Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
SAVE IS NOT EDIT I CONFUSED MY THREADS. Sorry for that it's late don't hate too much.

Could be faster but I've had some hardships along the way but I'm still happy with my progress. Still trying to close this out by the end of the year that's my goal. I got stuck with some medical bills I didn't see coming so yay progress either way.

Veskit fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jun 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

He's judging my hair budget. Gotta stand up for myself. :colbert:

Dang, I thought my budget wasn't that bad. Obviously I could live more frugally, but I've cut back a lot! (Think tuyop - I took two multi-week vacations to Europe two summers in a row…)

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Veskit posted:

Was there even a question? I just saw a list of things you want to do and then you asked if there's a way to figure out WSG? Yeah you can figure that out pretty easily? Are we done here now?

I thought this was the discussion thread. Was just discussing my finances...

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

spinst posted:

I thought this was the discussion thread. Was just discussing my finances...

I fixed what I wrote. Apologies all around. Though you can afford to be more frugal. I thought I edited that but eh.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I think your budget is sufficiently responsible. You have a decent chunk of money going into an emergency fund, and a bit going into retirement (I'm guessing since you're a teacher you get a pension?), and you're overpaying on the car to get it done faster.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
So BFC I'm gonna have like... I dunno, 4 grand more in net income over the next year compared to my last year. Which is significant for me.

Everyone pick a BFC superstar and give me "advice" as if you were them.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Cicero posted:

I think your budget is sufficiently responsible. You have a decent chunk of money going into an emergency fund, and a bit going into retirement (I'm guessing since you're a teacher you get a pension?), and you're overpaying on the car to get it done faster.

Yeah, pension. As of now, anyway! Legislature tried to vote it out and convert everyone under a certain age to a 401(k) last year, luckily they did not. I've got 4 more years until I'm fully vested. Pension + my 401(a) (10% pre-tax) + puny Roth IRA. I'll have 40 years into the pension if I retire at 62. Good lord.

My salary would be around 12% more than what it is if our legislature hadn't voted to suspend our cost-of-living allowances 6 years ago. Jerks. :argh: I've been teaching 6 years, so I've never gotten one. :( I think we get COLA again starting in the 2015-2016 school year.

100 HOGS AGREE:

No time to think. Just ball out. Buy some sweet sweater vests and head to the opera! Take drugs.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

So BFC I'm gonna have like... I dunno, 4 grand more in net income over the next year compared to my last year. Which is significant for me.

Hire an artist to put a scorpion mural on your wall.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

You should go ahead and spend that money now since it's definitely coming in later and won't be needed for other expenses :v:

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Have you seen the all new 2015 Mini Cooper?

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

spinst posted:

Yeah, pension. As of now, anyway! Legislature tried to vote it out and convert everyone under a certain age to a 401(k) last year, luckily they did not. I've got 4 more years until I'm fully vested. Pension + my 401(a) (10% pre-tax) + puny Roth IRA. I'll have 40 years into the pension if I retire at 62. Good lord.

My salary would be around 12% more than what it is if our legislature hadn't voted to suspend our cost-of-living allowances 6 years ago. Jerks. :argh: I've been teaching 6 years, so I've never gotten one. :( I think we get COLA again starting in the 2015-2016 school year.

100 HOGS AGREE:

No time to think. Just ball out. Buy some sweet sweater vests and head to the opera! Take drugs.

I assume you have the summer's off, ideally what you'd do if you want something shiny (a new apartment, cat) is work for it. Part time job over the summer or teaching summer school or something? It's probably too late now for summer school but you could probably find a part-time gig somewhere for a few months to help offset some of the costs if you really really want it.

I think your budget looks pretty good as is, I don't think there is much to carve out of that so you're stuck with earning more money. Just a reminder that cats/pets can be quite expensive.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Get personalized chocolate pool tables for EVERYONE YOU KNOW.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Move your presents budget to a monthly expense.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Personally, I try to spend at least $600/mo on drinking. It keeps me from thinking about making $45k/year as a public servant and having $80k in student loans.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Ok fine:

http://www.pacificyurts.com/products/default.aspx

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

lease a Lamborghini and buy a gold plated fake arm

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Have you considered season tickets to the local college football team? Clearly it is a reasonable expense to escape from the drudgery of day-to-day life.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

revengeanceful posted:

Have you considered season tickets to the local college football team? Clearly it is a reasonable expense to escape from the drudgery of day-to-day life.

Should go for opera tickets plus drugs to allow you to enjoy opera.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I might consider a yurt but I'd build an actual bathroom in it, I'm not making GBS threads in a bucket.

Some of my interests actually align with tuyop's. hosed up but true.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I might consider a yurt but I'd build an actual bathroom in it, I'm not making GBS threads in a bucket.

Some of my interests actually align with tuyop's. hosed up but true.

A 4k yurt is only going to be like 100sq feet, so it might work as a shed or absurd car port. The total cost is probably more like 5k, though, in which case you could just get a prefab 10x10 shed for <2k.

And the beauty of the composting toilet is that you don't have to spend like 30k on some other solution, just $60 worth of... Materials. And you save on compost forever. :colbert:

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

tuyop posted:

A 4k yurt is only going to be like 100sq feet, so it might work as a shed or absurd car port. The total cost is probably more like 5k, though, in which case you could just get a prefab 10x10 shed for <2k.

And the beauty of the composting toilet is that you don't have to spend like 30k on some other solution, just $60 worth of... Materials. And you save on compost forever. :colbert:
I'm sorry. A bucket with sawdust in it.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
I hope YNAB goes on sale this Steam Sale. Mint has been broken for the last month and I'm pretty tired of its poo poo.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

For what it's worth, it's already 25% off. I'd bet that they're going to knock it down a little more for at least one day, though.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
It's funny, the program ended up costing very little for us because I did a phone survey with them. Jessie Mecham hisself called me at work and then they sent me some t-shirts and a $50 amazon card. And a bunch of codes for free t-shirts I gave to goons from my thread. :glomp:

It's so good that I really wouldn't mind paying for it again. Wish they had an iPad app that let you switch up budget categories, though. Or a webapp. IFTTT integration would be awesome.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Buy a Mini Cooper, how is this even a question.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
How many bitcoins can 4k buy?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Nail Rat posted:

How many bitcoins can 4k buy?

Right now?

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz

FrozenVent posted:

Right now?

What about now?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

tuyop posted:

Wish they had an iPad app that let you switch up budget categories, though. Or a webapp. IFTTT integration would be awesome.
I do, too! I also wish it would connect to my banks automatically. The fact that it doesn't really sucks. I am diligent about downloading and importing all transactions, but its so much more time consuming than Quicken. Especially now that I manage my gf's budget, too... FFS YNAB people, get with it.

And I wish my sister would use the copy I bought her. She's going to need to use it once she graduates next spring and moves to DC as an intern. lolol.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
They are working on both a web version and an ipad version. They seem to be on Valve time in that dev cycle though.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

dreesemonkey posted:

I assume you have the summer's off, ideally what you'd do if you want something shiny (a new apartment, cat) is work for it. Part time job over the summer or teaching summer school or something? It's probably too late now for summer school but you could probably find a part-time gig somewhere for a few months to help offset some of the costs if you really really want it.

I think your budget looks pretty good as is, I don't think there is much to carve out of that so you're stuck with earning more money. Just a reminder that cats/pets can be quite expensive.

I feel ya. That's not a bad idea, honestly. I will be subbing for a week of summer school for my friend, so that will bring in a little extra money. Though with the way our pay schedule works I won't see it until the end of August. It's hard to find a part-time job (not that I've looked!) that works with the summer schedule, because although I don't technically "work," I have lots of trainings (some paid, some not), meetings, plus work to do around the classroom. Plus it's nice to go and see my family and whatnot.

I'm hoping a few more summer trainings will pop up, since I only have one (with maybe one more coming) scheduled right now in addition to the week of summer school. That'll net me ~$500 which will at least offset the pet deposit.

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Start a college fund for your niece. :v:

but seriously, personalized chocolate pool tables made me :lol:

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Mint has its issues but the last thing I want to do is spend an hour of my time recording transactions in excel or YNAB. With Mint I can just log in, check our spending, think about our spending, change a few categories and then head out.

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Go buy a LOADED Nissan and don't even read the purchase agreement. You deserve it.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

antiga posted:

Go buy lease a LOADED Nissan and don't even read the purchase agreement. You deserve it.

Dude, seriously. Rookie mistake.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Mint has its issues but the last thing I want to do is spend an hour of my time recording transactions in excel or YNAB. With Mint I can just log in, check our spending, think about our spending, change a few categories and then head out.

I find doing it by hand really keeps you honest though. It hits home when you spent something you probably shouldn't have...

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah I'm totally onboard with the manual entering of transactions. It's quick enough to just grab stuff off of mint and add it in if you forget something. But we only make like 40 transactions a month and record most on the spot.

flynt
Dec 30, 2006
Triggerhappy and gunshy

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Spend all 4000$ on wonder hangers which is around 3216 wonder hangers. If you run out of closet space buy a bigger house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Buy the house of your dreams and have another kid.