Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

I finished the first run through W2 this weekend... did I miss a lot or is Act 3 really short?
It feels kind of rushed. I read somewhere that it was even worse before the enhanced edition was released.

Here's hoping that CDPR takes alllll the time it needs for W3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

mcbexx posted:

I finished the first run through W2 this weekend... did I miss a lot or is Act 3 really short?
It feels kind of rushed. I read somewhere that it was even worse before the enhanced edition was released.

Here's hoping that CDPR takes alllll the time it needs for W3.
Yup, Act 3 was shorter than 1&2. The enhanced edition added two path-specific side quests. The mystery of the attack on Anais and Boussey's carriage and the bickering nobles on Roche's Path, and the archaeological expedition on Iorveth's Path.

The Roche's Path one was kind of a big hole in the story that they just flat-out didn't address before the EE.

With the Iorveth's Path one, those two scientists in Flotsam were in the game before the EE, but they just vanished from the game after Act 1 back then.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jun 16, 2014

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
The Hunt are the vanguard of an elven civilization on another plane(t). For some as of yet unknown reason they really want to get onto Geralt's world. To do so, they need somebody with mcguffin magic blood that allows them to open a portal from the far side. Crossing over without a terminal on the far end takes a fuckton of energy/resources so when the King of the Hunt is harassing Geralt for intel on Ciri, he only projects his spirit. In W3 it looks like they get a solid lead on Ciri and decide to send a physical party over, just like they did when they had a solid lead on Ciri in the Witcher 2 flashback sequences.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Mickey McKey posted:

They are inter-dimensional elves, but I just phrased it poorly because they are mysterious and all that, but we know who they are.

Yes, and space elves was mild hyperbole, which is why I brought up Dark Eldar who are specifically interdimensional so you guys are really sperging over terminology here. Doesn't change the fact that they took a really cool and fatalistic supernatural entity (the Wild Hunt, and it has nothing to do with "Americans don't have myths about the Wild Hunt" we don't have myths about Strigas or giant ants, either) and explained it really matter of factly. It's like when they go super detailed into explaining how and why there are zombies, and you have to make sense of it. No, gently caress you, I like my Dawn of the Dead where it's just "BAM, ZOMBIES!" and who gives a gently caress why, lets keep it vague and make you wonder.

No no, no horrible karmic fate-spirits who are chasing Geralt for reason X. No vengeful demons or damned spirits of all the monsters he's slain, or grim reapers chasing after someone who mysteriously dodged death.

No no, they're space inter-dimensional elves. Who kidnap people. Because they do experiments on them and then observe them. No no, they're not grey aliens, though I think maybe there's a village called Roswell out in Kaedwin and- hey wait a minute, why are you rolling your eyes?!?!?! This poo poo is off the hook.
:goonsay:

EDIT: tl;dr: you're all being pedantic about terminology. The Wild Hunt explanation is still a lovely cliche and way less interesting than the mystery.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.

Fuzz posted:

Yes, and space elves was mild hyperbole, which is why I brought up Dark Eldar who are specifically interdimensional so you guys are really sperging over terminology here. Doesn't change the fact that they took a really cool and fatalistic supernatural entity (the Wild Hunt, and it has nothing to do with "Americans don't have myths about the Wild Hunt" we don't have myths about Strigas or giant ants, either) and explained it really matter of factly. It's like when they go super detailed into explaining how and why there are zombies, and you have to make sense of it. No, gently caress you, I like my Dawn of the Dead where it's just "BAM, ZOMBIES!" and who gives a gently caress why, lets keep it vague and make you wonder.

No no, no horrible karmic fate-spirits who are chasing Geralt for reason X. No vengeful demons or damned spirits of all the monsters he's slain, or grim reapers chasing after someone who mysteriously dodged death.

No no, they're space inter-dimensional elves. Who kidnap people. Because they do experiments on them and then observe them. No no, they're not grey aliens, though I think maybe there's a village called Roswell out in Kaedwin and- hey wait a minute, why are you rolling your eyes?!?!?! This poo poo is off the hook.
:goonsay:

EDIT: tl;dr: you're all being pedantic about terminology. The Wild Hunt explanation is still a lovely cliche and way less interesting than the mystery.

What are you even on about? 'Mystery?' The entire fifth book is dedicated to exploring the relationship between the Wild Hunt and Ciri and so it's not remotely a mystery as to why the Wild Hunt is interested in Geralt and Yennefer.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Personally I don't think the whole story concerning the Wild Hunt (even the interdimensional beings thing) is all that bad except for the elaborate explanations about elder genes and why they need them. I thought it was pretty cool when it was just this mysterious phenomenon that took Geralt and had him in their sights seemingly because he's the only one to ever escape. I never really felt a need to know the "why" about the Wild Hunt taking people because that's just part of the mythology that goes along with the Wild Hunt (just like I've never cared about say, why do necrophages eat corpses or why drowners need to be in water, etc. etc.)

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Kimmalah posted:

Personally I don't think the whole story concerning the Wild Hunt (even the interdimensional beings thing) is all that bad except for the elaborate explanations about elder genes and why they need them. I thought it was pretty cool when it was just this mysterious phenomenon that took Geralt and had him in their sights seemingly because he's the only one to ever escape. I never really felt a need to know the "why" about the Wild Hunt taking people because that's just part of the mythology that goes along with the Wild Hunt (just like I've never cared about say, why do necrophages eat corpses or why drowners need to be in water, etc. etc.)

This, exactly.

Roshnak
Jul 22, 2007

Fuzz posted:

I don't really disagree with the Wild Hunt being more interesting as a mystery, but it's apparently only a mystery to people who haven't read the books. It's obviously not about whether or not Americans have myths about the Wild Hunt because it was in the Polish books that they were explained as they were.

Like, what do you want CDPR to do, retcon the whole premise of the Wild Hunt? They're working with already established material here.

Kimmalah posted:

just like I've never cared about say, why do necrophages eat corpses or why drowners need to be in water, etc. etc.

Uh, don't they pretty thoroughly explain those things, too, though?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Roshnak posted:

Uh, don't they pretty thoroughly explain those things, too, though?

Yes if you sit around and read the entirely optional books, but it's not integral to any plot or even the monster-killing quests really. Maybe the problem is just that I think their particular storyline is kind of dumb and I wouldn't mind if I didn't hate it so much.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Kimmalah posted:

Yes if you sit around and read the entirely optional books, but it's not integral to any plot or even the monster-killing quests really. Maybe the problem is just that I think their particular storyline is kind of dumb and I wouldn't mind if I didn't hate it so much.

Yeah, I haven't read the books but it seems like you guys just dislike one of the central aspects of the Witcher universe. Because every monster Geralt encounters have a rational explanation behind them, sometimes even told in biological terms (remember that biology and medicine are unusually advanced in this setting.) Witchers deal with them much like in the way you would deal with pests. First they gather information about them, find out what attracts them to the area, find their nests and exterminate them in the most efficient way possible. They are not some kind of karmic scourge sent to punish the sinners or something; they are literally roaming health hazards and treated by everyone matter-of-factly.

Similarly it turns out the wild hunt are not even monsters. They are a yet another group of rear end in a top hat invaders who enslave people. It's pretty thematically consistent with what witchers do and Geralt's ongoing moral dilemma with what to do with evil sentient beings.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Kimmalah posted:

I think the biggest issue with the books is that they're about Ciri. Sapkowski created the incredibly nuanced Geralt and Yennefer, then created the incredibly banal Ciri. Magical girls whose magic bloodline will help fix things has been done to death. Ciri is a weak version of a trite theme. Had the books focused on Geralt and Yennerfer as they trained Ciri, they would have been a much better read.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
This is on the steam sale right now for $4 if there happens to be anyone skimming this and thinking about getting it. I bought it for full price last week :negative:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
The Witcher games are ones that always go on sale.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
I seem to have run into a problem where it's really hard to talk to some NPCs in town. Is it normal that I have to walk around people and find a right angle until the talk sign pops up on them? ATI cards seemed to have a similar problem at launch but I doupt the problem should still be around.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Is there any reason to not pre-order now? I know the EE version of the previous game was free so I would sorta expect it to be again, but is there any indication that there will be any other versions worth waiting for?

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The rule of thumb is to never pre-order anything to be honest, yet I honestly doubt they will have a EE version of the Witcher 3 considering the already (supposedly) large scope of the next game.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

pik_d posted:

Is there any reason to not pre-order now? I know the EE version of the previous game was free so I would sorta expect it to be again, but is there any indication that there will be any other versions worth waiting for?

CDPR is the only company I would pre-order from at this point in time. They delayed the games launch by how many months to give themselves more time to perfect it? And the only "glaring" bug I remember from W2 coming out was the villagers in Flotsam not having any pants, ever (not really a bug, if you ask me....it was loving hilarious).

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I was one of the people for which bombs were unusable. I know that bug didn't affect everyone but they eventually patched it.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Bort Bortles posted:

CDPR is the only company I would pre-order from at this point in time. They delayed the games launch by how many months to give themselves more time to perfect it? And the only "glaring" bug I remember from W2 coming out was the villagers in Flotsam not having any pants, ever (not really a bug, if you ask me....it was loving hilarious).

I thought everyone also griped about the last act being really short and not explaining a bunch of stuff, which is why CDPR put out the extended edition.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
If you buy The Witcher 1&2 while it's still 80% off they'll cost you 6$. It will also give you an extra 10% off The Witcher 3 which also amounts to 6$. So if you don't have one or both of the previous games yet and you plan on pre-ordering The Witcher 3 then they're practically free right now.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Bort Bortles posted:

That's not a bug, it's historically accurate :goonsay:

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

pik_d posted:

Why would you pre-order anything? You have literally nothing to gain from it.

I'm actually playing through W2 again right now, because I've forgotten most plot details ( also, I haven't played Iorveth's path yet ), and I'd forgotten how many niggling issues this game had; even with EE and the latest patch:

- To start with, the game wouldn't recognize any input from either my 360 pad or keyboard / mouse. Turns out I'm not the only one to have that problem and the workaround was to close Steam, disconnect the controller, then start Steam again.
- The UI is clearly optimized for controller (radial menus, list-based inventory). And the UI used to be much worse until CDPR hired some modder.
- The minigames are all pretty uninspired. Brawling is a trivial QTE, I found arm wrestling to be nigh unplayable with kb/m and dice poker is actually worse than in the first game.
- Remember that archpriest in the prologue you can use Axii on? It still says "Axii hex failed", even though it was clearly successful. Nothing major, but you'd think it would be an easy enough fix.
- That loving stealth segment in the dungeons, ughhh. What's worst is how the game turns your camera around when you pass some doorways.
- The cooldown from being in combat until you are able to pick up / use items gets old really fast.
- I still don't know what the gently caress is up with that dice poker monk in the Flotsam tavern. Apparently you have to beat him in a very specific way, but the game doesn't tell you how.
- And finally, I've had a number of CTD's already.

Don't get me wrong, the game is still great and I'm stoked for W3; but I'll certainly wait for reviews and maybe the first couple patches.

beer_war fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jun 20, 2014

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I'm aware of all that and still preordered, because I know I'll play W3 eventually and the preorder discount I got from owning W1 and W2 already made the price about equal with what I expect I'd have to pay by that point.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

beer_war posted:

Why would you pre-order anything? You have literally nothing to gain from it.

If you own Witcher 1 and 2 you do literally get something out of by saving money by paying for it now rather than later :confused: If you buy it after release it will most likely not be discounted, thus you literally save money by paying for something now that you will want later either way.

Brumaldo
Jun 29, 2013

beer_war posted:

- I still don't know what the gently caress is up with that dice poker monk in the Flotsam tavern. Apparently you have to beat him in a very specific way, but the game doesn't tell you how.

Don't get me wrong, the game is still great and I'm stoked for W3; but I'll certainly wait for reviews and maybe the first couple patches.

I think it used to be a promotion. You'd get some free games on GOG if you managed to beat him with five of a kind, or something.
I don't remember the exact details, but I do remember that when I met him for the first time it took me literally 30 seconds to google what was up with that npc.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Brumaldo posted:

I think it used to be a promotion. You'd get some free games on GOG if you managed to beat him with five of a kind, or something.
I don't remember the exact details, but I do remember that when I met him for the first time it took me literally 30 seconds to google what was up with that npc.

If you have to google what is up with an NPC then something is probably wrong. He should have been patched out as soon as the promotion was over which was how long ago?

Bort Bortles posted:

If you own Witcher 1 and 2 you do literally get something out of by saving money by paying for it now rather than later :confused: If you buy it after release it will most likely not be discounted, thus you literally save money by paying for something now that you will want later either way.

Are you saying that TW3 will never be discounted after release, unlike TW2 which is currently $4?

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Bort Bortles posted:

Yes, because games in general and the Witcher games specifically are never, ever discounted after release. I'm not really losing any sleep over how total strangers spend their money, though, so I won't belabor the point.

Brumaldo posted:

Oh, so it's just plain broken.

Brumaldo
Jun 29, 2013

beer_war posted:

Oh, so it's just plain broken.

I'unno. It's a random npc of no consequence, whose purpose can be discerned with a quick google seach. Doesn't seem like something worth complaining about.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

monster on a stick posted:

Are you saying that TW3 will never be discounted after release, unlike TW2 which is currently $4?

beer_war posted:

Yes, because games in general and the Witcher games specifically are never, ever discounted after release. I'm not really losing any sleep over how total strangers spend their money, though, so I won't belabor the point.

TW2 was released on 17 May 2011, which is over three years ago. I didnt see W2 go on sale on Steam for quite a while after release. It took a similar type game Skyrim almost year to not cost $60 and was never (to my knowledge) on sale in that timeframe. So sure, if you want to be pedantic, I said that W3 will NEVER go on sale ever and pre-ordering is the only way to get a discount.

I was actually just trying to make fun of beer_war for saying "literally nothing to gain" when, earlier on this very page of the thread, I spoke my opinion that CDPR is the only company I would consider pre-ordering a computer game from at this point in time, combined with the fact that you literally DO gain something for pre-ordering IF you want the game on release and you already own the previous two versions.

If you think W3 will be discounted to $4 a month after release, then sure, wait to buy it. I want it right away because I enjoyed the first two games so much, I believe it will be a good game on release, and I will literally save 10% by pre-ordering.

I am sorry I did not explain my opinion better and apologize for any misunderstanding.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

monster on a stick posted:

beer_war posted:

Haha you two nerds are obtuse as gently caress. It's pretty obvious that he meant that it wouldn't be discounted immediately after release.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Bort Bortles posted:

TW2 was released on 17 May 2011, which is over three years ago. I didnt see W2 go on sale on Steam for quite a while after release. It took a similar type game Skyrim almost year to not cost $60 and was never (to my knowledge) on sale in that timeframe. So sure, if you want to be pedantic, I said that W3 will NEVER go on sale ever and pre-ordering is the only way to get a discount.

I was actually just trying to make fun of beer_war for saying "literally nothing to gain" when, earlier on this very page of the thread, I spoke my opinion that CDPR is the only company I would consider pre-ordering a computer game from at this point in time, combined with the fact that you literally DO gain something for pre-ordering IF you want the game on release and you already own the previous two versions.

If you think W3 will be discounted to $4 a month after release, then sure, wait to buy it. I want it right away because I enjoyed the first two games so much, I believe it will be a good game on release, and I will literally save 10% by pre-ordering.

I am sorry I did not explain my opinion better and apologize for any misunderstanding.

No worries.

FYI, it looks like it took about six months for it to go on sale on Steam. I'm sure we may see better sales nowadays, with all the competition: GOG wanting to sell the game on their service, Steam wanting people to buy the game on their service, not to mention all the Steam key resellers - GMG always seems to have a 20-25% coupon going that is good even for new games.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Yeah, 10/15% isn't exactly a massive discount.

This is obviously subjective, but personally I didn't really enjoy either Witcher game until way, way after release. I hated vanilla combat in W1 without FCR and I couldn't stand the W2 UI until the last patch came out.

beer_war fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jun 20, 2014

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

So I picked up the the pre-order for 3 with all the extra savings on Steam getting it at the low price of 47 buck plus some extra savings I had in my Steam Wallet. Now I just have to get my PC up to snuff when the specs come out.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

beer_war posted:

Yeah, 10/15% isn't exactly a massive discount.

This is obviously subjective, but personally I didn't really enjoy either Witcher game until way, way after release. I hated vanilla combat in W1 without FCR and I couldn't stand the W2 UI until the last patch came out.
That's a good argument for not pre-ordering games or otherwise buying games at release. You might to want wait until the issues that are made apparent after release are patched.

I didn't buy W2 at release, but I bought it fairly early and had to put it down for a while because I was angry at how bombs were unusable for me. Eventually, they made a patch for people that were hit with that bug, and I was able to play again and enjoy the game.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jun 20, 2014

Roshnak
Jul 22, 2007

beer_war posted:

- The minigames are all pretty uninspired. Brawling is a trivial QTE, I found arm wrestling to be nigh unplayable with kb/m and dice poker is actually worse than in the first game.
- That loving stealth segment in the dungeons, ughhh. What's worst is how the game turns your camera around when you pass some doorways.

Many of your complaints are valid but not exactly game ruining problems. These two things, however, are kind of crazy.

Arm wrestling is significantly easier using the mouse. You barely have to move it at all to beat every opponent but one in the entire game and that guy is unbeatable the first time you play him.

That stealth segment is also super easy, but even if it wasn't, it's completely optional. You can kill everyone in there and the only thing that changes is one line of dialogue.

Roshnak fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 20, 2014

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO
Yo should I be using a controller for the PC version? If not, can I do anything about the mouse smoothing?

Roshnak
Jul 22, 2007

Kikka posted:

Yo should I be using a controller for the PC version? If not, can I do anything about the mouse smoothing?

Documents/Witcher 2/Config/User.ini

Search for MouseSmoothness and Smoothness and set them both to 0.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Roshnak posted:

That stealth segment is also super easy, but even if it wasn't, it's completely optional. You can kill everyone in there and the only thing that changes is one line of dialogue.

Both times I've played through W2 I 'failed' that segment. I think reloading a save resets the guard patrols, too, so you can get screwed that way. Overall I like the stealth though, it's cool they implemented that even if it isn't used much.

Agree on the arm wrestling. Wonder what sort of minigames will be present in 3? Dice poker for sure, have they said anything else?

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Money is just a concept anyways. Who gives a gently caress about how much the Witcher 3 cost. Pre-Ordered from gog.com because I am a dumb nerd with no regrets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Witcher 1 talk: How do I get the Chapter 3 trophy wolf Voref to summon? I did see it once but ignored it as I was carrying the echinops trophy. Now the loving thing wont appear at the swamps anytime of day. I've explored the swamp over and over again at dozens of different times

• Locked thread