Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ufarn
May 30, 2009

Riptor posted:

I'm so torn because there's nothing I would love to see more than the inevitable mental break that Romney would suffer should he win the nomination again and then lose the general once more, but the potential of him becoming President is just not worth it in my mind
It won't be possible to tell when he snaps, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Before the past few days I didn't really know much about Schweitzer other than that he was a sort of folksy populist democrat. I now regret that I had any hope or enthusiasm for him.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Maybe Schweitzer is running for Onion Biden?

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine
Considering his cable gig right now and seeming ability to say the most audacious stuff possible to take him out of running for any office in DC (remember when he was going to replace Baucus, until he came out and said in so many words that DC smells like poo poo?). He's a gadfly that's entertaining himself at this point.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I seriously can't believe he called Eric cantor a mincing homo.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Schweitzer/Biden '16. I'm on board. :allears:

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

andrew smash posted:

I seriously can't believe he called Eric cantor a mincing homo.
I dunno, the entire world, some of the gay press and this forum constantly joke about Lindsey Graham being a closeted gay dude who has a huge crush on John McCain entirely because of his mannerisms, so making fun of Southern dandies for being closet queens because of their effeminate mannerisms isn't exactly an OMG moment in reality. Has anyone ever thrown a fit at the deluge of Graham jokes that go on around here? No. I think the issue is that it's so out of left field for Cantor, who isn't publicly viewed that way as Graham is, and then he goes on to talk about his gaydar calibration rate, etc, heh. Add all the separate comments about gaydar and Southern gay men and women with their skirts over their knees together and, yeah, Schweitzer really stepped in it for absolutely no gain. Stupid of him.

EDIT: By no means should people stop joking about steamy love triangles between Graham, McCain and Lieberman, though, because the jokes are often legit funny when contextual.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Isn't the situation with Graham that he's pretty much openly closeted? Something comparable to Janet Napolitano. They're not out but it is pretty much quietly accepted fact (Anderson Cooper and Shep come to mind as well)

This would be in contrast to Marcus Bachmann who claims not to be gay but often get people joking about him.

Cantor is really weird because I am pretty sure all these years Ive never heard anyone speculate that Cantor is even sexual, let alone gay. Maybe Schweitzer is privy to DC gossip most aren't, but I'm doubting it.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

ReindeerF posted:

Has anyone ever thrown a fit at the deluge of Graham jokes that go on around here? No.

Don't tempt fate, when the anti-anti-gay derails come they're really unbearable.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Berke Negri posted:

Isn't the situation with Graham that he's pretty much openly closeted? Something comparable to Janet Napolitano. They're not out but it is pretty much quietly accepted fact (Anderson Cooper and Shep come to mind as well)
Not quite the same with the latter two, Anderson Cooper is out and Shep Smith would by all accounts be willing to if he wasn't contractually obligated by Roger Ailes to stay in the closet.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

DynamicSloth posted:

Not quite the same with the latter two, Anderson Cooper is out and Shep Smith would by all accounts be willing to if he wasn't contractually obligated by Roger Ailes to stay in the closet.

I meant before Cooper was out and before the leaking of how awful Roger Ailes is as a human being to his gay employees.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Unlike Cantor, Bachmann, and Perry, Graham has never been in any relationship that he's discussed publicly.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

DynamicSloth posted:

Berke Negri posted:

I meant before Cooper was out and before the leaking of how awful Roger Ailes is as a human being to his gay employees.
I love the contrast between the news networks: Rachel Maddow has been out for years on MSNBC, Anderson Cooper officially came out a couple years ago and was greeted with a combination of "Good for you for coming out", "We knew already", and "So what", and remains by far the best thing on CNN, while Shep Smith lost his prime time slot for even daring to hint he might not be straight by bringing his boyfriend to a Fox News picnic.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Shep Smith still gets paid oodles of money for doing less work. Might be worth it.

Also his Tell All book on Fox News is going to be great once he retires.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Joementum posted:

Mittmentum

Mormentum

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

ReindeerF posted:

I dunno, the entire world, some of the gay press and this forum constantly joke about Lindsey Graham being a closeted gay dude who has a huge crush on John McCain entirely because of his mannerisms, so making fun of Southern dandies for being closet queens because of their effeminate mannerisms isn't exactly an OMG moment in reality. Has anyone ever thrown a fit at the deluge of Graham jokes that go on around here? No. I think the issue is that it's so out of left field for Cantor, who isn't publicly viewed that way as Graham is, and then he goes on to talk about his gaydar calibration rate, etc, heh. Add all the separate comments about gaydar and Southern gay men and women with their skirts over their knees together and, yeah, Schweitzer really stepped in it for absolutely no gain. Stupid of him.

EDIT: By no means should people stop joking about steamy love triangles between Graham, McCain and Lieberman, though, because the jokes are often legit funny when contextual.

Yes, but no one in this thread is being discussed about as a potential presidential candidate.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Kobayashi posted:

Yes, but no one in this thread is being discussed about as a potential presidential candidate.

Including Schweitzer, apparently.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

They're having a Mitt fit.

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

Ask me how I smoke weed, watch hentai, everyday and how it's unfair that governments limits my ability to do this. Also ask me why I have to write in green text in order for my posts to stand out.
The list of potential GOP nominees/losers to Hillary Clinton is getting shorter. I guess Bobby Jindal could still give it a whirl...

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

AYC posted:

The list of potential GOP nominees/losers to Hillary Clinton is getting shorter. I guess Bobby Jindal could still give it a whirl...

Jindal is absolutely toxic even in his home state. He just gave away the rights for Louisianans to sue BP for the 2010 oil spill.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Kobayashi posted:

It's going to be amazing in 20 years when someone could though.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

Riptor posted:

I'm so torn because there's nothing I would love to see more than the inevitable mental break that Romney would suffer should he win the nomination again and then lose the general once more, but the potential of him becoming President is just not worth it in my mind

I sincerely want Romney to be president more than anyone else in that poll though. Imagine the potential for a Rand Paul presidency, should he get the nom (he won't, but neither will Romney). Lol.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

hobbesmaster posted:

It's going to be amazing in 20 years when someone could though.

By that time there will be some kind of general amnesty for anything you said, wrote or did, and any pictures taken, before you entered politics, or else elections will only be won by people raised by wolves.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Chantilly Say posted:

By that time there will be some kind of general amnesty for anything you said, wrote or did, and any pictures taken, before you entered politics, or else elections will only be won by people raised by wolves.

Vote Hendricks for President: He'll tear the throat out of big government

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Chantilly Say posted:

Yeah, I mean like if someone was part of something in High School called the "Choom Gang" and it was public knowledge they'd never get elected today.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

computer parts posted:

Yeah, I mean like if someone was part of something in High School called the "Choom Gang" and it was public knowledge they'd never get elected today.

L
A
T
E
R
S

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Chantilly Say posted:

There's precedent I suppose. See thread title.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

DynamicSloth posted:

Welp, the creepy guy who looks like Leland Palmer is gay.

To be gay and be a featured anchor on Fox News seems like you are destined for a special level of hell, if your life isn't already.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine
Does Fox ever book the Log Cabin Republicans?

I think I did hear one on Hannity's radio show once. His basic gist was "yes, but if we don't beat the Islamofascists, my rights won't matter anyway!"

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

De Nomolos posted:

Does Fox ever book the Log Cabin Republicans?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pALM7gPnB8c

I doubt they show up much, because look at Bill keep the narrative going.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Berke Negri posted:

Vaguely for single payer. Lied about wanting to dismantle NAFTA. Was black.
Wait, wanting NAFTA renegotiated is a liberal thing? I thought we were in favor of free trade? I don't even know anymore. I just show up and let posters not named SedanChair tell me what positions I'm supposed to have.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Wait, wanting NAFTA renegotiated is a liberal thing? I thought we were in favor of free trade? I don't even know anymore. I just show up and let posters not named SedanChair tell me what positions I'm supposed to have.

It is still a leftist holdover from the 90s, Obama got busted for talking on the camaign trail saying he would do something about it (ARE MANUFACTURING) but then recorded talking to some Canadian official (IIRC) that he was like "i just gotta say this on the campaign trail, of course were not changing nafta thats dumb"

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
NAFTA is bad for local manufacturing but it's been 20 years and most of the jobs that relocated to Mexico are now in China where a repeal of NAFTA wouldn't effect them.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
It would be great if we could push a message like "If you want cheap disposable crap that breaks when you look at it wrong, buy Chinese. If you want to help put Americans to work and buy something durable and high-quality, cough up a little extra and buy American."

Of course you would have to convince American executives to respect their labor force and invest in quality so people might actually want to work for them and buy the products, so this will never happen.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

skaboomizzy posted:

It would be great if we could push a message like "If you want cheap disposable crap that breaks when you look at it wrong, buy Chinese. If you want to help put Americans to work and buy something durable and high-quality, cough up a little extra and buy American."

Of course you would have to convince American executives to respect their labor force and invest in quality so people might actually want to work for them and buy the products, so this will never happen.

You know that "Jap Crap" used to be a thing too? Then it turned out that they can increase their quality beyond even what good American product quality was.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Yeah the quality difference is gone, sorry. Just from personal experience, Baofeng radios and Lepai amplifiers are both really great pieces of kit.

The last thing I bought with "Made in USA" on it? A lovely plastic pitcher that I bought to tide me over until I can find one I really like.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

People continuously forget that America manufactures more than it has before, even with its decreasing amount of manufacturing laborers, Thats why Obamas ARE FACTORTIES is never a reality, that automation apocalypse has already occurred twenty years ago, The real question isnt The Wire "We used to make things in this country" how do we get back to thaat? We make more than we ever did before, what do you do when you cant just base labor on building poo poo.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Berke Negri posted:

People continuously forget that America manufactures more than it has before, even with its decreasing amount of manufacturing laborers, Thats why Obamas ARE FACTORTIES is never a reality, that automation apocalypse has already occurred twenty years ago, The real question isnt The Wire "We used to make things in this country" how do we get back to thaat? We make more than we ever did before, what do you do when you cant just base labor on building poo poo.

A large part of what America makes are Capital goods (so like farming poo poo) not consumer goods, and that's the main disconnect with the "buy American" schtick.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Berke Negri posted:

Baltimore has some ambitious plans to deal with urban blight, unemployment, and food deserts all at the same time with urban farming. Small-batch artisanal crap for yuppies can make this country great again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

computer parts posted:

A large part of what America makes are Capital goods (so like farming poo poo) not consumer goods, and that's the main disconnect with the "buy American" schtick.

Not to mention with onshoring back to Mexico (shocker now that gas isnt dirt cheap it is easier to just truck it across state lines than to ship it across the pacific) it brings into question what "local jobs" are if half a family is in one country and the rest is in manufacturing in the other. This is the true future of globalization. Less "what about the factory in Trenton?" than "Kino, Sonora" it will be extremely disruptive, but in the end that is the way forward.

• Locked thread