Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Got my Note 10.1 2014 edition today :dance:

Now I just have to figure out how I want to set it up, this is my first foray into tablets so it is pouring through settings time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Pro: You can replace it with a 3rd party battery that explodes your phone and gets you on the news.
Con: Battery can fall out when you fastball your phone.

Batteries are consumable items not covered by your warranty, and will significantly lose capacity inside the first year of use, to less than half by the 2nd years end.

If you don't have a replaceable one you have to rely on the manufacturer to offer replacement service, which they can charge a laughable amount for.

Also, a few quality aftermarket batteries with increased capacity are available, which are sometimes identical in size to the original. If you feel the need its a nice option.

Cons: You have to add a battery cover. It doesn't seem to add much bulk in the Galaxy S series, but can potentially make it harder to have a nice solid, well built phone.

I'm in favour of a user replaceable battery hidden behind a bolted on cover - this is similar to the iPhone 4 setup (though the battery there wasn't user serviceable ).

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Do you really expect to be using your phone for more than 2 years? If you're interested in the latest and greatest, you'll be buying a new phone more often. If you just want a phone, you'll get whatever is free when you redo your contract.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Shooooeeees :argh:

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Cojawfee posted:

Do you really expect to be using your phone for more than 2 years? If you're interested in the latest and greatest, you'll be buying a new phone more often. If you just want a phone, you'll get whatever is free when you redo your contract.

I'm in the market for a high-end tablet, and I expect it to last at least 2-3 years, I'm not going to pay the amount of money they're asking for something disposable. Rather than spend $500 on the latest and greatest, should I be spending $250 on something lower end now and $250 on another tablet in about 18-24 months?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cojawfee posted:

If the battery's already making GBS threads out 6 months before phone replacement, wouldn't you agree that sucks rear end?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Konstantin posted:

I'm in the market for a high-end tablet, and I expect it to last at least 2-3 years, I'm not going to pay the amount of money they're asking for something disposable. Rather than spend $500 on the latest and greatest, should I be spending $250 on something lower end now and $250 on another tablet in about 18-24 months?
Wait until after I/O and the next Nexus gets announced, then buy it.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Tunga posted:

Shooooeeees :argh:

Hahahahaha its like a merry-go-round fueled with hate. :v:

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

LastInLine posted:

Wait until after I/O and the next Nexus gets announced, then buy it.

At this point I don't expect Google to announce new hardware as it seems more likely a 'silver' branding is going to happen for existing hardware.

I would be happy with this as there are a few tablets out right now that are nice but come bundled with OEM shovelware.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

fondue posted:

At this point I don't expect Google to announce new hardware as it seems more likely a 'silver' branding is going to happen for existing hardware.

I would be happy with this as there are a few tablets out right now that are nice but come bundled with OEM shovelware.
Well this one we're pretty sure about. It's a tablet by HTC codenamed "Flounder" ( :lol: ) and it's been seen in logs so it's not like this is going to be a surprise.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

LastInLine posted:

Well this one we're pretty sure about. It's a tablet by HTC codenamed "Flounder" ( :lol: ) and it's been seen in logs so it's not like this is going to be a surprise.

In glad to read that! I've been waiting since the rumors of a refresh for the 10 floated around. My tf201 is getting long in tooth.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Htc Sensation still going strong here, albeit with a 3rd party battery and rom but transferred to sim only plan. As good as a Moto G with maybe a better camera :v:

u fink u hard Percy fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jun 15, 2014

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

fondue posted:

In glad to read that! I've been waiting since the rumors of a refresh for the 10 floated around. My tf201 is getting long in tooth.
Current rumors point it to being an 8" device, not 10". Of course emphasizing rumors since we don't know anything for sure until Google officially announces it.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
My ma just got suckered into getting an Ellipsis 7 with her phone upgrade. Is this thing just straight crap? It's just out of the box and it seems pretty laggy just jumping from Chrome to the desktop. :(

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Bogart posted:

My ma just got suckered into getting an Ellipsis 7 with her phone upgrade. Is this thing just straight crap? It's just out of the box and it seems pretty laggy just jumping from Chrome to the desktop. :(
You know that it is.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have to praise Verizon for their honest marketing on that thing, they literally named it with the Greek word for "falling short".

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

fondue posted:

The TF303 is coming out Q3 this year.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Tornhelm posted:

The TF303 is coming out Q3 this year.

I like ASUS but since I realized that a keyboard really isn't a need for me anymore it will have to compete on spec's with all of the other tablets out this summer/fall.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

LastInLine posted:

You know that it is.

Hope springs eternal. :( Thanks anyway, though.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
In the small tablet market - LG G pad 8.3 for $125 used worth grabbing instead of waiting for a Nexus 8? Just for loving around on the couch.

Seems like a bargain if everything checks out.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Cozmosis posted:

In the small tablet market - LG G pad 8.3 for $125 used worth grabbing instead of waiting for a Nexus 8? Just for loving around on the couch.

The Nexus 8 isn't even a real thing.

I don't see how people keep pushing the rumor of Android Silver taking over the Nexus line while also pushing the rumor of a Nexus 8...which, if you believe the Android Silver rumor, will not exist.

I also saw rumors of a Nexus 10, 2014 version. Considering the Nexus 10 refresh would've been last year, I don't see Google going "Oh, yeah, here's a 10-inch tablet which will replace the 10-inch tablet that didn't sell well in the first place".

Ranting aside, buy the LG G Pad 8.3, the Nexus 8 is nothing more than a rumor.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

ThermoPhysical posted:

The Nexus 8 isn't even a real thing.
We can hope.
http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/0...and-android-tv/

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

I don't see how people keep pushing the rumor of Android Silver taking over the Nexus line while also pushing the rumor of a Nexus 8...which, if you believe the Android Silver rumor, will not exist.
Because Silver is rumoured for next year, or maybe Nexus phone time this year (November-ish). Nobody (intelligent) has suggested it is coming at IO.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Tunga posted:

Because Silver is rumoured for next year, or maybe Nexus phone time this year (November-ish). Nobody (intelligent) has suggested it is coming at IO.

Nexus is rumored to not launch any device this year and be replaced with the Android Silver line next year.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

Nexus is rumored to not launch any device this year and be replaced with the Android Silver line next year.
These rumours (and frankly it's stupid that we are even arguing about rumours) were about this year's Nexus phone and the regular November(ish) release thereof, not about any Nexus tablet that might show up this summer.

@evleaks said "There is no Nexus 6. Farewell, Nexus.". That one line is where most of these rumours came from.

In other words, the Nexus line will not have another phone and is going away. That doesn't mean it is gone right now and there won't be a tablet this summer. That "HTC Flounder" (hilarious codename) certainly seems to exist, and though it's currently unclear if it is a Nexus device or not, the name smells a little fishy don't you think?

I mean, I have no clue what Google are or aren't going to launch, but the rumours as they stand absolutely do not indicate that Google aren't about to launch a new tablet.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jun 18, 2014

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Tunga posted:

These rumours (and frankly it's stupid that we are even arguing about rumours) were about this year's Nexus phone and the regular November(ish) release thereof, not about any Nexus tablet that might show up this summer.

@evleaks said "There is no Nexus 6. Farewell, Nexus.". That one line is where most of these rumours came from.

In other words, the Nexus line will not have another phone and is going away. That doesn't mean it is gone right now and there won't be a tablet this summer. That "HTC Flounder" (hilarious codename) certainly seems to exist, and though it's currently unclear if it is a Nexus device or not, the name smells a little fishy don't you think?

I mean, I have no clue what Google are or aren't going to launch, but the rumours as they stand absolutely do not indicate that Google aren't about to launch a new tablet.

I agree that it's stupid that rumors are even being discussed but then you throw in what Sundae Pichai said when PhoneArena asked him about the next Nexus phone.

"I can assure you, it will not be released in the first half of the year."

That goes against the Android Silver rumor that evleaks said and what people have been claiming.

Google probably will do another tablet but it won't be anytime soon and it won't be announced at I/O. Google has said that I/O will be less device based and more software. Not to mention Matias Duarte said that this year's I/O will be design based.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Tunga posted:

These rumours (and frankly it's stupid that we are even arguing about rumours)

And all rumors lead to Microsoft releasing a Surface Mini, instead of the exact opposite. Like you prefaced your point with, this conversation is stupid and we just don't know for a little longer.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

"I can assure you, it will not be released in the first half of the year."

That goes against the Android Silver rumor that evleaks said and what people have been claiming.
I read this differently to how all the blogs read it. He wasn't saying "there is a phone and it is coming out in the second half of 2014", he was just saying "you won't see a new Nexus phone in the first half of the year". I mean, that's actually what the quote says. Also wasn't this translated from French or something? I might be misremembering that part.

There's also the entirely reasonable possibility that there was a 2014 Nexus Phone planned and now there isn't. Who knows?

I agree about I/O, we're very unlikely to see a tablet there. Probably July/August, like they did last year. I'll be surprised if we don't see one in the next few months but that's more gut feeling that anything else.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Cozmosis posted:

All the credible sources point to the HTC device being a 8.9" device so its not in your size range anyway. "Nexus 8" has stuck because that's what the term the blog echo chamber first latched onto due to that Android.com photoshop a couple of months back. Nexus 9 is the more likely name since it would fit the "The best of Google in three sizes" theme, allowing them to wrap things up before the alleged sunset.

ThermoPhysical posted:

I don't see Google going "Oh, yeah, here's a 10-inch tablet which will replace the 10-inch tablet that didn't sell well in the first place".

If relative sales governed the release of Nexus/reference devices none of them would exist. The real question to ask is whether or not there's utility in having this "Nexus 9" reference device exist, which historically has meant:

1. Chipset support/breadth
2. Hardware feature support for the software

There'd be much more room for debate on whether those points are currently met or not if they didn't slip up and accidentally leak stuff like this into AOSP a couple of weeks back:

Which if you ignore the depressing subplot of the Google engineer being pressured to purposely water down his tests, reveals that the HTC Tablet has a 64-bit Tegra and that ART will support 64-bit. If they're able to finalize 64-bit in time for the next version of Android/API 20 and its a tentpole feature, doesn't it make sense to release some hardware to go with it?

On top of that given the N10 had its 4.4 translucency API disabled for performance reasons, if API 20 gets any more intensive with regard to graphics/animation will it really be fit for purpose? The leaked G-watch boot animation suggests thats the direction they're going:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yks-GuClSJ8

The best time to announce a redesign of the logo is with a significant design change (i.e. the alleged Quantum Paper). It doesn't make as much sense to have heavy Visual + Motion design sessions they have in the schedule if the reference point they're based on is going to completely change later on in the year.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Google has said that I/O will be less device based and more software. Not to mention Matias Duarte said that this year's I/O will be design based.

Well Sundar said "this IO" (2013), not "every IO". And Duarte said Design was one of the themes, not the main theme, which is backed up by the the theme description in the IO announcement post they put up on the dev blog

I fully expect them to hand out Android Wear + Android TV/@Home swag bags. The reason I'm not committed to the tablet being announced/released at IO has nothing to do with Google/Nexus/Silver, but the fact that it relies on the premise that NVIDIA would have a Tegra chip ready exactly when they say they will. Sure they said the 64-bit Tegra K1 is due the "second half of the year" back in January so the timing is right but then again Tegra Tegra Tegra.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
Also just searched for "Nexus 9" out of curiosity to see if any blogs use the term and apparently the head of Android Police said the Nexus 9 was a thing 2 weeks ago: https://plus.google.com/+ArtemRussakovskii/posts/8dRQNgTp5Nu

"#soon" would suggest IO, but then again never bet on Tegra.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Vagrancy posted:

Which if you ignore the depressing subplot of the Google engineer being pressured to purposely water down his tests,

poo poo, that is depressing.

Not surprising, but depressing.

("depressing" being relative to the fact that it's nerds fighting about smartphones on the internet)

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
Me and my dad got my mom a Samsung Tab Pro 8.4 for my mom's birthday. She loves and it is pretty neat and all but there's no way to connect it to my parent's tv, they don't have a smart tv yet (they suck anyway) so it doesn't have the Samsung screen sharing app. I bought a connector that plugs into the micro usb port and goes out into hdmi. It should work but it doesn't. I bet you have to buy some overpriced Samsung bullshit converter, right?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
There's two different kinds. Slimport and MHL. You might have bought the wrong one. Might be best to just get a Chromecast.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Torabi posted:

Me and my dad got my mom a Samsung Tab Pro 8.4 for my mom's birthday. She loves and it is pretty neat and all but there's no way to connect it to my parent's tv, they don't have a smart tv yet (they suck anyway) so it doesn't have the Samsung screen sharing app. I bought a connector that plugs into the micro usb port and goes out into hdmi. It should work but it doesn't. I bet you have to buy some overpriced Samsung bullshit converter, right?

I don't know if the two work the same at all, but my Galaxy S3 needed a little adapter between the phone and a standard MHL dongle to work. Also, are you plugging it into power as well?

e; seconding the Chromecast recommendation.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Cojawfee posted:

just get a Chromecast.

Oh hey look at this right answer. Now that the Google's Photos app has CC support its old person approved. Share dem vacation photos.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

The adapter just plugs straight into the micro usb port. Looks like this but white.

Should have just bought a chrome cast I guess. The piece of crap cost me $21 too. Yay for Swedish pricing. Actually, don't think it says MHL on it. Gonna check.

Edit:

Says slimport on it and for some reason it has a hole on the side where it also fits another slimport cable. I didn't even know slimport existed, it looks exactly like a microusb and plugs in the same.

It did say for Nexus devices on the packaging but Android should be all the same when it comes to how it plugs into other devices. Oh boy was I wrong. Welp.

Edit again:

I realize now that the extra hole in the side is for a charging adapter. Not that it worked. Tablet didn't charge when plugged into the adapter and the charger being connected through it. Oh well.

Boar It fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jun 19, 2014

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Torabi posted:

The adapter just plugs straight into the micro usb port...

Actually, don't think it says MHL on it. Gonna check... Says slimport on it and for some reason it has a hole on the side where it also fits another slimport cable... It did say for Nexus devices on the packaging but Android should be all the same... I realize now that the extra hole in the side is for a charging adapter. Not that it worked.

You sound confused, so I'll clarify. I don't think SlimPort or MHL are officially part of the [micro]USB spec, they both just use it because of its ubiquity. The device manufacturer will modify the USB jack according to the external display standard they want to use. Just because it fits doesn't mean it will work. This could explain why the charging didn't work. You're using a SlimPort adapter on a MHL device.

SlimPort is part of the DisplayPort standard, which is what Google's Nexus devices have supported. Possibly because it's a more open standard, but probably because licensing is cheaper.

MHL is part of the HDMI standard. Higher licensing fees. You need one of these for your Samsung tablet.

Biggie Shorty
Oct 8, 2008
I'm looking to buy a bluetooth controller for my Asus MeMo HD7 to use with ppsspp/snes/DS emulation. anyone have any recommendations?

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

goku chewbacca posted:

You sound confused, so I'll clarify. I don't think SlimPort or MHL are officially part of the [micro]USB spec, they both just use it because of its ubiquity. The device manufacturer will modify the USB jack according to the external display standard they want to use. Just because it fits doesn't mean it will work. This could explain why the charging didn't work. You're using a SlimPort adapter on a MHL device.

SlimPort is part of the DisplayPort standard, which is what Google's Nexus devices have supported. Possibly because it's a more open standard, but probably because licensing is cheaper.

MHL is part of the HDMI standard. Higher licensing fees. You need one of these for your Samsung tablet.

Yeah I was a bit confused. Thanks for the help. My dad is going to pick up a chromecast for my mom it seems. Wireless is the way to go. At least the fancy luxury tea that I got my mom for her birthday was a success. (She loves tea) :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Hey I'm lazy and there's not much of an OP so I'm coming to you guys for keyboard and case recommendations for a 2013 Nexus 7, preferably a case that can stand the tablet up in one orientation or the other for taking notes with the keyboard.