Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
And it's time to put the Faery Lord on trial. :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Captain Bravo posted:

Ahhhahahaha! I never saw any of the DLC for this game, so I had no idea about the alternate costumes. Booty-shorts Ellen is the best. :v:

Edit: Is she wearing a wig? You can see strands of her dark hair underneath the blonde. Is that literally a streetwalker outfit? :pwn:

Whatever it is, it certainly makes the Pubmaster's dialogue more amusing.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

GimmickMan posted:

Whatever it is, it certainly makes the Pubmaster's dialogue more amusing.

I was rather expecting him to propose to Ellen about halfway through that story.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
Hearing the Hellrealm denizen talk about changing clothes at the portal was pretty amusingly awkward. It's too bad Ellen wasn't in that leather outfit when he did it, because that would be more than fitting for him to hint at her having a change.

I wonder if his 30 different outfits and 'snazziest gear' is just different cowls and cloaks of the slightly different colour.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Nidoking posted:

I was rather expecting him to propose to Ellen about halfway through that story.
So was I, honestly. "Yeah, it's about time for my daughter to have a mom again. She seems to like you, so let's get married."

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
I wonder if the game keeps track of what you wore during cutscenes. It would have been kind of funny if she wore that artsy, beret outfit during the hypnotizing scene, switched outfits before checking the video and then the video showed past Ellen wearing her current outfit in a retroactive fit.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Daigerus posted:

I wonder if the game keeps track of what you wore during cutscenes. It would have been kind of funny if she wore that artsy, beret outfit during the hypnotizing scene, switched outfits before checking the video and then the video showed past Ellen wearing her current outfit in a retroactive fit.

I'm quite sure it doesn't - you can see it for yourself in some of the past chapters, such as in chapter 3 when Ellen visits Dr. Lester while Keats is there, or when the two of them meet at the fork in the Undersea City. For many cutscenes when you're playing as Keats, the game just puts Ellen into a default outfit. In fact, I was surprised at one cutscene later in this chapter where Ellen was in her standard daytime outfit instead of the costume I was using. I'm pretty sure that if I quit the game and switched costumes before watching the video, the Ellen in the video would be wearing the new costume.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

PlaceholderPigeon posted:

Hearing the Hellrealm denizen talk about changing clothes at the portal was pretty amusingly awkward. It's too bad Ellen wasn't in that leather outfit when he did it, because that would be more than fitting for him to hint at her having a change.

I wonder if his 30 different outfits and 'snazziest gear' is just different cowls and cloaks of the slightly different colour.

"Let's see... What to wear today? Dust Blown brown, Diner Sink Faucet Grime green, or maybe Tattered Tawny? Ooh! There's that Red Rust Rubbed robe I wore last time for Susan's party. Got a lot of good complements."

I really liked this episode. The hypnotherapy gave me a lot of good flashbacks to some of the horror movies I watched as a kid, as well as the implication that Ellen delves into her own subconsciousness each night is pretty interesting. Whatever Ellen had seen on Samhain was enough to rip a hole directly into hell(realm), oh God.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
That is all well and fine until you take Keets jumping off a cliff to get to the water realm and still having chapters after it.

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009

Major_JF posted:

That is all well and fine until you take Keets jumping off a cliff to get to the water realm and still having chapters after it.

Maybe he just imagined that part and was just only standing really close to the edge? :shrug: That would explain why the entrance of said water realm later on moved into a more reasonable location. Then again, we have Charlotte interacting with Halflives, unless we're going to rationalize those as mass hallucinations.

It's kind of fun speculating these alternate interpretations.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

It's time to be glad that I worked ahead and made a backlog - instead of the original plan for this week, I've spent the whole week at home with bronchitis, which naturally prevented me from doing any commentary, or really much of anything interesting. However, my foresight and planning mean that the update for this weekend was uploaded over a week ago, so here it is. I've got plans to start posting something in the 2007 thread as soon as I can feel confident in my ability to get through a commentary track without coughing too much, and then it's back to work on the quest videos. Meanwhile, Ellen gets to fight something a bit more substantial than a disease - or not, depending. I hate using a good Keats line to preview an Ellen video, but I'm sure Keats will have more good lines than these when we see his side of the chapter.

Ellen Chapter 5 - Combat First Half Youtube

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
You know, I know they tried to make things balanced with the dispute between Livane and the Faery Lord, but the Faery Lord comes off as such a gigantic prick that I'm firmly on Livane's side. Plus, at the moment it looks like the Faeries might be the cause of the bad things that happened in Doolin 17 years ago (although it's too early to tell for sure). What Keats says about the Faery Lord seems totally accurate. It's annoying me how Ellen seems to just passively accept what the Faery Lord tells her.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh great, the videotape had Hell inside it. Now we'll need to wrap this whole thing up in seven days.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Glazius posted:

Oh great, the videotape had Hell inside it. Now we'll need to wrap this whole thing up in seven days.

Not a problem - if I understand the lore correctly, all you need to do is convince someone else to watch the video before then. Of course, they'll have to watch through the rest of the LP first, so better get cracking.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
Do the boggarts remind anyone else of cockroaches? Because that's what I see. Bipedal cockroaches scuttling around Hellrealm.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Well, after two weeks of health problems and a couple of technical problems, things seem to be back on track for a normal video production schedule, so it's time to finish clearing the backlog. I was going to post this video last night, but posting a Hellrealm video on Friday the 13th just felt a bit TOO right. I didn't trust it. I had a bit of fun turning several hours of grinding into a brief montage, but to be fair to me, the guides on GameFAQs are just plain wrong. They both list the steps you need to take, but not in the correct order, or even AN order - they just list what the steps are and quite incorrectly tell you to clear the enemies out of each room as you go. If you run through the list enough times, you'll inevitably end up hitting all the steps in the right order, but I ended up finding a much more accurate description of the procedure elsewhere, and that's what I'll be describing in the video. You can even tell at exactly which point I looked it up. The worst part is that this Realm has the only part of the game where you're required to fight Folks each time you go through, even if you're just backtracking - you can't run in one end of the room and out the other. And the Folks you have to fight are scary-looking skeletons with scythes.

Don't worry. There's still grinding left for the grinding video. Just not much that has to be done in Hellrealm anymore.

Ellen Chapter 5 - Combat Second Half Youtube

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
I loving hated that elevator. I was anal about grinding out karmas, and so as soon as I got the first scythe folk, I rode the elevator back and forth between the two floors to grind it out...

Then I did the same for the second...

And for the third, too. :suicide:

I never actually got the secret folk, nor the cloak, for this chapter. I got so burnt out and pissed off by that elevator, that I just blew through to the folklore and ended the drat thing.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
You mention that you can only break the crystals in order; does that mean that you can mess up the order, or that you will only find them spawned when you have broken the previous ones?

Still seems like a crapshoot for finding them if you don't have a guide.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Captain Bravo posted:

I loving hated that elevator. I was anal about grinding out karmas, and so as soon as I got the first scythe folk, I rode the elevator back and forth between the two floors to grind it out...

Chapter 5 and the scythe Folks were where I decided I was never, ever going to grind all of the Karmas, because they just seemed so useless (high cost, nothing the Folks I already had couldn't do just as well) and were going to be such a pain to capture more of. I hadn't exactly been diligent about it before, but this chapter threw a bunch of new stuff at me at once.

PlaceholderPigeon posted:

You mention that you can only break the crystals in order; does that mean that you can mess up the order, or that you will only find them spawned when you have broken the previous ones?

Still seems like a crapshoot for finding them if you don't have a guide.

Each one only appears once you've broken the previous ones - if you look carefully, you'll notice that the one high up in the waterfall room didn't appear when I first entered that room, but it's impossible to miss when it's there. It is kind of a crap shoot if you don't know what to do when - like I said, I was searching for hours with the foreknowledge that there were six crystals to break, and a pretty good idea of which rooms they were in. I should actually check the bit about needing to talk to the resident on the top floor before the third crystal will appear, but everything else that guide said was completely accurate. As I'll be saying in the next video, I eventually found the Cloak of Twilight myself sheerly through going through the realm enough times that I ended up hitting all of the crystals eventually. I expect I got the first three in two passes, then the last three when I returned after getting the final Cloak and reasoned that the one I missed was somewhere in Hellrealm. I remember being a bit confused when the crystal was just sitting there and I had no idea why I'd never seen it before, but now I know. It's not the kind of thing you'll generally get much use out of unless you know how to get it the first time through, and fortunately, all of you who have watched the video now do!

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Nidoking posted:

"But you'll see what it looks like next time, in the quest video."
You goddamn tease :argh:

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Shei-kun posted:

You goddamn tease :argh:

Well, if you're going to be THAT way about it, maybe I won't upload the new video a few days early.

And what a video it is. We have a lot of questing to do in this chapter, and perhaps coincidentally, it starts big. Really big. We're going to be investigating some of the disappearances that have been mentioned but not entirely explained. It's a rather depressing episode, probably, but it's very significant to the overall story of Doolin, so I hope you'll all join me for it.

Aw, don't cry, Charlotte. I just don't think I could take it.

Ellen Chapter 5: Quests First Part Youtube

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Man, that is a really bad outfit.

DeliciousCookie
Mar 4, 2011
I am sort of torn on how I feel about that cloak. Up close its rather pretty, though skimpy. But zoomed out the whole bottom half looks WRONG. Pant like things and not even a skirt or whatever, but more weird side fringe things? It just looks strange the further zoomed out it is, which is a shame because up close it has a lot of nice detail to it, even if its really skimpy.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
It looks like she's wearing assless chaps from the back. hahahahahahahaha. it's terrible, really, really terrible.

marlinspike
Aug 7, 2010
a little late, but what was the music that was playing for the last half of the second combat video?

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
I'm a bit confused about Gam and Gee's fate. Did they actually disappear because they fulfilled their purpose? The other Halflives seem to suggest this, but then we have Ellen telling Charlotte that they're still around, but it's just that children can't interact with halflives once they've grown up and Game and Gee themselves say that they're not going anywhere, but they ask Ellen to take care of Charlotte. The only other alternative is that they still exist, but nobody (including other halflives and Messengers) can interact with them anymore, which seems a tad bit too cruel, even for Folklore.

Also, I find it a bit funny to see Charlotte refer to them as two separate people when she says "one of them", but it's obvious that they share the same body. I mean, how is one supposed to see only "one of them"? Do you just ignore the other head, or maybe Charlotte actually sees them differently and they appear to her as separate people?

And in the other quest, Lulu was apologizing for what happened in the main story, right? Because Lulu didn't heed Ellen in the waiting room of the Netherworld, Ellen thought she was still alive in the Henge somehow, that's what I figured.

DeliciousCookie
Mar 4, 2011
The way I understood it was Gam and Gee did indeed vanish. Ellen was simply trying to put it in a nice way that wouldn't upset Charlotte. Like how a child is told that someone is going far away to a place they can't see them instead of straight up saying they died.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

:stare:

I'm sorry I was angry. Please give Ellen some clothes again.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

marlinspike posted:

a little late, but what was the music that was playing for the last half of the second combat video?

I used three songs for the montage. The first is from this game - we've heard it twice, I think: Once during the quest Ellen did for Charlie in the first chapter, when he reveals that he can't actually play the saxophone because he doesn't have windpipes, and once in the fourth chapter when Frizzie revealed that her crush that Keats had assumed to be Jimmy was actually the deer head. It plays when funny things happen, and I thought my running around aimlessly and grinding a bunch of Karmas was pretty funny. Having made good use of my soundtrack purchase to fill about half of the time, I went back to my soundtrack collection and pulled my favorite tracks from a couple of PS1-era Squaresoft games - the "lost woods"-ish area theme from Brave Fencer Musashi, and the Forest Village theme from Dewprism a.k.a. Threads of Fate, just briefly at the end. They're both great games if you can find them and have a system that can still play them, since I don't know whether they're on PSN.

Making the video line up with the beginnings and ends of the tracks was only a little bit of extra editing work. I did a lot more than that for a ten-second or so gag coming up in a future video.

Daigerus posted:

I'm a bit confused about Gam and Gee's fate.

I'm pretty sure they completely ceased to exist, like DeliciousCookie said - their purpose had been fulfilled, and they no longer had a reason to be. Charlotte may be a bit too young to really understand death, as we've seen when Dr. Lester died, but Gam and Gee were never really alive to begin with, so their "death" may be even harder to cope with, especially since all she wanted was for them to be happy and get along. She probably wouldn't understand that they were happier not to exist, and it would be cruel to put it that way to the girl who called them into being, wouldn't it?

Daigerus posted:

Also, I find it a bit funny to see Charlotte refer to them as two separate people when she says "one of them", but it's obvious that they share the same body. I mean, how is one supposed to see only "one of them"? Do you just ignore the other head, or maybe Charlotte actually sees them differently and they appear to her as separate people?

They are, as far as I can tell, two individuals who share a body. No matter how much they may fight, unlike Charlotte's parents, they can never separate. I think that was part of their role in fulfilling her wish. I don't think she ever said that she couldn't see only one of them - she said that she couldn't see them, and didn't know which "one of them" had spoken last.

Daigerus posted:

And in the other quest, Lulu was apologizing for what happened in the main story, right? Because Lulu didn't heed Ellen in the waiting room of the Netherworld, Ellen thought she was still alive in the Henge somehow, that's what I figured.

Actually, I believe this is a reference to something that happens at the end of the chapter. I don't know why this quest is available before we've seen that, but I wasn't about to chop up the video and move this to the end.

Shei-kun posted:

I'm sorry I was angry. Please give Ellen some clothes again.

She'll be wearing this Cloak for the rest of the chapter, and the alternate look in the next chapter. I'll probably leave the alternate skin in place until I get the final Cloak, which is what I plan to wear for the remainder of the game because it's the best by far.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Nidoking posted:

She'll be wearing this Cloak for the rest of the chapter, and the alternate look in the next chapter. I'll probably leave the alternate skin in place until I get the final Cloak, which is what I plan to wear for the remainder of the game because it's the best by far.
Thanks. I've been digging the cloaks up until this one, because they had neat looks and were relatively modest (I really liked how they tied in to the realms they were in, too, like the Battlefield cloak looking like it was made from military uniforms). This one just makes me think of "generic fantasy sorceress" where the outfit is intended to simply look sexy/skanky instead of elegant/arcane, where I was hoping for "dark/demonic/fiery."

I mean, when combined with her current waking outfit, I'm worried that Ellen's hit a late rebellious phase and her only way to cope is to dress like... yeah.

On a less fashion related note, I really enjoyed the quest with Charlotte, Gam and Gee. It was very much bittersweet, as it was showing that Charlotte's growing up and becoming more mature, but at the same time she's losing some of her childlike innocence in the process. To me, the concept of "fulfilling my purpose and ceasing to exist" being a happy thing is difficult to grasp, because even if I fulfilled whatever purpose I was created for, I'd personally like to do more and keep enjoying life, but then again, I wasn't popped into existence by a child's earnest wish, either. Makes me feel kinda sad for the Halflives, and also wonder what wishes created them all.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Great news! At least, for all of you who aren't frantically trying to catch up on three days' worth of updates that are all getting posted at once in an attempt to fill Lowtax's remaining 2GB of database log space before he can find more. And if you don't think more updates are great news, why are you reading this thread at all? Yes, I've got all of the remaining videos for this chapter mastered and ready to be posted, and in fact, I'm currently uploading them all to Youtube and LPix so all I'll have to do is link them and write the usual update post when the time comes. The rest of the quests for this chapter aren't particularly interesting, for the most part, and I expect you all want to see the big climax at the end of the chapter, so I'm going to post two updates a week for the next two weeks while I record Keats' half of the chapter and start editing those videos. I'll probably repeat this schedule for future chapters if I finish the videos early, now that there's no longer voting to force me to stop between chapters.

If you are indeed too busy to watch yet another video, this one offers no real story implications, and the quests aren't particularly interesting either. The rewards are the only notable part of this video, and you'll see them in the Grinding video. Pictured here is the only good part, where a Coblynau somehow ends up on top of a wall. Yes, this frame is pretty much the best view of it that I had.

Ellen Chapter 5: Quests Second Part Youtube

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
This chapter just keeps on giving quest!

Based on the early chapters I thought that there just weren't that many quests until post game. Likely they just didn't trust Ellen until now.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I have a suspicion that there will be an increasing number of quest videos for each chapter from this point on, and the grinding videos may take longer as well. I did half of Ellen's grinding offscreen, mostly, and I won't have the same issue with Keats. If there's enough material to make two grinding videos for Keats, I have a plan for the second one. The grinding in the final chapter has the potential to be shorter because there are very few Folks right now with Karmas left to unlock, so it'll be just those few and whatever Karmas the endgame Folks need. The pace may be slowing down, but I'll try to keep on top of things so the entire LP moves quickly enough.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I suppose I should take the time out from working on the Keats side of the chapter to post this weekend's video. It's more quests, but this time, we're finishing a quest left unfinished from a previous chapter. That's the real draw this time around. There's another quest that's got some neat ideas in it, but no real story to speak of, so it's forgettable. Next week, it will be grinding followed by the end of the chapter.

Ellen Chapter 5: Quests Third Part Youtube

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

This is a few hours later than I'd have liked, but my Internet connection's been down for a few days and it appears to have recovered at last. If you see this post, that means it's working for the moment. We're almost done with the chapter - but the grinding I did while searching for the Cloak of Twilight wasn't enough. Major_JF joins me this time for a brief discussion of Hell and a significantly longer discussion of how useless Beithir is. As always, there's a lot of surprising stuff to learn and plenty of sped-up material, plus I discuss an easy way to get lots of Cold Tree Nuts fairly quickly. And if that's not enough, you get to see the Folks I collected during the quest videos but haven't had the chance to use yet.

The other one is terrible and will probably never be seen again in this LP.

Ellen Chapter 5: Grinding Youtube featuring Major_JF

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
The weapons for the Baolwinds/Bethiers look like large sickles, not scythes. The sickle was a traditional tool of druids, and seems to keep with the Gaelic theme.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

AltaBrown posted:

The weapons for the Baolwinds/Bethiers look like large sickles, not scythes. The sickle was a traditional tool of druids, and seems to keep with the Gaelic theme.

That makes more sense - I was just thinking of the more traditional image of Death that carries a scythe. Also, the descriptions of all three specifically refer to their weapons as scythes. I'll post the Bestiary some time after the Folklore video so you can see for yourself. Might be an artifact of translation, or someone not being able to tell the difference... who knows?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I do enjoy seeing Ellen at work, because status effects are more interesting than damage and even more damage. But Keats' visceral style is also nice to watch.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Glazius posted:

I do enjoy seeing Ellen at work, because status effects are more interesting than damage and even more damage. But Keats' visceral style is also nice to watch.

I've been watching my mom play, and while she doesn't tend to use the status effects much, once she's got one equipped, she'll throw it at everything. I've learned that Killmoulis (and presumably Thrumpin as well) is vulnerable to Charm, and Alraune (and possibly Answerer, but I'd have to try that) is weak to Bond. That would have been great to know while I was still fighting them.

Keats has more diverse and more useful attack options, I think, which can make him interesting to watch in the right player's hands. He doesn't really have a single best Folk for each element like Ellen tends to. I try to vary things as much as I can, but how well I do it is up to you.

I'm planning to post the final update for Ellen's Chapter 5 tomorrow morning - go watch fireworks if appropriate tonight, because after tomorrow, you may not feel much like celebrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

As promised, here it is: The end of Ellen's storyline. Ellen's spent the entire game searching for her past, and to an extent, the past of Doolin, which she's recently learned are one and the same through her identity as Cecilia. Everyone's been asking her whether she's ready to learn the truth, and Herve even told her flat out not to search for it, but she's come this far and must now fight the Folklore of Hellrealm for the right to know. The answers are here, and it's quite likely the most emotional experience the game has to offer; the first time I saw this, I felt pretty sure that we'd messed up by not leaving it for last. (We didn't.) Almost everything about this video disturbs me to the core, and the toughest boss fight yet is a nice reprieve from it. If you're ready, dive in...

Ellen Chapter 5: Folklore Youtube

As stated in the OP and the video, there's no voting this time - up next is Keats Chapter 5 to finish the individual storylines, and after that, the endgame.

• Locked thread