Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

It's Giant Subterranean Insect's boss!

I dunno, the claw-like wisps of hair and the zipper-like ear things are not giving me a parental vibe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Pretty sure those are just piercings. Max's mom has been pretty consistently shown as kinda punk.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Whitenoise Poster posted:

Pretty sure those are just piercings. Max's mom has been pretty consistently shown as kinda punk.

Have we actually seen her outside of the comic? I don't really follow everything Zach does everywhere, so I might have missed it. Off the top of my head the only instance of her in-story is Chapter 1 Page 7 back when everything was still black-and-white. Her hair looks fairly long, enough for a bun, and presumably her hair was roughly the shame shade as Zoey (since Max seems to take after their dad) but she doesn't seem to have any piercings in her left ear.

Granted that was a long loving time ago, and I'm not exactly going to fault Zach for not being that thorough with minor hints.

Comedy option: He's actually seeing Agent Day who is actually his mother who didn't die but was just crippled and ran away from her family.

Prawn Salad
Dec 7, 2010

I-I still think you're cool,
Onii-chan...
You also have to consider that she was crazy enough to procreate with Max's dad.

TWICE.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Prawn Salad posted:

You also have to consider that she was crazy enough to procreate with Max's dad.

TWICE.
Wouldn't you say that qualifies as Something Cool?

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Prawn Salad posted:

TWICE.

Okay, I was kidding, but I can actually see Mr. Puckett being insane enough to inspire someone to fake their own death and flee for the hills.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Have we actually seen her outside of the comic?

There are three drawings of her outside the comic that I know of. Found two of them.

The missing one shows Max's mom being bad at holding babies is pretty funny.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Reminder, 2 and 7 up there married each other

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
And reproduced. Twice.

I remember thinking when I first saw Mom's leather jacket and piercings, "This explains so much about Max and his family."

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Keromaru5 posted:

I remember thinking when I first saw Mom's leather jacket and piercings, "This explains so much about Max and his family."

It really does.

Just going off of character design Max's mom seems like a pretty cool mom. Shame about the whole death thing.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Maybe her death was a cool thing though. Maybe there was a motorcycle involved. Or a top hat.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Also her haircut is pretty much identical to Dad's, albeit we've never seen it in a ponytail.

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012
Here's the holding a baby one
https://twitter.com/paranaturalzack/status/403339783423787008/photo/1

Also a fanart of her trying to lullaby Max to sleep but she ends up singing hard rock instead
http://temporaltyphoon.tumblr.com/post/68540791667

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing
Punk's Not Dead.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Male Man posted:

Punk's Not Dead.
But She Might Be A Ghost.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

I'm really looking forward to the meeting of Max's mom. What little info we got of her gives her the potential to be a really fun character(who am I kidding all of Zack's characters are fun).

I really want Max's dad and sister to become spectrals so they can all hang out with ghost mom.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I just want every character to become a spectral. Except maybe Suzie, if only because of the potential hilarity of every character knowing what's up with the Activity Club except for her.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Paramemetic posted:

Maybe her death was a cool thing though. Maybe there was a motorcycle involved. Or a top hat.

I don't think that's too far off. PJ did ask Max if it was a grisly type of death and he did hesitate to answer it.

PJ was a bit of a dick for that one.

edit: Suzie will just end up burning everybody's house down.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I just realized, it'd be really sad if Ghost Mom really did come back, and either Dad or Zoe became spectrals and so were able to see her but not both of them, so that there'd be one member of the family who'd never be able to see her and then two who'd have to live with knowing that.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
So Max's scrap-related powers probably aren't a coincidence.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jun 20, 2014

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Yup Max's entire family is in fact cooler than him. And also that duck.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Someone on the comments pointed out that this is five years ago... which is when she died. Maybe coincidence but we'll see.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Oh hey, it's a flashback. Guess Max's just having a vision/dream thing from bonking his head.

Is it going to turn out that Max's mom died in an accident that he feels partly responsible for? Like a tragic skateboarding accident in the "Hole pit"?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
YES

She is totally her husband's wife.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I notice that Max's mother is Extremely Cool

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Someday, Max will be able to use his powers to make scrap art as cool as his mom's.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Looking back on it I think max may be realizing the exact same thing in the last panel of that earlier page.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
I hate being the poo poo who says anything about the art, but something about her nose bothers me.

Maybe it's because compared to the other art of her it looks very different

I dunno I'll shut up now

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

Paramemetic posted:

Maybe her death was a cool thing though. Maybe there was a motorcycle involved. Or aAnd a top hat.

FTFY.

Also clearly Scrap Dragon and Max's mom are ONE AND THE SAME.

:colbert:

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Seravadon posted:

FTFY.

And she's angry that he's in a hole without supervision. It's so OBVIOUS now.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Isn't there like... a train due to run Max over any second now?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

reignonyourparade posted:

Looking back on it I think max may be realizing the exact same thing in the last panel of that earlier page.

I'm guessing that the "coincidental" affinity is more expansive than thought: mediums can already only use appropriate, color-coded tools, but there's probably deeper, thematic connections at work.

e: And what's so magnetic about baseball bats anyway? Do they "attract" baseballs?

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jun 20, 2014

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Skippy McPants posted:

If there was a train nearby that followed railroad tracks, maybe.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Pretty sure the train snake is going back underground, we did see it look like it was going to go underground one more time, until the scrapdragon intervened.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jun 20, 2014

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Skippy McPants posted:

A MAAAAAGICAL train.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Also it bends material in front of it. Such as spender's face. It's not running over anyone.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Dolash posted:

Oh hey, it's a flashback. Guess Max's just having a vision/dream thing from bonking his head.

Is it going to turn out that Max's mom died in an accident that he feels partly responsible for? Like a tragic skateboarding accident in the "Hole pit"?

Nope, boxing duck accident.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Seravadon posted:

FTFY.

The end of the series will be two chapters of Max monologuing in a void, followed by everybody congratulating him.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Oh god the author twitter says Spender is 26. That makes him younger than me. This is terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.
Teacher's salary???