Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

LaTex Fetish posted:

play vanilla.

pretty much this. it's an old game so it's going to take some time to get used to but if you just wanted skyrim then you should just play skyrim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois
tbh there are plenty of quest markers, they're called "road signs" and "ask random people along the way"

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Minarchist posted:

tbh there are plenty of quest markers, they're called "road signs" and "ask random people along the way"

Also the Morrowind physical map is drat accurate. dwarvish ruins, ashlander camps, telvanni outposts, and roads match up to whats in game.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

The Taint Reaper posted:

Hey I'm starting up morrowind after beating everything in Skyrim. How should I have MW set up so I can make an easy transition because the controls are different and there's no quest markers.

chop off your dick because you did it in the wrong order and you ruined your whole loving life

nah just use the morrowind code patch to fix weird stuff and thats about it

if you mention the graphics one loving time though see step one

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

tuluk posted:

Also the Morrowind physical map is drat accurate. dwarvish ruins, ashlander camps, telvanni outposts, and roads match up to whats in game.

I miss that map. I should probably buy a new one or something, because that was probably one of the better things to come with a video game. Oblivion and Skyrim's maps suck poo poo.

sexy cougar on the prowl
Dec 31, 2008

SunAndSpring posted:

I miss that map. I should probably buy a new one or something, because that was probably one of the better things to come with a video game. Oblivion and Skyrim's maps suck poo poo.

Yeah, I miss physical copies that used to have more than just an install disc. Retailers should bring back XL sized cardboard boxes for games imho.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

SunAndSpring posted:

Oh good it wasn't just me who thought Skyrim's maps were poo poo. I had a hard time navigating to precise locations numerious times on the local map.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

SunAndSpring posted:

BOOSH!

http://mwmap.uesp.net/

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

DerVerrater posted:

drat it you guys, now i want to play morrowind again but have no idea what to play in it!.

A total coward who doesn't actually fight anything. All summons, sneak, and illusion to help with hiding.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
the physical map owned because not only was it useful, but it was actually something a nerd drew instead of some outline of the game with everything erased and a gay sepia filter put over it (see: oblivion and skyrim)

\/hosed up but tru

Gobblecoque fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jun 20, 2014

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Gobblecoque posted:

the physical map owned because not only was it useful, but it was actually something a nerd drew instead of some outline of the game with everything erased and a gay sepia filter put over it (see: oblivion and skyrim)

morrowind owned because it was actually something a nerd made and not some gay game with an even gayer sepia filter put over it (see: oblivion and skyrim)

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW

The Taint Reaper posted:

Hey I'm starting up morrowind after beating everything in Skyrim. How should I have MW set up so I can make an easy transition because the controls are different and there's no quest markers.

dont make me throw up

Karl Rove
Feb 26, 2006

Oh man, the Elders are really lovely guys. Their astral projection seminars are literally off the fucking planet, and highly recommended.
mine is laminated and still has specks of wet-erase marker from notes I scribbled on it back in the day :smug:

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006
I need to stop looking at /r/teslore because it's like how when you hang around crazy people too long you start to go crazy
The elder scrolls "deep lore" is just the guy making the hosed up inside of his head into a videogame setting

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I want them to get that guy into rehab just long enough for him to relapse and go on a bender while making TES VI: Valenwood.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

I want them to get that guy into rehab just long enough for him to relapse and go on a bender while making TES VI: Valenwood.

TES: akaVIr :colbert:

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Didn't we get enough stupid dragon bs in skyrim? Lets get back to our cannibalistic drug fueled orgy of nightmare creature roots first.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

balck marsh

isn't there that book where they go through carnivore tree roots to get places? it's got fast travel built right in, c'mon bethesda

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Black Marsh would also kick rear end, I just don't think Bethesda can do it.

the book with the tree roots http://www.imperial-library.info/content/argonian-account

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

if they never made another tes game I would be cool with that. anywhere they announce is going to make me hyped so hard and crush my dreams

CYRODIIL IS A ROMAN JUNGLE *is western forest*
SKYRIM IS A WESTERN FOREST *is western forest*
VALENWOOD HAS GIANT LIVING TREE CITIES *is western forest*
BLACK MARSH IS SWAMPY AND WEIRD *is western forest*

we get it bethesda youre all pasty white guys who have never left the east coast, but you really should

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

I think Todd Howard went to find himself for about a year or two and ended up in Cairo and then to Baghdad. Then at some point he tried hookah which is where skooma came from.

When he finally made morrowind by himself he said I need to find myself again but instead went to the Vatican and some other European places and then went to visit some cousins in North Dakota on the way home.

Dec 26, 2012

Abandon posted:

The elder scrolls "deep lore" is just the guy making the hosed up inside of his head into a videogame setting

yeah it owns

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

The late 90's early 00's were drenched with good RPG's that unless they did something unique and novel they were going to go bankrupt. If morrowind had gone the safe route and been oblivion, gothic 1/2 would probably be remembered as the best RPG of those years.

Morrowind's success and the eventual dwindling RPG market allowed them to establish the modern TES franchise and take the safe route to big bucks. Just look at fallout 3, it was called "oblivion with guns" and rightly so. Big name actor plays a major story role, mostly empty recycled world filled with setpieces reddit can regurgitate ad nauseum, and overall poo poo.

Dec 26, 2012

gothic is still really, really good barring initial control scheme misgivings

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
i tried to get into gothic (2 I think?) about five times but i remember it had terrible voice acting and every single time i'd end up skinning wolves in generic forest for hours because i didn't know what else i was supposed to be doing

does it actually have a good story or anything worth bothering with

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

No, and like you said the voice acting (english) is really bad. I played it with the expansion, which significantly ups the difficulty, and had to cheese every fight to get through it. Like MW it has a cool world to explore, though. But barely any lore attached to it as I remember.

Does anyone remember what the hype was like for MW around the time it got out? Like, were there a lot of previews of the game? Did mags give it good reviews? I only got into it some time after it was released by borrowing it from a friend. The internet was still in its infancy, so you couldn't really find people to talk about it, as I recall.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

01011001 posted:

gothic is still really, really good barring initial control scheme misgivings

Gothic exists primarily to give From Software's non-Souls games competition on worst controls.

Karl Rove
Feb 26, 2006

Oh man, the Elders are really lovely guys. Their astral projection seminars are literally off the fucking planet, and highly recommended.

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Does anyone remember what the hype was like for MW around the time it got out? Like, were there a lot of previews of the game? Did mags give it good reviews? I only got into it some time after it was released by borrowing it from a friend. The internet was still in its infancy, so you couldn't really find people to talk about it, as I recall.
I got it more or less when it came out after seeing ads for it in PC Gamer. I can remember being like "holy poo poo, Elder Scrolls 3?!" after only having played the Daggerfall demo years before.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

No, and like you said the voice acting (english) is really bad. I played it with the expansion, which significantly ups the difficulty, and had to cheese every fight to get through it. Like MW it has a cool world to explore, though. But barely any lore attached to it as I remember.

Morrowind did pretty well at E3 and had pretty positive reception for being innovative in its graphics (excluding animations, which were criticized for looking like the PC had a stick up his bum) and world building. Of course, they also picked on the combat, but that was expected. It got Game of the Year from a few places, although it dueled with Neverwinter Nights 1 a lot for that honor. There's also this review by Toonami which was what made me buy Morrowind when I was about eight or nine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=En5KML-sO4A

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

here's some things I remember:

- morrowind was dumbed down from daggerfall (human being)
- daggerfall had more skills and better character creation and morrowind did not (true)
- morrowind was super small compared to daggerfall (true)
- daggerfall had better dungeons (human being)
- daggerfall was more immersive (human being)

this was a good summary of the complaints. there were others that I can't remember. A lot of people point out that Morrowind had less skills compared to Daggerfall in hopes to strengthen their argument that Oblivion-haters were somehow wrong about the true fact that Oblivion was poo poo (protip: we're not). But they forgot that Morrowind mostly removed stupid randomized poo poo that Daggerfall used for everything replaced it for hand-placed things. They also forgot that you could gently caress over yourself in like the first second of the game in Daggerfall. And they forgot that if you chose your character wrong (not a pinnacle of good design) then you couldn't get out of the loving starter dungeon.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

SunAndSpring posted:

pretty positive reception for being innovative in its graphics (excluding animations

Every Elder Scrolls game.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

LaTex Fetish posted:

here's some things I remember:

- morrowind was dumbed down from daggerfall (human being)
- daggerfall had more skills and better character creation and morrowind did not (true)
- morrowind was super small compared to daggerfall (true)
- daggerfall had better dungeons (human being)
- daggerfall was more immersive (human being)

this was a good summary of the complaints. there were others that I can't remember. A lot of people point out that Morrowind had less skills compared to Daggerfall in hopes to strengthen their argument that Oblivion-haters were somehow wrong about the true fact that Oblivion was poo poo (protip: we're not). But they forgot that Morrowind mostly removed stupid randomized poo poo that Daggerfall used for everything replaced it for hand-placed things. They also forgot that you could gently caress over yourself in like the first second of the game in Daggerfall. And they forgot that if you chose your character wrong (not a pinnacle of good design) then you couldn't get out of the loving starter dungeon.

Also most skills that were removed were those stupid language skills that nobody used outside of 10 minute gimmick runs, and added some good ones like armor skills. Climbing was legit good tho, and so was character creation :rip:

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Disco Infiva posted:

Also most skills that were removed were those stupid language skills that nobody used outside of 10 minute gimmick runs, and added some good ones like armor skills. Climbing was legit good tho, and so was character creation :rip:

my favorite things about daggerfall that I wish would come back are busting down locked doors with my strength (I always play Nord) and attacking in a different style based on how I use my mouse

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

LaTex Fetish posted:

my favorite things about daggerfall that I wish would come back are busting down locked doors with my strength (I always play Nord) and attacking in a different style based on how I use my mouse

can't you do the latter in morrowind

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Hog Butcher posted:

can't you do the latter in morrowind

I think you can but it doesn't feel the same since there are no flails in morrowind and I can't see the spiked ball crushing someone's head from an overhead swing.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Disco Infiva posted:

Character creation is Daggerfall was really dumb, because you could do things like set yourself up with a weakness to paralysis while playing as a race immune to paralysis, and thus make the debuff worthless. This also made it really easy to level up, because leveling up is based off your initial character creation, kind of like how D&D penalizes certain race's XP gain. So weaker characters level up faster than tougher ones.

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

LaTex Fetish posted:

Ever play Ultima Underworld? That game is pretty dope

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

SunAndSpring posted:

Character creation is Daggerfall was really dumb, because you could do things like set yourself up with a weakness to paralysis while playing as a race immune to paralysis, and thus make the debuff worthless. This also made it really easy to level up, because leveling up is based off your initial character creation, kind of like how D&D penalizes certain race's XP gain. So weaker characters level up faster than tougher ones.

you could exploit the game to make it easier. please, tell me more about this trend bethesda left behind in the past

there's a bunch of stuff that is legit dumb (now i level up faster because i'm allergic to orc armor) but the system is cool

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Oggumogoggum posted:

Ever play Ultima Underworld? That game is pretty dope

nah I never played it man. I might check it out, but magic: the gathering takes up all my money and time so I don't know if I can fit it in my schedule

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Hog Butcher posted:

you could exploit the game to make it easier. please, tell me more about this trend bethesda left behind in the past

there's a bunch of stuff that is legit dumb (now i level up faster because i'm allergic to orc armor) but the system is cool

Yeah, this. It's a Bethesda game so the system obviously had holes in it, but it was pretty sweet in general.

• Locked thread