Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
Seconding that you can skip visiting French Broad, their beers are great but their tap room is pretty lame and they usually don't have much you can't find in a bottle or can. Definitely pick some up though, it's usually $9/sixer or $4/bomber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaffleStomp
May 7, 2007
Thanks for the tips fellas. My wife and I are hanging out down there for an entire week, so I'll add those other places to my list, and skip French Broad. Our hotel isn't too far off from Wicked Weed, so having those other places close by is perfect.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

The name "French Broad" got much less hilariously bad once I looked up that it's named after a river and not what a 1940's bro would call a woman from France.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I tend to call it French Road. They do a nice Kolsch (a style that should see any many representations outside of NC than inside, imo, but nope)

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

So... dumb question I'm sure.

Why is Darkness so hard for me to acquire, but I can get Dark Lord so easily?(beer vs beer talk not needed, I know how people feel about fresh Dark Lord). I've landed 5 in trade this year , all different vintages (12, 13 and 3 14s) ... and I've only managed to get one Darkness...

What's the deal? Do they make a lot less, or?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

I imagine there's a lot less Darkness, maybe no more than 20-25k bottles if I were to make a rough estimate. Last year's Darkness day had 1,500 wristbands given out with a 6 bottle limit each (so that's 9k there) then the rest goes to distro.

Either that or get good with a MN trading partner!

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

air- posted:

I imagine there's a lot less Darkness, maybe no more than 20-25k bottles if I were to make a rough estimate. Last year's Darkness day had 1,500 wristbands given out with a 6 bottle limit each (so that's 9k there) then the rest goes to distro.

Either that or get good with a MN trading partner!

Trust me I'm hunting one of those. I've got a decent Floyds connection now, a nice CCB connection, and a Bruery hook up... Surly is my "you can't have it, nanananana" brewery

Cointelprofessional
Jul 2, 2007
Carrots: Make me an offer.

Vertigo posted:

So... dumb question I'm sure.

Why is Darkness so hard for me to acquire, but I can get Dark Lord so easily?(beer vs beer talk not needed, I know how people feel about fresh Dark Lord). I've landed 5 in trade this year , all different vintages (12, 13 and 3 14s) ... and I've only managed to get one Darkness...

What's the deal? Do they make a lot less, or?

I don't know. They even did a second release this year which pissed off a lot of people for some reason. It flies off the shelves here in MN, with some folks posting Facebook pictures with 20 bottles. I just did a five year vertical with some friends. It peaks at about 2 years.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

air- posted:

Bottle counts aren't dissimilar. Dark Lord tickets run around 7,000 to 8,000 based on most estimates. This year had a limit 4. Last year was 3. Darkness actually distro'd in Chicago this year. Most places seemed to have at least a case so I'd bet another 3,000 or so ended up here in early 2014.

I think the difference is almost no one goes to DLD for Dark Lord anymore, so 2-3 bottles people get are traded/given away. I know that's what I did with mine (again) this year. I actually traded a bottle 5 minutes after I got it. I'm betting Darkness is simply held a little tighter. Probably because it's much better...

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Vertigo posted:

Trust me I'm hunting one of those. I've got a decent Floyds connection now, a nice CCB connection, and a Bruery hook up... Surly is my "you can't have it, nanananana" brewery

Depending on what you're looking for, Chicagoons might be an option. At this point, I don't think anything they bottle/can doesn't get here.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

danbanana posted:

Depending on what you're looking for, Chicagoons might be an option. At this point, I don't think anything they bottle/can doesn't get here.

This is true, we even got Darkness and Pentagram. Of course, with Pentagram tipping the scales at nearly $30, I passed on picking one up.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I....I think I need this.

http://www.japantrendshop.com/frozen-beer-slushie-maker-by-kirin-ichiban-p-2367.html

quote:

Get a cold cap on your beer and enhance your thirst-quenching drinking experience with the Frozen Beer Slushie Maker by Kirin Ichiban. Created by Kirin, one of Japan's top drink manufacturers, this is part of a big recent trend in "cold" or even "super cold" beers in Japan. These "frozen beer" slushies were a huge hit for Kirin when it opened special beer gardens serving them in Tokyo in 2012.

Kirin developed patented freezing technology for its special slushie makers that add a whipped and frozen top to the beer. And now you can get the same taste at home! Produced with Takara Tomy Arts, this small household version of the machine was originally used by Kirin as a promotional item for its Kirin Ichiban beer summer campaign. It proved so popular that they have been manufacturing it permanently ever since!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSEiBupsWWM

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
a sour slushie :stare:

toenut
Apr 11, 2003

fourth and nine
Haven't had that, but jelly beer is awesome.

http://chrisryanphoto.blogspot.com/2010/06/bia-wun-jelly-beer-at-whiskey-soda.html

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

A sour slushie does sound delicious... so does a slushie made out of anything from Lindeman's in their fruit series.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Vertigo posted:

A sour slushie does sound delicious... so does a slushie made out of anything from Lindeman's in their fruit series.

I hate the Lindemans fruit beers...but they might actually be pretty drat delicious turned into what is effectively a slurpee...

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Brb, going to dump 6 loons into a slushi machine...

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Can't wait to see the Don't Drink Beer guy piss people off making Cantillon slushies blended with Bourbon County Rare.

Also, just had an interesting experience. I had the first batch of Hopped on the high Seas (Simcoe) when it first came out and wasn't a fan. Like 6 weeks or two months later I ended up drinking it again (same can from the original 6'er I bought) and loved it. I guess some of the hop presence I didn't like had fallen off enough and it made for a delicious beer and I drank the rest of them. Or so I thought. I just found one while cleaning, I guess I was going to send it as an extra in a trade and either forgot about it or couldn't fit it in. Anyways, I just drank it and it was back to being god awful. Not that that part isn't surprising. Its kind of rare for a beer to go from poor, to really good to awful in the span of a year.

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

crazyfish posted:

I hate the Lindemans fruit beers...but they might actually be pretty drat delicious turned into what is effectively a slurpee...

oh I think they're awful as well. But in terms of a slushy...

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

I had one when I was down at Epcot last year, it wasn't nearly as magical as I had hoped. :(

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

A Kirin (or any macro lager, really) slushy sounds loving gross, TBH. I am cautiously optimistic on the idea of sour or fruit beers, however.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

I had a Kirin Black Frozen in Arashiyama Kyoto in May. It was okay! I mean... It was exactly what it sounds like!

The thing I thought was funny was the stand I bought it in had regular Kirin Ichiban Lager and then Kirin Black "Stout" (it's more of a black lager) as frozen choices, and then they had another option, which was Kirin Ichiban Lager Frozen (kinda like a Berliner Weiss mit schuss deal, only they were calling it "two tone"), with your pick of syrup, and I think the choices were strawberry, pineapple and tomato, if not mistaken...

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Astronaut Jones posted:

I had one when I was down at Epcot last year, it wasn't nearly as magical as I had hoped. :(

Yo me too. It was like 100 degrees and I loving chugged it. Did a job at cooling me down though.

Uuudar
Apr 18, 2003
I had Old Style ice cream and it was awesome. Honestly tasted like Old Style. Thanks L&E.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Anyone else in Wisconsin enjoying scream IPA? Sorry everyone out of state.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Skulled a bomber of Space Station Middle Finger tonight. It tastes like a bottle full of underripe melon. It's very good and I'm glad I bought it, and I hope that FFF decides to put this in 6 packs.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
my buddy near LA makes sour beer smoothies all the time- he picks up 64oz growlers of Sour in the Rye specifically for that purpose, although he won't hesitate to do it with Cantillon, 3F, etc (the shelf versions, of course). he also likes to go nuts with Black Tuesday and a French press.

oh, opened my goon-provided bomber of Live Oak Hefeweizen last night and promptly destroyed a pint, then tried to take back the pint which i had handed to my girlfriend (which didn't work). it's more full-bodied than some hefeweizens, has some banana and bubblegum on the front end and little touch of clove on the finish, and it's ridiculously crushable... yeah, i see why it's part of the "best American hefeweizen" discussion, for sure.

funkybottoms fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Jun 20, 2014

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I have a friend headed to San Diego this week for about a week -- anything specific floating around I should tell him he has to buy for me?

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

crazyfish posted:

They make great floats.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I've had a few different Lindeman's + ~other beer~ concoctions and they've actually been pretty tasty. Once you cut the sweetness with something else it's not bad.

Valencia
Feb 1, 2005

Cyril, go lock up the product before Cokie Monster here gobbles it all up.

:catdrugs:

HatfulOfHollow posted:

I've had a few different Lindeman's + ~other beer~ concoctions and they've actually been pretty tasty. Once you cut the sweetness with something else it's not bad.

The Saucer does a few of these, most notably Framboise+Young's Double Chocolate Stout and Framboise+Woodchuck Pear. Both delicious. They also used to have a chocolate lava cake with Framboise but I think they discontinued it.

In "are you seriously doing this?" news, A-B is challenging Natty Greene's in Greensboro over its trademark. http://www.bizjournals.com/triad/news/2014/06/20/brew-battleanheuser-busch-mounts-trademark.html?full=true Because people are obviously going to confuse a small local craft brewery for a 30-rack of Natural Light. :rolleyes:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

ChickenArise posted:

They make great floats.

If the DDB guy doesn't put a scoop of vanilla ice cream in his DB Huna I will be disappointed.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Valencia posted:

The Saucer does a few of these, most notably Framboise+Young's Double Chocolate Stout and Framboise+Woodchuck Pear. Both delicious. They also used to have a chocolate lava cake with Framboise but I think they discontinued it.

Yeah I've seen stout + framboise. It's similar to a Black Velvet/Snake Bite (Guinness + Cider). Eulogy in Philly has the Dirty Hoe which is Hoegaarden + Framboise and that's quite good. Beer cocktails are fun. There's a great cocktail bar here called Franklin Mortgage & Investment Company that makes a few awesome ones.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
I am officially a truck chaser, at least in so far as I now hit up our local every other Friday at ten and immediately grab one of every loon they get in stock. I might be a monster, but in this game you gotta be a monster if you ever want to have another non-Beersel/Cuvee Renee gueze.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

I am officially a truck chaser, at least in so far as I now hit up our local every other Friday at ten and immediately grab one of every loon they get in stock. I might be a monster, but in this game you gotta be a monster if you ever want to have another non-Beersel/Cuvee Renee gueze.

They get loons every two weeks? God drat, son.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
I missed Homage by a few hours last month so I've started making a commitment to this. 4 weeks ago it was just a Vign, last week just an LPG, this week it was one of each plus an LPK. Cellar is being rebuilt, finally.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

I'm going to be in Columbus for about two weeks starting tomorrow. I'm reffing US Fencing's summer national championships and I expect to be worked like a dog, but if any of you guys are in the area and want to grab a pint at some point, shoot me a PM and we should be able to work something out.

Are there any particularly good spots for beer around the convention center? I will be working from 730a to 5-8p every day so I probably can't go very far, but I will need to get dinner and a brew when I finish. I hope I can get out to CBC for one evening, though!

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Eejit posted:

I'm going to be in Columbus for about two weeks starting tomorrow. I'm reffing US Fencing's summer national championships and I expect to be worked like a dog, but if any of you guys are in the area and want to grab a pint at some point, shoot me a PM and we should be able to work something out.

Are there any particularly good spots for beer around the convention center? I will be working from 730a to 5-8p every day so I probably can't go very far, but I will need to get dinner and a brew when I finish. I hope I can get out to CBC for one evening, though!

Barley's is literally across the street and reasonably solid in my opinion.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Sorta reminds me of CCB Florida Cracker. Not bad at all for under $3 a bomber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

So I saw a thing on BeerServedRare about Breakside releasing their Bourbon Barrel stout with Chilis and Chocolate, and it made me think...

Why don't more brewers do a chili & chocolate stout in bourbon barrels? I feel like that would be a super popular style.