Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Does the player get the transfer fee when they are transferred or whatever

Espns World Cup cartoon is pretty low rent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Kilmers Elbow posted:

Can't even operate a flag with all that fried heroine coursing through his veins.

lmao igtr

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Pissflaps posted:

i still believe in the United States Mens National Team

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Oh No My Equity posted:

This, for me it's not some stupid US vs England thing, it's just funny when a group of people who spend weeks shouting IT'S COMING HOME get humbled.

tbf i'm pretty sure most of it wasn't 100% serious

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

troofs posted:

This was Rooney's only world cup goal ever, he had a number of horrific misses and he was hugely negative in the Italy game as well. He's never achieved anything of note in his international career and almost requires the team to be built around him.

Sterling didn't have the best game but he had a great game against Italy and he is 19 years old.

Of course it's not only Rooney's fault and he's going to get an excessive amount of poo poo because he's the striker, but the fact remains that he and a number of other players on the England team have massively underperformed on an international stage and refusing to hold them accountable because of what they do for their premier league clubs is never going to improve the England team.

he's not done anything on the international stage other than the 40 goals he's scored in 90 appearances, yeah

but tell me more about how you intend to hold a man "accountable" for not being as good in a bad team as he is in a good team

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

euphronius posted:

this makes no sense, so no.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Oh No My Equity posted:

This, for me it's not some stupid US vs England thing, it's just funny when a group of people who spend weeks shouting IT'S COMING HOME get humbled.

youre real loving stupid just letting you know

ps, its coming home bitch

Smokey
Feb 8, 2008
It's a funny old game.

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011

Oh No My Equity posted:

I thought they were doing it sarcastically, or at least mostly sarcastically.

Oh No My Equity
Aug 11, 2013

Quest For Glory II posted:

i'm disappointed that there has not much as much focus on finding the saddest fan in the crowd this year, there's a few moments here or there but surely they can do better

Where's Ice Cream Kid when you need him.

(literally the best thing about 2010)

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

euphronius posted:

no but they'll normally get a signing on fee from their new club

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
hoping Japan mixes it up and come out with a win tonight.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Smokey posted:

It's a funny old game.

It all evens out in the end

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Optimus Subprime posted:

Basketball is actually from Canada.

oh good - a ready-made scapegoat.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

420DD Butts posted:

tbf i'm pretty sure most of it wasn't 100% serious

well, yeah. they can say that now

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Smokey posted:

It's a funny old game.
it is

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Rakosi posted:

actually they are, gently caress anyone that says they aren't.

they sometimes play like football gods

I only really follow Football during World Cups, but I've been a fan of Japan and Korea since they co-hosted the World Cup back in 2002. I know that was apparently some kind of logistical nightmare but I loved that Cup, it was full of underdog performances (but had a Brazil/Germany final!) and I got wrapped up in the whole event in a way I never had before :)

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Vertical Lime posted:

The Maple Leafs build themselves up so much like England like it's life or death

Now the Cubs thing, they're just plain sad :smithcloud:

I just never got the whole "haha your team did the exact same thing it's done for the last fifty years" angle. Most Leafs fans I know recognize any success the franchise has is entirely based on hilarious bullshit luck that won't last and are always waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Yet these sad sack loser teams are more hated than the New England Patriots, Boston Red Sox, and Pittsburgh Penguins combined. :iiam:

oilcheck my ass
Mar 8, 2006

Well, hello ladies.

Pissflaps posted:

i still believe

there have been enough twists and turns already in this wc for this to be a good position to take imo

that said England kinda look terrible and Gerrard needs to be taken out back

Shit Farm
Jan 10, 2013
I feel sorry for Americans who will never hear three lions.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)

Oh No My Equity posted:

it's called being a fan, loving idiot.

try it sometime

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

i think all the english fans truly believed they would win the cup with steven gerrard in midfield

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

So Italy and Jurassic Park have to draw tomorrow for us to have any chance of progressing?

We're dead.

cadfael
Nov 7, 2010

Haha Japan v Greece. Bring it.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bogan Krkic posted:

i think all the english fans truly believed they would win the cup with steven gerrard in midfield

i think they did up until they didn't, op

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

BGrifter posted:

I just never got the whole "haha your team did the exact same thing it's done for the last fifty years" angle. Most Leafs fans I know recognize any success the franchise has is entirely based on hilarious bullshit luck that won't last and are always waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Yet these sad sack loser teams are more hated than the New England Patriots, Boston Red Sox, and Pittsburgh Penguins combined. :iiam:

sure, but have you considered the whole "haha your team did the exact same thing it's done for the last fifty years" angle. Most Leafs fans I know recognize any success the franchise has is entirely based on hilarious bullshit luck that won't last and are always waiting for the other shoe to drop.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

FullLeatherJacket posted:

he's not done anything on the international stage other than the 40 goals he's scored in 90 appearances, yeah

but tell me more about how you intend to hold a man "accountable" for not being as good in a bad team as he is in a good team

loving lol united fan defending united player, this is a meme in this FIFA world cup

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

Cart Cam posted:

I feel sorry for Americans who will never hear three lions.

the 98 version was catchier

Fluo
May 25, 2007

footballs coming home

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Kilmers Elbow posted:

So Italy and Jurassic Park have to draw tomorrow for us to have any chance of progressing?

We're dead.

A draw means England are definitely out, Italy have to smash JP

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Kilmers Elbow posted:

We're dead.

no, if they draw you're (I assume you're english) immediately out of the WC.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
its coming home

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Bogan Krkic posted:

its true i did and i do

its coming home

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

jyrka posted:

Why is there so much Schadenfreude in England losing?

serious/effortpost: because the sport was created there and therefore most English believe they're the best. However, this aptly titled book gives a good explanation as to why they're not. Short version: It's a small country so its talent pool is smaller, and it's located between the edge of the continent and an ocean, and so doesn't have as much of a "melting pot" effect as countries in the middle of Europe. Good read.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Optimus Subprime posted:

Basketball is actually from Canada. Err was invented by a Canadian.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89lJ7P9U3Rs

Heritage Minute up in this thread.

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.

FullLeatherJacket posted:

Ok: I think his spot shouldn't be guaranteed until he stops playing like poo poo in the big tournaments and I don't care how many he scores against Montenegro in qualifying.

basically:

Carrier posted:

anyone who will drop "the golden generation" should be manager

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

BGrifter posted:

i dont undrstand this post

Duro
May 1, 2013

by Lowtax

BGrifter posted:

Never did understand that. It's like NHL fans rooting against the Toronto Maple Leafs, a team that hasn't won since 1967. Or dogpiling on Chicago Cubs fans for that matter.

People dislike the English national team and the Maple Leafs for the exact same reasons: the press are always praising them and shoving every minor accomplishment down our throats, and their fans are delusional and think they have a chance despite decades of constant disappointment.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Bland posted:

i can guarantee you south americans are a lot more insane about football than england m8

Ya they definitely go hard on the costumes which is cool, but they aren't posting about the sport in a language I'm fluent in so i don't have easy access to their emotional pain*.

Quest For Glory II posted:

i'm disappointed that there has not much as much focus on finding the saddest fan in the crowd this year, there's a few moments here or there but surely they can do better

there were some fun shots in the 2-1 Japan loss but it'll get way better in the next stage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

do people actually think the "it's coming home" is serious?

oh dear

• Locked thread