Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Waroduce posted:

are there any videos i can watch to have people talk football at me like tactics/personell/strategy of specific matches or in general
like this was really cool https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxE65Wx2JSo

loving SA isn't letting me set a time so skip to time marks dont sit through the intros

like...i used to watch this kinda poo poo for american football all the time https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2f_qFhT1m7o&t=52s is a decent entry level video or something like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5fi6SWtOTI skip to 2:57

or even https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KNBMg014_A skip to 1:27

BBC Match of the Day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

go back 2 Texaco
May 21, 2007

Waroduce posted:

are there any videos i can watch to have people talk football at me like tactics/personell/strategy of specific matches or in general
like this was really cool https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxE65Wx2JSo

loving SA isn't letting me set a time so skip to time marks dont sit through the intros

like...i used to watch this kinda poo poo for american football all the time https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2f_qFhT1m7o&t=52s is a decent entry level video or something like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5fi6SWtOTI skip to 2:57

or even https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KNBMg014_A skip to 1:27

I watched these once. I know nothing about tactics so I have no clue if its any good.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=nike+academy+tactics

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW
One of the better MNF bids is Neville and Carragher discussing David Luiz (Brazil's starting centre-back). Its educational because they really get into positioning. And it's hilarious because Carragher goes mental at the idea that Luiz might be playing in an acceptable fashion.

Google "Neville Carragher Luiz" and it will pop up.

Also if you're watching today's highlights check the Australian left back on Robin Van Persie's goal for Holland for a great example of how not to hold a line. What a dipshit.

Earthy Ape Unit fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jun 19, 2014

Private Eye
Jul 12, 2010

Don't be so bloody gay, Cambo

Earthy Ape Unit posted:

Also if you're watching today's highlights check the Australian left back on Robin Van Persie's goal for Holland for a great example of how not to hold a line. What a dipshit.

Martin O'Neill spend ages lambasting the centre halves and saying it wasn't Davidson's (the LB) fault. He was saying that one of the centre halves should have broken the line and followed Van Persie back. Vieira was just like what.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

Private Eye posted:

Martin O'Neill spend ages lambasting the centre halves and saying it wasn't Davidson's (the LB) fault. He was saying that one of the centre halves should have broken the line and followed Van Persie back. Vieira was just like what.

I think O'Neill was sort of right, but his argument should've been the Centre Backs were loving idiots for playing offside against Robben and Van Persie.

Edit : in the box too!

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

DickEmery posted:

I think O'Neill was sort of right, but his argument should've been the Centre Backs were loving idiots for playing offside against Robben and Van Persie.

They would have gotten away with it if it weren't for that meddling left back. The far more inexcusable goal was Depays.

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

DickEmery posted:

Yeah i get this point but I dont care if the centre backs were marking superman and the flash...if they are playing the trap you have to hold.

ChrisXP
Nov 25, 2004

"In football, time and space are the same thing."
Redczar

In the UK anyway, some things seem to bee unwritten rules.
You'll always seem to get a yellow card if you:
* Pull the shirt of someone running away from you.
* Slide in and knock someone into the air.
* Get caught diving.
* Foul someone who had a run on goal, where there was another defender close by.
* Clearly intentional handball
* Foul someone who is running really fast.
* Anything clearly cynical.

Other than that, if its not a red, it will probably only be a freekick.

ChrisXP
Nov 25, 2004

"In football, time and space are the same thing."

Waroduce posted:

This may be a better question for the lockerroom thread, and if it is, i'll move it

Yeah, you'll probably best asking again in there. It kinda got lost here.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Earthy Ape Unit posted:

Yeah i get this point but I dont care if the centre backs were marking superman and the flash...if they are playing the trap you have to hold.

This. It's not like it's up to the centrebacks to decide if they team uses the offside trap not and once the decision is made, everyone needs to follow it no matter what their personal judgement might be.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I don't think I've ever seen a more perfect offside trap than the two Mexican CBs played against Fred on the edge of their 6-yard box. The way they stopped in perfect sync the moment before Oscar passed was amazing.

It's at 1:19 in this if you have iPlayer access, can't find it in highlight videos unfortunately.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Waroduce posted:

like this was really cool

During the season every Monday night Neville and Carragher talk through the matches of the previous weekend and break down the play and tactics of the game. Neville is probably the best pundit in football which was a shock to everyone, and he's well worth a listen to on pretty much any subject.

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

Waroduce posted:

What are the major differences between the most famous/competitive leagues? Like style/strategically and players n poo poo

These are all massive sterotypes but its how things are usually perceived in england at least

English league: Hard defenders, big lads up top, physical fast paced game but lacking in technical ability outside of foreigners
Spanish league: Technincally good but full of diving fancy dans who dont like it up them and are defensively poo poo
Italian league: Slow paced, defensive, boring despite having an abundance of quality
German league: organised, mix of attack and defense, few flashy players but just good solid play
everywhere else: No one cares

Carrier
May 12, 2009

TelekineticBear! posted:

These are all massive sterotypes but its how things are usually perceived in england at least

English league: Hard defenders, big lads up top, physical fast paced game but lacking in technical ability outside of foreigners
Spanish league: Technincally good but full of diving fancy dans who dont like it up them and are defensively poo poo
Italian league: Slow paced, defensive, boring despite having an abundance of quality
German league: organised, mix of attack and defense, few flashy players but just good solid play

French League: Zlatan + others

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Carrier posted:

French League: Zlatan + others

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Dutch League: Comedy defending, strikers who look good there but can't hack it anywhere else

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Nostradingus posted:

Dutch League: Comedy defending, strikers who look good there but can't hack it anywhere else

See also; Scottish Premiership

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

ChrisXP posted:

Redczar

In the UK anyway, some things seem to bee unwritten rules.
You'll always seem to get a yellow card if you:
* Pull the shirt of someone running away from you.
* Slide in and knock someone into the air.
* Get caught diving.
* Foul someone who had a run on goal, where there was another defender close by.
* Clearly intentional handball
* Foul someone who is running really fast.
* Anything clearly cynical.

Other than that, if its not a red, it will probably only be a freekick.

This is a pretty good list, though I wouldn't say they're unwritten; most of these are in the Laws somewhere or other. And anything else would fall under the crazy catchall that is "Unsporting Behaviour" aka the "don't be a dick" law

The handling thing I think deserves special mention because it sort of came up in the Netherlands match yesterday with the penalty decision. First of all, you hear pundits, commentators, etc say things like "that should be a yellow for intentional handball" or some such. To be clear, handling must be deliberate. There is no such thing as a handling which is unintentional. (This is, by the way, the reason most referees will not use the term "handball" - it lacks the implication of a deliberate act that "handling" has)

So if a yellow isn't for intentional handling, what is it for? The laws specify two situations, namely handling to prevent an opponent gaining possession or developing an attack (if I caught or knocked down a cross into the area, for example); and handling to score a goal. And then of course, handling to prevent a clear goal (aka doing a Suarez) gets you sent off.

By the way, how do you know if it's deliberate or not? You can't read minds, but this is the instruction on what to take into account to make the decision:

quote:

• the movement of the hand towards the ball (not the ball towards the hand)
• the distance between the opponent and the ball (unexpected ball)
• the position of the hand does not necessarily mean that there is an infringement
• touching the ball with an object held in the hand (clothing, shinguard, etc.) counts as an infringement
• hitting the ball with a thrown object (boot, shinguard, etc.) counts as an infringement

Cory Snyder
Jan 27, 2004

People have compared me to Cal Ripken...
Has a country ever lost to someone in the group round, then went on to beat them in an elimination game?

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

Cory Snyder posted:

Has a country ever lost to someone in the group round, then went on to beat them in an elimination game?

Off the top of my head, in 1954 West Germany lost to Hungary like 8-3 or something and then later beat them in the final 2-3. I'm sure it's happened a lot of times, the best team doesn't always win.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Waroduce posted:

can someone talk about club v international levels of play? I always wss under the impression that international was the highest most beautiful form of soccer but i think alot of people think otherwise? Like hold the uefa in higher regard due to some international teams not clicking or having the practice time needed to be comfortable w each other or their positions?

In the "Pele" era, through the (late) 50's, 60's and 70's, international football was unquestionably the peak of the game. If you look at the squad lists for the 1970 World Cup, almost all of the players were based in their home countries, and the famous 1970 Brazil team was an entirely domestically based team that beat an entirely domestically based Italian team in the final. So a World Cup at that point is essentially an all-star team from each league playing each other to see who's the best in the world.

In comparison, the current Brazil squad has 19 players out of 23 playing in Europe, and the other four are the two back-up goalkeepers, plus Fred (his name is Fred and he stands stock-still, wooooaaahhhoooahhh) and Jo. Ever since the rise of the expanded Champions League and the huge money coming into the sport in Europe (particularly England, and people have written literal dissertations on how and why that happened), there's been a consolidation of players into the big European league (as well as a lot of the smaller ones). These are, overwhelmingly: England, Spain, Germany and Italy. Of the last 19 Champions League finals, both the winner and runner-up were both from those four countries in 18 of them.

There's then a range of leagues below those four (particularly France, Holland and Portugal) that tend to buy players and sell upwards, and certain teams within the four big leagues that further consolidate talent based on their financial position (the history of all hitherto existing German football is the history of Bayern purchasing the second-placed team's best player). So we're now at a position where the Madrid team that won the Champions League is almost unquestionably better than any team that's come to the World Cup. Especially the Spanish one.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Would it be fair to say that Cameroonian goalkeeper was playing the position in 1980s style, running out of the box over and over again

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

WEREWAIF posted:

Would it be fair to say that Cameroonian goalkeeper was playing the position in 1980s style, running out of the box over and over again

I didn't catch a lot of the game but goalkeepers who come far out of their area is common with big teams that have a lot of possession. Barcelona are pretty famous for this in recent years, with otherwise-average keeper Victor Valdes lauded because he was decent with his feet and could act as basically a far back defender.

Again Inter in the 2010 Champions League semifinal he was in the center circle a bit iirc

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

That's modern goalkeeping, where they act as makeshift sweeper. True '80s keepers would never ever stray that far away and be glued to the goal at all times.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

FullLeatherJacket posted:

Ever since the rise of the expanded Champions League and the huge money coming into the sport in Europe (particularly England, and people have written literal dissertations on how and why that happened), there's been a consolidation of players into the big European league (as well as a lot of the smaller ones). These are, overwhelmingly: England, Spain, Germany and Italy. Of the last 19 Champions League finals, both the winner and runner-up were both from those four countries in 18 of them.

can you link or talk about this i would like to hear more. perhaps an entry level paragraph and than link a dissertation?

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

TelekineticBear! posted:

why is pl lacking in technical ability? I always hear from people that its the 'best leauge' and like hardest to make it in and stuff. if its so technically deficient why is it so highly regarded

i want to start watching some soccer, and was leaning toward the PL but idk now :(

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Waroduce posted:

why is pl lacking in technical ability? I always hear from people that its the 'best leauge' and like hardest to make it in and stuff. if its so technically deficient why is it so highly regarded

i want to start watching some soccer, and was leaning toward the PL but idk now :(

It's not less technical any more really, the PL has a ton of foreigners playing in it and managing in it that most if not all of the top teams are quite technical. Like he said, those are stereotypes left over from the 90's when the distinction was much more clear.

If you live in America and get NBC Sports, you can watch literally every PL game on any internet device you have every league weekend, so it's probably your best bet. All of the leagues have their charms and are fun in their own way but if you're unattached it's easiest and probably more fun to watch the English leagues. It's also got the busiest threads on here so you'll have lots to talk about!

Waroduce posted:

can you link or talk about this i would like to hear more. perhaps an entry level paragraph and than link a dissertation?

The simple answer to this isn't even a treatise: these leagues have the most money and the countries are traditional football powerhouses with traditionally strong leagues since before most of us were even born. TV money, especially related to the Champions League, has pretty much locked in who has money and what teams can buy the best players.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
but who do i support :ohdear:

maybe ill ask in an pl thread closer to season

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

Waroduce posted:

I dont think you will have trouble finding space on the QPR bandwagon.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Waroduce posted:

Watch all of the leagues, but more importantly, find a local team to see live (whatever league or level). It's better that way.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

Waroduce posted:

It's not lacking in technical ability since most of the best players in the world play there, it's just that the style is more intense and defenses offer up much less space than in let's say Spain so players aren't always encouraged to hold on to the ball and try to do crazy poo poo like they are in some other leagues. Neymar for example is not physically imposing and holds on to the ball too long so he'd probably get destroyed in the PL, the Spanish league is much more suitable for a player like him. As to what to watch, just try some of the big games from every league and see which is more to your taste.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
Dont watch la liga its a total poo poo show

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Does anyone know a good way of watching more Bundesliga games than Gol TV shows in the US? It all seems to be subscription based, and while Hola would work in terms of geographic limits, I can't really get a Sky subscription.

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Waroduce posted:

watch a foreign team who's entertaining and wins all the time, and a local team that's poo poo and loses all the time

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

gtkor posted:

I dont think you will have trouble finding space on the QPR bandwagon.
hahahaha

Watch The Four Year Plan first.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
What was the best performance of the Pep coached Barcelona?

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Waroduce posted:

There was a flowchart somewhere, but, basically the "big 5" that have multitudes of fans across the world are:

Manchester United
Liverpool
Chelsea
Arsenal
Manchester City

These teams tend to fight over the top spots, and occasionally a few other teams will break into them (See: Newcastle United or Tottenham Hotspur). Everyone can come up with positive and negative reasons to follow any one of those teams.

If you pick any one of those teams, you'll likely be accepted by half the people and called a plastic by the other half. If you pick a team not on that list, you'll be watching a mediocre team that either stays in mid table or gets relegated at the end of the season.

The reason to watch EPL is, like previously said, it's the only league really easily available in the US. NBC Sports has promised to play every single premiere league game. The other big leagues (German Bundesliga, Spanish La Liga, Italian Serie A) are really difficult to watch unless you order specialty channels like Fox Soccer or Bein TV. Even then, they won't be showing all the games.

However, Fox Soccer has the UEFA Champions League, which is something you definitely want to watch when it happens. It will also be one of the few chances to watch international teams play that you otherwise won't get to see.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
just spend a season watching big matches and then follow a team with some player that you have fallen in love with

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.

Waroduce posted:

Don't support a particular team because you're an American with literally no ties to any of them. Just watch interesting matches and enjoy the game.

Slaapaav posted:

just spend a season watching big matches and then follow a team with some player that you have fallen in love with

Yeah, this, but you don't have to do the second part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Just pick a team to support at the start of every match you watch.

• Locked thread