Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
In Episode 643, when Doflamingo talks about Fujitora's Ryokugyu, what does he mean by that? Google gives me nothing.\

[e]: Wait, is that Fujitora's nickname? Like, from before he was Admiral?

[e2]: Derp, forgot that was the third unseen Admiral. :downs: Never mind!

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 22:49 on May 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master

Genocyber posted:

It's also dumb because in terms of infamy Luffy beats Jinbe any day. That's the reason Garp didn't mind Luffy being Dragon's son being revealed since he had already become infamous enough to be considered a huge threat by the World Government.

I wouldn't be so sure, Luffy has made a name for himself but is still considered a rookie. Jinbei was one of the most infamous fishman pirates in the entire world at a time when anti-fishman propaganda was at its most hysterical. I wouldn't be surprised at all if his pre-warlord bounty was higher than Luffy's is currently and it's probably been reinstated since the war.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

Drakkel posted:

Back at Fishman Island he said he had to tie up some loose ends before he'd accept the invite, and the manga had a cover arc where he was seen entering the New World by himself. The last we saw of him in the manga was when he was shown reading the news about Law and Luffy's alliance.

The popular fan theory so far is that he's not gonna join yet cause his bounty is higher than Luffy's, I don't exactly think it holds water since it's a running theme in the series that people think bounties are more telling than they actually are.

Just a reminder that there's a couple people who are anime only. I don't care about minor spoilers at all, but some cool stuff has been spoiled before (Shanks showing up, for example).

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

TheRamblingSoul posted:

In Episode 643, when Doflamingo talks about Fujitora's Ryokugyu, what does he mean by that? Google gives me nothing.\

[e]: Wait, is that Fujitora's nickname? Like, from before he was Admiral?

[e2]: Derp, forgot that was the third unseen Admiral. :downs: Never mind!

Yeah, Ryokugyu is the other new Admiral who hasn't been seen yet. Fujitora means "Purple Tiger", and Ryokugyu is "Green Bull", to fit in with the naming scheme for the other Admirals.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Shadow0 posted:

Judging from the lack of images with Jimbei featured as a crewmember, is it safe to say the manga hasn't gotten far enough for him to have to decide to join or not?

The manga hasnt even left Dressrosa.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Crazyeyes posted:

A shame, too. On one hand, Franky is far more... "Straw-hattish". Paulie isn't eccentric enough to really jive with the crew.

He was a defaulter and absurdly conservative towards women, those looked like eccentric enough traits for a strawhat to me, the latter would have played well with Sanji's shtick.
That and his original fighting style using ropes was what made him a successful red herring to me.

Fuckshoes
Jul 11, 2001

sup ladies

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Pretty much sums it up.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

Parrotine posted:

Now we're practically in uncharted waters; Oda could draw an Iguana in a tutu and we'd buy it so long as the backstory is solid enough.

Hey, don't talk about Ivankov like that.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Crazyeyes posted:

2. He can throw the punch one an hour so... he punches again?

He needed constant guards so he could charge up (why doesn't he just charge in between rounds?), he wouldn't have guards in the second round. In fact, far too many people relied on teamwork. It only gets you to round 2 maybe. Like what's Jacket-Jacket's plan for round 2? He's going to have to knock his brother out of the ring even provided he could win round 1. I guess it's just silly to me how many people are entering the tournament that have literally zero chance to win.

But at least they're good Ussy fodder.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Shadow0 posted:

it's just silly to me how many people are entering the tournament that have literally zero chance to win

Just like in real life :haw:

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Shadow0 posted:

He needed constant guards so he could charge up (why doesn't he just charge in between rounds?), he wouldn't have guards in the second round. In fact, far too many people relied on teamwork. It only gets you to round 2 maybe. Like what's Jacket-Jacket's plan for round 2? He's going to have to knock his brother out of the ring even provided he could win round 1. I guess it's just silly to me how many people are entering the tournament that have literally zero chance to win.

But at least they're good Ussy fodder.

I don't get why they weren't combined to begin with.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Who is Ussy?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Senor Candle posted:

Who is Ussy?

Brutal Bull.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
I've written an explanation and then realized someone probably already did, so here you go, courtesy of the One Piece wiki:

quote:

Luffy's nickname for Fighting Bull, Ucy, is a pun based on his own gladiator name Lucy (ルーシー Rūshī?), and the Japanese word for bull (牛 Ushi?). The syllables "U" and "shi" are stretched out to match the pronunciation of Lucy ("si" and "shi" are written and pronounced the same in Japanese).

Basically, transcribing it as Ussy doesn't work because the connection between Luffy's and the bull's name is lost (assuming they did transcribed Luffy's alias as Lucy, that is). It's no big deal but any translator worth his salt should realize it's there.

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 11:04 on May 30, 2014

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I still think Moocy is the best English equivalent.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
Yeah, that's pretty great. Definitely works better than Ucy for preserving the pun.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
That makes sense thanks! That reminds me of one of the movies I watched fansubbed where one the joke of one of the characters is that he kept saying the wrong words for things. The problem being is they translated the words to what they mean in English with no attempt to make the joke work and instead put some text up basically saying "There is a joke here"

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
SNIPER KING...eah I dunno i miss sniper island.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
It took me a year and 3 months but I watched every episode of One Piece and now am fully up to date. Guess I should read the manga now. Good smell! Frrrravour!

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Brasseye posted:

It took me a year and 3 months but I watched every episode of One Piece and now am fully up to date. Guess I should read the manga now. Good smell! Frrrravour!

This was a year and 3 months only stopping to eat and defecate. Except a few times when still watching more episodes while doing these things. I'm proud of you. I can never get anyone I know to start the show because it's so long, it's really frustrating. I tell them it'll be the best three years of their lives catching up.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Shadow0 posted:

This was a year and 3 months only stopping to eat and defecate. Except a few times when still watching more episodes while doing these things. I'm proud of you. I can never get anyone I know to start the show because it's so long, it's really frustrating. I tell them it'll be the best three years of their lives catching up.

Only took me about 5 months :smug:

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
I'm sure your social life thanks you :haw:

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Not sure why so many folks won't start a show (of any kind) which is long and highly recommend. It's all there for you to watch when ever you want! You can skip poo poo if you dont like it, you can see which episodes are fillers and which are just awesome. No waiting, no trying to remember what ep you are up to.

I watch OP about once a month because it's a bit slow to be honest. I'm watching Game of Thrones right now, I've got all of season four :D.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Suspicious Lump posted:

it's a bit slow
Understatement of the century. They're currently stretching about 3/4 of an 18 page chapter into 20 minutes, using as many animation shortcuts as possible.

It's a shame that they're doing this at the Dress Rosa arc, because it really is one of the better arcs of One Piece so far and people who watch the anime won't get the full experience.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

Shadow0 posted:

Haha thanks :) yeah Im having the same problem, Ive convinced about 4 other people to watch it but especially to people that don't watch anime a 600+ episode adventure series about pirates is difficult to sell.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

The opening plus recap from the last episode literally got to almost the halfway point. That's loving offensive.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I just shotgunned 3 months worth of the anime in one go and it actually became good again, the pacing seems a lot better when you watch 3 1/2 hours at once instead of 15-18 minutes. Now to not watch any more for another 3 months :negative:

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I adore the anime's voice acting and music but the rough animation and ungodly slow pacing makes it a chore to watch sometimes. I haven't followed it much since Punk Hazard. I gotta go back and watch some of the highlights one day.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I just watched the dub of Strong World for the first time, and I remembered that the scene where the Strawhats saunter in to Shiki's yakuza den and unload enough bullets into his men to make John Woo blush is one of my favourite One Piece moments.

A lot of little things that reminds me why I like Fund's dub, such as Luffy saying he'll "break, [Shiki] in half" :allears:

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Truly an awe-inspiring episode this week. Wherein ABSOLUTELY NOTHING HAPPENS

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
For a Rebecca flashback, I enjoyed this week's episode much more than the manga chapter.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It bothers me that 95% of Rebecca's armor (and clothes) are her boots. And then on top of that, she tossed away her shield. Why Oda? Why? At least she has a helmet.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Shadow0 posted:

It bothers me that 95% of Rebecca's armor (and clothes) are her boots. And then on top of that, she tossed away her shield. Why Oda? Why? At least she has a helmet.

He knows his priorities. :pervert:

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Crazyeyes posted:

Truly an awe-inspiring episode this week. Wherein ABSOLUTELY NOTHING HAPPENS

Yeah, basically. I fast-forwarded through the flashback because Rebecca's backstory is cliché as gently caress, which somehow accounted for the whole episode :(

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
If you guys have a Wii U or a PS3 you should check out the One Piece game that just came out this past week. I'm about ten hours into it and I've been having a pretty good time.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Here's a thing I posted in the manga thread related to that video game, it's entertaining and fairly informative(both about the game and what non-anime-fans view it as)

quote:

Two people who have absolutely no clue whatsoever about anything One Piece(or anime really) do a quick look of a recent One Piece game. Their reactions to various characters is preeeeeetty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7i7Nfw-cIo&hd=1

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

I really wish the pacing of the anime was better in general, but in the past couple of weeks it seems like they're at least padding the episodes out with weird anime-exclusive poo poo instead of just stretching things out with extended animation loops and flashbacks. In the past couple of episodes Jora turned into a giant art monster instead of getting one-shot by Brook and Cavendish fought another handsome dude with a golden spear, it's at least a more interesting watch for someone who's read the manga.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Non manga here and it's really boring. The only exciting bit was Joker reveal. We knew the celestial dragons were cunts but this is a new low for them, pulling favors for one of their own? drat. Also the explanation for the celestial dragons was something I haven't heard before. Still it was about time we met a dragon that wasn't a turd in a bubble. I'm waiting for a good dragon to appear now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
This is pure speculation on my part, but maybe Monkey D Dragon? :v: