:ly>

Your stories about this haven't made any sense, and all the emoticons are not helping. I'm not trying to be a dick - this last one makes it sound like we're all missing out on some schadenfreude if it were more clear. Maybe it's not meant to be told as a dialog.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

sfwarlock posted:

It's been a long time since I did non-academic programming*, but isn't this the sort of thing that should be provided by standard libraries? If you're re-implementing stuff at that low a level, something is very wrong.

(*: I'm in sysadmin/IT project management now and I find it hard to think of bash scripting as programming.)

Agreed with this, I've done socket programming before but it was a long time ago when there weren't many standards. If you are writing low-level code to access a web service you are probably doing it wrong.

dox
Mar 4, 2006
I also read that and had no loving idea what the hell he is talking about. I'm assuming everyone else had the same reaction.

On another note, Intuit support is loving awful. 30 minutes on hold with 30 second music on repeat followed by a transfer and an endless hold that I am currently on with no ETA...

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

dox posted:

I also read that and had no loving idea what the hell he is talking about. I'm assuming everyone else had the same reaction.

On another note, Intuit support is loving awful. 30 minutes on hold with 30 second music on repeat followed by a transfer and an endless hold that I am currently on with no ETA...

I can't stand quickbooks or intuit. For a piece of software that is used extensively their support is the worst thing I've ever seen and the program is buggy as poo poo.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

dox posted:

My read is that they shared documents that really shouldn't be shared.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

m.hache posted:

I can't stand quickbooks or intuit. For a piece of software that is used extensively their support is the worst thing I've ever seen and the program is buggy as poo poo.

Do you guys in :911: have other options? They are literally it in Canada (especially Quebec). :smithicide:

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

univbee posted:

Do you guys in :911: have other options? They are literally it in Canada (especially Quebec). :smithicide:

I'm in Canada. So :canada:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

m.hache posted:

I'm in Canada. So :canada:

:(:respek:

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Erwin posted:

Your stories about this haven't made any sense, and all the emoticons are not helping. I'm not trying to be a dick - this last one makes it sound like we're all missing out on some schadenfreude if it were more clear. Maybe it's not meant to be told as a dialog.

QI has mainly not been involved in all this so far. However, I've had to discuss whether the really obviously WIP document that was included in the "approved" stack was actually approved for use. (gently caress no.) :downs: supervisor took the entire set of 30+ attachments and dumped them into an open network share, including a whole stack of not-for-general-use/distro documentation. I went ahead and directly informed my QI point-of-contact of this, since a lot of it was QI-related, and since my own supervisory chain is being pants-on-head retarded.

Why *I'm* the one in the middle of this is a bigger mystery. I'm on the keep-poo poo-running level of stuff, I have exactly dick to do with form creating and revision. I guess I'm the only one that can recognise obsolete versions - maybe everyone else slept through the organization-wide mandatory meetings when the auditable ones got changed.

I think the base problem stems from my supervisory chain and that nurse manager - they all came from a smaller healthcare org that my org acquired, which was something like 10% our size and not dealing with the same specifics in regional/state/Fed funding and operation. Perhaps that org was fine with yippee-skippy-here's-changes, and letting the nursing supervisor be in charge of anything just because she touched it once...

I'm beginning to think the actual problem is that I'm in the minority, because I actually give a poo poo about keeping things running properly, instead of making things work easier for myself by passing the buck/letting someone else do my work/finding someone to blame.

As for my communications skills, they suck rocks. :v: Y'all are lucky I figured out how to work the magic elf box on the desk, else I'd still be poking it with my sharp stick and hooting.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

m.hache posted:

You are honestly better off having a Quickbooks consultant on retainer, they get special support queues. And yes, the program has sucked for a looooong time.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

mllaneza posted:

You are honestly better off having a Quickbooks consultant on retainer, they get special support queues. And yes, the program has sucked for a looooong time.

The fact that this is even an option pisses me off.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

mllaneza posted:

This is the way to go. It sucks because some businesses are in that painful spot between to big for a simple Quickbooks setup and to small for a full fledged accounting software suite like great plains/microsoft dynamics and whatever else is out there.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

univbee posted:

Great Plains? I honestly can't tell you a thing about this, I know its what our finance people use in lieu of any other kind of financial software. It seems to 'just work'.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

BaseballPCHiker posted:

This is the way to go. It sucks because some businesses are in that painful spot between to big for a simple Quickbooks setup and to small for a full fledged accounting software suite like great plains/microsoft dynamics and whatever else is out there.

We use both Dynamics/NAV/whatever the hell it's called and Quickbooks. They're planning on switching over to Dynamics fully "eventually".

The best was when they switched to a hosted Dynamics server (from the local one I set up) without telling me and still ask me to support it.

Also seriously people, don't hit reply all to an all staff e-mail. Please.

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jun 19, 2014

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Sirotan posted:

Great Plains? I honestly can't tell you a thing about this, I know its what our finance people use in lieu of any other kind of financial software. It seems to 'just work'.

Canada has its own versions of all the software due to the different way our taxes work compared to the U.S., as does Simply Accounting (a.k.a. Simple Comptable in :quebec:) and you pretty much have to buy each year's version due to tax rule changes making the older versions unusable except for historical data. The fact that they might kill XP support next year might do more to get people off it than anything else, currently most of our from-XP upgrades are due to Antidote ($99 French grammar check software).

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

pr0digal posted:

Also seriously people, don't hit reply all to an all staff e-mail. Please.

"Please take me off this list"

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

sfwarlock posted:

It was more of a general comments about the kinds of systems-level things you may have to do as a developer.

I mean, yes, socket.h (or your choice of libraries for your language of choice) means that you're not doing things raw. And you may not have to care what O_READONLY means. But somewhere in your workflow, there's required systems-level knowledge to be an "excellent" developer.

monster on a stick posted:

Agreed with this, I've done socket programming before but it was a long time ago when there weren't many standards. If you are writing low-level code to access a web service you are probably doing it wrong.
Nobody's talking about using raw sockets and rewriting HTTP from the ground up. But some of us do stuff that's somewhat more complex than accessing webservices. Not all developers do, granted, but there's a vast middle ground between MEAN developer and kernel developer where knowing how things actually work is helpful, even if you're not actually opening raw sockets.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
If you hate Quickbooks (and you should) you probably haven't had to support a 1980s version of Peachtree. :gonk:

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Dick Trauma posted:

If you hate Quickbooks (and you should) you probably haven't had to support a 1980s version of Peachtree. :gonk:

I've made a rule to not support software that predates my birth.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

univbee posted:

Canada has its own versions of all the software due to the different way our taxes work compared to the U.S., as does Simply Accounting (a.k.a. Simple Comptable in :quebec:) and you pretty much have to buy each year's version due to tax rule changes making the older versions unusable except for historical data. The fact that they might kill XP support next year might do more to get people off it than anything else, currently most of our from-XP upgrades are due to Antidote ($99 French grammar check software).

I never understood why the CRA and RQ don't create their own tax software and pass it out free to people to do their taxes. Australia provides their own, free. tax software and it is really simple to use. It was one of the things that confused the hell out of me when I moved to Canada.

m.hache posted:

Wish I could do that. I guess I could say "I don't support anything that was made before I graduated highschool" but it doesn't sound as cool.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

evol262 posted:

It was more of a general comments about the kinds of systems-level things you may have to do as a developer.

I mean, yes, socket.h (or your choice of libraries for your language of choice) means that you're not doing things raw. And you may not have to care what O_READONLY means. But somewhere in your workflow, there's required systems-level knowledge to be an "excellent" developer.

Nobody's talking about using raw sockets and rewriting HTTP from the ground up. But some of us do stuff that's somewhat more complex than accessing webservices. Not all developers do, granted, but there's a vast middle ground between MEAN developer and kernel developer where knowing how things actually work is helpful, even if you're not actually opening raw sockets.

I think the problem is statements like your earlier one, "It's really hard to be an excellent developer if you can't..." How can you define excellence for a profession as broad as "developer?" I'm not trying to pin you down, I just think that everyone's standards are going to be colored by what they themselves already know intimately. IT people work with concepts on a daily basis that many developers never need to touch. To the IT guys a concept is basic because they are applying it constantly in their jobs, and they have a hard time understanding why a developer wouldn't know it. The developer doesn't use it on a daily basis is why.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Migishu posted:

I never understood why the CRA and RQ don't create their own tax software and pass it out free to people to do their taxes. Australia provides their own, free. tax software and it is really simple to use. It was one of the things that confused the hell out of me when I moved to Canada.

Probably industry lobbying, same as why the IRS in the US doesn't get to just put out a free full featured tax preparing site for the average filer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canis minor
May 4, 2011

m.hache posted:

I wish I made the same vow when I was at uni (gently caress you Object Ada and silly claims of people saying that I'll have commercial experience of using you).

• Locked thread