Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

Zorak posted:

We do know a liiiittle about the core set Planeswalkers, given that we've been getting a lot of physical merchandising based on M15 recently. Not that this merchandising necessarily aligns with reality, but:

There's probably going to be six Planeswalkers in the coreset: the Lorwyn 5 + Nissa, which probably means Garruk will be GB. The art on the boxing is new Jace art, new Garruk art, new Nissa art, Chandra Pyromaster, and Liliana 1.0. Of course, with the new art they could just be new-art versions of older cards, so no idea.

We're unlikely to see Jace Memory Adept and Liliana of the Dark Realms again because Magic R&D have acknowledged since even before M14 actually came out that Jace Memory Adept is just obnoxious in limited even as a Mythic, and they've also said that they screwed up Liliana of the Dark Realms since she doesn't really play like a Liliana should. She's too diluted.

To be honest I would not be surprised if the new-art Jace was a reprint of either Jace 1.0 with new art or a reprint of Architect of Thought with new art. Both are good without being oppressive / obnoxious.

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Come oooooon mono black garruk.

I could have sworn that it was in this thread that someone mentioned WotC said they wanted to return to the Garruk being GB because that is who he is. He was Garruk, Primal Hunter tainted with Black mana, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Angry Grimace posted:

I also don't think they really care that much about Super Standard. The current monoblack devotion deck won't exist when Tarkir block is legal unless Tarkir block has some serious enablers that plug right in where Pack Rat, Desecration Demon, Underworld Connections and Mutavault are.

Even with all that gone, a mono black aggro deck probably would be pretty good with LOTV. Thought seize and heros downfall are just really good cards, and Lily would even blunt the disadvantage of Master of the Feast.

Edit: I'm just spitballing about the deck, I have no idea if wizards cares about super standard.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God
They've said a couple times that the two recent issues with planeswalkers are:
1. Unfocused in what some do. Liliana of the Dark Realms is not necromancer-y. She shouldn't care about swamps. Each 'walker has a specialty and that should be what they focus on.
2. Garruk has been misrepresented because the core set keeps showing him "not corrupted".

Ideally you should be able to see the flavor/mechanical differences between each character with each character having a similar sort of approach. Chandra, Koth and Tibalt are good examples. They're all mono-red 'walkers but mechanically they have different feels.
Chandra flat out burns things (Pyromancer), Koth interacts with mountains (Geomancer), and then Tibalt does that pain thing he do.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I plan on picking up Duels 14 if it goes on sale during the summer sale. Is getting the version with the unlock keys generally advisable? I actually prefer having an additional small incentive for continuing to play but I'd probably never see 50%+ of those cards otherwise. Can you apply the keys selectively? (Question also relevant to the holo keys; that seems really dumb.)

One year Daily MTG readers were allowed to vote for the land art to be used in a core set (I think probably 8 or 9) and Avon ended up with like 90% of the picks.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

GonSmithe posted:

You do have a stop in the Declare Blockers step on your turn?

It used to allow me but it passed right completely right now.

I attack with invisible stalker......hit ok

MODO asks player to declare blockers which he cant

Then before damage was assigned I used to be able to activate ninjutsu, but it just skips right to the damage dealt if he declares no blockers

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

It used to allow me but it passed right completely right now.

I attack with invisible stalker......hit ok

MODO asks player to declare blockers which he cant

Then before damage was assigned I used to be able to activate ninjutsu, but it just skips right to the damage dealt if he declares no blockers

You need to manually put a stop on your turn in their blockers step, you must have turned it off at some point.

Click the "declare blockers step" thing on the left side of the screen during a game, and hit "set a stop on my turn." Otherwise it's in Gameplay settings.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Boxman posted:

Edit: I'm just spitballing about the deck, I have no idea if wizards cares about super standard.

We know for a fact that they do. They have said they originally wanted to put Range of Eos in M14, but decided not to because they thought Ranger of Eos + Doomed Traveler was too strong despite them only sharing a super standard.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

GonSmithe posted:

You need to manually put a stop on your turn in their blockers step, you must have turned it off at some point.

Click the "declare blockers step" thing on the left side of the screen during a game, and hit "set a stop on my turn." Otherwise it's in Gameplay settings.

This is one of the good features of the beta. You can turn the stops on and off by clicking the little triangles on the phases across the middle, no need to go into settings menus and crap. Easy on, easy off, very clearly displayed where the stops are on each turn.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Boxman posted:

Even with all that gone, a mono black aggro deck probably would be pretty good with LOTV. Thought seize and heros downfall are just really good cards, and Lily would even blunt the disadvantage of Master of the Feast.

Well, I don't think they think extra hard about balancing the blocks based on the two months the core sets overlap. Master of the Feast is unplayable in any real deck because if the meta involved using it, you'd just side in pacify effects. As a standard card, I don't think she's even all that overpowered. I'm not entirely sure what MBD would even take out to put Liliana in the deck.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Zorak posted:

We know for a fact that they do. They have said they originally wanted to put Range of Eos in M14, but decided not to because they thought Ranger of Eos + Doomed Traveler was too strong despite them only sharing a super standard.

I imagine they especially care now that there's going to be a super-standard Pro Tour.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

BaronVonVaderham posted:

This is one of the good features of the beta. You can turn the stops on and off by clicking the little triangles on the phases across the middle, no need to go into settings menus and crap. Easy on, easy off, very clearly displayed where the stops are on each turn.

But... you can do this in the current version? Just right click on the phase.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
This is probably my favorite 'feature' of the wide beta (how did my opponent win but I won the match? is that from game 2?)

Also a PSA: don't assume 2 deathrites beats dredge. Also the safer play is to hit narcomoebas/nether shadows/ichorids with your deathrites as opposed to dredgers.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jun 19, 2014

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Zoness posted:

This is probably my favorite 'feature' of the wide beta (how did my opponent win but I won the match? is that from game 2?)

Also a PSA: don't assume 2 deathrites beats dredge. Also the safer play is to hit narcomoebas/nether shadows/ichorids with your deathrites as opposed to dredgers.

How good is Legacy Dredge anyways? Its completely format warping in Vintage, but I don't know much about the deck in Legacy since I don't even know how it would work without Bazaar.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Attorney at Funk posted:

I'd love to see people try to curve Waste Not into Liliana of the Veil in Standard.

With a Thoughtseize first.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Angry Grimace posted:

How good is Legacy Dredge anyways? Its completely format warping in Vintage, but I don't know much about the deck in Legacy since I don't even know how it would work without Bazaar.

It's a solid deck. In Legacy there are two main versions, one that runs LEDs and lands (including Cephalid Coliseum as sort of a "No Bazaar, huh? What else ya got?") and one that runs zero or almost-zero lands that goes off with an end-of-turn discard. There are a few variations within each of those, but those are the main two. Even without Bazaar it's still one of the most potentially explosive decks in the format, but it is weak to hate. The plus side is that unlike Vintage where everyone is ready to deal with Dredge, in Legacy metagames it tends to wax and wane so if you bring it while nobody's expecting much of it, it can do very well.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Angry Grimace posted:

Choose to go second, discard cards eot and then start dredging/pitch your hand to Phantasmagorian. It has the capacity to be very quick.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Hopping Ghost posted:

It's a solid deck. In Legacy there are two main versions, one that runs LEDs and lands (including Cephalid Coliseum as sort of a "No Bazaar, huh? What else ya got?") and one that runs zero or almost-zero lands that goes off with an end-of-turn discard. There are a few variations within each of those, but those are the main two. Even without Bazaar it's still one of the most potentially explosive decks in the format, but it is weak to hate. The plus side is that unlike Vintage where everyone is ready to deal with Dredge, in Legacy metagames it tends to wax and wane so if you bring it while nobody's expecting much of it, it can do very well.

They might have the cards, but at least on MTGO's Vintage scene, most people tend to deal with Dredge kind of poorly by aggressively mulling to hate even in heavy draw decks regardless of what else in hand.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Hopping Ghost posted:

This is kinda the principle for all gimmick decks in all formats really. As we recently saw with RDW/Sligh at the SCG Invitational last weekend.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
True. At least some of the builds can be consistent and grindy enough to succeed in spite of the hate, though a lot of Legacy dredge deckbuilding seems to boil down to a conscious choice of which piece of hate you want to be soft to this week. Until recently I was playing Hollywood's "Blue Manaless," which was a lot of fun - mostly watching opponents mull to hate in game two, only to get it countered by a Force of Will that isn't supposed to be in manaless dredge - until people figured out that there is literally nothing it can do about a turn-0 Leyline of the Void. Nowadays I'm back to LEDs when I get the urge to dredge.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
I just had a tarmogoyf and a thoughtseize go missing at an LGS modern night. Bad people are out there so let my lesson be a reminder to police your poo poo.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

TWSS posted:

I just had a tarmogoyf and a thoughtseize go missing at an LGS modern night. Bad people are out there so let my lesson be a reminder to police your poo poo.

:stare: The thoughtseize isn't insanely bad, but I would strip search everyone for a goyf. Why was it singled out?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Mortimer posted:

:stare: The thoughtseize isn't insanely bad, but I would strip search everyone for a goyf. Why was it singled out?

Because it's a goyf?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

The Lord of Hats posted:

Because it's a goyf?

I meant why the guy got a goyf and a thoughtseize and not a whole deck or 2-3-4 goyfs

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Mortimer posted:

I meant why the guy got a goyf and a thoughtseize and not a whole deck or 2-3-4 goyfs

Thieves are typically not:

1. Smart
2. Particularly good at what they do
3. Planning these things out

It's just it tends to happen when you're not expecting it and that's a lot of opportunity to get away with things.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
The most common way I've seen cards go missing is from gameplay when cards switch sides of the battlefield either by exiling effects or "gain control of" effects. 2nd most common way is when someone asks to casually take a look at your deck. Most of the time it's completely innocent, but it's probably a good idea to double-check you have all of your $100+ cards before you leave.

My friend was way too trusting once and let another LGS regular play with his deck against another deck my friend was testing. During the game, the other guy goes to the bathroom, comes back and finishes the game, then leaves. Then my friend looks through his deck and notices Mutavaults, Stormbreath Dragons, and shock lands missing.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I still don't understand why people piss in their own pool like that. I mean sure, go steal some cards in/from an LGS that is nowhere near where you live but to do it where you're a regular and lose your hobby and hangout place as a result? Lol

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

tzirean posted:

Going to see if I can get streaming figured out, then perhaps I'll use my winnings for a draft tomorrow night.

As promised, starting a draft in a couple minutes at http://www.hitbox.tv/tzir and hoping nothing blows up.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Just to counter the sadchat, I played a guy last week and he used an ashiok to put my polukranos into play. I didn't realize it was missing until this week when he came up to me and said "hey I think I took your polukranos."

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Angry Grimace posted:

Honestly? I know this is super spitballing, but I am expecting an extremely strong Dredge card in Khans block. They've recently solidified Red Looting as part of its pie; Red discards first when it loots, before drawing. If they print a very strong, cheap red looter card to push the mechanic it'll go right into Dredge.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Honestly? I know this is super spitballing, but I am expecting an extremely strong Dredge card in Khans block. They've recently solidified Red Looting as part of its pie; Red discards first when it loots, before drawing. If they print a very strong, cheap red looter card to push the mechanic it'll go right into Dredge.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
Hey guys I heard the new mechanic from Khans is called Pwning and you put cards from your graveyard on top of your library but its only legal in Commander.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

Kasonic posted:

Hey guys I heard the new mechanic from Khans is called Pwning and you put cards from your graveyard on top of your library but its only legal in Commander.

From your opponent's graveyard, you mean?

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

tzirean posted:

As promised, starting a draft in a couple minutes at http://www.hitbox.tv/tzir and hoping nothing blows up.

This is now the Foil Underground Sea draft. 1-0 after round 1, kinda sorta playing Madness.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

tzirean posted:

This is now the Foil Underground Sea draft. 1-0 after round 1, kinda sorta playing Madness.
don't place your bets on this goon he got OUT loving SKILLED by Goblins G1 - he did win games 2 and 3 though.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Reading Rosewater over the years this is not how I imagined him sounding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpXwpmm8GXQ

He's so excited! And obviously really loves his job. I mean he's been do this for what, nearly 20 years?

(This isn't a brand new video, I'm just lazily catching up with magic).

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Listen to his podcast. Dude loves his job.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
I really want to play this deck!

From the GP Chicago Primer.

gingerberger
Jun 20, 2014

Gotta love my Squirtle Swag

Hopping Ghost posted:

True. At least some of the builds can be consistent and grindy enough to succeed in spite of the hate, though a lot of Legacy dredge deckbuilding seems to boil down to a conscious choice of which piece of hate you want to be soft to this week. Until recently I was playing Hollywood's "Blue Manaless," which was a lot of fun - mostly watching opponents mull to hate in game two, only to get it countered by a Force of Will that isn't supposed to be in manaless dredge - until people figured out that there is literally nothing it can do about a turn-0 Leyline of the Void. Nowadays I'm back to LEDs when I get the urge to dredge.

Part of it seems to be about how much dedicated hate they have vs incidental hate. There's some hate that works more generically and doesn't mean dredge auto-loses. And then there's the Leyline which usually doesn't do much, but when they have it dredge is hopeless.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Bugsy posted:

If you mulligan to 0, maybe your opponent can Ad Nauseam themself to death.

Actually, if you somehow drafted 7 or 8 Advantageous Proclamations and played a deck of fewer than 7 cards, would you lose when you tried to draw your starting hand or would the game allow you to live until your next draw step?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Bugsy posted:

They have quite a few issues.

Mobile's even worse.

• Locked thread