Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moleman
Apr 26, 2003

Now the time has come to gather our forces and run.
There's no way "magically dying and out of character Dark Beast in a fish bowl" was planned out in any way shape or form. No way. As a perennial and unrepentant fan of AoA, it always pains me to see characters from that 20 year old storyline used as cheap cannon fodder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Didn't Dark Beast escape to the AOA at the end of Uncanny X-Force?

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

moleman posted:

There's no way "magically dying and out of character Dark Beast in a fish bowl" was planned out in any way shape or form. No way. As a perennial and unrepentant fan of AoA, it always pains me to see characters from that 20 year old storyline used as cheap cannon fodder.

That's something that also pissed me off about the reveal: Bendis has a total lack of respect for what other writers do with "his" characters. It seems really lovely to me that Bendis randomly introduced this new character at the last second only to flippantly kill him off for no reason, in a way that is completely disconnected to both the character's past history and the story itself.

There was never a point where Dark Beast would logically be involved with this storyline, and there was never a point where Dark Beast would logically be terminally ill. They don't even give him any focus or screentime, or even use his death for shock value. He was literally killed off for no reason, and that's the worst way a character can go (although ten bucks says that the next writer ignores Bendis and says it was a clone or something).

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
What do people outside of BSS think of Bendis's X-Men? I got into All-New because of Comics Alliance but after BotA I've all but lost interest in it.

(Immonen's art is great, though)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Schneider Heim posted:

What do people outside of BSS think of Bendis's X-Men? I got into All-New because of Comics Alliance but after BotA I've all but lost interest in it.

(Immonen's art is great, though)

At my shop sales are tanking on Uncanny. All New is our best selling x-book, I guess people really did want Jean Grey back.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
After Logan dies, Jean should come back and she' all "Scott, it didn't work out, I want Logan now.." and Emma's all "There's something I gotta tell you..." while Scott weeps on the lawn.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Screw all of y'all. I like Uncanny.

Though it does seem that this ending was rushed for whatever reason. It was like it had another issue to go, then just ended. Maybe he was in a crunch to get to the Original Sins tie-ins.

But :lol: at people saying it's worse than Chuck Austen. That's just really loving stupid to say.

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."
I've been a big booster of Bendis's X-Men, honestly, but this Dark Beast reveal was total bullshit on the level of Ultimate Mysterio.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I'm not gonna defend the Dark Beast reveal as anything other than unimpressive, but who should it have been? We weren't given any clues at all. The only time a villain reveal is good is when it makes you go "it all makes sense now!"... and I'm struggling to come up with a better villain than Dark Beast. I was expecting it to just be some other future-character from the lame future-Brotherhood that hadn't been addressed in ANXM.

I like the Bendis X-Men while I'm reading them, for the most part, but they do not hold up to analysis at all. I think they're fun, but that's the best I can say about them.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
You have a point there is no good villain reveal when there are no hints and no sense behind the events.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Diet Poison posted:

I'm not gonna defend the Dark Beast reveal as anything other than unimpressive, but who should it have been? We weren't given any clues at all. The only time a villain reveal is good is when it makes you go "it all makes sense now!"... and I'm struggling to come up with a better villain than Dark Beast. I was expecting it to just be some other future-character from the lame future-Brotherhood that hadn't been addressed in ANXM.

I like the Bendis X-Men while I'm reading them, for the most part, but they do not hold up to analysis at all. I think they're fun, but that's the best I can say about them.

Mr. Sinister makes some sense especially since he's been actively around mucking with things.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Rhyno posted:

At my shop sales are tanking on Uncanny. All New is our best selling x-book, I guess people really did want Jean Grey back.

To be fair no one actually remembers the old school x-men and how they are supposed to act. So when Bendis does a horrible job writing them, it doesn't seem like it since we're really not sure what to compare it to. I like All New way better than Uncanny myself too cause I'm not going 'well that goes against that characters entire history'. And I wish someone would take Emma, Illyana and the cuckoos away from bendis. He can have all his silly new mutants. And mags, I'm actually kind of ok with the way he writes magneto and cyclops.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Rick posted:

Mr. Sinister makes some sense especially since he's been actively around mucking with things.

When did we last see Sinister? (For real, I have a loving dreadful memory) And what state was he in? Reading the Wikipedia article on him to refresh my memory, he had a pretty good thing going for himself and was spectacularly foiled as Gillen's X-Men run ended. He would have been the perfect villain for a revenge arc like this. Say a result of him being a clone of a clone of a clone of a clone meant his body was breaking down, hence the fancy mysterio-esque suit. The convoluted grand plan is more in his wheelhouse than Dark McCoy's, too. Go back a few issues and hide a loving diamond symbol somewhere in his poo poo and there you go, all of a sudden the big reveal is way less lovely. And then don't have him die right away. Or do, but then splorp- another Sinister is shat out of a cloning machine in a cave somewhere that the recently-dead Sinister didn't even know about. The X-Men think they've won, but they're wrong. I'll get you next time, Gadget, etc.

Now where's our time machine and our paycheck?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The problem with the reveal is that it felt like it was building up to be some sort of off-shoot from the time travel thing - like something Beast's idiocy brought into the present. It could be anything, in fact, it largely felt it was supposed to be a new character or a new take. I think people were guessing it could be Cyclops (from the past) come back from the future to gently caress with Cyclops (present) in the present.

Say young Cyclops developed a thing for X-23, and then something older Cyclops does gets her killed and eventually young Cyclops grows up, hates the future and realizes "where it all went wrong" is where he lost X-23 (I am intentionally avoiding the brutal and obtuse 'hello im bendis im ruin the major x-romance blargh' thing). The elements are already in play. Actually, for a moment there I really thought the reveal was going to be young Beast grown up and all bitter about the future or how old and young Cyclops treated him. I could totally dig that.

The only real information we had to work from is the idea the dude hated Cyclops and had sentinels which to me really doesn't feel like Dark Beast at all actually. Does Dark Beast even remember who Cyclops is? So I guess that's another problem too.

Also does anyone else ever find it rather weird that Iron Man is like the only Marvel super science to be written as having a set of even vaguely specific skills? Like Dark Beast is using nano-sentinels and robotics when I swear he was like all in on being an evil biologist. It's just like, this science can do anything! Engineering, robotics, biology, nanotech! It's all the same thing anyway! Comic books!

So basically even if it were better written the reveal didn't work (neither does Sinister, either, but I also just plain wish Sinister would never come back)

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Diet Poison posted:

When did we last see Sinister? (For real, I have a loving dreadful memory) And what state was he in? Reading the Wikipedia article on him to refresh my memory, he had a pretty good thing going for himself and was spectacularly foiled as Gillen's X-Men run ended. He would have been the perfect villain for a revenge arc like this. Say a result of him being a clone of a clone of a clone of a clone meant his body was breaking down, hence the fancy mysterio-esque suit. The convoluted grand plan is more in his wheelhouse than Dark McCoy's, too. Go back a few issues and hide a loving diamond symbol somewhere in his poo poo and there you go, all of a sudden the big reveal is way less lovely. And then don't have him die right away. Or do, but then splorp- another Sinister is shat out of a cloning machine in a cave somewhere that the recently-dead Sinister didn't even know about. The X-Men think they've won, but they're wrong. I'll get you next time, Gadget, etc.

Now where's our time machine and our paycheck?

Exactly! And if Mr. Sinister was busy, just role out Ms. Sinister. Or maybe there's a Mrs. Sinister around somewhere.

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!
It's like they were planning to kill another villain but realized after a lot of work was done that they had too many Beasts kicking around.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Echoing the sentiments here that this is completely out of character for Dark Beast. Dark Beast wants to sit in a lab and create monsters, he doesn't hide in a helicarrier drumming up chaos and drama for the sake of it. He doesn't hate the X-Men, they just keep getting in his way but ultimately he keeps going back to just wanting to do whatever in the name of science. I can't believe he'd ever experiment on himself first without having tested something on a million others first. Dark Beast wasn't ashamed of being a Beast so that whole idea is just dumb.

gently caress, Bendis is awful now.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Diet Poison posted:

When did we last see Sinister?
Teaming up with (Kid?) Loki to infiltrate Doom's castle for an A+X story, right?

(a great Gillen mash-up, to boot)

redbackground fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jun 19, 2014

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

redbackground posted:

Teaming up with (Kid?) Loki to infiltrate Doom's castle for an A+X story, right?

Those aren't in continuity though

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Senor Candle posted:

Those aren't in continuity though
Where does it say that?

I mean, they're mostly humorous shorts, but they never contradict or lay waste to what else is going on (that I can remember).

redbackground fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jun 19, 2014

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

redbackground posted:

Where does it say that?

I mean, they're mostly humorous shorts, but they never contradict or lay waste to what else is going on (that I can remember).

Well, they might not be strictly "out" of continuity, but the little snippets at the beginning of each issue basically amount to shut up and don't think too hard about this stuff.

Senor Candle fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jun 19, 2014

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Sinister had some plan to do with a bunch of clones of himself. During the early days of the Exctinction Squad, I think? Before AvX.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

During AvX he got wrecked by the Phoenix five.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

He killed off Scott's PR agent at some point and took her place as a back-up plan in case he got owned.

e: I think that was shown right at the end of Gillen's run on Uncanny.

A Tin Of Beans fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jun 19, 2014

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
That bit was right before the P5 stuff right?

I loved his P5 story.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Nevvy Z posted:

That bit was right before the P5 stuff right?

I loved his P5 story.

Yeah, he faced off against the Extinction Squad right before AvX/Phoenix Five stuff happened, got owned by them during AvX, then almost immediately afterwards it turns out that, aha, he was not so owned after all!

That goofy-rear end MEN ONLY underground steampunk London in Alaska thing kind of ruled. :allears:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

A Tin Of Beans posted:

He killed off Scott's PR agent at some point and took her place as a back-up plan in case he got owned.

e: I think that was shown right at the end of Gillen's run on Uncanny.

Yes in his last issue he visits Cyclops in jail just to rub his face in it.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

Yes in his last issue he visits Cyclops in jail just to rub his face in it.
I love the end of Gillen's Uncanny run, but I had forgotten all about that scene--it is delightful.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
I loving loved Gillen's Sinister and would hate to see Bendis poo poo all over that characterization, so I'm glad it wasn't him.

In any case, that was quite possibly the worst Masked Mystery Villain reveal I've ever read in a superhero comic. Maybe the Original Sin tie-in will be better, but this issue felt like Bendis has already hit Avengers circa late 2011 levels of phoning it in.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
So after all that "Phoenix Five stuff is making our powers crazy!!" it turns out it was nanomachines?

Does this mean Magneto now gets to be full powered in his solo series?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Yeah, but he gets a nasty diarrhea. Also, the master of magnetism who has previously dealt with nanomachines planted on the X-Men (Morrison's run) can't feel the nanomachines in himself. Because they were all pulled out of Bendis' rear end.

This reveal shits on everything. It shits on the Dark Beast character, it shits on the outcome of Uncanny X-Force, the premise for Colossus to join Cable and his X-Force... hell, it shits on its own story by making it make absolutely no sense. The writer certainly is a master of plotting diarrhea -- he even makes jokes about it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Did anyone watch Bendis at E3? Dude probably thinks this show is going to be the biggest poo poo ever and he's just gonna rake in the cash so his actual comic work doesn't matter anymore.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Did anyone watch Bendis at E3? Dude probably thinks this show is going to be the biggest poo poo ever and he's just gonna rake in the cash so his actual comic work doesn't matter anymore.

To be honest, I hope it's going to be too, Powers is really good.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

kdrudy posted:

To be honest, I hope it's going to be too, Powers is really good.

It was, the Bureau series has been very lackluster. I really want to see the FX pilot just to see how terrible it was.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Honestly the more I read Uncanny the more I find myself supporting Maria Hill. All of the mutants are just assholes and gently caress around with the timestream too much and then at the end of the story Cyclops moves in to be smug as gently caress and be like "Oh you really should have known there are like 3 evil Beasts at any given time trying to infiltrate and use any resources they can to be evil for the sake of it. Also you really should have known that Mystique the shapeshifter would infiltrate your ship. Now get off my lawn that I don't live on. :smug:"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TwoPair posted:

Honestly the more I read Uncanny the more I find myself supporting Maria Hill. All of the mutants are just assholes and gently caress around with the timestream too much and then at the end of the story Cyclops moves in to be smug as gently caress and be like "Oh you really should have known there are like 3 evil Beasts at any given time trying to infiltrate and use any resources they can to be evil for the sake of it. Also you really should have known that Mystique the shapeshifter would infiltrate your ship. Now get off my lawn that I don't live on. :smug:"

I'd lock them all up except for Goldballs. He seems pretty chill.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I just really loving hate how they've, in my opinion, ruined and reverted Maria Hill's character. I think Fraction did a lot to evolve her and make her a person besides "Generic hard rear end not Fury SHIELD Director" in his Iron Man run. Now, ever since Spencer's Secret Avengers and the tail end of Bendis' Avengers, she's back to being SHIELD hard rear end.

quote:

Honestly the more I read Uncanny the more I find myself supporting Maria Hill. All of the mutants are just assholes and gently caress around with the timestream too much and then at the end of the story Cyclops moves in to be smug as gently caress and be like "Oh you really should have known there are like 3 evil Beasts at any given time trying to infiltrate and use any resources they can to be evil for the sake of it. Also you really should have known that Mystique the shapeshifter would infiltrate your ship. Now get off my lawn that I don't live on. "

Don't forget "Mystique the shapeshifter that I sent Wolverine to kill and that I've had numerous opportunities to kill but I only save my kills for father figures"

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."

Rhyno posted:

Oh my God stop it with the pointless hyperbolic, assumptive ad hominems that don't make any sense

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

d00gZ posted:

Oh my God stop it with the pointless hyperbolic, assumptive ad hominems that don't make any sense

No?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I bet Bendis had no idea who it would be, and then when he was told to wrap up the storyline, he ran around trying to find someone he could have behind it, and Dark Beast was the only one.

• Locked thread