Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
When it actually does come out I'm still not going to click on any of your deceitful, knavish links.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Moridin920 posted:

what stops you from just doing overlapping embarks, the last column of the first embark is the first column of the next and so on. I think you can get it perfectly lined up like that. Otherwise in the latest version I'm pretty sure only paved roads can be built right up to the map edge.

What you should do instead of a long wall or road is a really long rollercoaster thing out of minecart track and then ride it in adventure mode.

IIRC embarking turns the area into a site, and in vanilla you can't have any areas of a new embark overlapping with existing sites. Should be no problem if you use an 'embark anywhere' hack, though.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I think the joke is starting to wear out its welcome, guys.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Baloogan posted:

When it actually does come out I'm still not going to click on any of your deceitful, knavish links.

My angle, it's working.

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I think the joke is starting to wear out its welcome, guys.
It'll stop being funny exactly one week after the actual release, when everyone realizes a week's worth of posts saying "new release is out" were genuine. At that precise point in time, it will cease being funny and will become deathly hilarious as this thread implodes.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
The funniest thing will be the maddening, insane bugs that invariably crop up the first week. All I have to say is "iron thrones."

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The funniest thing will be the maddening, insane bugs that invariably crop up the first week. All I have to say is "iron thrones."

Pfft, that wasn't even a real bug! I remember when Toady made friendly traders activate traps. That was a fun time, as everyone's layers of steel disks mulched the next band of humans to wander through. Much better than the 'dwarves sleep forever' bug, which made it completely unplayable.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Bad Munki posted:

It'll stop being funny exactly one week after the actual release, when everyone realizes a week's worth of posts saying "new release is out" were genuine. At that precise point in time, it will cease being funny and will become deathly hilarious as this thread implodes.

...no? It was never funny. It's rickrolling.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Dwarves started vomiting blood all over my great hall and I got at least 10 "cancels drink, resting injury."

Turns out when you gather a bunch of plants in the caverns your dwarves will happily brew it up even if it's poison and then rush to try out the new drink.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Met posted:

...no? It was never funny. It's rickrolling.

Don't bring the dulcet tones of Rick Astley into this. Also don't get mad about fakelinks.

But when it comes to archers I've done the training dance enough times that now I just jack up the starting dwarves and buy shootin' skills for the extras. I figure it's not entirely cheating because I don't use them for making food or shelter.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

What determines what kind of animals you can embark with, in Masterwork? As Warlocks for example I'm limited to Animated weapons and prisoners, no livestock at all. Sometimes I can't bring cats or dogs as Dwarves, etc.

Speaking of Warlocks, are desirable embarks the same as for Dwarves? Does embarking on Evil biomes give any advantage (rather than !FUN!)?
Does embarking next to other civs increase the chance of sieges?
Also, how do you use Black Monoliths? Just pasture them near corpses you want raised?

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

canepazzo posted:

Sometimes I can't bring cats or dogs as Dwarves, etc.

Yeah this has been confusing for me with my switch from vanilla to masterwork. I used to use a cat to control vermin, but now rats are running amok in my seed-storage and I'm not sure when the next cat caravan will come along...

Outcast Spy
May 7, 2007

How could you be both?

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Yeah this has been confusing for me with my switch from vanilla to masterwork. I used to use a cat to control vermin, but now rats are running amok in my seed-storage and I'm not sure when the next cat caravan will come along...

Dwarves can use moleweasels and frill lizards (I believe) to control vermin in masterwork.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
Masterwork doesn't have regular dogs/cats/cows etc by default (not sure if you can turn them back on), it has various made-up creatures instead.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

In other news, DF2014 dfhack r5 got released.

Changelog:

quote:

DFHack v0.34.11-r5 changelog
Internals:
- support for calling a lua function via a protobuf request (demonstrated by dfhack-run --lua).
- support for basic filesystem operations (e.g. chdir, mkdir, rmdir, stat) in C++ and Lua
- Lua API for listing files in directory. Needed for mod-manager.
- Lua API for creating unit combat reports and writing to gamelog.
- Lua API for running arbitrary DFHack commands
- support for multiple raw/init.d/*.lua init scripts in one save.
- eventful now has a more friendly way of making custom sidebars
- on Linux and OSX the console now supports moving the cursor back and forward by a whole word.

New scripts:
- gui/mod-manager: allows installing/uninstalling mods into df from df/mods directory.
- gui/clone-uniform: duplicates the currently selected uniform in the military screen.
- fix/build-location: partial work-around for bug 5991 (trying to build wall while standing on it)
- undump-buildings: removes dump designation from materials used in buildings.
- exportlegends: exports data from legends mode, allowing a set-and-forget export of large worlds.
- log-region: each time a fort is loaded identifying information will be written to the gamelog.
- dfstatus: show an overview of critical stock quantities, including food, drinks, wood, and bars.

New commands:
- 'plant create' - spawn a new shrub under the cursor
- command-prompt: a dfhack command prompt in df.

New tweaks:
- craft-age-wear: make crafted items wear out with time like in old versions (bug 6003)
- adamantine-cloth-wear: stop adamantine clothing from wearing out (bug 6481)
- confirm-embark: adds a prompt before embarking (on the "prepare carefully" screen)

New plugins:
- rendermax: replace the renderer with something else. Most interesting is "rendermax light"- a lighting engine for df.
- stockflow (by eswald): queues manager jobs of the configured type based on the state of a stockpile.
- embark-tools: implementations of Embark Anywhere, Nano Embark, and a few other embark-related utilities
- building-hacks: Allows to add custom functionality and/or animations to buildings.
- petcapRemover: triggers pregnancies in creatures so that you can effectively raise the default pet population cap from the default 50

Misc improvements:
- plant: move the 'grow', 'extirpate' and 'immolate' commands as 'plant' subcommands
- digfort: improved csv parsing, add start() comment handling
- exterminate: allow specifying a caste (exterminate gob:male)
- createitem: in adventure mode it now defaults to the controlled unit as maker.
- autotrade: adds "(Un)mark All" options to both panes of trade screen.
- mousequery: several usability improvements.
- mousequery: show live overlay (in menu area) of what's on the tile under the mouse cursor.
- search: workshop profile search added.
- dwarfmonitor: add screen to summarise preferences of fortress dwarfs.
- getplants: add autochop function to automate woodcutting.
- stocks: added more filtering and display options.

Siege engine plugin:
- engine quality and distance to target now affect accuracy
- firing the siege engine at a target produces a combat report
- improved movement speed computation for meandering units
- operators in Prepare To Fire mode are released from duty once
hungry/thirsty if there is a free replacement

Dfstatus looks like this:

canepazzo fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jun 20, 2014

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Hooray, now to wait for mifiki's masterpiece renderonator.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

In my gnome fortress I just got the message, "Grugod Farstgrumssa, Child has been found dead, dehydrated" which I found odd since I have rivers and a well and so forth. So I go check it out, and find the kid's body on top of my wooden palisade. There are no ramps or stairs that would let someone get up there. My best guess is that when his mother gave birth, she was standing near the wall and just shot him out of her vagina with enough force to throw him up on top, and then couldn't get him down so just shrugged and went on with her hauling.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Maybe a bird stole him and then dropped him?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

DFHack v0.34.11-r5 changelog
- fix/build-location: partial work-around for bug 5991 (trying to build wall while standing on it)

- adamantine-cloth-wear: stop adamantine clothing from wearing out (bug 6481)

- firing the siege engine at a target produces a combat report

I really like those.

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Gilok posted:

In my gnome fortress I just got the message, "Grugod Farstgrumssa, Child has been found dead, dehydrated" which I found odd since I have rivers and a well and so forth. So I go check it out, and find the kid's body on top of my wooden palisade. There are no ramps or stairs that would let someone get up there. My best guess is that when his mother gave birth, she was standing near the wall and just shot him out of her vagina with enough force to throw him up on top, and then couldn't get him down so just shrugged and went on with her hauling.

That would be an unbearably sad tale.

I always end up with livestock birds trapped up on my walls. Also more recently, a cat which had a litter of kittens. Maybe it has something to do with pathing, since the bird pasture was sorta full at the time and the cat was atop a post between two heavily-used doors at the fort entrance?

Any case, gnome mothers must be equally as terrible as dwarf mothers (whom we all know about).

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

canepazzo posted:

In other news, DF2014 dfhack r5 got released.

Changelog:

Dfstatus looks like this:

My dick hasn't been this hard since I played Bulletstorm 20 minutes ago. Cloning uniforms, I'm going to do that just for the sheer convenience of it because I've never yet mastered getting Dorfs to wear what I want them to. I'll just toss a load of raw materials into lava or something and pretend it's a reward from Armok for my sacrifice.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Didn't you use to be able to see what biomes where in the place you are embarking? I want to make a kickass greenhouse, but it seems there is no way to make sure there is actually sand where I embark. Will a deeper soil help more?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Of course. Pressing the F-keys will cycle through all the different biomes that land under the site selection cursor.

When in doubt, try deserts.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

scamtank posted:

Of course. Pressing the F-keys will cycle through all the different biomes that land under the site selection cursor.

When in doubt, try deserts.

Oh thanks! I was just stupid and my current embark spot I had selected only had one biome!

I seem to be getting conflicting info, does cooking plump helmets give me seeds or not? I haven't played in like 2 years, but I though that I should cook them and that that gave me seeds instead of my dorfs eating them straight up, but my seeds seemed to be dwindling.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Cooking specifically destroys the seeds. Brewing and chomping them raw retains them, however.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Is there anything I should be thinking about when I decide how deep to build? I've usually been doing farm one level under the ground and then having stairs down like 10-15 levels and then making workshops on one side and dining rooms/beds on the other side.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Sistergodiva posted:

Is there anything I should be thinking about when I decide how deep to build? I've usually been doing farm one level under the ground and then having stairs down like 10-15 levels and then making workshops on one side and dining rooms/beds on the other side.

Nope, nothing really.

Also, guys, I really want to play DF but I really want to wait for the next update... arghhhhhhhhhhh

Malcolm
May 11, 2008
I really want to play as well, but I'll wait for the new version.

Sistergodiva posted:

I like to dig greedily and deep (but not too deep) so my farms and bedrooms end up really close to the lava sea. 140 z-levels down? No problem, easy access to magma. 2-3 dwarves on lumber duty, the rest become cave-adapted mole-people, and the caravan can just deal with a really long spiral ramp. If you don't want your dwarves vomiting in direct sunlight you can rotate them out and have them go to the surface once in a while, but why? Trantor the mega-city is underground.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Thanks!

I just had a dwarf make a legendary grate made from moose-bone decorated with moose bone. This game is so weird.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

scamtank posted:

Hooray, now to wait for mifiki's masterpiece renderonator.

Mfiki really cracked the loving Enigma code there - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139579.0

meph posted:

Mifkis amazing plugin allows unlimited tiles to be used for DF. No longer limited to 256, modders can now give each individual item its own tile. With this I made a set of 4 tilesets. One for graphics, plants, grasses, inorganics, buildings. A Second for text. A Third for weapons and ammo. A Fourth for armors, shields, pants, shoes, gloves, helms.

canepazzo fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jun 21, 2014

Carsius
May 7, 2013

I hate how all of these amazing new discoveries will be useless in a few months weeks, with the new version.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

It may have been answered before but I was having a problem where the dwarves keep trying to pick up ammo but couldn't pick it up. They just kept going back and forth trying to put it in a stockpile. I run masterwork so I don't know.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

canepazzo posted:

Mfiki really cracked the loving Enigma code there - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139579.0

That's seriously awesome and actually enough to make me want to play again.

Would I be better off waiting for the new version?

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

Jack the Lad posted:

That's seriously awesome and actually enough to make me want to play again.

Would I be better off waiting for the new version?

Not only the new version but also for all the hacks and tools to be updated for it.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

GreyPowerVan posted:

Also, guys, I really want to play DF but I really want to wait for the next update... arghhhhhhhhhhh

Well I guess today is your lucky day then, isn't it!

:v:

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Bad Munki posted:

Well I guess today is your lucky day then, isn't it!

:v:

"And so you see, your honor, he had to be stopped."

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

There's only one way to stop me, and that power lies with Tarn Adams.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Of course, it all makes sense now.

We must kill Tarn Adams.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Babe Magnet posted:

Of course, it all makes sense now.

We must kill Tarn Adams.

You fool! That's what he WANTS us to do!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

There can be only one more release before he dies of a heart condition induced by his strict diet of coca cola and ramen!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

Bad Munki posted:

There's only one way to stop me, and that power lies with Tarn Adams.

Bad Munki Cancels Troll: Thermonuclear Catsplosion (Strangely limited only to Bad Munki's copies of DF, forever.)