Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

swickles posted:

Wait, how hasn't MV banned you yet?

I think you have me confused with someone else, since I have no clue what you're talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Blitz7x posted:

The Washington Oilers

Fits with our foreign policy.

I think someone already suggested Washington Whigs but it's good. I has alliteration, both current parties can lay claim to its history if they care, and you can get mascots in the old white wigs and such.

got any sevens fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jun 20, 2014

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Luceo posted:

I think you have me confused with someone else, since I have no clue what you're talking about.

I'm pretty sure that thinking wearing a fedora while performing in marching band is cool is a bannable offence.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
e: whoopsie

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

shiksa posted:

I'm pretty sure that thinking wearing a fedora while performing in marching band is cool is a bannable offence.

Marching band alone is enough to get on MV's bad side...

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

shiksa posted:

It was 20 years ago :(

ebg
Mar 31, 2008

Blitz7x posted:

The Washington Oilers

Them's fightin' words.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Washington Tomahawks.

Tomahawks has a nice sharp snap and still retains all the Indian connections.

E:

[img]http://i.imgur.com/tfkqdo2.png][/img]

Darth Brooks fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jun 20, 2014

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Luceo posted:

It was 20 years ago :(

So your current fedoras are more fashionable?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Darth Brooks posted:

Washington Tomahawks.

Tomahawks has a nice sharp snap and still retains all the Indian connections.

Could get Raytheon on as a sponsor there too I bet.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Breaky posted:

Could get Raytheon on as a sponsor there too I bet.

Could also do the Washington Apaches and just have all kinds of war machines as their mascots. Washing War Machines works too, get some Marvel tie ins.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

How come the army doesn't get sued for naming all their helicopters after Indian tribes?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Komet posted:

How come the army doesn't get sued for naming all their helicopters after Indian tribes?

The Army doesn't name anything, Boeing makes the Apache and the Tomahawk (which isn't named after a tribe but weapon used by some Native American tribes) is made by Raytheon.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Komet posted:

Who has gotten sued for naming a team after a tribe? I'm not familiar with the 'Redskins' tribe.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Komet posted:

Because it's :black101: as gently caress

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton

Mrit posted:

Who has gotten sued for naming a team after a tribe? I'm not familiar with the 'Redskins' tribe.

Did anyone read the Mornings Star institutes testimony that brought this back up? They are against all Indian stereotypes, it's not about tribes it's about the fact that they do not want to be a mascot.

http://www.indian.senate.gov/sites/default/files/upload/files/Suzan-Harjo-testimony.pdf

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

Made the mistake of looking at a couple reddit threads on the redskins sub. It's so bad over there there's posters openly praising Dan Snyder as a great owner for not backing down.

Jesus christ.

e:

quote:

Man I love Dan Snyder and his willingness to fight through all this crap more and more everyday. A name change will not happen under his ownership, period.

quote:

Dan has been nothing but a stellar owner for the past several years. He realized he needed to step back and hand the team over to professionals and he did so. I hold no grudge and look forward to the future.
apparently not actively loving with things for a couple years makes you a great owner.

shiksa fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jun 20, 2014

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

Parlett316 posted:

Did anyone read the Mornings Star institutes testimony that brought this back up? They are against all Indian stereotypes, it's not about tribes it's about the fact that they do not want to be a mascot.

http://www.indian.senate.gov/sites/default/files/upload/files/Suzan-Harjo-testimony.pdf

My gut feeling is that it will probably be a more uphill battle in cases where the name isn't an outright slur.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

shiksa posted:

Made the mistake of looking at...reddit

I think I find your problem.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Parlett316 posted:

That's a lot more controversial than just open and shut "Redskin" though even among native american communities. I doubt you'll see the Chiefs name getting changed in your lifetime.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton

Volkerball posted:

That's a lot more controversial than just open and shut "Redskin" though even among native american communities. I doubt you'll see the Chiefs name getting changed in your lifetime.

They will all go once the Redskin name falls because they will have more and more public support.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

shiksa posted:

Made the mistake of looking at a couple reddit threads

And now all your bad posts make sense.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The Chiefs are named after an old mayor who was real popular. Hunt actually wanted to keep the Texans name which would have been funny.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

swickles posted:

The Army doesn't name anything, Boeing makes the Apache and the Tomahawk (which isn't named after a tribe but weapon used by some Native American tribes) is made by Raytheon.

They do name them. The Army names all its helicopters after Native American tribes and chiefs, according to Army Regulation 70-28. Assigning "popular names" is part of the acquisition process.

That's how we have Blackhawks, Chinooks, Apaches, Iroquois, Cayuses, Kiowas, and Lakotas. Generally speaking, it keeps going because it is definitely a tribute. Its my understanding that the Apache are proud that there's a badass helicopter named after them.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Niwrad posted:

The Chiefs are named after an old mayor who was real popular. Hunt actually wanted to keep the Texans name which would have been funny.

Chiefs is funny to me because Chief is something you call someone when you can't remember their name.

It's like naming your team the Kansas City Buddies

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I would also be proud of having my history of genocide being stapled to the military's cutting edge of nation building.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Alouicious posted:

It's like naming your team the Kansas City Buddies

Now there's a team name

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Doppelganger posted:

Isn't part of the resistance because Washington fans want their rivalry with the Cowboys to "match" the team names?

Washington Marshals.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Niwrad posted:

Also the word Chief doesn't have poo poo to do with Native Americans unless the team specifically starts attaching Native imagery to it, which they have done. Chief can just as easily be a Celtic, Germanic, or West African leader. That is one reason most of us on TFF don't find it offensive and people who compare it to the motherfuckingRedskinsareyoufuckingkiddingme are being disingenuous.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Eifert Posting posted:

Washington Marshals.

That would be legitimately good but of course would involve a complete overhaul of the color scheme.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

That would be legitimately good but of course would involve a complete overhaul of the color scheme.

The Detroit Lions: Hawaiian blue and Silver.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Chichevache posted:

Also the word Chief doesn't have poo poo to do with Native Americans unless the team specifically starts attaching Native imagery to it, which they have done. Chief can just as easily be a Celtic, Germanic, or West African leader. That is one reason most of us on TFF don't find it offensive and people who compare it to the motherfuckingRedskinsareyoufuckingkiddingme are being disingenuous.

It's not up to you to decide what is or is not offensive to a group of people.

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice

Parlett316 posted:

It's not up to you to decide what is or is not offensive to a group of people.

This is true, but have the Chiefs experienced any of the flack the Skins have?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Edit*

FizFashizzle fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Jun 20, 2014

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
There was some stuff the Chiefs used to do forever ago that they backed off on, Warpaint (the horse Eric Berry is terrified of) only came back a few years ago. Back in the 70s it was ridden by a dude (named Bob Johnson) dressed up in full stereotypical indian gear complete with a huge headdress. These days it's just a cheerleader riding a horse. Things have improved a little since:

Given the history of how far they've gone with the whole imagery thing I wouldn't blame someone for being offended and they have taken some flack for that, but these days it's down to an arrowhead and a girl on a horse for the most part. Like I said earlier if they change it I'm fine with that, but I'm also pretty secure in laughing at Redskins fans for comparing the two.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nfl/2014/06/18/amanda-blackhorse-washington-nfl/10830269/

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2013/03/08/one-of-the-plaintiffs-explains-claim-against-redskins-trademark/

I'm not comparing the two, the people who are offended are.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Chris Cooley, you used to be a lovable goof, now you're just an ignorant Dan Snyder talking head

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...g-the-chargers/

yes, the chargers, well done sir, you have bested all of the arguments, why didn't we think of that before.

-- Just kinda goes to show that the team and the players don't actually talk to real Native Americans, so anything talking about "pride" is just bullshit.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Grittybeard posted:

There was some stuff the Chiefs used to do forever ago that they backed off on, Warpaint (the horse Eric Berry is terrified of) only came back a few years ago. Back in the 70s it was ridden by a dude (named Bob Johnson) dressed up in full stereotypical indian gear complete with a huge headdress. These days it's just a cheerleader riding a horse. Things have improved a little since:

Given the history of how far they've gone with the whole imagery thing I wouldn't blame someone for being offended and they have taken some flack for that, but these days it's down to an arrowhead and a girl on a horse for the most part. Like I said earlier if they change it I'm fine with that, but I'm also pretty secure in laughing at Redskins fans for comparing the two.

c'mon bro, Kansas City Buddies.

eh? EH?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

I didn't say it there, but yeah the fans have taken off with the whole deal and it's probably gone too far. It's just advantageous enough to not be named an actual for real flat out slur that I'll laugh at you until you change your name first.

• Locked thread