Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gene Ricman
Aug 14, 2008

notaspy posted:

Having Stevie G in the midfield means that the gap between the defence and attack is huge. Someone has the carry the ball out and that sure as poo poo isn't going to be Steven and at the same time if Henderson does we have an old, poo poo player covering what is allegedly our defence.

Henderson and Barkley as the 2 CM, Welbeck in the bench with LAmbert up front. Sorted.

At least the most scouse man ever is retiring at then end of the next match.

Barkley isn't disciplined enough for a two man central midfield so it'd be a huge gamble. If you want to get the best out of him its got to be behind the striker.

Lallana on the left aswell please, instead of persisting with that stupid formation that doesn't work at all.

But its all pointless anyway because theres no way we're qualifying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Samara posted:

England fans, come root USA! Plenty of room on this wagon.

USA are going to get rooted in their wagon bad enough

Gene Ricman posted:

No, It's still on. We do not let this slip

Fluo
May 25, 2007

table break ban

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Italy uraguay will be a draw as that puts them both through

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Gene Ricman posted:

Stiff upper lip old chap!

Maybe half the country will slide into the sea, or the Rage Virus will break out.

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

Rooney should play as a striker IMO

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I still believe.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

JFairfax posted:

ngl I forgot this bit.

Duro
May 1, 2013

by Lowtax
misread

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Brony Car posted:

Carragher already retired.

How the gently caress did I forget about Carragher?! I love that man.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

JFairfax posted:

not if when costa rica beat england, then uruguay are out. they have to win vs italy.

NtotheTC fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jun 19, 2014

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

JFairfax posted:

Balotelli will not stand for this bullshit

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

Chris de Sperg posted:

all england need is two italian wins, a win over costa rica, and to beat costa rica by at least two goals if italy doesn't already manage it. it's coming home and only a fool would think otherwise.

Maybe I'm naive but this really doesn't seem too far off. I mean, CONCACAF and everything.

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
henderson was also dogshit for the 2 games, leave the old man alone ffs

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Destroy My Sweater posted:

Maybe I'm naive but this really doesn't seem too far off. I mean, CONCACAF and everything.

It all seems kinda plausible until you remember that England are actually real bad at putting balls in the back of nets

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Looking forward to non stop "this wouldn't have happened if England had picked Terry" articles in the press tomorrow.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
“Basically, to realise it could be a terrible, long, frustrating summer if we don’t get it right on Thursday,” Gerrard recalled. “There is no hiding place for a player when you go out of a tournament earlier than you expect. It can be tough and it can take an awful long time to get over it. A lot of people know that in the dressing room but there are a few young lads in there too, so it was important for them to realise what is at stake and how important this game is.

“I have been there. I have had that feeling. So I know what that feeling is about and that is the feeling I don’t want on Friday morning. It wasn’t a message to scare any of the lads but it was a wake-up call to everyone in the room. It wasn’t to scare anyone, or intimidate anyone, but this is the reality of where we are and we need everyone focused and right on it, individually and collectively, on Thursday, otherwise it is going to be a terrible, long summer.”

Inspirational Gerrard

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/jun/18/england-steven-gerrard-vital-message-uruguay

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Gerrard should never do another inspirational speech ever.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

JFairfax posted:

“Basically, to realise it could be a terrible, long, frustrating summer if we don’t get it right on Thursday,” Gerrard recalled. “There is no hiding place for a player when you go out of a tournament earlier than you expect. It can be tough and it can take an awful long time to get over it. A lot of people know that in the dressing room but there are a few young lads in there too, so it was important for them to realise what is at stake and how important this game is.

“I have been there. I have had that feeling. So I know what that feeling is about and that is the feeling I don’t want on Friday morning. It wasn’t a message to scare any of the lads but it was a wake-up call to everyone in the room. It wasn’t to scare anyone, or intimidate anyone, but this is the reality of where we are and we need everyone focused and right on it, individually and collectively, on Thursday, otherwise it is going to be a terrible, long summer.”

Inspirational Gerrard

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/jun/18/england-steven-gerrard-vital-message-uruguay

He's a loving ballbag lads

Heskie
Aug 10, 2002
My Facebook is full of Chelsea fans whining about FA conspiracies against Frankie Lampard and how abhorrent it is that he hasn't started yet. The 35 year old who is without a club.

While we're at it lets recall Beckham and get him to whip in crosses from the half way line onto Rooney's big fat scouse face.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

JFairfax posted:

Inspirational Gerrard

I posted this 3 pages ago.

The guy means well, but he should never deliver a speech. I've often wondered if he was ever captain material. At his best, he leads by example.

If you ever see him deal with younger players or the infamous speech after the Man City game, you can see he's not exactly the calm type who knows how to get through rough patches calmly. It's blood and thunder with him and, if anything, that was the last thing England needed.

Lampard supposedly joined in the speech as well, by the way.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

Pissflaps posted:

I still believe.

manchego
Feb 16, 2007

MEANWHILE,
I don't get to listen to 5 Live often (I'm American) but I have to say the British press are some of the most loathsome, disgraceful and idiotic people on the planet, more than on par with the worst of Marca and the Spanish press.

Some of the refuse they've spewed in the last few minutes is incredible, including an exchange that literally blames Hodgson for both not listening and listening to the press, at the same time.

I feel for English fans, but gently caress those guys.

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
remember when Spain bottled all the tourneys like England has for the past 40 years?

they invested more money in football, coaches, pitches and academies and bam..they created the best team in the world for some time

england should do the same imxo

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

manchego posted:

I don't get to listen to 5 Live often (I'm American) but I have to say the British press are some of the most loathsome, disgraceful and idiotic people on the planet, more than on par with the worst of Marca and the Spanish press.

Some of the refuse they've spewed in the last few minutes is incredible, including an exchange that literally blames Hodgson for both not listening and listening to the press, at the same time.

I feel for English fans, but gently caress those guys.

tbf Hodgson deserves a lot of criticism he's bound to get, he's looked inept.

Lastronaut
Oct 18, 2006
I thought Cahill had a good game, but being in such a position in a game that ends up in defeat, he barely got mentioned in the analysis.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!
So if soccer isn't going home, then where is it?

Extraordinary Perdition
Nov 7, 2007

Crunkjuice posted:

So if soccer isn't going home, then where is it?

Germany. Again. Godammit.

saihttam
Apr 15, 2006
Enter sadman

Charlotte Hornets posted:

remember when Spain bottled all the tourneys like England has for the past 40 years?

they invested more money in football, coaches, pitches and academies and bam..they created the best team in the world for some time

What would the british tiki-taka be called and what would it consist of?

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

saihttam posted:

tika-oh-gently caress-that-oval office-suarez-intercepted-gently caress-nooooooo

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
tikka taka massalla

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Charlotte Hornets posted:

Actually they just bought EPO at the pharmacy

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

I still believe.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

well

we're still doing better than spain

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

vaginal culture posted:

Actually they just bought EPO at the pharmacy

they must invest more in science, synthesize analogues, better HGH peptides etc

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Forza Italia, then. A mathematical chance is still a chance!

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Ich bin ein Italia!

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

saihttam posted:

4-4-2 (but not)

England had a bad performance against the champions of South America in South America. Whoopdy loving do. Cahill looked good, Sterling was lost against a defence that was always going to try and mark him out of the game, Rooney got the World Cup monkey off his back and might finally play without pressure. Woy was at fault for not making subs quickly enough, it was a shame crying out for Lambert in the closing 45 minutes but he only got 10, but you could see that he was trying to give this first XI time and. Wasn't panicking so that's 50/50., Uruguay were lucky with some decisions as well I thought, a lot of momentum breaking fouls that the ref seemed happy with and a red card he bottled. Still need to work on closing down midfield play to stop crosses in, twice in two games is shocking and you can only really blame Baines and Johnson for it.

Here's to thrashing Costa Rica 6-0.

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

No more years of hurt lads its still coming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

i'm not going to read the MDT, i was in the pub.

Passing was awful and uruguay did very well in the way they used lots of niggly fouls to break up the game. The attack was a mess, rooney and sturridge were trying to play in the same area so there was a huge amount of emptyspace behind them where sterling had been in the game against italy. Welbeck was dreadful and should have been off for lallalalalalna at half time at the latest. The midfield was shite, england needed someone to marshall them when they were getting out of shape and getting overrun and a past it oval office of a phil collins fan who single handedly lost a premier league title was not it. He should have been the off for barkley not henderson.

Rooney and sturridge cannot be on the same pitch and that means dropping rooney imo
Gerrard must go, gently caress the 'golden' generation they're all poo poo

• Locked thread