Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

What do you mean "impossible"? You're so
cruel, Roger Smith...

General Battuta posted:

The Expanse just got extended to nine books.

Ugh. I think I'm going to pass on the rest of this series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Hahahahaha a competent editor could probably trim the nine books back down to three. I've only read the first two and I think I'll stop at that myself. By all accounts each one is a bit worse than the one before it.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Ya Leviathan Wakes was enough for me.
Consider Phlebas is really good. I'm digging the gently caress out of Iain M Banks.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
Jeff Vandermeer will be at the Edinburgh Book Festival in a couple of months!

Also, my thanks to whoever recommended the Johannes Cabal books a while back! I've just finished the Fear Institute and it was bloody brilliant. I love a good anti hero, and these really hit the "dark but funny" mark. That book was probably more predictable in terms of plotting than the first two, but the writing and jokes were definitely the best so far, and there's genuine character development too.

I'd thoroughly recommend them for anyone looking for a break from the rest the genre: the books don't take themselves or their main character seriously. The titular Johannes Cabal is a sardonic necromancer in the early 20th century, and he gets dragged out of his quiet schemes into some pretty varied adventures. The first book is probably the weakest, involving Cabal running a demented circus. Book 2 is an action packed murder mystery set aboard a blimp, and book 3 is structured as the standard fantasy quest through a strange land, and it's wonderfully subverted by Johannes' total disinterest in anything other than his own dark purpose. The recurring prophecy does seem quite contrived though.

The Supreme Court fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jun 18, 2014

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

McCoy Pauley posted:

Unrelated, I recently finished Promise of Blood and loved it. Haven't picked up The Crimson Campaign yet, but plan to soon. I've noticed there are 2 shorts and novella by McClellan also available in the Kindle store -- is it safe to assume that if I liked Promise of Blood I'll find those shorter works worth my time?

No. I liked both Promise of Blood and The Crimson Campaign, but I went 1/2 on the shorts (liked The Girl of Hrusch Avenue, hated - and gave up on - Hope's End).

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

McCoy Pauley posted:

Who keeps thinking this is a good idea? I mean, jesus, even if they plan to write 9 books, don't say that you're extending your original story to 9 -- say that you're going to wrap it up in 6 (or even better, 3) and then write another trilogy (or two) in the same universe.

Unrelated, I recently finished Promise of Blood and loved it. Haven't picked up The Crimson Campaign yet, but plan to soon. I've noticed there are 2 shorts and novella by McClellan also available in the Kindle store -- is it safe to assume that if I liked Promise of Blood I'll find those shorter works worth my time?

Glad to see someone else liked Promise of Blood. I posted my thoughts on it last year but never saw any other discussion on it. No idea on the novellas but I plan on getting them after I finish the second book. The first book was great and I found it to be a breath of fresh air.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

They should hire S. A. Corey to do the Assassin's Creed novelisations.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Nine books? Part of me is excited, but I'm pretty sure I'll be done at six. Nine books seems like a recipe for meaningless character death (I was worried enough that someone was going to die in Cibola Burn for 'drama') and a plodding plot. I still really liked Cibola Burn but it feels like it was really beginning to wrap things up.

I really don't want the Expanse to become like GRRM's works.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Milky Moor posted:

I really don't want the Expanse to become like GRRM's works.

Well, they *are* written by his assistant. Presumably, he's also giving them advice.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Megazver posted:

Well, they *are* written by his assistant. Presumably, he's also giving them advice.

Oh, I know. And they seem to take a lot of the best parts of those novels while not including a lot of the boring or flat our weird parts. But I'd rather not see the Expanse fall into issues like killing characters to create drama or to have plots that don't really go anywhere. What I really like about the Expanse is how each book progresses and how, by the end, the world has altered, changed or shifted (for example, Cibola Burn ends with the issue that Mars is now virtually pointless given all the new, habitable worlds and the concern that what's going to happen when people, such as the Martian navy, decide to do their own thing?.

I've enjoyed all of the Expanse novels so far. Leviathan Wakes is the best, easily, but Caliban's War is also a generally strong novel with a stronger focus on the characters than the politics and I'd put it on the same level. I also think Abaddon's Gate was generally quite good (perhaps because it was the novel I read first) but I do agree that it seems like a retread of Leviathan Wakes at times and the civil war crisis near the middle of the book felt like it dragged.

I liked Cibola Burn, too, although this seems to be the minority opinion on the thread. Thing is, without new characters or some wild divergences from what's been established, I'm not sure what you can do with three more books after the next two without falling into bad ideas like 'what if we kill Naomi?' or 'what if there's another alien race out there?' or 'what if they develop inertia-less drives?'

All of those things would take the series far away from why I read it - hard(ish) sci-fi that is focused on the human characters, and the human characters are a whole lot of fun. I also like the series because it is bright and optimistic and gives us a picture of a very cool, progressive future.

I figured after six books, especially with Cibola Burn pointing out how old Holden is getting, that it might be time for the crew to settle down, for Amos to find his peace, that sort of thing. Maybe they'll focus on different characters and push Holden and co. to the side... but I like Holden and the Rocinante crew and I wouldn't want to read the books without them.

Like I said, part of me is excited - and part of me is concerned.

Menses at Work
Oct 16, 2006

where women glow and men plunder

quote:

Whether you're discussing a book or asking for recommendations, include lots of details to give us something to talk about and give us a taste of what you like!

I started out with a post that had too many details. I like reading, but I can't explain anything in writing at all.
Chances are I've read everything there is to read that suits me.

What I do enjoy, in order of most love to less:
1. Joe Abercrombie
2. GRRM
3. Rothfuss
4. Scott Lynch

Stuff I tried that didn't quite do it for me include The Black Company and Malazan series.

I have read everything Sanderson has written, but mostly as a last resort. Too often I find myself cringing at the Gilmore Girls-tier "witty banter" and super-awesome-powers revealed at the very end of the books. Abercrombie is my favourite, by far. I have read everything he has written, and not once did I roll my eyes.

Amazon keeps recommending stuff, but it's just not working out. Currently reading Brian Stavely's The Emperor's Blades. At 12 %, it's just not looking too good. I can't explain what exactly I feel is missing.

If anyone has similar taste in books, I am grateful for any and all recommendations. For all I know there are some authors similar to Abercrombie out there that aren't getting the praise they deserve.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I haven't read all of those but it looks like you like lots of grime and dirt in your fantasy. Not exactly something I can help you with.

But if you like that crippled protagonist thing, the third author besides Abercombie and Martin who is famous for this is Luis Bujold. Peter Dinklage's Tyron is as if he was written by Bujold.

And if you like complex and realistic politics and intrigue there is always RTK, I am always shocked when there is someone who loves GRRM but has never even tried to read RTK.

VictualSquid fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jun 19, 2014

Menses at Work
Oct 16, 2006

tonberrytoby posted:

I haven't read all of those but it looks like you like lots of grime and dirt in your fantasy. Not exactly something I can help you with.

But if you like that crippled protagonist thing, the third author besides Abercombie and Martin who is famous for this is Luis Bujold. Peter Dinklage's Tyron is as if he was written my Bujold.

And if you like complex and realistic politics and intrigue there is always RTK, I am always shocked when there is someone who loves GRRM but has never even tried to read RTK.

Thanks! Grim and dirt are my thing for sure. Looking into Bujold now.
I'm drawing a blank on RTK, though. Google isn't helpful. It's probably not "Romance of the Three Kingdoms", right?

When/if you tell me, I'll probably slap myself for not making the connection.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

tonberrytoby posted:

But if you like that crippled protagonist thing, the third author besides Abercombie and Martin who is famous for this is Luis Bujold. Peter Dinklage's Tyron is as if he was written my Bujold.

Yeah you want to elaborate what RTK is, you POS?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Menses at Work posted:

I'm drawing a blank on RTK, though. Google isn't helpful. It's probably not "Romance of the Three Kingdoms", right?

It is the Romance of the Three Kingdoms.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Menses at Work posted:

lmgtfy :rolleyes:

http://www.rtklive.com/new/index.php, obviously

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

tonberrytoby posted:

Even if it wasn't, it would still be worth a read on its own terms (and for Cao Cao.) Neither fantasy nor science-fiction, though.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

Even if it wasn't, it would still be worth a read on its own terms (and for Cao Cao.) Neither fantasy nor science-fiction, though.
Well it has almost as much fantasy elements as the main ( inside the seven kingdoms ) part of A Song of Ice and Fire.

And there are some great science-fiction works inspired by it. Most famously Legends of the Galactic Heroes. But most people can't read that.

Menses at Work
Oct 16, 2006

Now this is cutting edge fantasy. More pictures than I am used to.

Edit: In all seriousness, thanks again, Toby. First I've ever heard about this, and the wikipedia article is interesting.

Menses at Work fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jun 19, 2014

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
If you like Joe Abercrombie's lovely novels inspired by videogames and Rothfuss' novels inspired by E/N threads, perhaps you'd also enjoy 14th century Chinese literature?

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

systran posted:

If you like Joe Abercrombie's lovely novels inspired by videogames and Rothfuss' novels inspired by E/N threads, perhaps you'd also enjoy 14th century Chinese literature?

:siren::siren: PULL OVER THREAD, THE THING YOU MAY AND MAY NOT LIKE POLICE IS COMING IN :siren::siren:

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

systran posted:

I haven't read RoTK but if you can't enjoy 'The Water Margin' aka 'Outlaws of the Marsh' aka 'All Men are Brothers' then oh geez there ain't no cure for that.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

I like classic literature, I just don't think a guy who only likes grimdark fantasy, particularly Joe "Goon" Abercrombie is going to like it. It's a really weird recommendation.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Lowly posted:

I liked Michael Marshall Smith's "One of Us." It's sort of a noir-ish sci fi crime story.

This is a good novel, his debut Only Forward is awesome too, it just has too many cats. It reads like a crazy cat miserable-young-Londoner's novel. I remember the Straw Men trilogy being great too except that the end of the third novel was a bit off, but those are thrillers, not really f/sf at all.

tonberrytoby posted:

Fits here about as well as the Morte D'Arthur, to which it has a lot more in common than with George RR Martin. (E: What Systran said.)

Menses at Work posted:

I started out with a post that had too many details. I like reading, but I can't explain anything in writing at all. Chances are I've read everything there is to read that suits me.

Thank you for reading the OP! Also, try Hugh Cook.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Menses at Work posted:

If anyone has similar taste in books, I am grateful for any and all recommendations. For all I know there are some authors similar to Abercrombie out there that aren't getting the praise they deserve.

The Prince of Thorns and The Warded Man usually get lumped in with Abercrombie: they're both dark-ish novels in a fantasy world that's grittier note interesting than the usual. The former is definitely the better novel, but the sequels get significantly worse. I felt the Prince of Thorns books started with a pretty rubbish protagonist and a great setting, and the sequels show the protagonist maturing into a much better character while also exploring the setting. Either way, they're both quick and easy reads if you just want a fantasy kick.

I'd thoroughly recommend China Mieville instead! Perdido Street Station might fill the gap of a brutal but wonderfully realised world, and the characters plotting don't follow standard fantasy tropes.

tonberrytoby posted:

Well it has almost as much fantasy elements as the main ( inside the seven kingdoms ) part of A Song of Ice and Fire.

And there are some great science-fiction works inspired by it. Most famously Legends of the Galactic Heroes. But most people can't read that.

Why do I need to Google stuff in your posts? Just say "it's an anime in Japanese" instead of this cryptic rubbish.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

btw, I shat on Sanderson's Way of Kings earlier in here, and I was going to stop reading it. I ended up finishing the first book, and the plot was good enough that I started and am enjoying the second book. It has a ton of dad/mormon humor, it has pretty bad prose, and it's very ~~MY UNIQUE MAGIC SYSTEM~~, but it's actually quite entertaining and he does a good job of having all the POVs be interesting. It's pretty impressive that when he does the interludes and introduces sometimes one-off characters, he manages to keep them entertaining and engaging right from the first paragraph.

I guess this is what happens if you just write a shitload every day and hone your ability to write entertaining stories rather than worrying about your prose much at all. It's not really a style of writing I would want to do myself, but I see why it sells so well.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

fritz posted:

I haven't read RoTK but if you can't enjoy 'The Water Margin' aka 'Outlaws of the Marsh' aka 'All Men are Brothers' then oh geez there ain't no cure for that.

Be warned - of the Four Great Historical Novels of China, The Water Margin probably has the biggest disconnect between how the text expects you to feel about the cast and how they come across. Sure, Liu Bei's Shu Kingdom are kind of unpleasantly hypocritical, and have things like the baby-tossing incident and the accidental cannibalism on their rapsheet, but the bandits of Liangshan Marsh are a bunch of total assholes for roughly three-quarters of the book (and partial assholes for the remaining quarter) who you're expected to see as heroic and flawless because Reasons. It's why I have a soft spot for the rewrite where they get rounded up and killed by the government at the end without ever finding redemption. I'd say Journey to the West and Romance of Three Kingdoms are better works, even if JTTW is kind of repetitive and ROTK's action isn't as good (I'm ignoring Dream of the Red Chamber here because whilst it's pretty good, it's a totally different sort of novel).

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

systran posted:

I like classic literature, I just don't think a guy who only likes grimdark fantasy, particularly Joe "Goon" Abercrombie is going to like it. It's a really weird recommendation.
I specifically said that I would recommend it to someone who like the intrigue in Game of Thrones. And I stand by that.

The Supreme Court posted:

Why do I need to Google stuff in your posts? Just say "it's an anime in Japanese" instead of this cryptic rubbish.
There is actually a translation for the anime. It wouldn't be as popular in ADTRW without that.
But the anime is based on a series of novels, which never got translated.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
The guy who likes grimdark stuff should try out A Land Fit for Heroes by Richard Morgan, God's War by Kameron Hurley, and the aforementioned Perdido Street Station.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

tonberrytoby posted:

Less, I'd say. It's fantasy on only the sense that Hamlet would be.

Darth Walrus posted:

(I'm ignoring Dream of the Red Chamber here because whilst it's pretty good, it's a totally different sort of novel).
Of all the four classics I'd recommend that one the least. It's just too culturally Chinese and dependent on its historical context. The other three are comprehensible on their own terms, although you'll take away less from them than someone aware of the context and associated topics. With Dream of the Red Chamber you probably won't get anything.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Menses at Work posted:

I started out with a post that had too many details. I like reading, but I can't explain anything in writing at all.
Chances are I've read everything there is to read that suits me.

What I do enjoy, in order of most love to less:
1. Joe Abercrombie
2. GRRM
3. Rothfuss
4. Scott Lynch

Stuff I tried that didn't quite do it for me include The Black Company and Malazan series.

I have read everything Sanderson has written, but mostly as a last resort. Too often I find myself cringing at the Gilmore Girls-tier "witty banter" and super-awesome-powers revealed at the very end of the books. Abercrombie is my favourite, by far. I have read everything he has written, and not once did I roll my eyes.

Amazon keeps recommending stuff, but it's just not working out. Currently reading Brian Stavely's The Emperor's Blades. At 12 %, it's just not looking too good. I can't explain what exactly I feel is missing.

Someone else recommended The Thousand Names by Django Wexler which ranged from alright to good and reminded me a lot of Abercrombie. It has some flaws but the styles are pretty similar. For what its worth I couldn't get into The Emperor's Blades either despite my interest in the setting, the characters are just terrible in every way.

I also enjoyed Blood Song by Anthony Ryan which was really cliched but very well executed and enjoyable. It flows really well, I read it in 2 days despite the page count.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

Less, I'd say. It's fantasy on only the sense that Hamlet would be.

I think the significance of Taoist mysticism is important to mention here, though. Now, whether it counts as magic in a fantasy sense is a kind of complicated question, but it does mean that what are functionally powerful combat-wizards do play an important role in quite a number of major battles. Certainly, Zhuge Liang wins almost as often through his mastery of Taoist magic as through his strategic genius (the Stone Sentinel Maze, the weather-manipulation at Chibi, et cetera).

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

General Battuta posted:

The guy who likes grimdark stuff should try out A Land Fit for Heroes by Richard Morgan, God's War by Kameron Hurley, and the aforementioned Perdido Street Station.

Everyone should try out God's War. That book actually does something cool and unique with the grimdark model, rather than have it be exclusively Feudal Dudes With Big Veiny Throbbing Swords. I've got its sequel lined up to read next.

thehacker0
Mar 19, 2014

After doing some searching for a new fantasy series to pick up, I've just started Kingkiller Chronicles. Given the crazy length of some other highly recommended series, I figured a shorter one like this could be worth tackling before diving into something like Wheel of Time. Have I made a solid choice? Others I was considering were Wheel of Time and Malazan Book of the fallen. Will probably go for those next

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

thehacker0 posted:

Others I was considering were Wheel of Time and Malazan Book of the fallen. Will probably go for those next
They're both really bad. Fair warning.

thehacker0
Mar 19, 2014

Cardiovorax posted:

They're both really bad. Fair warning.

Wheel of Time and Malazan? How do you feel about Kingkiller?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

No idea, I've never read it.

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006
I didn't like Wheel of Time but Malazan is without a doubt my favorite series.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

thehacker0 posted:

First book is somewhat okay but the second book is so extremely bad it makes the first worse in retrospect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

thehacker0 posted:

Bad hair pulling, meh, bad gary stu as follows.