Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
I watched Mud last night & it's really good. It's a bit long, could have cut 10-20 minutes but either way you should all watch Mud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

It wasn't quite what I was hoping for, or expecting, and a touch slower to build for where it ends up going, but I agree Mud is pretty good and worth watching.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:

Skywalker OG posted:

World War Z is stupid and boring. The first part, while teetering dangerously close to the Emmerich Zone has some decent atmosphere to it. After that, though, all dramatic points are Homer Simpson-level dumb and rightfully played for laughs or shot with comedic timing, killing any tension the movie builds up.

Everything is "D'OH!" rather than "Oh, gently caress. gently caress!"

It should have been straight on, nitty gritty 28 days later style. They tried, but the film can't be taken seriously. Night of the Living Dead had better atmosphere. The film is actually downright bad. For instance when Gerry is doing his genre savy thing and looking to see how long the zombies turn... It's not clear at all that's what he is doing until later.

how the gently caress did the zombie get on the plane. I know there are so many moments like that one but that one ranks number one on dumbest moments in the movie. Considering we know how long they take to turn the thing would have been spazzing out inside the closet/bathroom

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jun 18, 2014

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

NeoSeeker posted:

It should have been straight on, nitty gritty 28 days later style. They tried, but the film can't be taken seriously. Night of the Living Dead had better atmosphere.

Hey now, World War Z sucks but few films compare favorably to Night of the Living Dead. It's the best zombie film ever made and definitely near the top of the horror genre as a whole.

I'm talking about the original black and white version, of course. I can't speak to the 90's remake currently on Netflix because I haven't seen it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The 1990 remake is very good for Patricia Tallman and Tony Todd.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
And it's directed by Tom Savini.

I enjoyed the 90s version. It's a little hamfisted in it's message, but so was the original.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

The remake is terrific , too bad it was hacked to pieces by the MPAA.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I've been very behind on this thread but has anyone pointed out that Maria Bamford's Special Special Special is up? If not let me inform you that Maria Bamford's Special Special Special is up on Netflix and you should watch it. It's a comedy special filmed in Maria Bamford's own house where her only audience are her parents. Her style is weird but I really like it and at times, fitting the format, she gets very personal and talks a great deal about mental illness and how it's treated in society. Probably not for everybody but gently caress those people that it's not for.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Skywalker OG posted:

World War Z is stupid and boring. The first part, while teetering dangerously close to the Emmerich Zone has some decent atmosphere to it. After that, though, all dramatic points are Homer Simpson-level dumb and rightfully played for laughs or shot with comedic timing, killing any tension the movie builds up.

Everything is "D'OH!" rather than "Oh, gently caress. gently caress!"

I watched it last night and was completely put off by how cartoonish the entire thing was. Everything about the zombies, from how they act and move, to how they are animated is pure live-action cartoon. And then yeah, moments that could have had tension, such as them sneaking into the lab, are completely played for laughs.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

axleblaze posted:

I've been very behind on this thread but has anyone pointed out that Maria Bamford's Special Special Special is up? If not let me inform you that Maria Bamford's Special Special Special is up on Netflix and you should watch it. It's a comedy special filmed in Maria Bamford's own house where her only audience are her parents. Her style is weird but I really like it and at times, fitting the format, she gets very personal and talks a great deal about mental illness and how it's treated in society. Probably not for everybody but gently caress those people that it's not for.

And either before or after, watch The Maria Bamford Show, a short webseries she did for the now-defunct Super Deluxe, which can be found on YouTube.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
No doubt Night of the Living Dead is one of the best. But I have to say 28 days later in my opinion is right up there with it.

WWZ is just retarded. The whole "patient zero" and "zeke"... stop trying to be loving cute.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

NeoSeeker posted:

No doubt Night of the Living Dead is one of the best. But I have to say 28 days later in my opinion is right up there with it.

WWZ is just retarded. The whole "patient zero" and "zeke"... stop trying to be loving cute.

They did actually say the word "zombie" in the movie, though, which I liked. It's funny how many zombie movies and tv shows exist in a world exactly like the real one except for a complete lack of pre-existing zombie media.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

a foolish pianist posted:

They did actually say the word "zombie" in the movie, though, which I liked. It's funny how many zombie movies and tv shows exist in a world exactly like the real one except for a complete lack of pre-existing zombie media.

It's been a while since I've last seen it, but didn't Sean of the Dead have a joke about that?

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

The last page made me curious, so I broke down and watched the 1990 remake of Night of the Living Dead. I'm still partial to the original, but that was way better than I expected. It's definitely worth seeing both versions.

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

It's been a while since I've last seen it, but didn't Sean of the Dead have a joke about that?

Yes, and a very good joke it was!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Yeah. The reason it works is because the film acknowledges that they are characters in a zombie movie (using snippets of music from Dawn of the Dead, for example), but the actual characters either deliberately refuse to or genuinely don't see it (Sean's mom just closes the blinds and calls the doctor).

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009

Tennis Ball posted:

Anyone have suggestions for good psychological thrillers? Girlfriend hasn't seen hardly any. The few I picked off the top of my head:

The Game
The Machinist
Exam
Buried

Bringing this back up from a few pages ago. The Game, The Machinist and Buried are off of streaming apparently. We're watching Pi as someone suggested. Any other suggestions for things that are on streaming? I also have HBO Go. Am willing to watch on Hulu too.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Holy crap, Johnny Mnemonic is up! This movie is distilled essence of 90s. Keanu Reeves, Udo Kier, Henry Rollins, Ice T, Takeshi Kitano, even Dolph Lundgren!

a foolish pianist fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jun 19, 2014

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

a foolish pianist posted:

Holy crap, Johnny Mnemonic is up! This movie is distilled essence of 90s. Keanu Reeves, Udo Kier, Henry Rollins, Ice T, Takeshi Kitano, even Dolph Lundgren!

Oh nice! I want to watch them talk about smuggling 80 whole gigabytes.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Meatwave posted:

Oh nice! I want to watch them talk about smuggling 80 whole gigabytes.

Excited about laser whips

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

I'm sorry if I'm spoiling everybody's good time.

axleblaze posted:

Her comedy has been 50/50 for me up to this point, but this special has many more hits than misses. Her parents are adorable and their laughs are infectious. Also it's fun when the keyboard player loses his poo poo at some of the more out-there bits. And as you said, her material on mental illness and contrasting it with how people react to physical illness was pretty insightful.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Excited about laser whips

COME TO JESUS

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Simplex posted:

I watched it last night and was completely put off by how cartoonish the entire thing was. Everything about the zombies, from how they act and move, to how they are animated is pure live-action cartoon. And then yeah, moments that could have had tension, such as them sneaking into the lab, are completely played for laughs.

What bothers me in World War Z is just how absurdly ludicrous the plotting is even by tentpole action film standards. Anytime that there wasn't action on the screen I spent my time saying, "What? Why? How?" It didn't make sense even by the movie's own internal logic and storytelling. It's also hamstrung by trying to make it a PG-13 movie. Going R wouldn't have made it better, but it would have made the action more watchable.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Spike Lee's Oldboy remake just got added. Is there any reason to watch it? I know the consensus seems to be it wasn't very good, but did it have anything worthwhile going for it?

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Erebus posted:

Spike Lee's Oldboy remake just got added. Is there any reason to watch it? I know the consensus seems to be it wasn't very good, but did it have anything worthwhile going for it?

I actually enjoyed it. It changes things around enough to not feel like a retread, actively plays with audience expectations re: the original movie's twist ending, and Sharlto Copley is just fantastically over-the-top and scenery-chewing as the villain.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Erebus posted:

I enjoyed it. The antagonist's motivations are much more believable in this version, which I something I thought was a weak point in the original.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Oh man, was What About Bob? added recently? I loved this movie as a kid!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

mod sassinator posted:

Oh man, was What About Bob? added recently? I loved this movie as a kid!

poo poo yes, one of my favorite Bill Murray movies, I'd even say it's close to as good as Groundhog Day in its own weird little way.

e: speaking of the Oldboy remake, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance and Lady Vengeance (coincidentally?) got re-added recently. It's nice that when a movie is taken off and then put back on, if it was in your List, it shows back up there.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
TOURETTES!! TOURETTES!!!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
What About Bob? is fantastic. I still say "Baby steps" when dealing with problems.

And Death Therapy, it's guaranteed to work once.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Agreeing with the What About Bob? love. Dreyfuss and Murray are always worth a watch, and the obvious and dumb joke that Bob's fish is named "Gill" just loving cracks me up for some reason.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Erebus posted:

I saw it in theaters and thought it was loving awful and that the original was way better, but Sharlto Copley hams it up like he never has before, so if that sounds interesting to you then you'll wanna check it out.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I thought New-Oldboy was pretty OK. The villain was the part I didn't like the most, Josh Brolin was badass though. Actually the scene where the dad comes in the house and shoots everyone was awesome.

Also have to highly recommend the other two Vengeance movies. I hope the Lady one is the version that fades to black and white.

drunken officeparty fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jun 19, 2014

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Erebus posted:

It's different enough to maybe give it a watch but it's also the same enough that it's pretty pointless if you've seen the original. Having watched it I would've preferred just watching the original again I think.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
The subs on the triplets of belleville are sound effects only. I mean, its not like it matters since the movie is mostly silent, its just kinda wierd

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

The subs on the triplets of belleville are sound effects only. I mean, its not like it matters since the movie is mostly silent, its just kinda wierd

I would say that it was for the hearing impaired, but if you're hearing impaired you're going to lose out on so much from Triplets of Belleville that subbing the sound effects is almost insult to injury.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Technetium posted:

It's different enough to maybe give it a watch but it's also the same enough that it's pretty pointless if you've seen the original. Having watched it I would've preferred just watching the original again I think.

This is a pretty apt description. It really has no reason to exist, it just doesn't add enough to the table to be worth it. I think if you haven't seen the original it'd be worth a watch, but the original is a better watch even if you've seen it before.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Are they labeled as subtitles or subtitles SDH?

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
SDH, but its the only track. Again it doesn't really matter since theres a grand total of 5 lines of dialogue in the movie, but still. I just thought it was odd.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure if the American release of the movie even got subtitles. I certainly don't' remember seeing any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I wanted to reach into the screen and punch the guy who called Wall-E a zombie movie in Doc of the Dead. Also Kirkmans kill count process is as lovely as I expected.

• Locked thread