Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

ceebee posted:

I talked to the landlord and he told me that I would forfeit my security deposit (1 months rent, $1100) and I would have to pay the remainder of the 30 day notice from today (June 16th-July 15th) which would be about $550. I'm curious about the validity of this and whether or not I might be able to avoid having to not only forfeit my security deposit but pay for half a month that I will already be gone by (I plan on being completely out of here by June 30th).

Even if those are the terms of the lease, that's pretty dumb. Under those circumstances you could just pay the full month of July, get your deposit back at the end, and come out $550 ahead. If nothing else, talk to him about doing a walkthrough at the end of June, confirming that everything is shipshape, and taking the security deposit in lieu of last month's rent.

I suspect he's trying to screw you over, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
That's actually a great idea. I should be able to pull that off if I get my next check. Otherwise I'm boned pretty hard. And yeah, he's a dick.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
In California, you can only be charged for lost rent. Landlord must make their best effort to re-rent.

You give 0 days notice, pack up today, tell landlord you're gone, you leave the place spic-and-span, ready to rent, other terms of your lease fulfilled, landlord must start advertising tomorrow and make best efforts to re-rent, if they get somebody in before the end of June they actually have to refund you the remainder of June's rent as well as your deposit.

I am not a lawyer, but I am a CA landlord, and this is my understanding.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

terre packet posted:

Today I bought and started taking two 25mg Benadryl pills every four hours, made an appointment with my doctor, am staying the hell away from the new furniture, and vacuumed the whole apartment and am airing it out right now. Any other ideas on what else I can do to put an end to this itchy misery?
Spend 24 hours away from the new apartment?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

terre packet posted:

Today I bought and started taking two 25mg Benadryl pills every four hours, made an appointment with my doctor, am staying the hell away from the new furniture, and vacuumed the whole apartment and am airing it out right now. Any other ideas on what else I can do to put an end to this itchy misery?

Do you have bed bugs? You probably have bed bugs.

Did you buy new sheets or anything like that? New furniture might be the problem, but it seems to me like you would have noticed if you had a dog allergy or something before.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007

kedo posted:

Do you have bed bugs? You probably have bed bugs.

Did you buy new sheets or anything like that? New furniture might be the problem, but it seems to me like you would have noticed if you had a dog allergy or something before.

I just started suspecting bed bugs today due to some welts that appeared on my chest & back. I busted out a flashlight and went over my entire mattress looking for bedbug detritus with no luck. I did some Googling but I don't understand what new sheets have to do with bedbugs – I'll throw out both my sheets and mattress/box spring if that's what it takes to get rid of these things (if they are indeed the culprit).

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Bed bugs take a lot more to get rid of them. But I wouldn't jump to that conclusion yet, especially since the itching is all over, right? Did you move between hard and soft, or city and well, water? Are you using a different kind of soap? Did you clean your old/new place and maybe get exposed to a harsh cleaner? Is the new place heated or air conditioned more or differently?

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
My first thought was mold/mildew in the air ducts and a mold allergy. My mold allergies never manifest in all over itchiness but everyone is different.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
It could be a metric fuckton of things. Did you change laundry detergents?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

terre packet posted:

I did some Googling but I don't understand what new sheets have to do with bedbugs – I'll throw out both my sheets and mattress/box spring if that's what it takes to get rid of these things (if they are indeed the culprit).

I think those were separate suggestions. If you bought new bedsheets and put them on without washing, it could cause a problem. A lot of times new linens come out of the factory with some harsher residue than we're used to, and if you don't wash them before using them it can cause a reaction.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

terre packet posted:

I just started suspecting bed bugs today due to some welts that appeared on my chest & back. I busted out a flashlight and went over my entire mattress looking for bedbug detritus with no luck. I did some Googling but I don't understand what new sheets have to do with bedbugs – I'll throw out both my sheets and mattress/box spring if that's what it takes to get rid of these things (if they are indeed the culprit).

Bedbug bites would typically be on the legs, a lot of time you will see three bites in a more or less straight line. What you described sounds like an allergy. I've seen one situation before where someone had big time problems immediately after moving into a unit with new carpet. Our best guess was the off gassing of the new carpet caused it. But I have no idea how long it will take for that to dissipate. The person in question moved out because their allergies were so bad.

The new (unwashed) bedsheets are also a good candidate though.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Thanks for all the suggestions. To answer all the questions: no new sheets, no new laundry detergent, no new water type, no hard cleaners, same type of HVAC. The itching has definitely lessened and the welts only appeared the first night so I'm guessing it's the carpet. I'm going to continue airing it out (I bought two Vornado 660s – they are worth every penny) and will talk to my doctor next week to see what her suggestions are.

I guess after so many problem-free moves I was due for a nightmare move-in situation.

mguirk the jerk
Apr 26, 2014

i cant even spell my name god help me
Dunno if anyone remembers me as my former name (Fixed Gear Guy), but two years ago, I posted to this thread asking about splitting a $1400/mo loft with my girlfriend. The goon consensus was that it would work out fine and I should have a backup plan in case girlfriend and I split.

Well, surprise, we got engaged and later split up! :classiclol: I've been footing the entire rent for the last three or four months, and I'll be outta here in September. Luckily I make enough money that the rent isn't totally killing me. I'm still living pretty well, going out to the bar whenever I want.

I think I'm going to make a big life change as a result of my new-found freedom; either by a new career or a new location. But I want to save up a bit of cash at my current, cushy job before I peace out. What are some options for living without commitments for 4-6 months? I plan on moving most of my stuff into a storage unit, and, if I do move, selling a good chunk of it. However, I'm not sure about a place to lay my head.

I can bum at my sister's four a couple months, but she's been kind to me and I don't want to be a burden. I also (briefly) thought about living like an urban nomad... basically using extended stay hotels and AirBnB for a couple months, and sleeping at my work's crash pad if I can't grab a place for a couple days. I think a more sane approach is to just hop across super-cheap sublets for a couple months. Any other ideas are appreciated.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
If you know the area you want to bum around, check craigslist for people wanting to get out of their lease early. I see a couple of posts like that every so often (e.g. four months left on lease, need someone to take it over).

E: just realized your last line basically says the same thing. :shobon:

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Apartment hunting is so stressful. Hunting out craigslist apartment shares is basically hoping you win a popularity contest between you and everyone else looking at the place. :(

Initio
Oct 29, 2007
!
This time of year, check the apartments near the colleges in your area. There should be plenty of places that would lease the place to you for the summer.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I thought of that, but I'm looking to move to a place with a steady living situation for the next 3-4 years -- subletting (especially with college students in such a transient stage of their lives!) isn't going to do me much good. I'm living for free right now outside of the city I'm moving into, so there's no rush. It's just a little frustrating seeing a place I'd really like to move into and then not getting to sign a lease. Just needed to vent a bit, I guess.

Thanks Internet
May 27, 2012

This poster just flew all the way from Caketown just to make this post!

Now THAT'S desperate!
I have a 17" X 21" poster that I'd like to frame/hang in my bathroom. How would I go about doing that so that it doesn't get destroyed by steam?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
If you frame it, steam shouldn't be a significant issue. I have a poster with an acrylic glass over it hanging in my bathroom for the past year or so and haven't had any issues with it. I guess if you've got no ventilation in the bathroom and you really care about the poster, it might not be worth the risk.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere
You could get it laminated at a copy shop.

Or you could buy some clear silicone caulk or sealer and try to make the frame itself as airtight as possible.

Thanks Internet
May 27, 2012

This poster just flew all the way from Caketown just to make this post!

Now THAT'S desperate!
Yeah, it gets really steamy in there, so getting it laminated sounds like the way to go. Thanks for the answers.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

I have a bookshelf (this one from ikea) right next to my bed and I'd like to store some books there. Since the shelf space is so huge, I could stack them on top of each other, but I'm not sure what to get or where to find them. I was hoping that the container store had some shelf risers or whatever, but they're all like this and I don't think the spaces between the wires would be good for holding up books. Any suggestions?

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Do you have the ability to cut sheets of plywood to make additional shelves?

Either way, I can't imagine buying a second bookshelf and discarding the uprights would be any more expensive than cutting shelves yourself.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Those shelves are only 3/4" and the whole thing looks flimsy as hell. I really don't think you want to stack a bunch of books on it.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

Oh, I'm not using it as a bookshelf, I just want to stack books on the shelf that's right next to my bed.

If that makes it clearer (sorry about the mess). I also don't want to add another shelf - just create a little mini-bookcase out of something somehow.

Splash Attack fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jun 21, 2014

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
A sheet of anything solid, from cardboard to pressboard will work.

You can also build a less ghetto looking shelf out of a 1x6 or 1x8 and a couple of screws or nails.

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

I hope this is the right place to ask this. I'm looking for some advice on my recourse as a tenant. I moved into a one bedroom apartment in Denver in February. Its an awesome place, especially for the price, and location. The problem was my neighbors were apparently loving animals. The landlord evicted two families living next to and below me for not paying rent, and their places were disgusting. He told me later that there were roaches living in the refrigerator. The landlord sprayed pesticides all over their apartments, but didn't mention any of it to me. So all the roaches fled to my apartment. I keep my place pretty clean, and now every night there are actually roaches crawling all over the walls. The landlord has had someone come to spray twice, but its not working. What should I do?

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
What do you want?

If you want to break the lease and move, then ask the landlord if you can break the lease and move.

If you want to stay and be roach free, then ask the landlord to spray again and stay.

If the landlord says yes, move forward. If the landlord says no, then you have some decisions to make.

I realize that want you want is for all the roaches to magically disappear, but that's what the landlord wants too, and it's not there yet. Roaches are hard to kill. Spray won't work, try gel bait (MAX force gel). It will kill them, but it'll take a few weeks. In the mean time, stop spraying.

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

I think I'm just going to pick some of this up myself, rather than having to wait for the landlord to pull it together. Thanks so much for the advice. The reviews on amazon are crazy positive.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

Beast Pussy posted:

I think I'm just going to pick some of this up myself, rather than having to wait for the landlord to pull it together. Thanks so much for the advice. The reviews on amazon are crazy positive.

BORIC ACID BORIC ACID BORIC ACID

Put it here, put it there, put it down everywhere!

Top of shelves, under counter, under fridge, under stove - anywhere a bug would rove!

BORIC ACID BORIC ACID BORIC ACID

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

Hell, why not? Some of that for good measure, too.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Boric Acid is the slow boat to China. It's more of a preventative measure. But it's cheap, so you can put it everywhere.

If you want to see dead roaches fast... Maxfocre gel.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

photomikey posted:

Boric Acid is the slow boat to China. It's more of a preventative measure. But it's cheap, so you can put it everywhere.

If you want to see dead roaches fast... Maxfocre gel.

Yes, I definitely meant it as an "in addition to." I find it helps make sure you get every last one of the suckers.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
How has goon luck been in taking on a roommate from Craigslist? My girlfriend and I are about to have a spare bedroom in our place, and as we're both a little hard up for money right now we've been talking about posting the room on Craigslist and renting it out for the remaining 5-6(?) months of our lease. However, my experiences with roommates in the past has been hit-or-miss at best, even with people that I knew at the time, so while it's the right decision financially I'm not sure how comfortable I am inviting a stranger to live with us (and we don't know anyone in town that needs a place). But I feel like I know people who have gone in blind to roommate situations in the past and been OK or even great, so maybe I'm just paranoid. Does anyone want to share some success stories to help ease my fears?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jun 27, 2014

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

I got a roommate from craigslist and lived with him for 3-4 years. He was great.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

the littlest prince posted:

I got a roommate from craigslist and lived with him for 3-4 years. He was great.

OK but I don't think C-Euro is looking for a J.O. bro.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

He would be foolish to pass up the opportunity for a JO bro, though, if one came around.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Yeah at the date, don't jump to conclusions like that at :v:

In all seriousness though, can you tell into more detail on how you ended up with said roommate? Did you sit down with them to discuss things beforehand, how long did it take for them to not feel like a stranger, etc.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
Invite people to come to your home, make a pot of coffee, show them around, and then sit down and chat about each of your expectations about what communal living is like. Be honest, be genuine, and only accept someone who is the same. I've been living with my craigslist roommate for a year and we basically agreed that kitchen counters should be clear, the dishwasher should be run once a week, and we were both fine with someone knocking on the bathroom door to speed things up. If someone gives you a bad vibe, do NOT give them the benefit of the doubt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious
Ive never had a CL roommate, but one of my friends had two and is still super good friends with both of them even after they moved out for various reasons. A coworker had a less pleasant experience with her CL roommate, who paid the rent on time and cleaned but was into some shady stuff on the side. All of these were women, so I don't know how different it would be for CL dudes.

I actually found housing through Reddit, and though I didn't end up living in a roommate situation, I had an offer. Being able to trace a person online certainly gives you a decent impression of the kind of person they are, and adding that to the normal meeting up and talking about stuff should hopefully alert you to any red flags.