Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Ignoarints posted:

I think ROG is a pretty silly brand name, but I also think that should have about 0% effect on whether or not you buy it or not. Maybe if was rear end Licker Series or something then perhaps

I am mostly a Mac user if that helps understanding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
Ah the real question then is what's worse, an Apple logo or Republic of Gamers

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Ignoarints posted:

Speaking of again, you just reminded me list my build on craigslist with a 40% markup (just did). Crossing my fingers for brand new devil canyons build for free

The true craigslist model is to sell an AMD-based system in a cheap case for a 100% markup that is full of pirated software.

WhyteRyce posted:

I continually buy budget level (or plain Intel) uATX boards because they are the only ones that don't have stupid things that end up being obstructions in my HTPC cases :(

Bad news for you, because the news says there will be no more Intel branded boards after Haswell.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

canyoneer posted:

The true craigslist model is to sell an AMD-based system in a cheap case for a 100% markup that is full of pirated software.

Yeah I notice a lot of that. I wonder how well they actually sell. After scrolling through 10 or so "ultra" "ultimate" "high-end" gaming builds on there anywhere from 1400-2700 my computer is a downright bargain at 2 grand compared to them.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

PerrineClostermann posted:

People resell computer parts?
I have an 8800GT and an 560Ti catching dust somewhere on a shelf. :(

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Combat Pretzel posted:

I have an 8800GT and an 560Ti catching dust somewhere on a shelf. :(

Throw that 560ti up on ebay for $0.01 while its still a feasible SLI option.

I mean I'd never recommend it but people still pay money for those

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
How much is my 470 SLI really worth?

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Ignoarints posted:

Throw that 560ti up on ebay for $0.01 while its still a feasible SLI option.

I mean I'd never recommend it but people still pay money for those

Charge $80 for shipping. :laffo:

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Shaocaholica posted:

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Shaocaholica posted:

$2559.44

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Intel announced a new server SoC yesterday. It's the Xeon D, which marries Xeon E5 x86 cores with a cache-coherent FPGA on the same package.

Microsoft played with add-in card FPGA acceleration for its Bing servers and found that they got a 10x performance increase for practically no extra power draw on accelerated algorithms. Intel estimates that QPI-connected access to system RAM and the x86 cores' cache will double again that speedup. Probably little coincidence that Microsoft is rolling out FPGA-accelerated Bing en masse next year, and speculation it'll be ported to this chip rather than stay with add-in cards.

Intel's blog post on the subject.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Factory Factory posted:

Intel announced a new server SoC yesterday. It's the Xeon D, which marries Xeon E5 x86 cores with a cache-coherent FPGA on the same package.

Microsoft played with add-in card FPGA acceleration for its Bing servers and found that they got a 10x performance increase for practically no extra power draw on accelerated algorithms. Intel estimates that QPI-connected access to system RAM and the x86 cores' cache will double again that speedup. Probably little coincidence that Microsoft is rolling out FPGA-accelerated Bing en masse next year, and speculation it'll be ported to this chip rather than stay with add-in cards.

So....buttcoins?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Nah, butts aren't bandwidth- or latency-sensitive. People hang their butt ASICs off the USB ports of a Raspberry Pi for crying out loud.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I don't even remember how to program FPGAs from college but that was soooo long ago and its probably not even close to this thing. Is there a compiler or language? Seems like there should be some high(er) level programming for something this powerful.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Shaocaholica posted:

I don't even remember how to program FPGAs from college but that was soooo long ago and its probably not even close to this thing. Is there a compiler or language? Seems like there should be some high(er) level programming for something this powerful.

The two main languages are VHDL and Verilog, with the latter being more popular I believe. I've done a fair amount of Verilog and it's not too bad, the syntax is sort of similar to C.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Shaocaholica posted:

So....buttcoins?

Trading Firms are going to love these depending on the price point and HDL.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

If you want a higher level language than HDL, there are quite a few options; Labview can even compile on an FPGA.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Chuu posted:

You are assuming trading firms don't already do something with fpgas.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

People resell computer parts?

To add an opposite data point to the overprice poo poo on eBay and craigslist, I buy a lot of good stuff off OCAU (computer forum) for quite cheap. As soon as a new GPU or CPU come out the mad enthusiasts are selling off their perfectly good stuff to pay down their credit cards.

As an example the last thing I bought was a GTX680 for half the price it was still selling retail the month after the 780 came out.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Chuu posted:

How so? Run their voodoo trading logic a few nano seconds quicker?

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

deimos posted:

You are assuming trading firms don't already do something with fpgas.
They do, some people do it from home too. Here's a job listing, heck. http://www.indeed.com/salary/q-Fpga-Technologist-High-Frequency-Trading-l-New-York,-NY.html

It's not a terribly high paying job for the industry but certainly better than what I thought I'd have gotten when I was working on compilers for FPGAs combined with Xeons in heterogeneous architectures.... in 2003. The general latency then on a PCI bus and I/O in general was almost always the problem, unless you had the compute kernel stay on-chip entirely, which isn't that far off from how you'd want to work with a GPU. Not sure why GPUs couldn't be used instead of FPGAs for the FPU but perhaps the long pipeline and lack of sufficient precision for the financial and probability calculations killed GPGPUs for finance specifically.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Shaocaholica posted:

How so? Run their voodoo trading logic a few nano seconds quicker?

Keep in mind that Arista networks exists strictly because they can switch HFT packets faster than anyone else, so yes.

Edit: that is phrased wrong, Arista makes a great product but they have never needed for anything because they are pretty much the best HFT-oriented networking gear. They laughed at me when I asked for a demo unit and told them my budget.

deimos fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jun 20, 2014

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MaxxBot posted:

The two main languages are VHDL and Verilog, with the latter being more popular I believe. I've done a fair amount of Verilog and it's not too bad, the syntax is sort of similar to C.

VHDL is the devil.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

VHDL is the devil.
No, flipping bits in a bitstream is the devil. VHDL is wonderful.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Guess this is the first oc test of a non ES sample.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1490324/the-intel-devils-canyon-owners-club/1430

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Jeez, 1.25 volts. Jealous.

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

For Blood, Comic Mischief, Mature Humor, Nudity, Strong Language, Suggestive Themes, Use of Alcohol, and Intense Violence.

Online Interactions Not Rated.
Oh, so they are available today? I thought those got pushed out to this Wednesday.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

MisterAlex posted:

Oh, so they are available today? I thought those got pushed out to this Wednesday.

Someone got a estimated delivery notice for the 26th from amazon. Stores in the eu already have stock.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Shaocaholica posted:

So....buttcoins?

Chuu posted:

Here's Charlie Demerjian's ramblings about why Intel would add that feature. Charlie's often a bit loopy but sometimes he comes up with some interesting thoughts.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Tigerdirect just cancelled my order stating lack of availability.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Factory Factory posted:

That's pretty awesome; I used to design heterogenous compute accelerators, firstly with an Opteron-based design since HyperTransport had available IP for FPGAs, and Intel didn't have anything. Before I left, we switched over to Intel-based, using PCIe (transparent & non-transparent) as the interconnect. Altera & Xilinx have QPI IP now, so looks like the HPC guys or anyone who is latency-sensitive has a new best friend here. PCIe 3.0 never left us starved for bandwidth, and with the root complex moving to become a first-class citizen since Sandy Bridge, latency was very acceptable as well. Got the improved performance, thermals and IPC of the Xeons along with high-bandwidth links to accelerators.

Stellarton was an Atom (bleh) strapped together with an Arria II FPGA on the same package IIRC, but it wasn't super well thought out; they just internally wired together some PCIe lanes, that was about it. Looks like this is much more tightly coupled--I would guess it is not Xilinx, since they are still fabbing entirely with TSMC for their 7-series parts.

Think FPGAs will still have a higher development cost/curve than paying guys to write OpenCL/CUDA kernels to run on GPUs, though I believe some FPGA vendors have voodoo OpenCL toolkits that can turn your kernels into RTL to implement on the chip.

movax fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jun 20, 2014

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

movax posted:

That's pretty awesome; I used to design heterogenous compute accelerators, firstly with an Opteron-based design since HyperTransport had available IP for FPGAs, and Intel didn't have anything. Before I left, we switched over to Intel-based, using PCIe (transparent & non-transparent) as the interconnect. Altera & Xilinx have QPI IP now, so looks like the HPC guys or anyone who is latency-sensitive has a new best friend here. PCIe 3.0 never left us starved for bandwidth, and with the root complex moving to become a first-class citizen since Sandy Bridge, latency was very acceptable as well. Got the improved performance, thermals and IPC of the Xeons along with high-bandwidth links to accelerators.

Stellarton was an Atom (bleh) strapped together with an Arria II FPGA on the same package IIRC, but it wasn't super well thought out; they just internally wired together some PCIe lanes, that was about it. Looks like this is much more tightly coupled--I would guess it is not Xilinx, since they are still fabbing entirely with TSMC for their 7-series parts.

Think FPGAs will still have a higher development cost/curve than paying guys to write OpenCL/CUDA kernels to run on GPUs, though I believe some FPGA vendors have voodoo OpenCL toolkits that can turn your kernels into RTL to implement on the chip.

It's almost surely altera since they are fabbing on Intel

Gpus fail hard at what bing wants these to do namely network packet processing ; the warp smt model sucks for branchy code

I can see some of the existing xeons replaced but the point of the fpga accelerators is that you get far better power efficiency by offloading entirely to hardware

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

To plug into what? Is there a 32 lane pci-e slot?

Yes.

http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon/C600/X9DRW-7TPF_.cfm

They're super rare and I've only ever seen them used for riser cards in servers, though.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

canyoneer posted:

This guy used to list the 50 games he threw in 'for free'

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

I like how he lists the voltage of the CCFL.

Guy on overclock says its not stable and hes on a 360mm rad.

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jun 20, 2014

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

This guy used to list the 50 games he threw in 'for free'

Nah, that build cost him like $400. His case didn't even come with a Diablotek power supply!

http://cnj.craigslist.org/sys/4513401320.html

This bastard wants $300 for a computer with a loving floppy disk drive.

quote:

Specs:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor

ASUS M2N Motherboard

465 GB Hard Drive

4 GB Memory

Optical (DVD/CD) Drive

Wireless Adapter

It also includes:

7 USB ports (5 in the back and 2 in the front)

A headphone and microphone jack

A blue LED power button & a restart button

A mouse and keyboard jack for PS/2's

DVI and Monitor port

Remember, it is ONLY the computer. What is NOT included is the mouse, mointor, or keyboard. It does have an operating system (Windows 7 64-bit).

*DISCLAIMER* - I DO NOT offer a warranty. If it breaks after I sell it, I cannot fix it. PCs are fragile. So no refunds. As of right now, everything works, however, there is an issue with the sound, but other than that, everything works.

Thanks!

KillHour fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jun 20, 2014

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
All jokes aside Diablotek gets thrown around as a negative brand (they are) but the gold standard for all-time shittiest power supply will always and forever be the Powmax Demon.

The Newegg reviews were incredible :allears:

future ghost fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jun 20, 2014

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Everything works. Except the things that don't. But everything works.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So what are some real world latency sensitive applications?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Shaocaholica posted:

So what are some real world latency sensitive applications?

It depends on how much latency you're talking about, but almost anything to do with real-time audio, for starters.