Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

What the gently caress am I watching?

It's like the old "tennis balls in the coil spring" trick, except you can adjust your spring rates by feeding or starving the cat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

http://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/52264/The-GTA-Online-I-m-Not-a-Hipster-Update-Is-Now-Available

Newest GTAV update has a gasser style Falcon, 510/KGC10 that you can boso, Citroen SM, Gremlin and that 6 wheeler G Wagen.

The youga style Dodge van is still my favourite.

This game can not come out for PC fast enough. GTA IV is still my favorite driving game. Yeah, it's not realistic, but man is it ever fun.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

This game can not come out for PC fast enough. GTA IV is still my favorite driving game. Yeah, it's not realistic, but man is it ever fun.
Any website that has GTA:IV cars to download will also have some GTA:V cars that they ripped from a 360 disk, if you don't want to wait so long.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Seriously. The map, the physics, the car customizing... GTA V is pretty loving great to play around in. I think Rockstar finally announced a date for the PC / Bone / PS4 at E3. I want to say November this year?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah, it shows as being late 2014 on Steam.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That's going to be a long wait. The jagginess of the 360 version is painful.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Rhyno posted:

I guess the area is called Pepper Pike, a slightly upscale area? Know anything about this place? Proximity to downtown? How car enthusiast unfriendly is Cleveland? Taylor (the lady) got a parking ticket yesterday at a parking meter but the meter wasn't expired.

Edit: oh yeah, this just happened.

199.6. Under 200 for the first time in god knows when, 20 pounds lost.

Congrats on the weight loss!

I am not familiar with that town but based off of Google that's on the east side and I'm on the west side. The city that it's right next to, Beachwood, is very affluent. They had a bunch of million dollar cars at the Cleveland auto show this year and I believe the dealership that sells them was located there.
I think it's at least 30 minutes from downtown but I'm not super familiar with the area.

Not really sure what you mean by not car enthusiast friendly. What are you planning on doing?

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 223 days!)

Goddamn loving noisy AW50-40LE planetary bitchface something something.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Moved on from the Fusion to a Taurus with My Ford Touch and my god is this interface horrible; how does anyone stand it?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

mafoose posted:

On the pizza chat, I worked at a pizza place that recommended keeping another shirt in the car if for some reason we were involved in an accident.

We don't use car signs, so we can always just pull the "I'm on my way to work" line. But yeah, unofficially, everywhere I've worked said to keep another shirt handy. I always have one on under my uniform shirt anyway.

The Midniter posted:

A couple months ago my apartment complex came under new ownership. Since then, on two occasions, I've noticed bright orange stickers slapped on any cars with expired tags/registrations warning that they'd be towed within the next three days or so if they don't get renewed.

I just think the practice of towing your lessee's cars is shady as gently caress and a kick in the nuts. Woe to the renter who hasn't updated his tags because it would require a valid inspection that he knows he would fail because he can't afford to fix his leaky exhaust because he makes poo poo money as a pizza delivery guy (not hating on you STR!). Congratulations, now you have lost your means of employment, and owe $350 you don't have to a towing company as well as any storage fees.

Every apartment complex I've lived in had a clause in the lease about towing "inoperable vehicles". They usually defined that as expired tags, flat tires, hasn't moved in several days, or obviously hosed.

And every complex I've lived in enforced it.

I refuse to ever live on a property where they required parking permits (and visitor permits). THAT rubs me the wrong way, and all the tow operator has to say is they couldn't see the permit.

Also, expired tags are an immediate "you can't work until your tags are current" at chain pizza places. My store does 6 month inspections of vehicles, and also glances at your tags whenever they walk through the parking lot. We have one driver who can't afford to fix all the poo poo on her car (she moved from CO a year ago, and can't title it here since it won't pass safety [ball joints, cracked taillight, no muffler, brake pedal goes to the floor, no working parking brake, etc etc etc], though it does pass emissions); she's waiting tables for us now. :smith:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I prefer complexes with parking permits. We have a neighbor with 3 cars, a truck and a bike in the lot where we're supposed to park our cars. I'm keeping the 6 over by the leasing office with their permission, the Civic is in the garage for now and the Miata is daily driven. I still have to park on the other side of the building half the time because of the lot hog.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Assigned townhouse parking, bitches. Also, we're the only lot with a back gate, and it opens right to the side street, so it's practically unlimited parking out there because nobody wants to walk around. It's GLO-RI-OUS :allears:

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Best parking is a field where you can go ahead and park whatever the gently caress and when you mow, find stuff from whenever the gently caress.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I have 4 vehicles parked in the space most people on my block park 1, and keep more neglected projects in a storage yard.

The people across from me have no problem parking 10 vehicles on the street, some for weeks at a time, with no reguard for the complete lack of parking up there

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
gently caress living in an apartment ever again.

Its bad enough having neighbors whine about a bike parked out front. its a whole different ballgame when they run into it with their shitbox.

Or they only allow one gate key per apartment, so you have to get 'creative' to get into your place of residence.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

If there's a callbox, just give them a Google Voice #. And have the appropriate tone to open the gate in the greeting. :v: (or forward the GV# to your mobile)

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I'm pretty lucky with my current apartment. The management is nice and they're here 6 days a week too (plus I think an on-call maintenance guy but I've never had reason to call). It is a pricey place though. Underground gated parking too, though I'm trying to sell another car to cut down on the monthly fee.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

some texas redneck posted:

If there's a callbox, just give them a Google Voice #. And have the appropriate tone to open the gate in the greeting. :v: (or forward the GV# to your mobile)

It was loving RFID tags at this place. I was able to sneak around the spike strip with my motorcycle. the car? ehh. piece of scrap metal and I was in.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

No guest callbox? :stare: Even the super ghetto places I've lived had them.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I live in a townhouse with an assigned spot then a few unassigned spots for visitors. Luckily, my place is next to the office/pool so it's a giant carpark compared to the rest of the buildings (15 or 20 unassigned spots instead of 5 or 10)

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

I've been lucky and only lived in an apartment for a few months when I first moved to Tennessee. One parking spot where I parked my leaky VW pickup (I had to keep a drip tray under it) and a motorcycle. Eventually they bitched that I needed to pay for another spot for the bike so it lived in my living room.

Now I'm spoiled. Three cars and two motorcycles in the garage, one car in the driveway, two project bikes in a shed then two cars in the back yard (parts car and brother's wrecked E30). Think I could fit 6-8 cars in the driveway pretty easily.

Well German guy I was working with left for vacation yesterday afternoon...running the sites solo now for 5 weeks. Installing new hardware today, some more stuff next week and a bunch of ongoing things. Should be interesting.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Intel just announced it is doing some stuff in reconfigurable computing that is really close to one of the five or six ideas a friend and I had for a research project in, oh, 05 or 06 or so.

We probably should have patented those ideas back then :sigh: too late now.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I just found out that the woman selling the gt6 restoration project decided she couldn't bear the thought of having anyone other than her dead husband driving it so she had it crushed.

:what:

I'm so angry right now.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Looking for a cheapish hotel for my road trip and found Basecamp Bonn, I'm not going to spoil the surprise but check this place out.

http://www.basecamp-bonn.com/

Hardest part will be deciding which 'room' I'd like to stay in. So drat cool, I'm tempted to stay there two nights even though it's an hour or more from my destination.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Cakefool posted:

I just found out that the woman selling the gt6 restoration project decided she couldn't bear the thought of having anyone other than her dead husband driving it so she had it crushed.

:what:

I'm so angry right now.

If it makes you feel better, her husband is probably spinning in his grave.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Terrible Robot posted:

If it makes you feel better, her husband is probably spinning in his grave.

Plot twist: He was "buried" in the car.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I'm pretty sure she should crush herself and go be with him and his car. gently caress you, lady.

Last night I was witness to a miracle.

The muffler fell off my aunt's very rusty 97 Rav4. And it had a massive exhaust manifold gasket leak. So we decided she'd just order a whole exhaust system (minus the manifold) and I'd install it, then she could return anything I didn't use.

Now, mind you, this thing looks like it spent 10 years on the bottom of the sea, and all the exhaust hardware is fine thread metric mild steel, no stainless, no brass.

All 6 manifold studs/nuts came off the studs or out of the head with no sweat.

All 3 precat to downpipe nuts came off the studs with no sweat. Well, one worried me for a little, I had to loosen/tighten a few times to knock the rust out. That one was so rusted that I had to use a 14mm socket instead of a 16mm, though.

I sawzalled the rest of the pipes out because they were all junk.

Oh the freakiest part? I used NO pb-blaster or wd40. None. They all unscrewed dry.

The only curveball it threw me was the threads on the rearmost manifold stud pulling out of the alloy head... the manifold gasket was badly blown on that cylinder and the stud was barely past hand tight when I took it out so I'm pretty sure that was the cause of the problem not something I broke. Helicoil kit on order, problem solved.

I wish all exhaust projects on rotboxes went that smoothly.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

kastein posted:

I'm pretty sure she should crush herself and go be with him and his car. gently caress you, lady.

Last night I was witness to a miracle.

The muffler fell off my aunt's very rusty 97 Rav4. And it had a massive exhaust manifold gasket leak. So we decided she'd just order a whole exhaust system (minus the manifold) and I'd install it, then she could return anything I didn't use.

Now, mind you, this thing looks like it spent 10 years on the bottom of the sea, and all the exhaust hardware is fine thread metric mild steel, no stainless, no brass.

All 6 manifold studs/nuts came off the studs or out of the head with no sweat.

All 3 precat to downpipe nuts came off the studs with no sweat. Well, one worried me for a little, I had to loosen/tighten a few times to knock the rust out. That one was so rusted that I had to use a 14mm socket instead of a 16mm, though.

I sawzalled the rest of the pipes out because they were all junk.

Oh the freakiest part? I used NO pb-blaster or wd40. None. They all unscrewed dry.

The only curveball it threw me was the threads on the rearmost manifold stud pulling out of the alloy head... the manifold gasket was badly blown on that cylinder and the stud was barely past hand tight when I took it out so I'm pretty sure that was the cause of the problem not something I broke. Helicoil kit on order, problem solved.

I wish all exhaust projects on rotboxes went that smoothly.

What the gently caress, are you a wizard?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

What the gently caress, are you a wizard?

I prefer the term "rustmancer", really.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Ken is the smartest bull to ever enter a china shop

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Using a sawzall to cut out the stock exhaust and throwing it in the recycling bin was one of the most satisfying car things I've ever done.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

NitroSpazzz posted:

Looking for a cheapish hotel for my road trip and found Basecamp Bonn, I'm not going to spoil the surprise but check this place out.

Hardest part will be deciding which 'room' I'd like to stay in. So drat cool, I'm tempted to stay there two nights even though it's an hour or more from my destination.

There's a semi local place that I've been wanting to check out that is similar just outside an old copper mining town carved into a mountain side.

http://www.theshadydell.com

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

NitroSpazzz posted:

Trabi tent, no question. Just too ridiculous to pass over.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

kastein posted:

It's not possible, it's not possible. I'm afeared, paw.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Was the engine, perhaps, leaking oil so badly that it had continuously coated the exhaust system?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Using a 4 pound engineers sledge to literally break a manual transmission housing in half was probably the most satisfying automotive destruction I've ever done.

Or maybe splitting a seized EJ25 in half with a splitting maul. Case bolt removal optional.

e: Nope. Only two bolts had any oil on them, the two that hold the upstream catalytic converter mounting bracket to the block. PS gently caress YOU Toyota for making that drat bracket wrap around the oil dipstick and mount to the cat with studs. Good job making my life hard.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

kastein posted:

I prefer the term "rustmancer", really.

Studying from the Oxidinominicon?

Okay, it was bad.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
RE: apartment parking

I couldn't afford to fix my car one winter and bummed rides for a while. After a few months the apartment office said something to my room mate and I went to move my car to the spot directly across from it so they could plow out my spot. Under a couple inches of snow on the windshield was a months old sticker from the police department telling me to move my poo poo or get towed in three days.

Where I live now has assigned parking for numbered spots and stickers that are supposed to be in your window, but its completely unenforced and none of my current neighbors even have stickers.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

My last apartment had 7 parking spots for two buildings, one of which was a handicap spot. Each building has six individual apartments in it. That was a lot of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Phone posted:

Using a sawzall to cut out the stock exhaust and throwing it in the recycling bin was one of the most satisfying car things I've ever done.

Ive been limping the lovely stock exhaust on my Subaru along for the 2 years Ive had it. I swear I must have been under there with my welder or tightening something or putting muffler fixer on it at least twice a month. Ive got the money and now I just need the time to replace everything from the exhaust flanges on the head back. I cant wait to sawzall that bitch out and dance around on its rusty corpse.

• Locked thread