Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

Devo posted:

Yeah I checked my group messaging setting just in case; it's all good. My wife is on the same AT&T plan as me with her iPhone and she's getting the messages just fine. So I'm not sure if it's Verizon fuckery or if something in his Android settings isn't playing nice with WP or what.

If you aren't getting them at all, maybe he's got the wrong phone number for you on your contact card?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:

OldPueblo posted:

If you aren't getting them at all, maybe he's got the wrong phone number for you on your contact card?

Nah I'm getting a "Media content in this message" text like he's sending a picture or something, but it's blank. And everyone else in the group is just getting text. So I get dinged every time he sends one out, I just can't read it.

e: and he can message me individually just fine. It's only group messaging I have a problem with.

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp

Devo posted:

Nah I'm getting a "Media content in this message" text like he's sending a picture or something, but it's blank. And everyone else in the group is just getting text. So I get dinged every time he sends one out, I just can't read it.

e: and he can message me individually just fine. It's only group messaging I have a problem with.

Any chance you're getting it routed through google voice or a similar service?

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
Neither of us uses google voice or the like for anything. I was mainly hoping there was some setting on his phone I could change. I've never used an Android before though so I'm not sure if there's a message type or anything like that.

Googling the problem shows that I'm not the only one having it but I haven't found any solutions yet.

vvvv I'm on AT&T and he's just sending text

Devo fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jun 18, 2014

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Is he sending pictures or something? If you are on T-Mobile, try disabling "Wifi calling."

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I can't put my finger on exactly why, because it usually happens in a flash, but it seems like it's ridiculously easy to decline a call on a WP. I'd say that like 75% of the time that I pull the phone out of my pocket and slide up to answer the call, for some reason the phone either drops the call or I'm hitting decline somehow. Not exactly sure.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
Now that Twitter supports GIF animations (kinda), I wonder how Microsoft Twitter are going to add it to the Windows Phone app. Animations are not supported in Image holders in neither Silverlight nor WinRT. I kinda want that support for my own apps though, so maybe they will add that to WinRT and therefore Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1... yeah, probably not :(.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

I know I'm late on the Xbox Music hate but I just came back from a trip through western Virginia where T-Mobile data is spotty as hell and Xbox Music was making GBS threads the bed when trying to browse my local music library. It fruitlessly tries to grab data from the cloud when I only have an EDGE or a loving GPRS signal which holds up the interface from just showing what albums I have for a specific artist or what songs a particular album has. The only way to even get it to stop trying to access the internet was to disable my data connection which isn't the most convenient thing to do.

Is there any way to convert as much of Zune into a standalone app or is it not possible because of the way its integrated into Windows Phone 7? I'm this close to grabbing a Lumia 900 so I can have Zune on a faster and more stable device. I'm sad to say that my Zune HD just isn't really holding up in the speed and responsiveness department.

I guess I'm a fringe user but all I need is a good RSS feed reader (NextGen Reader) and the Awful app. Although a more up to date Crunchyroll app (plus an app for Windows 8) and the remote control software for my Fujifilm X-T1 would be nice. Is it bad that also I'm looking at the Moto G or Nexus 5 as supplementary smartphones?

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
New Xbox Music app out, speak of the devil.

•It's now a bit faster to resume and browse the app.
•If we can't play a song, we now offer a more useful error message.
•We handle connectivity states better.
•Bug fixed where album art doesn't show up for playlist songs that are not in your collection.
•Stability improvements when scrolling lists and launching the app from Cortana.
•Content begins syncing in the background following app updates.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

BonoMan posted:

that's odd. You on 8 or 8.1? I'm on 8 and "share to Facebook" just uploads it right then and there.

8.1. Hope you enjoy this peek onto the lovely sharing future.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Edward IV posted:

Is it bad that also I'm looking at the Moto G or Nexus 5 as supplementary smartphones?

Bad for Windows Phone and Microsoft, not bad for you. If what you have isn't working, why would it be bad for you to look for something that works better?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
My Windows phone should be here this week. I'm getting the gist that I should not upgrade to 8.1?

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

wormil posted:

My Windows phone should be here this week. I'm getting the gist that I should not upgrade to 8.1?

Myself and the 10 or so others I've upgraded have been fine, I guess sometimes it just might get finicky for some people. If your phone is a Nokia you can always flash it back to 8 with their handy tool.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

wormil posted:

Well... Once I figured out my problem was with one of my apps (because of a WinRT bug, but still my issue), I have not had any other major issue with the OS. Now Xbox music... yeah. But it should be good.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

OldPueblo posted:

New Xbox Music app out, speak of the devil.

•It's now a bit faster to resume and browse the app.
•If we can't play a song, we now offer a more useful error message.
•We handle connectivity states better.
•Bug fixed where album art doesn't show up for playlist songs that are not in your collection.
•Stability improvements when scrolling lists and launching the app from Cortana.
•Content begins syncing in the background following app updates.

Trip report:

1. After letting the music app re-sync files, I restarted the phone and started up the music app. Nothing but a blank screen shows up, had to close the app and re-open to make it begin to RELOAD the music yet again.

2. 4 second delay from when you click on a menu item and when your music actually shows up. Each menu you swipe to must reload each time it's selected.

3. Radio menu is completely blank and does nothing

4. Searches for songs and artists in that work in Win 8.1 metro app for some reason don't show as "not found" on the Windows Phone app even though it's supposed to be connecting to the same bloody service.

5. If you swipe through the menus too quickly the menus will actually get stuck in mid animation and hang there for a bout 1 second.

6. Still no gapless playback which basically indicates that the development team working on this clearly refuses to learn anything about what a music player should actually do.

Summary: the app is still total trash. At this point I might just fire up my old HTC Tytn with Windows Mobile 6.0 because at least it had a functioning music player.

G-III fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jun 19, 2014

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Are there 3rd party music apps you can use?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

OldPueblo posted:

Myself and the 10 or so others I've upgraded have been fine, I guess sometimes it just might get finicky for some people. If your phone is a Nokia you can always flash it back to 8 with their handy tool.

Drastic Actions posted:

Well... Once I figured out my problem was with one of my apps (because of a WinRT bug, but still my issue), I have not had any other major issue with the OS. Now Xbox music... yeah. But it should be good.

Okay, cool then. I'll let it upgrade and hopefully there won't be any issues.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

G-III posted:

Trip report:

WE'll BE UPDATING IT EVERY 2 WEEKS FOLKS!

est finish: dec 2015

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

My suspicion is that how hosed the Xbox Music app is depends on how much music you have and if you browse by album/genre/playlist or just mash shuffle all. It's never hung or crashed for me, but I have 40 songs at most and don't listen to much anyway when I do. Cold comfort to those with extensive music collections though. :(

The only third party apps that I've found that do music well are Nokia MixRadio (free but only for Nokia phones) and OneMusic, which is $2 but has a trial.

Cortana now imports stuff from the sports, finance, news, etc. bing apps. Not sure I'm a fan of the horizontal separators.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

RVProfootballer posted:

I think it's a hilarious sign of the state of Windows Phone when you have to pay a third-party money if you want a non-broken music player. I mean I could understand functional music players for free, and then paying money for players that have cool, unique features.

But apparently things have reached a point where you can get away with charging $2 to sell people a basic, generic music player app, simply because it supports all of the functions that people expect from a bare-bones music player.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

LentThem posted:

I think it's a hilarious sign of the state of Windows Phone when you have to pay a third-party money if you want a non-broken music player. I mean I could understand functional music players for free, and then paying money for players that have cool, unique features.

But apparently things have reached a point where you can get away with charging $2 to sell people a basic, generic music player app, simply because it supports all of the functions that people expect from a bare-bones music player.

Microsoft is not alone. My friends Sony Andriod phone hard crashes and needs a reboot if he uses the default Sony music app. It has a memory leak of some kind.

How a basic function of smartphones can be so bad is a mystery but the rest of the 8.1 beta is good.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Microsoft is not alone. My friends Sony Andriod phone hard crashes and needs a reboot if he uses the default Sony music app. It has a memory leak of some kind.
He can't use the Google music app? Works very well when I've tried it with 10GB+ music.

Plus on Google there are a ton of free add-ons like equalizers - something many Windows phones still can't get.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.
I am on 8.0 and the media player refuses to remember where I left off in podcasts.

I am consistently having Bluetooth error now. If I receive a text while streaming music via Bluetooth there's a 50/50 shot it will hard lock the phone.

This is just so frustrating.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

For the record, the Music app (which is still a mess, gradually improving but not up to 8.0 parity and nowhere NEAR 7.x) and slightly worse battery life are the only downside I've had from 8.1 and I'm already addicted to using Cortana for everything (including music so I don't have to use the lovely app) so overall I'd still recommend upgrading. Just be prepared to say all your music choices out loud.

I should probably get back to looking through alternative music browsing apps; I sort of dropped that once I decided Cortana was a good enough substitute.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

He can't use the Google music app? Works very well when I've tried it with 10GB+ music.

Plus on Google there are a ton of free add-ons like equalizers - something many Windows phones still can't get.

He can and now does use the Google music app but he had to download it as it is not installed as standard on Sony andriod phones, the only option out of the box is the Walkman app that has the memory leak.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

My suspicion is that how hosed the Xbox Music app is depends on how much music you have and if you browse by album/genre/playlist or just mash shuffle all. It's never hung or crashed for me, but I have 40 songs at most and don't listen to much anyway when I do. Cold comfort to those with extensive music collections though. :(

The only third party apps that I've found that do music well are Nokia MixRadio (free but only for Nokia phones) and OneMusic, which is $2 but has a trial.

Pandora

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

RVProfootballer posted:

I still have the original Zune Pass subscription with the 10 free songs per month deal. Since I'm still paying for the subscription, I figured I might as well make use of Xbox Music while I continue to claim songs through Zune for however long that Microsoft will support the subscription. Hence why I'm looking at a Lumia 900 or some other nice and cheap Windows Phone 7.5 or 7.8 device.

RVProfootballer posted:

Bad for Windows Phone and Microsoft, not bad for you. If what you have isn't working, why would it be bad for you to look for something that works better?

Aside from Xbox Music being rubbish and missing a few select apps, I like Windows Phone 8.1. It's a nice enough of an update that I'm willing to forgo getting the Lumia 930 and planning on getting the successor to the 1020 or whatever Nokia's Microsoft's next Lumia flagship phone for this coming fall.

Besides, I've dabbled with both iOS and vanilla Android and neither are as pleasing to use or look at but that's just me. Cyanogenmod or customized Android may change my mind but I really do miss some of the little things and features from Windows Phone and Windows 8.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Edward IV posted:

Besides, I've dabbled with both iOS and vanilla Android and neither are as pleasing to use or look at but that's just me. Cyanogenmod or customized Android may change my mind but I really do miss some of the little things and features from Windows Phone and Windows 8.

What do you miss from WP when using other platforms? I ask because my next phone will be an Android, after nearly 3 years with Windows Phone.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

G-III posted:

Trip report:

1. After letting the music app re-sync files, I restarted the phone and started up the music app. Nothing but a blank screen shows up, had to close the app and re-open to make it begin to RELOAD the music yet again.

2. 4 second delay from when you click on a menu item and when your music actually shows up. Each menu you swipe to must reload each time it's selected.

3. Radio menu is completely blank and does nothing

4. Searches for songs and artists in that work in Win 8.1 metro app for some reason don't show as "not found" on the Windows Phone app even though it's supposed to be connecting to the same bloody service.

5. If you swipe through the menus too quickly the menus will actually get stuck in mid animation and hang there for a bout 1 second.

6. Still no gapless playback which basically indicates that the development team working on this clearly refuses to learn anything about what a music player should actually do.

Summary: the app is still total trash. At this point I might just fire up my old HTC Tytn with Windows Mobile 6.0 because at least it had a functioning music player.

I'm sitting here right now with my 521 and...
1. I haven't had a problem with it starting up ever.
2. I get delays, sometimes 4 seconds, sometimes one or two. Right now switching tracks on an album is taking about 1, 1.5 seconds.
3. Radio isn't blank for me, it gives me a message about subscribers only (so maybe Xbox Music related?) There's a separate "FM Radio" app.
4. I tried some elementary searching and it worked.
5. Haven't had this problem myself.

:shrug:

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Doomsday Jesus posted:

I am on 8.0 and the media player refuses to remember where I left off in podcasts.

I am consistently having Bluetooth error now. If I receive a text while streaming music via Bluetooth there's a 50/50 shot it will hard lock the phone.

This is just so frustrating.

I had this issue too, and I think the answer was allowing the podcast app to stay running in the background. That or it magically fixed itself for me. And by fix itself I mean it still forgets sometimes, but most of the time remembers. :v:

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Cortana now imports stuff from the sports, finance, news, etc. bing apps. Not sure I'm a fan of the horizontal separators.

The Xbox Music app also generally works fine for me, but I also usually just hit random 90% of the time so that's probably why.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

This morning I tried to launch the Music app just to turn on shuffle (turns out telling Cortana "play my music" doesn't turn shuffle on by default which is dumb) and got stuck at a black screen with "Loading your music..." at the top for like two solid minutes, at which point I swore, hit back, and relaunched. The app started up a new instance and I was at Now Playing within three seconds. I think resuming is just broken.

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?
Just curious, but for those who are having trouble with the music app, how big of a library are you loading onto there?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Captain Capacitor posted:

Just curious, but for those who are having trouble with the music app, how big of a library are you loading onto there?

Mine is friggin huge and I'm running out of space on my 920. It's absolutely a scaling issue, but it's one that didn't exist in previous iterations of the software.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

loquacius posted:

Mine is friggin huge and I'm running out of space on my 920. It's absolutely a scaling issue, but it's one that didn't exist in previous iterations of the software.

What's huge to you? I have ~1400 songs on mine (all on the SD card of course.)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

monster on a stick posted:

What's huge to you? I have ~1400 songs on mine (all on the SD card of course.)

Storage Sense is telling me I have 19.62GB of music. The 920 doesn't have an SD card slot :negative:

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

+1 for a Zune and ZuneHD fan and still baffled as to why Microsoft thought it was important or a good idea to kill the name, brand, style, software.

You had a fantastic piece of hardware. (HD)
You had a fantastic piece of software. (Zune Desktop, awesome look and style and now playing screensaver with cool text effects, good functionality, wireless syncing (Why is this not a thing today but was from WP5-7.5?))
You had a fantastic music based social network. (not sure how fantastic it really was, but it was unique and people used it, plus I liked the plays count and such as well as ability to share music with other ZuneHD's)
You had a fantastic mobile system and solution. (It freaking worked and it worked well, on both WP7+ and Zune)
You had a freaking 3D interface similar to the "New" Fire Phone. (Tilt your ZuneHD around, it was pretty snazzy)

Yet with all this and the dedicated users that have loved both Zune and Windows Phone, Microsoft almost looks like it wants to give up and just port all their unique software and features to the other devices even after pulling in Nokia and its own Phone hardware... I really hope the new CEO can do something to really downsize and reorg the entire structure to be more like WP7's focus but with speed we were seeing right around the 8.1 RTM release.

It seems like 8.1 was announced months ago, just like Mango and the like, and we are in freaking tech limbo till Christmas again. It is pathetic.

While I still dislike Android, my EVO LTE has actually been, reliable with the latest 4.3 update from HTC, and I am tempted to just stick with a HTC One or something down the road as there is still no Sprint cooperation and nothing new on the horizon for at least another year or more...

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

EdEddnEddy posted:

+1 for a Zune and ZuneHD fan and still baffled as to why Microsoft thought it was important or a good idea to kill the name, brand, style, software.

You had a fantastic piece of hardware. (HD)
You had a fantastic piece of software. (Zune Desktop, awesome look and style and now playing screensaver with cool text effects, good functionality, wireless syncing (Why is this not a thing today but was from WP5-7.5?))
You had a fantastic music based social network. (not sure how fantastic it really was, but it was unique and people used it, plus I liked the plays count and such as well as ability to share music with other ZuneHD's)
You had a fantastic mobile system and solution. (It freaking worked and it worked well, on both WP7+ and Zune)
You had a freaking 3D interface similar to the "New" Fire Phone. (Tilt your ZuneHD around, it was pretty snazzy)

Yet with all this and the dedicated users that have loved both Zune and Windows Phone, Microsoft almost looks like it wants to give up and just port all their unique software and features to the other devices even after pulling in Nokia and its own Phone hardware... I really hope the new CEO can do something to really downsize and reorg the entire structure to be more like WP7's focus but with speed we were seeing right around the 8.1 RTM release.

It seems like 8.1 was announced months ago, just like Mango and the like, and we are in freaking tech limbo till Christmas again. It is pathetic.

While I still dislike Android, my EVO LTE has actually been, reliable with the latest 4.3 update from HTC, and I am tempted to just stick with a HTC One or something down the road as there is still no Sprint cooperation and nothing new on the horizon for at least another year or more...

Yeah, I'm pondering jumping ship this year over the state of the music experience (both the app and syncing), and I was literally the only non-microsoft employee purchasing a phone back on 7.x launch day at my local AT&T store. :(

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I'd just like to throw in a plug for OneMusic which someone mentioned earlier. It seems to be pretty full-featured and (after an initial sync which took a while) much more functional than the stock music player. Not perfect -- the playlist feature seems a little janky, although I'm still playing around with it and it's not like the stock playlist flow is any better -- but probably the best option at the moment. Its Now Playing screen even lets you swipe left/right to skip ahead or back.

It does cost :2bux: but there's a trial version which I haven't found any actual paywalls in yet. Give it a shot.

e: Hey, I think I found a problem! It seems to always want to be running in the background and if you close out of it in the Task Manager thingie it appears to crash on releaunch. Man, it's always something :suicide:

loquacius fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jun 19, 2014

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Captain Capacitor posted:

Only maybe 100 right now, I'll add a bunch more and see if it shits the bed more often. Scaling/resume issue makes sense when you look at the randomness of all these issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Drastic Actions posted:

Now that Twitter supports GIF animations (kinda), I wonder how Microsoft Twitter are going to add it to the Windows Phone app. Animations are not supported in Image holders in neither Silverlight nor WinRT. I kinda want that support for my own apps though, so maybe they will add that to WinRT and therefore Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1... yeah, probably not :(.

Ha, well might actually be easier than it sounds:

http://blog.embed.ly/post/89265229166/what-twitter-isnt-telling-you-about-gifs