Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

blueyedevil posted:

So I'm moving to Spain from the US in a month in a half and won't be making any return flights until next July.

I'm departing from Omaha Eppley (OMA) and my destination will be Madrid-Barajas (MAD). I'd preferably like to keep it to just one stop (most flights I'm seeing stop in ORD or DFW). I'm planning on departing on Thursday July the 24th, although this is flexible by two days either way or so.

Since I don't have a return leg planned (the date is too far out), the costs are astronomical. The airline sites are listing at $2500+ with IAT Matrix and Hipmunk et al spitting out similar prices. Skyscanner has much cheaper prices ($800+) but I'm not sure if it's legit.

Would it simply be wiser to buy a round-trip ticket for the large savings and change the return leg date for a fee? Are sites like skyscanner legitimate and reliable? Should I suck it up and look for flights with two stops?

Thanks.

Skyscanner is fine, but I'd be interested in knowing what flights it was returning for the $800 price for an international one-way. As we've discussed before, normally most airlines will only sell full Y fares for one-way international segments, hence the enormous cost. If Skyscanner returns the fare and the airline in question will actually sell you a seat, I see no reason not to do it.

That said, there is the visa issue to contend with. If you don't have a specific visa, they may take issue with you not having a method of egress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

moflika posted:

Last minuteish since plans have changed, but is there even really an advantage to going to travel agencies (in person) for a flight like SFO-FRA departing early July? Asia seems to have more of that "agents buying in bulk and then hooking you up in order to get rid of tickets" thing going, but I feel like Euro trips being of thing for privileged folks kind of kills the bargaining game haha. Am I off on that? Not interested in "perks" like hotels and tours. I've done the Condor thing and transfered in SEA for major savings, but it was a pain in the rear end.

Despite United's "ELBOWS AND KNEES HUN, CART COMIN' THROUGH!!" service and no personal screens in the year of our Lord 2014, I'm a bum with his life in his bag and the direct flight + lax enforcement of carry ons makes it the flight!

High season Europe travel :smith:

This is pure speculation on my part, but I don't know that travel agents are really getting lots of bulk fares at good prices during the summer for the US-Europe market because of high demand causing airlines to sell the seats themselves for higher revenue, a situation they vastly prefer than any other sales channel, especially travel agents. Exceptions to the rule always happen, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

blueyedevil posted:

Difference in the ticket price meaning the difference between a return leg and a direct flight? That's about $1000 right there.

Difference in ticket price means the difference between the price you paid for the segment when you purchased it and the price that is being charged for the segment when you make the change. In many cases, this will be more expensive than when you originally booked. So it's not just the change fee, it's the change fee plus the fare difference.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Sorry, this isn't a price question but I can't find a better thread for it. I'm from the UK and will be in the US for a couple of weeks in September. I'm booking an internal flight from JFK to Orlando and the best option seems to be JetBlue. Can someone tell me if JetBlue are a shitheap and/or if their planes are liable to end up in the ocean? I've never heard of them and have no idea about which internal airlines are decent.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Safety wise, if they fly in the US, they're approved by the FAA so they're (generally) safe.

Service wise, if they fly in the US, they're poo poo.

mtr
May 15, 2008

Tunga posted:

Sorry, this isn't a price question but I can't find a better thread for it. I'm from the UK and will be in the US for a couple of weeks in September. I'm booking an internal flight from JFK to Orlando and the best option seems to be JetBlue. Can someone tell me if JetBlue are a shitheap and/or if their planes are liable to end up in the ocean? I've never heard of them and have no idea about which internal airlines are decent.

JetBlue is rated as one of the best airlines in the US. You're fine.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I think Spirit is the only airline that delivers a truly miserable experience, but even then it's still safe.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Are there any good sites that show airfare history and pricing trends? I've been watching airfare for the honeymoon I've been planning over the last few months, and it's gone down by over $100, and dropped by $40 since yesterday. I'm really eager to jump on the tickets right now, since it's at an all time low, but if historically, the price would normally continue to drop for another month or whatever, then I'll happily wait on it.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Tunga posted:

JetBlue is a good airline and one of the best coach experiences in the sky in the domestic US market. JFK and MCO are hubs for them so the flight schedules should be good.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

neogeo0823 posted:

Are there any good sites that show airfare history and pricing trends? I've been watching airfare for the honeymoon I've been planning over the last few months, and it's gone down by over $100, and dropped by $40 since yesterday. I'm really eager to jump on the tickets right now, since it's at an all time low, but if historically, the price would normally continue to drop for another month or whatever, then I'll happily wait on it.

Not really, and historical trends are not an indicator of future performance, especially when the focus of inquiry is narrowed to a single route or destination. If it's a price you're willing to pay, jump on it. It's a gamble, but it always is.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Mackieman posted:

Not really, and historical trends are not an indicator of future performance, especially when the focus of inquiry is narrowed to a single route or destination. If it's a price you're willing to pay, jump on it. It's a gamble, but it always is.

Yeah, that's what I figured. I'm not set on the actual route, just the departure and arrival airports and the month of travel. I'm mostly just worried that I'll buy the tickets now and then see them for like $50 cheaper in a month. For the curious, the wife-to-be and I are going from Buffalo to Cancun sometime early September. We found a flight that's currently $278/ticket with one stop over, where the only long layover is a 4 hour delay on the return trip. I'm totally willing to pay that much per ticket, especially since almost the exact same flight through a different airline was $318 yesterday. I'm only apprehensive because there's always the chance it could be $225 in a week or whatever.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

neogeo0823 posted:

Yeah, that's what I figured. I'm not set on the actual route, just the departure and arrival airports and the month of travel. I'm mostly just worried that I'll buy the tickets now and then see them for like $50 cheaper in a month. For the curious, the wife-to-be and I are going from Buffalo to Cancun sometime early September. We found a flight that's currently $278/ticket with one stop over, where the only long layover is a 4 hour delay on the return trip. I'm totally willing to pay that much per ticket, especially since almost the exact same flight through a different airline was $318 yesterday. I'm only apprehensive because there's always the chance it could be $225 in a week or whatever.

Uh, that is very, very cheap. I'd buy that right now.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yeah, and there's a chance it'll be 60 more tomorrow.

An international flight of that distance to a vacation destination for under 300 is very good. Just make the jump.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, definitely make the jump on that one.

I waited a bit on those flights to Australia in PE and found an Air NZ sale... one way to Auckland for $1700, the flight onwards to Australia will end up being around $300 more. Pretty stoked on that price, since it's not much more than half a return ticket, which is awesome.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Yeah, I went and jumped on that price. $555 for two tickets to Cancun is an amazing price, and now I can focus on looking for the perfect hotel deal.

BigStu
Apr 16, 2011
Hey guys, my trip to the UK went so great that some friends are now wanting to go too. We were looking to go sometime between September and early December(because of work) Now the cheapest flight I have found for ELP-MAN is about $1098. About a year ago I paid a little over $750 for that same flight on Delta, Would $1098 be the least we can expect to pay around those dates? We are open to flying into nearby cities. TIA

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Is there a thread to inquire about specific airlines and their reputation? My fiance's bugging out a bit because I booked the flights through AirTran, and they've got a lot of mixed reviews. A ton of it seems to be either PR fluff or people complaining about things that are not directly the airline's fault. She's worried that we're going to have a lot of problems with delayed/oversold flights, etc. etc.

fuseshock
Aug 7, 2010

neogeo0823 posted:

Is there a thread to inquire about specific airlines and their reputation? My fiance's bugging out a bit because I booked the flights through AirTran, and they've got a lot of mixed reviews. A ton of it seems to be either PR fluff or people complaining about things that are not directly the airline's fault. She's worried that we're going to have a lot of problems with delayed/oversold flights, etc. etc.

You booked on AirTran, but are they operated by Southwest or AirTran? Never flew AirTran but I've never had an issue flying Southwest. Their flight attendants are much better than those on legacy carrier's economy. I think you can just expect AirTran to be average with lower than normal leg room, but not Spirit bad. I wouldn't worry about the delays or the flights being oversold either, since the carrier is responsible for getting you to your destination. Just check in 24 hours before and handle things as they come. Also I quickly googled this:

quote:

"Selling more tickets than there are seats is not illegal. Most airlines overbook their flights to compensate for "no-shows." If there are more passengers than seats just before a plane is scheduled to depart, you could be "bumped" or left behind against your will. Whether you are bumped or not may depend on when you officially check-in for your flight, so try to arrive early. The U.S. Department of Transportation requires airlines to ask people to give up their seats voluntarily, in exchange for compensation. Airlines decide what to offer volunteers, such as money, a free trip, food or lodging.

Federal rules protect you if you are "bumped" on most flights within the United States and on outbound international flights. Passengers who are involuntarily bumped are protected under Federal Aviation Administration guidelines. If you volunteer to be bumped, your agreement with the airline that is not regulated and will depend on negotiating at the gate.

The airline must give you a written statement describing your rights, as well as the airline's boarding priority rules and criteria. If the airline is not able to get you to your final destination within one hour of your original arrival time, the airline must pay you an amount equal to 200% of your one-way fare, with a maximum of $650. To receive this payment, you must have a confirmed reservation. You must also meet the airline's deadlines for ticketing and check-in. An airline may offer you a free ticket on a future flight in place of a check, but you have the right to insist on a check."

Also surprised you didn't go with US Airways since their prices were also $278 yesterday (excl. luggage here).

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

fuseshock posted:

You booked on AirTran, but are they operated by Southwest or AirTran? Never flew AirTran but I've never had an issue flying Southwest. Their flight attendants are much better than those on legacy carrier's economy. I think you can just expect AirTran to be average with lower than normal leg room, but not Spirit bad. I wouldn't worry about the delays or the flights being oversold either, since the carrier is responsible for getting you to your destination. Just check in 24 hours before and handle things as they come. Also I quickly googled this:

Also surprised you didn't go with US Airways since their prices were also $278 yesterday (excl. luggage here).

That's good to hear. The flight is a southwest flight, booked through AirTran. Or at least, the first flight is a southwest flight. The way the confirmation email is worded, it sounds like we're flying a southwest plane to Chicago, then AirTran to Cancun. My fiance is mostly worried because one person whom she worked with like 3 years ago told her that she had been bumped from her flight and wasnt told till she got to the gate and ended up missing her sister's funeral. Judging by what you've posted and what she's told me, it sounds like they didn't check in and arrived late. We'll definitely be doing things ultra early.

And we were originally going to go with US Airways, but the only flights they had that were that price that I saw either were overnight or had long layovers. With this flight, we've got a 1h45m layover going there, and a 4h layover going back, but they're at relatively convenient times and the ticket price was also $278. Today, by the way, the ticket price has gone back up to $338, so Sellouts called it.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Everyone complains about airlines. It will likely be fine and if you have problems chalk it up to bad luck not a bad decision.

I've been burned more than I would like to admit changing flights or routes trying to avoid what I would think are potential problems.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

sellouts posted:

Everyone complains about airlines. It will likely be fine and if you have problems chalk it up to bad luck not a bad decision.

I've been burned more than I would like to admit changing flights or routes trying to avoid what I would think are potential problems.

This. AirTran is fine; they're essentially Southwest with international service. In the next year or so, AirTran as a brand will no longer exist and it will all be Southwest. The only major issue AirTran has is ValuJet 592 which crashed in the Everglades because someone hosed up the cargo loading, thus necessitating a branding change from ValuJet to AirTran. I flew AirTran several times prior to the merger with Southwest and they're fine.

Additionally, I also enjoy the ability to change flights and routes on the fly during the travel day via United's Same Day Change policy for elites. Just this morning I was scheduled to fly CLT-IAH-AUS and CLT-IAH took an hour delay, thus cutting my connection in IAH quite close. I audibled to CLT-IAD-AUS and even scored an upgrade on IAD-AUS. The original IAH-AUS flight took a delay as well so I wound up getting home an hour before I would have otherwise and in a better seat.

This somehow makes up for the massive clusterfuck I experienced in ELP a couple of weeks ago thanks to weather in DEN and ExpressJet's inability to unfuck themselves during irregular operations. :rolleyes:

stump collector
May 28, 2007
My United flight was just cancelled from MCI (2:30pm) to newark, newark to boston (930pm). It is now MCI to Denver (8pm), Denver to Boston (arriving at 945am). What can I do? What are my options?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Sleep in the airport and make a funny video while the airport is quiet?

If you've called united and they can't get you out of the overnight connection and you've got no status then you're likely out of luck. If you haven't called you should call.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I've had a great experience calling UA really late at night, the agent was bored out of her mind and hooked me up with everything I wanted at no fee (Changed my flights so a connection was more comfortable, that kind of poo poo).

Just remember to work on your confused-but-nice attitude. The agent knows better than you, or at least should always believe so.

Swarmin Swedes
Oct 22, 2008
Trying to plan a trip for August to either Spain or Colombia (or anywhere else in the Spanish speaking world if you have suggestions). Would be leaving from DC/NYC anytime from the 8th to the 12th and returning anywhere from the August 30th through the 3rd.

Most flights to Spain have been bouncing around 950-1050 for those dates and Colombia has been around 500. Is that the best I will be able to do or is there a chance they drop in the next week or two?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Swarmin Swedes posted:

Trying to plan a trip for August to either Spain or Colombia (or anywhere else in the Spanish speaking world if you have suggestions). Would be leaving from DC/NYC anytime from the 8th to the 12th and returning anywhere from the August 30th through the 3rd.

Most flights to Spain have been bouncing around 950-1050 for those dates and Colombia has been around 500. Is that the best I will be able to do or is there a chance they drop in the next week or two?

Since it's still peak travel season to Europe, the chances of seeing any sort of significant drop on flights to Spain off the East Coast are pretty remote. I also checked the major gateways where you could get a cheap connecting flight or train service and didn't see any significant savings in that timeframe either.

fuseshock
Aug 7, 2010

Swarmin Swedes posted:

Looks like Delta put up another sale fare if you're willing to leave from Baltimore or Philly it's $756 now, but by the time you read this it'll probably be gone.

http://www.theflightdeal.com/2014/0...ding-all-taxes/

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

fuseshock posted:

Looks like Delta put up another sale fare if you're willing to leave from Baltimore or Philly it's $756 now, but by the time you read this it'll probably be gone.

Awesome, exactly what I was looking for. Still available if anyone else is looking.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

How do you leave from either DC or NYC? It's not like they are a car ride apart really. Just curious. Was philly an option that was left out?

Swarmin Swedes
Oct 22, 2008

fuseshock posted:

Awesome that is absolutely perfect. Just booked one out of BWI for 790. Thank you so much.

Swarmin Swedes
Oct 22, 2008

sellouts posted:

How do you leave from either DC or NYC? It's not like they are a car ride apart really. Just curious. Was philly an option that was left out?

I will be visiting friends in DC in early August so that was a good jumping off point and I live in NYC where the airports are well connected to public transport so those were my two best options. Baltimore and Philadelphia take a lot more work on my part to get to and I would need to find rides etc.

kidhash
Jan 10, 2007
Looking for flights to Managua, Nicaragua, leaving ~Sept 1st, returning ~Sept 30th. Would prefer to fly from Calgary or Kelowna, but could go to Seattle if it would be much cheaper (would need 2*hotels + 1 month parking, so would need to be a decent bit cheaper).

Grouco
Jan 13, 2005
I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member.
I'm looking to fly from YYC to GLA on Nov 12, returning Dec 3. It looks like British Airways for ~$1060 is a good bet, especially since I prefer the 8pm departure time (one less vacation day I need to burn). I'll probably end up booking around the end of this month... hopefully that's not too late. I figure at least 3 months in advance is safe enough?

It also occurs to me that flying just to London and then catching a train might be cheaper?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

kidhash posted:

Looking for flights to Managua, Nicaragua, leaving ~Sept 1st, returning ~Sept 30th. Would prefer to fly from Calgary or Kelowna, but could go to Seattle if it would be much cheaper (would need 2*hotels + 1 month parking, so would need to be a decent bit cheaper).

Leaving out of YYC is around $727USD. Leaving out of SEA is $555USD, all on United. I dunno if the savings is significant enough to cost justify for you, but there ya go.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Grouco posted:

I'm looking to fly from YYC to GLA on Nov 12, returning Dec 3. It looks like British Airways for ~$1060 is a good bet, especially since I prefer the 8pm departure time (one less vacation day I need to burn). I'll probably end up booking around the end of this month... hopefully that's not too late. I figure at least 3 months in advance is safe enough?

It also occurs to me that flying just to London and then catching a train might be cheaper?

Flying to LHR and then catching a train to GLA depends very much on the price differential. Trains in the UK are usually fairly expensive so do your homework and then book what makes the most sense.

Cubivore_
Nov 6, 2013

Looking to fly from Los Angeles, CA (LAX) to Saginaw, MI (MBS) on late October/early November, for 3 or 4 days. I used the Matrix site and every flight around that time is priced at $532. Is this the cheapest? And is that a good price? Also are all the fees and taxes included? And is there a good time to buy, or it doesn't matter? Was thinking about buying a month before the trip. Sorry for all the questions, this will be my first time flying.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Mercurochrome posted:

Looking to fly from Los Angeles, CA (LAX) to Saginaw, MI (MBS) on late October/early November, for 3 or 4 days. I used the Matrix site and every flight around that time is priced at $532. Is this the cheapest? And is that a good price? Also are all the fees and taxes included? And is there a good time to buy, or it doesn't matter? Was thinking about buying a month before the trip. Sorry for all the questions, this will be my first time flying.

Welcome to the miracle of flight. ;)

The first post covers most of your questions, but suffice it all to say that the best time to buy is when the fare is offered at a price you're willing to pay. And generally, fares go up the closer to departure you get. That said, there are lots of caveats for every rule and fares change wildly all the time, so it's a bit of a treasure hunt.

The key to lower fares for you is going to be flexibility in airport choice. There are five airports in the LA area, and regularly some of them have lower prices than LAX itself. Whether or not it makes sense to use one of those others, especially if you incur additional cost to get there, is a cost benefit analysis that you have to do for yourself.

The same idea applies to your destination airport. Is it super important that you fly directly into MBS or can you fly into Detroit (DTW) and drive up? MBS is a small airport with limited service, so fares are higher there due to scarcity of supply. DTW, on the other hand, is a major hub for Delta and has lots of service from most airlines because it is a big city. I see fares into DTW from LAX on American Airlines (AA) with a plane change in Dallas (DFW) for $292 round trip, all in. That departs on October 29, returns on November 1.

So then the question becomes: is it worth $240 in savings to have to rent a car in DTW and drive up to Saginaw? If you were already planning on renting a car, I think this is a no brainer. I made this drive recently and it's about two and a half hours, mostly interstate. But like I said, that's a value judgement you have to make for yourself.

Aside from pure pricing, feel free to ask any questions you may have about the experience or what you can expect.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

LAX is also one of the most terrible airports, avoid when possible.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

It has gotten a lot better recently unless you're departing terminal 2. Or in the morning of terminal 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Thanks for this thread, I'm definitely going to go back through it and give it a proper read but have a query in the meantime (that I hope hasn't been brought up a million times).

I used the Matrix link in the OP which is really awesome and using a Multi City option I found the following route to visit my girlfriend in Florida in October.

Our plan is roughly:

Leave Dublin on 22nd October and fly to RSW in Florida
Then I'll return on my own on around the 4th November probably to LHR. The total for my two tickets was $823 which seemed pretty reasonable.

As we're both in the UK at the moment I logged on to Expedia's UK site and tried to match the price it found - nowhere close. It was more like £850 (~$1300) which sucked, but my gf was using her phone at the same time on Expedia's US site... low and behold - we found pretty much the exact price that Matrix had found.

So the crux is: why was the UK site hiding the good flights from me? Am I going to have issues if I book through Expedia US?