Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
Yeah, I hit a pay wall too. I'd be interested. My experience of Canada, even at the fringes, has been mostly positive. However, I'd be first to admit I've never sought the bad stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
Just buy the kindle single guys. It's a full 99 cents, and you all have amazon accounts.

Off to read it now.

otter space
Apr 10, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

I feel a bit ashamed by that article because cook st. village is my hood. Is there a non-paywall version of that somewhere? Also Victoria is specially a city where it's who you know, not what you know. Also all problems on the island are blamed on outsiders. Housing prices? Rich albertans/ontarians. Homeless? They all come from off the island to enjoy our weather and ample social services that border on spoiling them. Victoria isn't what it used to be, it used to be a polite middle class place ad now those outsiders came and ruined it all. They've been saying that for the last 60 years.

I paid 99 cents for the article because I was curious. The condensed version:

- Guy and his wife move to Victoria, pay $1200 for an ill-behaved dog from a backyard breeder without checking to see if their building even allows dogs (it doesn't). Guy complains a lot about The Rules and the elderly "undead creeps" that are unhappy about the dog. Guy's car gets ticketed and towed for lapsed insurance, but he insists it must be because it's a 1985 Hyundai.

- Guy gets fired from his job for loving up his paperwork, but insists it must be because he taught some students how to argue, thus displeasing Canadian academics, who are ""masters of oblique malice".

- Guy pays a naturopath $700 for a blood test and is told to eat hazelnuts. He has an allergic reaction and brags to the emergency crew about his PhD. Tries to get a refund from the naturopath and fails.

- Guy buys a piece of poo poo boat to live on. The boat has no toilet, guzzles propane, and the dog hates it. Their Hyundai catches on fire for some reason.

-Winter arrives and living on a boat sucks, so guy and his wife try to stay at a Salvation Army that is men only. They are turned away. They end up staying at his wife's boss's house. He bitches about her lack of charitibility.. They spend one night and then go spend the winter with his brother in Seattle.

There's also a substantial amount of weird and baseless insults about librarians, health care workers, and cops as well. Oh, and he brags about his Wikipedia entry.

poor_life_choices.txt

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

otter space posted:

- Guy and his wife move to Victoria, pay $1200 for an ill-behaved dog from a backyard breeder without checking to see if their building even allows dogs (it doesn't). Guy complains a lot about The Rules and the elderly "undead creeps" that are unhappy about the dog. Guy's car gets ticketed and towed for lapsed insurance, but he insists it must be because it's a 1985 Hyundai.

- Guy gets fired from his job for loving up his paperwork, but insists it must be because he taught some students how to argue, thus displeasing Canadian academics, who are ""masters of oblique malice".

- Guy pays a naturopath $700 for a blood test and is told to eat hazelnuts. He has an allergic reaction and brags to the emergency crew about his PhD. Tries to get a refund from the naturopath and fails.

- Guy buys a piece of poo poo boat to live on. The boat has no toilet, guzzles propane, and the dog hates it. Their Hyundai catches on fire for some reason.

-Winter arrives and living on a boat sucks, so guy and his wife try to stay at a Salvation Army that is men only. They are turned away. They end up staying at his wife's boss's house. He bitches about her lack of charitibility.. They spend one night and then go spend the winter with his brother in Seattle.

There's also a substantial amount of weird and baseless insults about librarians, health care workers, and cops as well. Oh, and he brags about his Wikipedia entry.

poor_life_choices.txt

That dude sounds like a serious retard, and he doesn't seem to learn from his bad choices. Apparently Canada is "unfriendly" because reality keeps intruding upon his whims.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

otter space posted:

poor_life_choices.txt

Yeah it seemed like a cascade of easily avoidable bad decisions especially paying a quack $700 for treatment and almost dying as a result.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
How about sticking it on pastebin

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Oh man, the hazelnut part was the best.

I don't doubt that Canada is hard for immigrants (as all new countries are for their immigrants), and of course Victoria can be beyond parochial at the best of times, but seriously - what a litany of bad decisions.

I don't think there's any overarching lesson of value about Canada to be had in here.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
Sounds like goon_in_a_well.txt

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

God drat I wish that guy had an e/n thread.

Also it links back to a previous housing topic: don't live on a loving boat unless you're a married to the sea passionate sailor. Living on a boat isn't a lifestyle, it's a horrible sacrifice people with a passion for sailing endure to afford their hobby.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

Also it links back to a previous housing topic: don't live on a loving boat unless you're a married to the sea passionate sailor. Living on a boat isn't a lifestyle, it's a horrible sacrifice people with a passion for sailing endure to afford their hobby.

"A hole in the water into which money is poured"

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Baronjutter posted:

Not true! If you already have a lot of money, you can live a comfortable life on a large boat/yacht and see lots of the world. It certainly can be a nice, if hideously expensive, lifestyle.

But, yeah, people that imagine they're going to do it to save money are retards.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I feel bad for endorsing this article based on the summary, now, and holy poo poo this guy reminds me of a goon from a few years back. :stare:

The EN thread where the guy was living in squalor in a trailer with zero cash but built a sick gaming rig, if you remember it.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

The whiny article owned since the guy lists all the bad experiences caused by evil arrogant canadians even though the reader can pretty much tell he's avoiding personal responsibility for bad decisions.

Who would know things such as being constantly arrogant around co-workers on a regular basis or going to a quack doctor for a allergy cure would end in tears?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Lexicon posted:

Oh man, the hazelnut part was the best.

I don't doubt that Canada is hard for immigrants (as all new countries are for their immigrants), and of course Victoria can be beyond parochial at the best of times, but seriously - what a litany of bad decisions.

I don't think there's any overarching lesson of value about Canada to be had in here.

Hahaha I started reading the new posts from newest backwards, and as soon as I got the hazelnuts, I knew exactly what you guys were talking about. That article is the most fascinating combination of genuine difficulties that newcomers to BC face, with utterly terrible decisions made in pursuit of the "BC dream lifestyle."

Rime posted:

I feel bad for endorsing this article based on the summary, now, and holy poo poo this guy reminds me of a goon from a few years back. :stare:

Don't feel bad -- you were half right, and the article's well worth reading. The best part is that it's the same guy who writes the War Nerd articles.

Rime posted:

The EN thread where the guy was living in squalor in a trailer with zero cash but built a sick gaming rig, if you remember it.

The one where he had a 6-year-old daughter he was neglecting at the same time? Apparently that one had a happy ending some months later, though. At least the guy in the article didn't have a kid.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

So is Canada back to not being a terrible shithole, assuming that otter space's summary of the article is accurate?

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Lead out in cuffs posted:

The one where he had a 6-year-old daughter he was neglecting at the same time? Apparently that one had a happy ending some months later, though. At least the guy in the article didn't have a kid.

Did it? I know he got his account banned and the thread goldmined, at the time, because people weren't sure if he was trolling or just completely out of touch with reality.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lol, not only did he go see a quack for a allergy test but also listened to the quack when she told him to improve his health he needed to eat even more nuts.

So he proceeds to eat a pile of hazelnuts, gets a powerful allergic reaction and only survived since he took some anti-histamine pills during the attack.

Also after his bad experience being surround by Beta Canadians the whole day, he tried teaching at the american university in Iraq and also got fired from the job lol

His Phd was on the writings of the famous Marquis de Sade

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Dolan_(writer)

etalian fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jun 20, 2014

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

etalian posted:

lol, not only did he go see a quack for a allergy test but also listened to the quack when she told him to improve his health he needed to eat even more nuts.

So he proceeds to eat a pile of hazelnuts, gets a powerful allergic reaction and only survived since he took some anti-histamine pills during the attack.

Also after his bad experience being surround by Beta Canadians the whole day, he tried teaching at the american university in Iraq and also got fired from the job lol

His Phd was on the writings of the famous Marquis de Sade

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Dolan_(writer)

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate Disco > Canada Housing Bubble: Maple-Leaf Lies.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Rime posted:

Did it? I know he got his account banned and the thread goldmined, at the time, because people weren't sure if he was trolling or just completely out of touch with reality.

Yes, the goon in question is Floppy Dingo, and he got his life together and re-gained custody of his kids.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
If you cannot hack it in loving Victoria I wouldn't try to head to any other city (because you are deeply incapable of dealing with others)

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

JawKnee posted:

If you cannot hack it in loving Victoria I wouldn't try to head to any other city (because you are deeply incapable of dealing with others)

It's an excellent city to just sort of chill in, maybe get an education, maybe retire. If you have any aspirations or need for work you'll have to move on though. But if you find an ok little gig that pays the bills it's a pretty ok place. It's specially troublesome because our "move to the big city!" city is Vancouver which is also poo poo for careers but way more expensive.

I'm only making like 16.50 an hour but I'm doing ok. I'm not ambitious so Victoria suites me fine. If someone offered me $25 an hour to the same work in Vancouver I'd maybe consider it, if my wife got a similar raise. Even then it would be a very tough sell. I'd need to be making at least 100k a year to go to Alberta though and my wife offered a similar job. Even then my main thought is that I found my dream apartment and I don't think I'll ever find another so I'm staying put! It's just too loving nice here. I drive like once a week. gently caress cars, gently caress sprawling cities even if they have ok transit. If I can't live my life mostly on foot I'm not interested in the place.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jun 20, 2014

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Baronjutter posted:

It's an excellent city to just sort of chill in, maybe get an education, maybe retire. If you have any aspirations or need for work you'll have to move on though. But if you find an ok little gig that pays the bills it's a pretty ok place.

that's true. The few friends I have that still live there are holding on despite not being able to do anything in their career path because they just love it there so much. There's a lot to love though, I get out to the Island as much as possible.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

PT6A posted:

Yes, the goon in question is Floppy Dingo, and he got his life together and re-gained custody of his kids.

So Floppy Dingo is the new account of This guy, then?

Just want to make sure, there never was a satisfactory conclusion to that tale.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
FWIW my husband regularly mentions things that happen on a day to day basis that he's just like "holy poo poo that just wouldn't happen in Australia".

The other day we were on Lonsdale in North Van and a semi trailer delivery truck parked our car in since obviously he wasn't going to find a parking spot, so we figured we'd wait until he was done and my husband went and leaned against a telephone pole for a bit and the guy noticed and asked him if he was blocking us in and my husband said yes, the guy immediately apologized and moved his huge rear end truck back so we could get out. My husband couldn't believe it, he was like "holy poo poo, first of all no one in Australia would even bother asking and if they did you'd just get 'yeah mate I'll be done soon just hang on'"

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Rime posted:

So Floppy Dingo is the new account of This guy, then?

Just want to make sure, there never was a satisfactory conclusion to that tale.

Yes there was. There was a big thread about how he turned his life around and got his kids back. It was his custom title for the longest time, but I can't find the thread.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Canadians’ household debt eases! :toot: ... as gains in stock markets and real estate prices boosted the Canadians’ cumulative wealth. :suicide:

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Rime posted:

Don't feel bad - it was enormously entertaining!

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

JawKnee posted:

I'm a fan of Victoria, but I disagree with this. There's not much work, and it's pretty insular and old-boys-club. I can see it being a really challenging place to turn up and make a go of things, at least initially.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

less than three posted:

Canadians’ household debt eases! :toot: ... as gains in stock markets and real estate prices boosted the Canadians’ cumulative wealth. :suicide:

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

This is great: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXbO8WFCMjw

Best part: the utter disbelief at the stupidity in the guy's voice.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

less than three posted:

Its about time people with money caught a break.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
CCTV America? As in China state TV? That's amazing.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

I'll just ... leave this little bit of schadenfreude here:

http://business.financialpost.com/2014/06/17/alberta-women-532640-in-hole-after-they-failed-to-do-the-math-on-real-estate-investments/

peter banana
Sep 2, 2008

Feminism is a socialist, anti-family, political movement that encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians.
oof. But a $32k LoC and a $24k car loan generally indicates "badwithmoneyitis"

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

quote:

Their biggest debt is a carryover from a rental property speculation gone sour. In 2007, Georgia and Ruth borrowed against what was then their mortgage-free home to buy two rental properties. Their total loan was $895,000. That broke down to a $285,000 mortgage on their home and $610,000 against the rental units.

One of the rental properties had bad tenants, then no tenants. Both were running at a loss. So they sold one last year and took a $115,000 loss in Alberta’s volatile real estate market. Now they have to deal with the remaining debt and the residual line of credit.

The remaining rental property initially cost them $450,000 for purchase and some repairs. Today it is worth an estimated $350,000, but it has stable renters who pay $2,350 a month. They want to keep the unit and hope that in a few years they can get their $100,000 price difference back. For now, they are carrying the unit at a loss on book value and a loss on rental income, which is $336 a month less than interest they pay and property tax.

Real estate dot txt

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Hahaha gently caress em

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Cultural Imperial posted:

Hahaha gently caress em

Truly, they deserve to be be poor because they made lovely, stupid choices.

I'm going to ask you again: why do you seem to take so much happiness away from seeing people destroy their finances through their own stupidity? I mean, they don't deserve to be bailed out or anything, but I still feel bad for them, that their own stupidity hosed them over so bad. Again, you seem really, really bitter. It is jealousy or what?

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

PT6A posted:

I'm going to ask you again: why do you seem to take so much happiness away from seeing people destroy their finances through their own stupidity? I mean, they don't deserve to be bailed out or anything, but I still feel bad for them, that their own stupidity hosed them over so bad. Again, you seem really, really bitter. It is jealousy or what?

Why do you feel bad for them? The whole point of capitalism is that you're supposed to lose your money if you do retarded things with it.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

ChairMaster posted:

Why do you feel bad for them? The whole point of capitalism is that you're supposed to lose your money if you do retarded things with it.
He feels bad just long enough to ask a ridiculous leading question to derail the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

PT6A posted:

It's not obvious to you? I'm a pretty cruel hearted and bitter person. And why should other people have nice things if I can't? I'm entitled to it!