Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Phoon posted:

This is what I'd do but probably with green instead. I love bright green.

haha - I typed that bit first then moved the text around and got excited about recommending web color matching sites :)

'pain' indeed! Actually I use tiny 6mm dice for my pain tokens. drat those things are hard to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Helmholz posted:

I recently unearthed my 3rd edition WH40K starter set that I never really opened other than to flip through the books. I want to start building and painting the models.

Any recommendations on specific paints to buy for dark eldar and space marines? I don't have any paint yet but would like to order some before I finish building these guys.

I love that set! It's how I got started with the game. It all depends on what you want the models to look like. Look through at the various Space Marine chapters and see if there's one you really like the look/feel of. If there isn't, make your own! The Dark Eldar are the old Gary Morley sculpts though, and they don't jive with the modern models at all. Space Marines have since had a new kit, but they'll look just fine next to each other since it just adds a little more variety to those existing designs.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

Helmholz posted:

3rd edition WH40K starter set

Ohhh the memories. :unsmith: Same as SRM, that's how I got started with the game. My brother won a set through a FLGS' contest, and then bought some 2nd ed Tyranid models. I think I read the rule book cover to cover at least 20 times.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I found the 3rd ed starter set at a Historicon flea market for $20, new in shrink. The guy said I could keep the models and throw out the rulebook if I wanted. I didn't actually play the game until a few years later, but I read through that rule book over and over and over again. The photography in there is so good, and I pored over spreads like this endlessly:

When 10 years later I could finally make a Valhallan army to match, it was super gratifying.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

In addition to your Valhallans, Genestealers and Ultramarines, THANK YOU for using the correct word here.

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

I like how this is going. :)

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

My Love for You is like a Truck

krushgroove posted:

Basically it comes down to two questions:
1. what brand (Citadel/GW, Vallejo, Badger Minitaire, Reaper, Formula P3) can you find locally, or are you happy to order online?
2. what colors do you like?

I was able to find a couple of complementary color schemes I liked using the scheme designer you linked. I'm fine with using any brand of paint, so long as I can order it online. I've heard bad things about GW paints drying out within a year and they seem expensive. I have an unopened box of Testors acrylics but a lot of them seem too glossy for miniatures.

Any recommendations on where to order paints online?

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

My Love for You is like a Truck

SRM posted:

I love that set! It's how I got started with the game. It all depends on what you want the models to look like. Look through at the various Space Marine chapters and see if there's one you really like the look/feel of. If there isn't, make your own! The Dark Eldar are the old Gary Morley sculpts though, and they don't jive with the modern models at all. Space Marines have since had a new kit, but they'll look just fine next to each other since it just adds a little more variety to those existing designs.

I told a coworker of mine who also Warhams of my discovery, he grinned and said I'd be using a throwback squad the next time we play. :downs:

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Helmholz posted:

To be honest, I used ebay for many of my paint purchases until recently. Sellers just list a price and you pick send of 5, 10, 20 or more paints. I'm partial to Minitaire or Vallejo (both have GW equivalent colors), haven't had or heard of any issues about the paints drying up or anything.

And I'm glad that link helped! I have an artist's color wheel but the web sites like the have much more variety.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Helmholz posted:

I was able to find a couple of complementary color schemes I liked using the scheme designer you linked. I'm fine with using any brand of paint, so long as I can order it online. I've heard bad things about GW paints drying out within a year and they seem expensive. I have an unopened box of Testors acrylics but a lot of them seem too glossy for miniatures.

Don't use Testors paints. Please for the love of god, don't. They're really glossy and made for model cars and stuff. They're also enamels typically.

GW's paints are a little pricey, but not too bad (especially when you can get them for 20% off through the Warstore or a few similar online retailers) and I've only had paints dry out on me after a long time or if I did a bad job closing the pot. I've been using the same pot of Skull White for 4-5 years now. I just add a drop of water to it and shake it every time I break it out. I've had choice few paints I actually used regularly dry out on me. Vallejo and Army Painter are also good, but 95% of my stuff is GW paint.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

I have a couple of bottles of GW paint that are from the mid 90s and still viable. Oh Chestnut wash, you wonder, you.

gilljoy
May 3, 2009
Anyone have any recommendations of Resin bases for Trollbloods?

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

gilljoy posted:

Anyone have any recommendations of Resin bases for Trollbloods?

I've really liked the Secret Weapons miniatures swampy bases and basing kit for my (unfinished) swamp trolls, and if your blue skinned-trollmen have long rifles poking through marsh grass it would look pretty spiffy :coolfish:

Takkaryx
Oct 17, 2007

Bunnies (very useful) Scientific Facts: Bunnies never close doors
Where do you guys buy Minitaire paint? The Warstore doesn't stock it, and now I am lost and confused :ohdear:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Takkaryx posted:

Where do you guys buy Minitaire paint? The Warstore doesn't stock it, and now I am lost and confused :ohdear:

http://www.amazon.com/Badger-Air-Brush-Company-Minitaire-Retarder/dp/B00AX5H86G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1403036355&sr=8-1&keywords=minitaire

edit: If you haven't tried Minitaire before I would be willing to mail out a sample. I have the whole set and a couple extra bottles I could portion out to some people to try. I don't mind being a brand ambassador for this, but it has some properties that aren't entirely predictable. For example if you paint minitaire on top of Vallejo Model Air metallics, it pools up like water on Rain-X. I have no idea why but it caused me significant frustration before I figured it out.

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 17, 2014

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:

enri posted:

*poke*

Here you go, Charadon Granite on the left, P3 Thornwood Green on the right

Massive huge version -> http://i.imgur.com/TBgWbXz.jpg

In a nutshell, you can see a difference between the two but it's the closest 'out of the pot' match I've found to date. It goes on much lighter too but darkens down as it dries out.

Just saw this today. Thank you kindly for doing the comparison! :tipshat:

I'm going to have to pick up some now, and hopefully preserve my stash of Charadon Granite even longer.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
Air compressor experiment: mixed.

I tried hooking up an old-ish air hose (plastic, similar to most 1/8" braided types) from the air compressor to the regulator. While all the brass adapters I bought today fit, there was a great deal of air leakage thanks to the air hose, so I had to abandon it.

I then left the adapters where they were and screwed the regulator on, and it threaded on the right way! Normally it threads upside-down, but with four adapters hooked up to the compressor it gave enough room to twist on in the proper position. Still some air leakage, but nothing I couldn't fix with some teflon tape and a wrench. I think I might gave overtightened the hex nut on the compressor itself, but I didn't hear any air hissing so I'm going to leave it the hell alone for now.

I'd still like to have a hose between the tank and regulator, but I might have to resort to getting a better air hose and maybe some quick disconnect fittings. Which might not be a bad thing in the end, as it means I can break the whole system down and transport it if need be.

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

Slimnoid posted:

Also I have a butt load of barrels left over from casting.

I got my barrels yesterday. They're pretty great. :3: I'm going to have fun painting a toxic waste dump objective marker or some such.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Iris of Ether posted:

I got my barrels yesterday. They're pretty great. :3: I'm going to have fun painting a toxic waste dump objective marker or some such.

Glad to hear it! I'd love to see the final product(s).

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

krushgroove posted:

To be honest, I used ebay for many of my paint purchases until recently. Sellers just list a price and you pick send of 5, 10, 20 or more paints. I'm partial to Minitaire or Vallejo (both have GW equivalent colors), haven't had or heard of any issues about the paints drying up or anything.

And I'm glad that link helped! I have an artist's color wheel but the web sites like the have much more variety.

Another vote for ebay! I use it for practically everything.

Also I'm a big fan of P3 and Vallejo paints. Really, you should just pick any of the GW alternatives with the colors and consistency that you like.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

I'm getting pretty close to finishing my swamp bases for some gator-men and was wondering about some specifics regarding water effect/realistic water.

I bought some Lichen that I was planning on using as plant-matter to rest in and above some swampy water effects on the base. Do I add the water effect, then place and details into it? Or do I place in the lichen and pour the water effect around it to let it fill in?

paint talk: I've always used p3 but have started buying Vallejo when I can. I've been finding it extremely easy to work with, particularly compared to gw.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

BULBASAUR posted:

Another vote for ebay! I use it for practically everything.

There used to be a guy on ebay who did 2ml sample pots of vallejo colours, you'd pay like £5 and get 10 different paints to try out, was quite cool. Guess the royal mail have thoroughly poo poo on that with their shipping rules :(

I always just order a couple of pots of paint each time I order models online, makes it feel less like forking out for a butt load of paint if I drip feed my supplies like that.. still, no chance I'm running out of anything I need any time soon so no mad rush to replace paint either.

..barring foundation paints that is :sigh:

Yeti Fiasco
Aug 19, 2010
So my 10 Tartaros termis arrived, I can't wait to paint them up in vibrant green. :3:

I did promise myself I would finish that rhino first though.....

Lethemonster posted:

Someone PMed me before you posted but when I did out my other ork stuff / if I ever find them in this mess I'll give you first pass on them.

I will be painting up at baneblade as a commission soon and hopefully doing some photos of it. My painting standard is much better than the bomber now. Lots of stippling on damage with dried out, clumpy sponges to start with though.

drat, I'm still really interested in how you did the weathering though.

Yeti Fiasco fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jun 18, 2014

Takkaryx
Oct 17, 2007

signalnoise posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Badger-Air-Brush-Company-Minitaire-Retarder/dp/B00AX5H86G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1403036355&sr=8-1&keywords=minitaire

edit: If you haven't tried Minitaire before I would be willing to mail out a sample. I have the whole set and a couple extra bottles I could portion out to some people to try. I don't mind being a brand ambassador for this, but it has some properties that aren't entirely predictable. For example if you paint minitaire on top of Vallejo Model Air metallics, it pools up like water on Rain-X. I have no idea why but it caused me significant frustration before I figured it out.

I'm trying to get a color scheme down for some camo'd Tau, could you do me a huge favor and take a picture of Nautilus Blue, Badger Fur and Dusty Ground next to each other? It's hard to tell if dusty ground is more green-grey or blue-grey, and I have no idea how dark Nautilus Blue actually is when compared to Royal Blood.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Takkaryx posted:

I'm trying to get a color scheme down for some camo'd Tau, could you do me a huge favor and take a picture of Nautilus Blue, Badger Fur and Dusty Ground next to each other? It's hard to tell if dusty ground is more green-grey or blue-grey, and I have no idea how dark Nautilus Blue actually is when compared to Royal Blood.

Royal blood, nautilus blue, badger fur, dusty ground

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jun 19, 2014

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I finished the first Terminator squad for Space Hulk. I decided to do Crimson Fists, since even though they share a similar palette to the Genestealers and don't contrast as nicely as Blood Angels, they're one of my favorite chapters:

"The enemy besets us, brothers!"

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Need a color suggestion for the mask on my almost done wrestle-gator:

I was thinking along these lines, but I'm all ears for suggestions. If anyone has some specific paint suggestions that would be great too. Ideally I want it to look professional.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Crosspostin' WFB progress:
Finally finished up my Plague Furnace.

One Warp Lightning Cannon and another 25 Clanrats and I'll have a fully painted army! Still need to base everything though, which will be its own special hell.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Rad

Particularly like the green on the robes

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
That furnace is baller, Pierre. What's the story with the base or lack thereof?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

SRM posted:

That furnace is baller, Pierre. What's the story with the base or lack thereof?

Just hasn't been tacked on yet. I'm actually walking outside to go grab some basing materials shortly and then I'll get it tacked on before I leave for the day. I've decided to go with a desolate grey/black dirt to emphasize the deathworld-like environment the Skaven tend to prefer and Florida "soil" works wonders for that.

Edit:
SOILED

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jun 19, 2014

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

w00tmonger posted:

I'm getting pretty close to finishing my swamp bases for some gator-men and was wondering about some specifics regarding water effect/realistic water.

place in the lichen and pour the water effect around it to let it fill in?

This one

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

SRM posted:

"The enemy besets us, brothers!"

Until your comment, I never considered that the BA's were likely chosen as the opponents for the 'Stealers in SH due to the color contrast, but I totally see that now... Are you using Secret Weapon bases for those?

SRM posted:

I got around to painting some of the Space Hulk set that my dad bought in 1989:
I bought my set then too. Sigh. I feel old. :corsair:

Takkaryx
Oct 17, 2007

signalnoise posted:

Royal blood, nautilus blue, badger fur, dusty ground

Wow, so there is pretty much no difference between royal and nautilus. Either way, this is perfect, thank you so much. This will be awesome for urban camo.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Takkaryx posted:

Wow, so there is pretty much no difference between royal and nautilus. Either way, this is perfect, thank you so much. This will be awesome for urban camo.

They're pretty different. Nautilus is a slightly desaturated dark blue-green whereas royal blood is a very saturated dark blue. I'm a little middling on the Minitaire as a whole, but the blues are gorgeous.

When I first got my minitare set I made color swatches for everything. Here's the relevant secton:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

They're pretty different. Nautilus is a slightly desaturated dark blue-green whereas royal blood is a very saturated dark blue. I'm a little middling on the Minitaire as a whole, but the blues are gorgeous.

When I first got my minitare set I made color swatches for everything. Here's the relevant secton:

I should probably do this

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

I use it constantly. It's absolutely worth the time investment.

Vel
Jun 7, 2014

I'm trying to decide on what paints to buy as well. That Minitaire set looks really nice but some of the reviews were saying that it's too glossy. How much of a problem is that really? I also own an airbrush that I used briefly about 5 years ago and I'd like the paint I buy to be ready to spray. Valejo Model Air and Minitaire seem to be what people recommend. With these prethinned paints, if I were to want to use a brush would I run into any problems? I've recently gotten into 40k and I'm playing with a bunch of unpainted models right now, so I'd really like to give my mans some color.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."

Vel posted:

I'm trying to decide on what paints to buy as well. That Minitaire set looks really nice but some of the reviews were saying that it's too glossy. How much of a problem is that really? I also own an airbrush that I used briefly about 5 years ago and I'd like the paint I buy to be ready to spray. Valejo Model Air and Minitaire seem to be what people recommend. With these prethinned paints, if I were to want to use a brush would I run into any problems? I've recently gotten into 40k and I'm playing with a bunch of unpainted models right now, so I'd really like to give my mans some color.

The miniature paints are a bit glossy but thats not to much of an issue if you just give them a matte or satin varnish afterword.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

I'm probably a moron for suggesting it, but I've been using some of the Createx Wicked Detail airbrush paints with good success. There aren't any local shops with Vallejo stuff, but I can get Createx at Hobby Lobby.

• Locked thread